The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

Wow, I guess laws like that would be helpful in that respect. Of course, if a law like that was implemented here I'd be taking the bus for sure.

Question: have any of you guys ever purchased tires online? I was thinking about buying from Discount Tire's direct site which seems cheaper than going local. Obviously I have reservations about buying something as important as tires that I can't see in person. For example, what happens if there's a defect? Also, how will I get these things mounted, etc? Can I expect a store to mount, balance and service tires that aren't theirs? Finally, I guess I can kiss any hope of a warranty goodbye...

Any experiences or advice on the matter is appreciated...

Hey Myk,

I've bought tires online from both Tire Rack and Discount Tire for many years (and via mail order for years upon years before that). Matter of fact, I just ordered a set from Tire Rack today. No issues, good pricing and fast delivery are the norm. Both of the above companies have very good customer service.

With regard to having them mounted, you'll probably want to just call around to your various local shops to get pricing. Some guys will charge more for the mount and balance if you're not buying the tires from them. Your nominal baseline oughta be about $20.00 for each wheel (I'm lucky to be in good with several of my local tire shops, so I usually get it done free or for a very minimal price - running a race shop has its benefits).

Another lovely GTV there, YLM. I'll have to up a pic of a really nice Duetto that I ran across in Carmel on the way to the Historics. I hung out with one of your old competitor/race pals a week or so ago - Steve K came down to my shop and hung out for awhile while he was in LA.

I have bought tires many a time from Tire Rack. Never any problems and cheaper than purchasing locally for me. Like others, I know people that help me out balancing and mounting.

Make friends at Firestone or Goodyear and your tires will thank you.

Went to a racing event last weekend with various different classes being raced (bikes and cars) and made some pics.

Formula Renault.

img1751jy9.jpg

New racing class Formula BRL. As fast as Formula 3 but less noisy and cheaper to enter.

img1826hr5.jpg

Superkarts. 200 km/h karts. Very competitive amateurs. Great to watch!

img1799dr7.jpg

Dutch Supercar Challenge. Drive anything you want, only limited to engine size and weight.

img1891gd2.jpg

img1867pi3.jpg

img1871vl7.jpg

img1873or1.jpg

img1917xl1.jpg

Chris Vermeulen doing a couple of demo laps on his MotoGP bike

img1637sb1.jpg

Camaro wheel options:

Rant: How come there's NO variation in OEM wheels any more? I swear, every single wheel the past couple years from every manufacturer has been the exact same "5 thin spokes highly polished" option. I'm really getting sick of it. (to the point that I vow my next car will not have 5 spoke wheels). I *know* 3, 6, 7, and 8 spoked are perfectly viable and decently popular, or even the "angled" 5-spokes (which I like a lot) etc. Just something other than the basic simple "5-spoke star-pattern". (4-spokes look weird to me and you don't see them that often AFAIK)

We need more "discs with holes" (non-steel) options---I do like most Lamborghini wheels. (I don't think I've ever seen a Ferrari wheel that caught my eye--very generic 5-spokes for such distinctive cars)

I see a couple of nice rides on that pic. That white car ain't too bad, either.

lol! Those girls actually got a standing ovation from the crowd.

They did a little fotoshoot with each of the twelve cars on the grid and the crowd was very,... uuuuhm,... supportive. ^_^

Camaro wheel options:

Rant: How come there's NO variation in OEM wheels any more? I swear, every single wheel the past couple years from every manufacturer has been the exact same "5 thin spokes highly polished" option. I'm really getting sick of it. (to the point that I vow my next car will not have 5 spoke wheels).

Yeah. That, and "custom two-tone" paint jobs, with the sides one color and everything above the beltline another [usually black]. C'mon people, let's come up with something else, please? Stop trying to make your car look like it was "Designed by Foose" or something. Can't wait 'til that auto trend goes out of style, like neon graphics/stripes, or curb feelers... <_<

P.S. Oh yeah, and F'ING LE MANS STRIPES ON PICKUPS. :angry:

C'mon people, let's come up with something else, please? Stop trying to make your car look like it was "Designed by Foose" or something. Can't wait 'til that auto trend goes out of style, like neon graphics/stripes, or curb feelers... <_<

Flashy cars with stripes or made of a fluorescent color are sure popular here ^_^

Hope you will post some original ones like the ford grand torino or the dodge dart . :)

By the way can you tell me who are the person on your avatar except Clint and Mister T ?

How about some woodgrain cladding? :lol:

You're an ultra :lol:

UGLIEST. MUSTANG. EVER.

But I guess it's for a good cause, but AV8R?? :blink: Really?? :blink:

I don't know much for the mustang but there are worst than that( for the pimped ones) ^_^

Edited by rubi

By the way can you tell me who are the person on your avatar except Clint and Mister T ?

The others are:

Tamara Dobson [Cleopatra Jones] "She's 6 feet 2" of Dynamite...and the Hottest Super Agent Ever!" ^_^

Richard Roundtree [shaft]

Toshiro Mifune

I can't believe some people actually invest money and time into something that ugly. I wonder if the buyer knew what the end result was gonna look like.

Imagine having to drive one of those things down a busy street.

I once drove a Ferrari (328 GTS) for a couple of hours and even though I enjoyed it (despite the complete lack of room for my legs and feet), it was also kind of embarrassing, with the way people were looking at me.

::EDIT:: Not that a Ferrari 328 is ugly BTW. B))

Edited by Dante74

You don't know ugly until you've seen this...

The inside is surely functional unlike outdoors ^_^

The others are:

Tamara Dobson [Cleopatra Jones] "She's 6 feet 2" of Dynamite...and the Hottest Super Agent Ever!" ^_^

Richard Roundtree [shaft]

Toshiro Mifune

I knew I saw Toshiro Mifune in The legend of Musashi . Nevermind , before I start writing without being able to stop : thanks . :)

Someone in the restaurant brought in an SRT8 Challenger today. If it hadn't been so busy, I could've chatted up the owner...

chal1a.jpg

chal3a.jpg

chal4a.jpg

The ass on that thing really looks terrible, especially in that first picture. Yeesh. It's like they got the proportions right for the rest of the car and then got lazy at the end.

looks like one of those old 240SX's from the nineties.