The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

It's probably just the manufacturer estimate, it'll probably smoke those times by a large margin if you wanted it to. The outgoing RS6 hit a 4.2 0-60 with C&D behind the wheel, but most other mags could only get a 4.5. My guess is it probably has taller gearing since it's German and plus being twin turbo puts a lot of the HP at higher RPM even if the torque is all down low. Let's just hope Audi keeps it stateside for more than one year unlike the old RS6.

The first Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport has been sold for a whopping $3.19 million ($2.9 million winning bid + 10% auction premium) at the Gooding & Company auction. In addition to the removable glass-top roof, the Grand Sport includes a cloth top that folds like an umbrella and can be stored in the trunk - which, of course, leaves room for nothing else.

2009-Bugatti-Veyron-16-4-Grand-Sport-Production-Version-Duo-3-1920x1440.jpg

2009-Bugatti-Veyron-16-4-Grand-Sport-Production-Version-Folding-Roof-Open-1920x1440.jpg

2009-Bugatti-Veyron-16-4-Grand-Sport-Production-Version-Folding-Roof-Opening-1920x1440.jpg

2009-Bugatti-Veyron-16-4-Grand-Sport-Production-Version-Folding-Roof-Storage-1920x1440.jpg

2009 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Production Version

Left Lane News - First Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Sells for More Than $3 Million

You guys wanna' talk pathetic, how's this: some of the guys at work have convinced me to try auto-crossing this Sunday. Look, my machines are outdated, and sometimes I get the gas and the brake mixed up, but I figured I should at least give this a try just for the sake of having done it. My question is this: which car should I take out? Obviously the Charger and the Z28 'vert are out of the question, so I've narrowed it down to the Mustang and the T/A.

I figure I should take the Mustang, because I believe it handles better than the T/A and the lower power will keep me from getting in over my head. However, the auto-cross regulars tell me to take the T/A because it's "that much faster, and therefor you'll learn faster." That's alot of car to drive in "extreme" conditions and I'm just not sure if I'll be able to keep up.

Another problem I have with this is the potential amount of damage I might do to the cars. Obviously, if I'm bold/stupid enough to race I should be able to take a bloody nose or a damaged fender, but I don't plan on making this a regular activity, so once again, which car should I take out? I'm grateful for your guys' advice...

Edited by myk

To be completely honest, I expect neither of those cars will perform particularly well. But it's your first time, so you'll probably do poorly no matter WHAT kind of car you drive. My advice is to take whichever car you feel more comfortable in. Power helps but it isn't everything. Also, autocross tends to have lots of tight turns and the quicker you can lock the steering wheel from side to side the easier it'll be.

But really, no matter what you take you'll have fun. Just worry about getting a feel for it rather than putting down good times

Hey, thanks for the response. No, I'm not looking to set the auto-crossing world on fire, I just wanna' give this a shot to see what it's like. If I really wanted to get serious, I'd buy a Miata like the guys at work all drive/run.

You're point about the lock-to-lock wheel turns is really important-I can't believe I didn't think about that.

I hope it helps, just focus on having a good time. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Edit: You should ask around and see if there are any guys at your event running in the CP (pretty sure thats the one... it's been a few years since I've been out to an auto-x event) class. They tend to be guys running seriously modified muscle cars specifically designed to for auto-x, so they're a bit crazy. They generally spend a lot of time sliding around bu tit looks like a LOT of fun. Just goes to show there's a lot more out there than Miatas.

Edited by yellowlightman

Even the R/T's numbers are disappointing.

I recently ran across some pretty funny numbers reading the July iss of Automobile magazine. I flip through to a comparison test between the Aston Martin DBS & Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano, to decide which is 'closer to the ultimate GT.' On pg 83 are the Test Results for a basic range of parameters: 0-60(sec); 0-100(sec); 0-120(sec); 30-70mph passing; 1/4 mile; 70-0 braking; and cornering(G).

Then I go to pg 64 for the numbers on the Challenger. Naturally, the Challenger was behind the exotics in nearly every category. But the Dodge bruiser was actually closer than one would expect in a few categories; only 0.9 sec slower to 60mph and 2.3 sec slower to 120mph than the Aston. The Challenger even posted a better 30-70mph passing result than the Aston (by only .1 sec), and averaged 0.88 G vs the 599GTB's 0.91 G. Surprisingly closer than one might expect, considering this coming from a lowly muscle-boat that costs a fraction of what the super-GTs command. At first, I thought: wow, this could be a bit of something for Dodge/SRT to boast about.

Then, I flip to the comparo article on the BMW X6 and Infiniti FX50, and go to pg 56 for their Test Results. The results for Beemer X6 are nearly identical to the Challenger's performance figures, in every category. So there you have it folks. Dodge can boast and brag, thump their chests mightily with pride. Yeah, way to go, Dodge--you've given us a muscle car that pretty much has all the performance and umph of an upscale SUV. <_<

--Ed In all fairness, and so that my comments not be deemed as laced-with-venom, it is perhaps a bit less than fair to lump the Dodge in with the X6. BMW is a bit of a high-water-mark, as they happen to have a knack for building exeptional, highperformance vehicles, no matter what genre they fit into. I do happen to like the new Challenger, really. If I were in the market for a new auto, it'd be down to either the Challenger, or the Pontiac G8 GT, as far as personal ooh-I-want-one factor.

Edited by reddsun1

"Officially" my car's between the R/T and SRT8 (depending on what mag you trust--or the manufacturer), but damn hard to launch decently (FWD sucks like that)----I doubt I'd ever actually get a 5.7 out of mine. (5.9 is probably the most common number used for mine, 5.7 is claimed by GM and C&D)

I'm just kinda wondering why the Mustang GT does so well compared to mine---first link I came across said 5.1 for it. My car has nearly identical HP and torque, larger engine overall (very broad torque curve), and only slightly higher weight. Transmission----does the GT have one heck of a first gear? Sheer physics of being RWD?

Mustang's in a straight line are a strong combination of good/short gearing, low end torque, and broad power through the first 3 gears and when compared to your car, it's RWD and manual (which i think are actually stronger arguments to a faster vehicle).

The X6, eventhough it's a sport SUV uses a twin turbo 4.4L V8, so quite frankly, i would expect it to be fast even if it does weigh almost 6000lbs. The Challenger is just pitiful, and to compare it's performance to the italian marque's isn't saying much as the 599GTB and DBS are fast but the 599GTB isn't a flagship car like the Challenger, and the DBS is an Aston Martin, they're both status over performance cars (the AM more so than the 599). And .9 and 2.3 seconds doesn't sound like a lot of time, but that's a LOT of distance.

The SRT8's numbers are better, but not by much. A stock Mustang GT will still smoke it.

My 10 year old Pontiac can run with that...

The fourth installment of The Fast and the Furious film series premieres on Summer 2009. Directed by Justin Lin, who did The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, Fast and Furious reunites the core cast of the first film - Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster. Sung Kang, who appeared in Tokyo Drift, will also make an appearance.

Officials at Universal Pictures claim Fast and Furious is the true sequel to the first film. And judging by initial plot summary postings found online, it seems that the disastrous 2003 sequel 2 Fast 2 Furious may be declared non-canon.

As for the cars, no doubt that this new film will be filled with candy-coated ricers. All that aside, both the new Nissan GT-R and Hyundai Genesis Coupe are supposedly making their screen debut on the film.

What a waste of a perfectly good Buick GNX, though...

Edited by areaseven

My old '99 Firehawk was killed last week I just found out. Someone rammed it from the side totaling it. A frind of mine is buying the wreck because the hood and front bumper is still intact...my car will live on in his '02 Trans Am now.

And on another note:

Production SS Pics

http://ImageEvent.com/face440/ssatspringmountain

Wish it had the RS package on it so I could see the Halos on an SS.

Edited by Gaijin

My old '99 Firehawk was killed last week I just found out. Someone rammed it from the side totaling it. A friend of mine is buying the wreck because the hood and front bumper is still intact...my car will live on in his '02 Trans Am now.

Sorry to hear about your Firehawk.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm now really starting to get the bug and it'll be either a G8 GXP (GT if the price winds up being too good to pass up), or a Camaro SS. I might still keep the GTO if I go the G8 route, but if I go for the Camaro, I'll prob sell the goat and get either a small pickup or some used Acura or Lexus 4 door. Can't see having 2 coupes. I still have about 6 months or so, so I have a lot of time. Right now, I'm leaning towards the G8, since most of my life all I've owned were 2 door cars, and having the extra room and trunk space will be nice. But everytime I see someone watching Transformers, I get the Camaro shakes. Damn you GM!!

Edited by Gaijin

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I'm now really starting to get the bug and it'll be either a G8 GXP (GT if the price winds up being too good to pass up), or a Camaro SS. I might still keep the GTO if I go the G8 route, but if I go for the Camaro, I'll prob sell the goat and get either a small pickup or some used Acura or Lexus 4 door. Can't see having 2 coupes. I still have about 6 months or so, so I have a lot of time. Right now, I'm leaning towards the G8, since most of my life all I've owned were 2 door cars, and having the extra room and trunk space will be nice. But everytime I see someone watching Transformers, I get the Camaro shakes. Damn you GM!!

Between the Camaro and the G8, go for the G8. More room, great power, cheaper insurance, more practical, etc etc. Plus you have the advantage of both of your cars being Euro cars as opposed to actually being an American car.

Between the Camaro and the G8, go for the G8. More room, great power, cheaper insurance, more practical, etc etc. Plus you have the advantage of both of your cars being Euro cars as opposed to actually being an American car.

The G8 is actually an Australian car - it's a rebadged & slightly remodelled Holden VE Commodore, much like the GTO was a Americanised Holden Monaro...

If Ford USA had any sense they'd be getting the new FG Falcon range out onto US streets - the Turbo inline 6 is a fantastic motor... much better cars than the G8 imo, although I am a Ford fan B))

The G8 is actually an Australian car - it's a rebadged & slightly remodelled Holden VE Commodore, much like the GTO was a Americanised Holden Monaro...

If Ford USA had any sense they'd be getting the new FG Falcon range out onto US streets - the Turbo inline 6 is a fantastic motor... much better cars than the G8 imo, although I am a Ford fan B))

I know better, i just used it as a blanket term, but you're right, the label should be more appropriate. If Ford were smart they'd bring all of their Euro/Aus cars over (Ka, Focus, Mondeo, etc.), but ESPECIALLY the Falcon! That Turbo Inline 6 is wicked, and i can only imagine all of the V8 coupe egos being shot down by the unsuspecting sedan.

Yes, but it's still Front Wheel Drive...no thanks. :lol:

agreed, also isn't this 6 still based off the old chassis as opposed to using the mondeo platform? They should have also waited to debut the Speed6 with this body style instead of the former one, it probably would have done fair in the market as opposed to being canceled.

Edited by emajnthis

I know better, i just used it as a blanket term, but you're right, the label should be more appropriate. If Ford were smart they'd bring all of their Euro/Aus cars over (Ka, Focus, Mondeo, etc.), but ESPECIALLY the Falcon! That Turbo Inline 6 is wicked, and i can only imagine all of the V8 coupe egos being shot down by the unsuspecting sedan.

I need more than a wicked engine. I just don't like the Falcon's styling for some reason and I hate the name...not that "G8" isn't much better I'll admit.

And the Camaro was designed with a lot of Holden input on the same platform as the G8 (technically Zeta II with the front axle moved forward to allow larger rims and such but we're nitpicking). Those who have driven and rode in it so far say it feels much more upscale then you would have thought. So yes...American...but with a lot of input from Holden in Australia actually.

As for my little debate between the two in my mind...HUD not available in the Camaro until 2010 model year...G8 looking more tempting every day. One thing I don't like about the new Camaro which of course may change is the parking brake handle...it looks really out of place. Needs leather on it or something.

But I admit seeing the Camaro's seats may have swayed me back a little bit. Nice to have a lot of time to make this choice.

post-624-1222240629_thumb.jpg

Camaro's getting a HUD? Hmmmmmn. That could be a huge Challenger vs Camaro decider for me. (assuming I have the money and can afford the insurance when my current car's paid off)

That is AWEsome.

Anyone happen to have any pictures of what it could look like?

I need more than a wicked engine. I just don't like the Falcon's styling for some reason and I hate the name...not that "G8" isn't much better I'll admit.

And the Camaro was designed with a lot of Holden input on the same platform as the G8 (technically Zeta II with the front axle moved forward to allow larger rims and such but we're nitpicking). Those who have driven and rode in it so far say it feels much more upscale then you would have thought. So yes...American...but with a lot of input from Holden in Australia actually.

As for my little debate between the two in my mind...HUD not available in the Camaro until 2010 model year...G8 looking more tempting every day. One thing I don't like about the new Camaro which of course may change is the parking brake handle...it looks really out of place. Needs leather on it or something.

But I admit seeing the Camaro's seats may have swayed me back a little bit. Nice to have a lot of time to make this choice.

I wouldn't put a lot of faith into the seats as they may look nice but if the Corvette is any indication of their seat design then they'll have crummy bolster support and won't keep you snug worth beans.

I think the Falcon is pretty slick looking, it's kind of the anti-muscle car, sleek and modern from the heart to the skin. The G8 and GTO were actually way cooler looking as Holden's IMO, the Pontiac grill fugged them all up, but out of your potential choices, i still say G8 is the clear winner.

Vector's released more information on the WX8 as well as a new rendering of the car. It may have new headlights, but it still looks like a Camaro.

Wow, I didn't even know that Vector was still around. I can remember freaking out as a kid when I saw a Vector W8 at a gas station in the North County back in the mid 80s. What are they using for the powerplant these days?

Wow, I didn't even know that Vector was still around. I can remember freaking out as a kid when I saw a Vector W8 at a gas station in the North County back in the mid 80s. What are they using for the powerplant these days?

Something ridiculously outlandish as usual...

VECTOR WX8 SMALL BLOCK

7.8 Liter Race Proven V8

1250 hp (Supercharged) 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds

750 hp (Normally Aspirated) 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds

Quarter mile in 8.0 to10.0 seconds @ 150 to 170 mph

260-275 + mph top speed (Bonneville gearing)

VECTOR WX8 BIG BLOCK

10.0 liter 610 cid Big Block

1,850+ hp (Twin Turbocharged)

1,450 hp (Twin Supercharged quad-rotor motor)

0-60 in 2.3 to 3.5seconds

Quarter mile times 7.8 to 8.0 seconds @ 178 to 195 mph

300 mph projected top speed (Bonneville gearing)