The Sword of Omens is calling. Thundercats to return in 2007!

I thought the whole new Thundercats thing was debunked a while ago. Something about it being a proposal that had been rejected a few years ago (don't have time to look it up right now).

Personally, a re-imagining of the show would be fine with me. It's not like the original episodes were that great (which is unfortunate since the designs were nice and the premise had potential).

Actually, thundercats is one of the few shows that holds up ok over time, for me anyway. Transformers was cringe worthy, and GI Joe never came out here, so I only saw a few episodes. Tnundercats, Silverhawks, COPS, TMNT....all great shows.

Actually, TMNT is a great example of a redoing of a cartoon thats for kids and is still a brilliant view. Good stories and characters, beautiful artwork...its a fantastic series. Avatar: The Last Airbender would be another prime example of a modern day series thats just AMAZING to watch. You don't have to talk down to kids or make everything 'cooler' to have it be liked by them. Thundercats had great action, awesome characters who looked cool and had kickass weapons and great action.

And the Thundertank.

1: still doesn't make it right

2: Originality anyone?

those JO CEO's at WB need to floss some TP through their creative AC's ASAP

Stop using Old Series as PR for their FU's

Again, Its for KIDS not for their dads, it doesn't matter if we think it's right or wrong, what matters is what the kids of today think about it. If they like it then they'll make more and thats all that matters, we are not the target audience cause they expect us to be all adults by now with kids of our own and now its our turn to be moaned at by kids that want the toys. I remember moaning at my dad because i wanted the thundertank, but i never got it :( .

As for originality, that doesn't matter because they are bringing thundercats to a new audience that don't even know about the old show. Lets face it, its out with the old and in with the new, we had our thundercats now its their turn.

Gay? I would think that the old muscular version in super tights would be more gay. I think the new design is OK... better than the old one, but still needs a lil' work. I wasn't into this 'toon as a kid. Reminded me of He-Man which is really gay. By the way, what in the hell is that painting the guy before me posted? THAT looks interesting.

i was talking about the whole storyline change. Not the design... which sucks too... maybe the outfit is better but that character design is hideous.

yeah, this isnt for me... looks like it's not for Thundercat fans at all, which is totally idiotic.

Again, Its for KIDS not for their dads...

The use of the Thundercats name says otherwise.

That's a name that has no value to anyone born in the last decade.

As for originality, that doesn't matter because they are bringing thundercats to a new audience that don't even know about the old show.

No they aren't. They're bringing Josie and the Pussycats to a new audience. Only with swords.

That's like saying the new TMNT movie must be meant for adults because it's named TMNT. I don't believe that's true.

In part, it is.

I never said it was targeted SOLELY at adults, but the use of an old license is intended to make it a multi-generation product.

Duke, I dont see how u can say that as a blanket statement.

Why can't it be marketed for kids and older fans alike?

It COULD be.

It just ISN'T.

They likely realized that there are far too few OG Thundercats fans to bother catering to. So they take what is obviously a "cool" concept that kids have been shown to like, and are reworking it and doing it again.

eh shutuppa you face

:lol:

I would again site examples like the recent TMNT and Avatar; shows that are clearly kids shows, but dont treat the audience like they're idiots. And in the example of TMNT, one which appeals to fans of the original series as well as creating a generation of new fans.

I would again site examples like the recent TMNT and Avatar; shows that are clearly kids shows, but dont treat the audience like they're idiots. And in the example of TMNT, one which appeals to fans of the original series as well as creating a generation of new fans.

The original TMNT series is a joke when compared to say, the comic book, which was violent and vulgar. My TMNT killed people hard core, and all wore red.

But it's still gonna suck.

Exactly. This is the Internet, a nerd board at that. It's our right, nay, duty to batty and critize entertainment as much as we please. What else are we going to do, make the world a better place.

If you disagree this thread is not for you.

In hindsight, the original series was pretty corny, I'll admit. Towards the end of its run, they had quality and storyline issues that just sealed its imminent doom. But hey, for an 80's kid, that sh*t rocked! [and is still kewl as hell--I was recently planning on getting a t-shirt w/the T'cats logo on it...just so's I could rock dat sh*t at work on dress-down day and totally befuddle my co-workers. :p ]

But this initial impression just screams "sucks sweaty ASS"

The only glimmer of hope for this impending steaming turd is if they'll have a blooper reel for the new show too....

Mum Rah still has me ROFL every time I watch these.... :lol:

This show is still targeted at KIDS and if there are adults that watch it, it would be a added bonus for the studios. You may think the whole rock band, story and character changes are crap, but so were the cartoons we watched when we were KIDS. You may have great memories of a show in your childhood, but watch it now through your ADULT eyes you would come to realize how much crap you actually watched, I had my reality check when I watch an episode of transformers, it was not how i remembered it, it was crap. Cartoons made for the West are mainly for children and that is the market. By renewing a franchise they have a chance of creating a newer fan base. Just look at gundam why do they keep coming up with wing, x, seed etc, to create a new fan base without prior knowledge of the first show.

You may have great memories of a show in your childhood, but watch it now through your ADULT eyes you would come to realize how much crap you actually watched, I had my reality check when I watch an episode of transformers, it was not how i remembered it, it was crap.

Ain't it the truth? My wife bought me the Transformers season 1 boxset and I tried to watch it, but couldn't even make it past the first disc.

I always thought Thundercats were stupid.

name one show on at that time that wasn't stupid... it was just the concepts that was cool. I'd say Robotech was the only decent thing watchable. Gargoyles maybe...

Ain't it the truth? My wife bought me the Transformers season 1 boxset and I tried to watch it, but couldn't even make it past the first disc.

I had a very similar experience. Wow, it was atrocious. Thundercats was a little better though, I watched the first episode of that and there was some funny/creepy/odd stuff but not as terrible as Transformers or GI Joe.

I had a very similar experience. Wow, it was atrocious. Thundercats was a little better though, I watched the first episode of that and there was some funny/creepy/odd stuff but not as terrible as Transformers or GI Joe.

Well I still think that even if the cartoons kind of sucked the Transformers/GI Joe comics of the 80s were good stuff. Particularly GI Joe because while it had some fantasy elements it was written by a former solider who actually knew stuff about the army and it was popular among soldiers too.

.50....Nah. I want a more lasting effect. Toss me the 120mm HEAT rounds. I gots me a animation studio to hit.

Seriously...a rock band? I think I feel my breakfast coming back up...

[Ripley] I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. [/Ripley]

:lol:

You seem very determined to make a "they raped my childhood" argument here.

This show

is not

for

you :D

Then don't name it after something only 'we' remember

funny how every remake of a movie is compared to it's predecessor

yet for cartoons it's not applicable

if you don't want old geezers ranting about a cartoon: don't use a 20 year old idea

This show is still targeted at KIDS and if there are adults that watch it, it would be a added bonus for the studios.

A bonus they are actively pursuing through the resurrection of a franchise that's been dead for 2 decades.

You may think the whole rock band, story and character changes are crap, but so were the cartoons we watched when we were KIDS. You may have great memories of a show in your childhood, but watch it now through your ADULT eyes you would come to realize how much crap you actually watched...

Yup.

Transformers, Voltron, Captain N(Oh dear god, Captain N...), SilverHawks(Captain N squared)...

I've avoided HeMan, Thundercats, and GI Joe. For now.

... I had my reality check when I watch an episode of transformers, it was not how i remembered it, it was crap.

At least it was FUNNY crap, though. I can watch it and laugh instead of just wincing at how bad it was.

Cartoons made for the West are mainly for children and that is the market. By renewing a franchise they have a chance of creating a newer fan base. Just look at gundam why do they keep coming up with wing, x, seed etc, to create a new fan base without prior knowledge of the first show.

Why do they keep selling 100$ models of Wing, X, SEED, etc?

Because they want the older audience too.

Creating a new fan base for a dead franchise doesn't make sense from a business perspective unless you want to resurrect the old fan base too. Which requires you treat the original concept with respect lest you alienate the old fan base.

And creating a new fan base for a dead franchise doesn't make sense from a "this idea is too neat to die, kids today deserve to see the same bad-ass-itude we had" homage perspective unless you actually pay homage to the original instead of turning Thundercats into "Lion-O and the Pussycats"(or is that "Snarf and the Pussycats?" Honestly, SNARF?).