The Gurren Lagann Thread.

I am not sure if Gurren Lagan was based on a manga, but if it is did they explain what the Anti-spiral Nemesis was, or did they show it/them in the Manga.

No. Gurren Lagann is an anime original. And they did explain the spiral nemesis in the anime.

Basically its a doomsday-like void that will devour everything due to the innate instincts of greed from Spiral beings. Someone probably could explain it better. The anti-spirals were close to being the spiral nemesis so they stopped their own evolution and declared themselves protectors of the universe by destroying any other spiral beings that come close to evolve into the spiral nemesis.

No. Gurren Lagann is an anime original. And they did explain the spiral nemesis in the anime.

Basically its a doomsday-like void that will devour everything due to the innate instincts of greed from Spiral beings. Someone probably could explain it better. The anti-spirals were close to being the spiral nemesis so they stopped their own evolution and declared themselves protectors of the universe by destroying any other spiral beings that come close to evolve into the spiral nemesis.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the movie is reused animation and shortened scenes from the tv series. The final 30 minutes are all new animation though, and will be a real treat to the fans. Best part of the new animation?

Yoko vs Adiane!!

The gattai-ed 4 generals were kinda lame though since they just fired some Macross Plus colourful missiles and then get pwned right away.

Gainax's money-milking-make-a-movie-strategy?

It was so poorly edited, I was shocked. They even butcher the the Genome "Spiral Champion" prequel story that opens to movie, taking all meaning out of it by removing the sequence where he gives in to the anti-spirals and turns against his own kind. One minute he's fighting for the spirals, the next thing you know he's killing them all.

It was so poorly edited, I was shocked. They even butcher the the Genome "Spiral Champion" prequel story that opens to movie, taking all meaning out of it by removing the sequence where he gives in to the anti-spirals and turns against his own kind. One minute he's fighting for the spirals, the next thing you know he's killing them all.

And that right there is why I'm glad I imported the Gurra-Para DVD.

I knew the movie would SUCK as soon as I saw Revoltech Movie Yoko. Sure, her boobs are bigger - but what's with the hair?

I mean - Movie Yoko's hair seems to just like - all hang out. Usually I like that in a woman, but the huge main of hair just doesn't go well with a gall with a big butt and big boobs like Yoko. The tied-back with the chop-sticks hair was classic and perfect for her.

True, the Revoltech Movie version throws the tied-back hair part in there - so it's not bad as a Revoltech - and you get the bigger boobs - but I just kind'a thought to myself that if the movie is like Yoko's hair - with the hair let down - then the movie will probably not be that good.

I haven't seen it yet though...

I have however been watching GL the series for the past couple of days again. I'm just finishing up. It's sooooo awesome! :)

I really want a Soul of CHogokin Gurren Lagann - but a COMPLETE one.

I want Bandai to make it so that we get Lagann and Gurren, and then Arc Gurren Lagann, and then the Moon GL and finally Universe/Galaxy GL... all in one package. Make it so the parts are add-on or something like that.

In any event, I might check the movie out later - but judging by what Duke Togo said, I probably will not do so unless I'm really really bored :)

Pete

Don't think they'll be a SOC Gurren Lagann or Gurren Lagann anything, anytime soon; unless Bandai works something out with Konami. The closest you can come to a SOC is this... http://www.collectiondx.com/node/2470 It has very good reviews but way overpriced.

It'd be very interesting to see if the Studio Halfeye can work their Perfect Change, Perfect Combine magic on the Gurren and Lagann.

I'm getting the Great Impact Lagann and the Gurren Lagann Wing version from Konami, but yeah - I have to pick this thing up for sure.

I'm blindly in love with Gurren Lagann and already have the Kotobukiya models and the Revoltechs... now on to the Impact :)

But still - they could do more... although I'm glad we're getting Revoltechs for these guys...

Pete

yeah get the Great Impact Model GL! it maybe pricey but it's so handsome a figure that everytime i look at it, i forget how much $$$ i spent on it... hands down it's most handsome figure i own... and yeah the Impact Lagann is uber cool too!

Initial impressions of people who've watched the Lagann Hen movie earlier last week in Japanese theatres were favourible. Apparently lots of bricks were shat and the epic final battle was epic x 100.

So, I was posing with my gokin Great Impact Gurren Lagann, as I marvel at his leg articulation; I can't help but notice how similar his shoe design are to the classic Insta Pump Fury... even the colorway is the similar black/yellow/red. Please tell me I'm not just seeing things. :lol:

The one thing I'm not liking on the GI GL is the face - what's with the smirk? I like the Revoltech for giving him two different faces :)

Pete

Smirk? He's got a pretty stoic face, actually.

post-6466-1241184939_thumb.jpg

The GI Gurren Lagann is a pretty cool figure, but in no way worth the price you'd pay for him in my opinion. Hell, I don't think he's worth the price I paid for him and I paid retail with no markup. Still, to each their own.

So I finished watching this at about 5am this morning. I couldn't put it down once it got started.

Not only was it one of the most absurd things I'd ever seen....giant robot's throwing big bangs at each other: holy fart.

It's also got to be one of the most consistently sad things I'd ever watched. But it was in a good way, inspirational sadness....?

The emotional aspects of were really well done. Especially Simon and Yoko's depression when Kamina dies, the whole brigade trying to get it's self back together then Nia shows up and gets Simon back together.

The fact that there aren't really evil characters (I'm not gonna count the 3 of those 4 big beastmen in on this...they were designed/brainwashed that way). Genome was beaten to to point of madness but everything he does is to preserve the spirals.

Anti-spirals just don't want the universe to end.

It also had a great ending....but wow it was terribly sad. In that final battle when Nia started to sort of disappear I saw it coming and dreaded it. Simon say's it's ok...but I just don't see how he could possibly be happy after that. If one guy deserves to have his happiness it's Simon. When the ring landed at Yoko's feet I hopped that the two might end up together...not necessarily romantically but as support for each other's losses.

Just watched the movie, and it´s nothing especial, they just trying condensate the anime, hard work cos the anime is a master piece, rich on every episodes.

So I prefer the TV show x100 times, it´s epic, so don´t need any movie cos there no movie resum can match the quality of the original.

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

Final volume of the bi-langual Gurren Lagann release is out, Special Edition has the Best Sound 2 disc sountrack, and first volume of the Manga.

What I could really use is the music track...so many great pieces...

anyways - now to comment on Rbstr's thoughts...

Not only was it one of the most absurd things I'd ever seen....giant robot's throwing big bangs at each other: holy fart.

Yes - but this is what makes is so amazingly cool - they really have gone the distance in concieving of something audacious...

then Nia shows up and gets Simon back together.

This is one of my favorite parts as well - largely because Nia does it in her own special way. She's the first person to see Simon and NOT know who Kamina was. So, it's only natural that she doesn't look at Simon as being Kamina's young follower or dependent or whatever - she just sees Simon. And in this sense, with everyone else (including Simon himself) so awe struck by Kamina - someone like Nia coming in and just being like "Simon you're cool" is exactly what's needed.

Also I find it ironic that in a sense she takes Kamina's place insofar as it used to be Kamina who believed in Simon when no one else would - now Nia takes on this role.

I think Kamina would be happy.

The fact that there aren't really evil characters

Yeah - I like this too because it kind of shows that "evil" and "good" are stupid terms which don't really mean much. All of us face the same enemy: mortality and despair. The Anti-Spirals just figured that the best way to deal with it was to voluntarily stop evolution and create fictional horizons for the human psyche - whether in the form of simple religions or elaborate mind control - while the Spirals hope against hope that they will be able to beat despair and spite mortality.... I really like this a lot more than the "good vs. evil" we see elsewhere.

Heck - even the Beastmen's plight is moving. That chikcen who got his wings cut off after the fall of the Helix King... great stuff...

Simon say's it's ok...but I just don't see how he could possibly be happy after that. If one guy deserves to have his happiness it's Simon.

That right there is the kind of thinking that the Anti-Spirals dread and the justification for them trying to stop evolution. The Spiral Nemesis will result from human pride and hubris trying to surpass death.

I too was a bit puzzled at how Simon just let Nia die after overcoming all those other challenges...

But maybe we're reading it wrong?

Maybe Simon lets her die because he's happy? Because he found love?

Maybe the solution to the Spiral Nemesis is love and friendship? When people find their soul mates, fall in love and have children and take it easy in life - they become content and happy and settle down.

They do this not because they are being lied to as part of a religion - but because they are happy to spend their life with this other person....

So maybe Simon just let her die...because he had found a kind of fulfillment and final happiness?

Besides - it's now Gimmy and Darry's time to step up to the plate.

But my favorite character has got be Viral. Next to Lord Genome - he has the most extraordinary character arc of them all :)

Pete