The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

My brother has a 2.5XT Forester and his car has hill assist, i HATE hill assist, i wish there was a way to disable it, anyone who's driven manual for longer than 10 minutes knows how to take off on a hill.

I heard those same rumors about the RWD light coupe, but it's going to be met by a lot of competition so i'm under the impression that it might not be able to hold it's own unless they beef up the powerplant. Nissan is supposed to come with a new Silvia/240SX that uses a 2.0L turbo (not SR derived supposedly) Inline 4 to put the finishing touches on their sports car lineup, and not to mention Hyundai's 2.0L turbo Genesis coupe. For some reason i don't think a RWD coupe in Subaru's lineup will do them much good, especially since one of their biggest marketing ploys for the past decade is based around the fact that they're entire lineup is AWD. I'm still hopeful that Subaru will release an Impreza or Impreza brethren in the same spirit of the 22B. A light weight turbo AWD coupe with a slightly exclusive beefed up motor. Either that, or go balls out and build a 3.5+L H6 twin turbo full size sports coupe similar to the new GT-R, but we all know that won't happen since they're now buddies with Toyota.

I don't know... People keep saying that a RWD is a proper sports car form so I guess we'll have to wait until we test drive this thing. The only reason why I bought my car is because the test drive was just spectacular. 10 test drives later and you own the car :lol: If I can do a perfect sliding u turn, and the car handles well above 70 mph then I'll buy it! I have tried the u-turn maneuver in my gf's BMW 325i and it was scary. So scary. I would seriously pray for a 22b with all the new tweaks to the engine. OMG it would be the best car ever. Specially since the new models have much more high tensile steel to improve body rigidity. A new Silvia sounds awesome, and the Genesis sounds too good for company with really no experience in sport cars. Again, we have to test drive all these cars when they come out. I have to remind myself to test drive all of them. I seriously adore the handling in my car, but I have the car bug. I really want to see if I am missing on something great out there.

Yeah, I know this is not Subaru's proper marketing strategy. Car makers are always at war, so I guess anything is valid. I'm seriously considering keeping my car, but I must see more.

I personally don't like Toyota messing around with Subaru. It could be good... bad... I'm just waiting

For those with the $$$ to blow, and think the upcoming Z06 just isn't enough. :blink:

gallery2.jpg

"Conceived, designed, developed and constructed by the championship-winning Pratt & Miller team, the Corvette C6RS bristles with sophisticated materials and race-inspired technology. Pratt & Miller can take your Corvette Z06 and transform it into a C6RS supercar. The aggressively styled lightweight body, made entirely of carbon fiber, measures 1.6 inches wider than a production Corvette Z06. The carbon fiber front fascia has integrated brake ducts and ram air induction. Aerodynamic enhancements include functional front fender louvers, a carbon fiber underwing and rear diffuser, enlarged front wheel vents and rear brake ducts, an integrated rear spoiler, and a front splitter.

Powered by a Katech Performance 8.2-liter (500ci) all-aluminum small-block V-8 engine that produces 600 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. torque, the Pratt & Miller Corvette C6RS employs a purpose-built carbon fiber body to reduce weight and improve aerodynamic efficiency. A computer-controlled adjustable suspension system, center-nut forged aluminum BBS wheels with Michelin tires, and massive Brembo monobloc disc brakes enhance vehicle dynamics. A two-tone leather interior and a comprehensive sound control system produce a quiet, comfortable environment for driver and passenger."

Jeezus.... :wacko:

http://www.prattmiller.com/c6rs/

Edited by reddsun1

I think you meant upcoming ZR-1, but i would own the P&M C6RS over the ZR-1 anyday, the body work alone would be worth it. They made the vette look fantastic, even the interior is acceptable, and of course the motor is amazing.

Nothing like wigging out on LS1tech.com...

I have never put 87 in my car, but does it make that big of a difference?

I cannot BELIEVE there are people out there who are even considering anything less than premium gas. The owner's manual specifically calls for the use of premium gas. PREMIUM GAS!!!!!!! These are high compression cars with computer controlled engines that are set up to run on PREMIUM GAS!!!!

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

Jesus, I'm sick of hearing this same s**t topic come up all of the time...

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

Oh, and if the cost of premium gas is a problem for anyone then there's a cute little Civic with your name on it...

Here, regular vs premium is 10 cents difference. 2.5% at current prices. If 2 or 3 percent makes the difference, you can't afford the car, period.

Also--for those cars which CAN use regular but "recommend" premium--the change in MPG usually MORE than offsets the price difference. I.E., buy 4% cheaper gas, but use 6% more of it...

Ok let me leach off your guys' know-how for a bit:

I need some good interior cleaner for my Grand Prix, but I know nothing of it. Tried some Armor-All but it didn't do much of anything. Mine has leather seats and rubber-I guess for the doors and dashboard.

Sorry, can't really help---my Grand Prix(s) simply never got very dirty inside. (I am so very strict about not allowing food etc in my car---and don't even think about getting inside with muddy shoes).

I have read at the GP forum that Meguiar's (not McGuire's) Leather Wipes are pretty good/recommended.

Most of the time I just like using a damp towel for most interior cleaning (basically dusting) Steering wheel and door panels sometimes gets "a tiny bit of palmolive and water" via damp towel.

I cannot BELIEVE there are people out there who are even considering anything less than premium gas. The owner's manual specifically calls for the use of premium gas. PREMIUM GAS!!!!!!! These are high compression cars with computer controlled engines that are set up to run on PREMIUM GAS!!!!

PREMIUM GAS!!!!x100

Is 87 octane fuel really that bad for every engine? When I run "regular" all that happens is this pinging type noise that sounds like BB's shaken up in an empty can. I don't have an LS1, so is it safe for mine?

p8140050ts1.jpg

The extra $ one saves at the pump goes a long way toward that new engine. ^_^

Edited by Wicked Ace

If your manual says to use premium gas, then use premium gas. Your owner's maual is your car's best friend. Obey the manual!

It's only silly and wasteful to use premium gas in an economy car.

well, unless you drive an older car and you need the extra octane to keep the engine from knocking.

"Only" pinging? What would you consider bad? "Only" bone-jarring explosions?

I'm going to use this "spray" my local speed shop installed to try to get rid of the pinging -- I've got a 10 lb. bottle of this "oxidizer" plumbed into the inlet tube just before the throttle body, so why not? :blink:

Edited by Wicked Ace

Well thanks for the advice David, I think i saw that stuff at Walmart, also my mom recommended some "Mothers" brand stuff they use at her work, might see if they have that at PepBoys.

Yeah that pinging is probably bad, I'd just pay the extra 3 bucks to get 93 octane. My manual says that I can use 87 but because of the turbocharger it recommends 93 as long as there's no kicking, but this is the first I've heard that using lower octane than recommended lowers fuel efficiency. I haven't seen a decrease in mine.

Everyone has their arguments for regular vs premium in performance cars, in most cases for a motor that isn't force induced and running compression that isn't much higher than 10:1 it's no big deal since regular won't combust fast enough for preignition, but when driving a turbo or supercharged vehicle, you won't notice much difference until the turbocharger or supercharger hits its optimal RPM (since that's when the air fuel mixture is high enough to cause pre-ignition), and in that regard, it can seriously damage your motor and 'cause "pinging". Also some of the more premium components used like fuel injectors can get clogged up by using crappier gas and would offset the "at the pump" savings you would receive by using a downgraded octane. I think for the LS series motors it's not a big deal, i have friends that have been using 87 in their LS1/2's for awhile with no pinging and only a mild difference in performance but only if they're dumping the throttle. I've seen similar results with Nissan's VQ35 and my buddies RX-8 (13B Renesis) having no ill effects from lower octane, while my brother's Forester (EJ25 Turbo) acts retarded above 3000rpm, but again, i think that supports the idea that it's due to it being force induced and has more air assisting ignition above 3krpm.

my brother's Forester (EJ25 Turbo) acts retarded above 3000rpm, but again, i think that supports the idea that it's due to it being force induced and has more air assisting ignition above 3krpm.

I only know one person with a forced induction car that has tried running anything less than 91 octane -- not a smart guy, but his engine builder sure likes him.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Ok let me leach off your guys' know-how for a bit:

I need some good interior cleaner for my Grand Prix, but I know nothing of it. Tried some Armor-All but it didn't do much of anything. Mine has leather seats and rubber-I guess for the doors and dashboard.

I swear by using swiffer dusting pads in my car and truck, they lift dust off the dash annd all the instrumentation panels and get it out of the little cracks and crevises that a rag just pushes it into. For all the rubber seals around door frames, hood and trunk I use Armor all Ultra shine, it contains zero petroleum products so it protects, cleans and does not damage the seals. The stuff is ultra slippery so you should never use it on floor, steering wheel or gear shift knobs because you can lose your grip, but it is fanstastic for seals.

There is a pproduct called Zymol I believe that is a very nice leather conditioner, check it out the next tmie you go shopping, as with most leather cleaning/conditioning products you have to read and follow the directions so you don't damage or discolor your leather.

• 3 weeks later...
People do it all the time, dude. Just because someone drives an american car doesn't make them any less of an idiot compared to the moron in the slammed honda.

I guess I'm lucky-haven't had the misfortune of seeing anything like that around here, even at the local cruises and stuff...

I liked the NSX better when it was going to look like this

hondahsc03.jpg

I'm not a fan of the direction the next gen NSX went, it's too much like the LF-A, plus i'm not a fan of V10 configurations since no company has created a naturally balanced V10. Companies use 90 degree bank angles instead of the naturally balanced 72 degree bank angle which means balance shafts are used to harmonically balance the motor. It's often done so they can get more bang for the buck (building a V8 from a V10 a la BMW, or building a V10 from a V8 a la Audi/Lambourghini) when it comes down to production costs and R&D for the block. There's no reason that Honda should be building a 90 degree V10 since they have to build 72 degree V10's for Formula 1 and other sports all the time, there should be no reason that a production V10 should be any different especially since it'll be such a low volume car anyway, that is unless they plan to develop a V8 from this motor (which i kind of hope they do then having a 90 degree V10 is excusable).

Edited by emajnthis