The Dark Knight Thread

All reports I've read/heard were that Heath was completely finished filming before he died and that none of the movie was altered because of his death. Of course the only ones who really know for sure are the director and the crew, but that's what's been said. :)

Yep all principal shooting was done and the only thing that was a slight problem after his death was his audio. They were saying that sometimes after shooting a movie the actors go back into redub their voices to make them clearer but everything sounded fine to me. Plus he was already shooting another movie when he died so nothing about The Dark Knight was changed because of it.

Fighting style, huh? Well, the Joker eclipsed every other character in that movie, so I didn't really notice. I have yet to see the movie in IMAX, which will be my fifth time out...

Didn't Heath die before the movie was finished? So they must have had to do some altering to the ending. Maybe he was going to get the ick originally?

Anyone in the know? Would the movie have been longer? Or did heath die right after they finished shooting all the scenes...

Yeah I mean if he died before they finished I think they'd tried to kill Joker off the series instead of let him live. Now they got an awesome character that's going to sit in a jail cell this whole version, unless they decide to make Mark Hamill the Joker. ^_^

I honestly think that they're pretty f'd as far as the joker, cuz anyone else who tries to ape that performance will look like he's trying too hard. And if they go with a new take on Joker, it'll be too inconsisent. I think they need to let Joker go unless Nolan is still directing Batman movies after 5 other sequels.

Yeah I mean if he died before they finished I think they'd tried to kill Joker off the series instead of let him live. Now they got an awesome character that's going to sit in a jail cell this whole version, unless they decide to make Mark Hamill the Joker. ^_^

mark hamil deserves it. he's got the voice, he's just in need of some paint. :p

Did anyone get the feeling that the story was altered towards the end to make Joker the main man instead of ol' Bats? I felt that they struggled with how to end the story with the alteration and it felt kinda protracted before the ending. Not that I'm complaining though. They did a good job it's the result that matters.

I really didn't get that feeling. If anything, I got the feeling that the story between Bats and Joker was about a struggle between two polar and philosophical opposites.

Also, that ending with Joker is very symbolic of a certain tarot card (the Fool, I think :unsure: ). Essentially at the end, when the Joker is hanging upside down on one leg, he's acting as if his view of the world from that tied-up position is normal. He acts as if his topsy-turvy view is correct; it's the rest of the world with their right-side-up view that have it all wrong. Considering how cerebral Nolan can be, I wouldn't be surprised if this ending, this scene, and that interpretation were Nolan's original intention, even before Ledger's death.

In any case, I think Bats was still the center of the film with both the Joker and Dent being the next major players of the film.

If you watch it more than once you can see the balance better. Just that Heath is so damn good.

Also unrelated to this movie but interesting to find out, that Angelina Jolie could be the next Catwoman. I read it on my paytv

news and said it's a rumour, not saying it would be part of the current batman movies (bale) or a separate movie itself.

Whilst i'd prefer a younger but equally hot actress, i think Jolie would do a good job.

Anyone can dig up a reliable source link?

Don't know about that, but the latest rumor I heard was Johnny Depp as The Riddler in the next movie.

Yeah and Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin. I'll wait till they actually move into production before taking any of that news.

I think it is just all speculation because this isn't the first time they mention Hoffman for Penguin. Back when Dark Knight was first optioned he was talked about as being the Penguin and Nolan said no because it doesn't quite fit into the realism that he has worked so hard to portray in the film. Depp as the Riddler might be interesting but I think Nolan would go elsewhere with it. This is just what Hollywood would like to see, not his vision. If you have noticed for his main characters he likes to go out of the mainstream and acquire people that he feels is right. When Ledger was first announced as the Joker everyone was up in arms saying it wouldn't work but now look. After the first leaking of footage with him in it, it won everyone over. I think that if he were indeed to take up the Riddler that he might go to another actor that is more under the rader or not as main stream. The only mainstream people that are in his movies were Freeman, Caine, and Neeson and they still aren't the star quality the Depp is right now. While Depp is a truly amazing actor and would do well within the franchise I don't think he will be in it.

Nolan has already said, a few times I think, that he's not interested in using the Penguin. Fine by me. I could see a lesser director tripping over themselves to recruit Jack Black as the Penguin. Luckily Nolan's not that kind of director (nothing against JB, he makes a fine panda).

I really don't know who I'd like to see as the next main villain or canon character. It's hard to imagine anyone matching or surpassing Ledger's Joker. I can think of a few characters I'd absolutely NOT want to see, like Catwoman and Robin. I'm almost thinking I'd be content if there were no more sequels. Either that or I'd be interested to see an original villain that isn't from the comics.

Catwoman would be ok... Except for the whole Nine Lives schtick, I still like Pfeiffer's Catwoman and think it could translate well. They should introduce the "normal" character in the next movie and maybe make her Catwoman in the 4th. I definitely think there should be a Robin/Nightwing angle. Keep him for one or two movies as Robin and then transition him to Nightwing... Done in a more serious manner, it can avoid any camp but the character(s) are an important part of the Batman story.

Catwoman would be ok... Except for the whole Nine Lives schtick, I still like Pfeiffer's Catwoman and think it could translate well. They should introduce the "normal" character in the next movie and maybe make her Catwoman in the 4th. I definitely think there should be a Robin/Nightwing angle. Keep him for one or two movies as Robin and then transition him to Nightwing... Done in a more serious manner, it can avoid any camp but the character(s) are an important part of the Batman story.

Bale said there will never be a Robin while he is Batman, saying Batman works alone. But you never know what will change. But seriously with the series dark and the way it is I don't know if Robin would work in it.

There's (unsubstantiated) rumors that Angelina Jolie has expressed interest in playing Catwoman. Even if it's true, there's no script yet, much less any guarantee that Nolan wants to do a third film at this point. Complicating matters, Bale will likely have a deal in place to do the three Terminator sequels, so there's his schedule to work around too.

Bale said there will never be a Robin while he is Batman, saying Batman works alone. But you never know what will change. But seriously with the series dark and the way it is I don't know if Robin would work in it.

well if they somehow decide that Robin is going to be in a Nolan Batman movie, I hope they make it Carrie Kelly even though she's part of the Frank Miller Batverse.

Since we're talking rumors, did anyone mention that Frank Miller gave 300 director, Zack Snyder, blessings to do the Dark Knight Returns movie at comicon?

I read that also. That's awesome, but I don't think it'll happen until after Nolan is done with his run. I don't see DC and WB allowing there to be 2 live action Batman franchises running concurrently.

So who would Snyder get to play old Wayne/Bats? Gerard Butler?

This is.....GOTHAM :lol:

Edited by chowyunskinny

I read that also. That's awesome, but I don't think it'll happen until after Nolan is done with his run. I don't see DC and WB allowing there to be 2 live action Batman franchises running concurrently.

So who would Snyder get to play old Wayne/Bats? Gerard Butler?

This is.....GOTHAM :lol:

he's too old now, but I always thought clint eastwood would make an awesome old batman. Maybe if they do a live action Batman Beyond :p

he's too old now, but I always thought clint eastwood would make an awesome old batman. Maybe if they do a live action Batman Beyond :p

well it's funny that you mention that because in Allstar Batman and Robin by Frank Miller and Jim Lee, when Dick Grayson meets bats for the first time, he says to himself:

"that's not his real voice, it's like he's doing some lameass Clint Eastwood impersonation"

Edited by chowyunskinny

I've never done a triple-visit to any movies, but tonight I went back for the third time and it was just as good. I picked a smaller local theatre with less audio buff and the dialog came out much better.

Still gave me tingles in the spine when the movie ended with the line: "So we'll hunt him, because he can take it..." To me, this is what makes this Batman the best of them all.

Edited by Mowe

See it while you can! Somebody posted a bootleg of a deleted scene on Youtube. It looks like it got cut quite late in production, since it has a final sound mix and score. I wonder where this fits in the movie?

Isn't that just so typical Hans Zimmer? Over scores every scene... sheesh, and please, could use some original queues. <_<:lol:

Hope Morgan Freeman is okay, the report I read said he was in serious condition but that he was joking with the firefighters while they were extracting him from the wreck.

Isn't that just so typical Hans Zimmer? Over scores every scene... sheesh, and please, could use some original queues. <_<:lol:

Hope Morgan Freeman is okay, the report I read said he was in serious condition but that he was joking with the firefighters while they were extracting him from the wreck.

I hope Ms. Daisy is OK too.

That's usually a pretty good sign that someone's ok in my experience.

That video was brilliant but he really should have stopped in the toy aisle, he is sorely in need of a new Batmobile after all. ;)