Jack Archer

Deadzone

I want to know exactly who is this Jack Archer guy. I thought he was some character made up for the PS2 video game Battle cry. However, I grew up only watching Robotech. They don't broadcast subtitled Macross shows over here. Was he a character in Macross? Since toynami is releasing a Jack Archer exclusive, I would imagine he was somebody bigger than just a made up video game character. What's the deal. :blink:

Dude, like, welcome to MacrossWorld.

But, uhh, wrong-forum, man.

This is the Toys area.

Check the Newbie-thread in Movies and TV forum above this or re-post at the Other Anime forum below this forum where they're some big discussions with regards to the Robotech YF-1R.

Edited by treatment

*SNIFF* smells like a dead Robotech rat in here....peeeww

Ah yes, always nice to see people unafraid of giving their opinion. So here is one right back at you. I can't really comment on the Macross TV series. However, I imagine I would not like it as much as Robotech considering I don't like reading my television shows and I don't plan on learning Japanese. I also like the voice acting in the Robotech series. BTW you smell like a Macross snob. :blink:

As far i as i know he is at least a character in Battecry. May be is one one too in comics but not sure.

In DC/Widstorm Robotech#0, there's a pilot that resembles Jack leading a squardron of Veritechs against malcontent Zentradie in the Badlands. His group fell into a trap and was saved by Rick in a prototype Veritech. However, HG has been ambigous on the subject.

Ah yes, always nice to see people unafraid of giving their opinion. So here is one right back at you. I can't really comment on the Macross TV series. However, I imagine I would not like it as much as Robotech considering I don't like reading my television shows and I don't plan on learning Japanese. I also like the voice acting in the Robotech series. BTW you smell like a Macross snob. :blink:

Dude, you do not know what you are missing then. Consider it HG's fault for not allowing Macross to be dubbed into English and tell the original story without any of Robotech's alterations. I find Macross to be lightyears ahead of Robotech in storyline.

Fellow Macross snobs unite!

Noriko

If you're gonna unite all over the place... try to form some sort of mighty robot like Voltron, would ya?

Otherwise... it just sounds a bit frilly. :lol:

EDITED because spelling things correctly is fun.

Edited by Blaine23

If you're gonna unite all over the place... try to form some sort of mighty robot like Voltron, would ya?

And I'll form... the head!

Go! Voltro... uh, Macross Snob force!

Don't take it personally, Deadzone. From time to time, we get snots from RT.com who come over just trolling over, looking to start a flame war. Now, whenever someone comes around, admitting that they're not familiar with Macross and talking about Robotech, we instinctively reach for our guns. In all fairness to you, you weren't trolling, you were just asking an honest question. The honest answer is that Jack Archer was made up for Battlecry. He may or may not have turned up in the comics later, but he was definately created for the game.

As far as the whole reading subs vs. watching dubs, I can respect your opinion (although I myself prefer subs, as the Japanese voices are usually much better than the American dubs). However, unlike other anime that's been shown in the States, where they just translate and maybe change a few names here and there, that's not the case with Macross/Robotech. Robotech is actually a meld of three unrelated shows, and much of the story has been edited and re-invented to make all three parts fit. The original Macross TV series is a much more mature and slightly darker story than the Macross Saga of Robotech. And, Macross has better sequels than Robotech, that take the story in a much different direction. While we do have some fans here who still claim to like both, many of us actually drop RT entirely for Macross. If you ever get the chance, check out the original Macross and see what you think.

For more info on the differences between Macross and Robotech, check out Leb's Site or the pinned topic in the beginning of this forum. For more info on Macross in general, check out the Macross Compendium.

It's not Voltron. It's Golion and Dairugger XV, you pathetic ignoramuses.

:p:lol::D B)

Edit: And although most of us prefer Macross as Macross, not Robotech, some (many?) of us do like Superdimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada--possibly moreso than some of the Macross sequels.

Edited by ewilen

It's not Voltron. It's Golion and Dairugger XV, you pathetic ignoramuses.

:p:lol::D B)

Edit: And although most of us prefer Macross as Macross, not Robotech, some (many?) of us do like Superdimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada--possibly moreso than some of the Macross sequels.

Mospeada = sweet

... some (many?) of us do like Superdimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada--possibly moreso than some of the Macross sequels.

Well... I'd take Elton John, Barney, and the Teletubies over Macross 7. So yeah.

... some (many?) of us do like Superdimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada--possibly moreso than some of the Macross sequels.

Well... I'd take Elton John, Barney, and the Teletubies over Macross 7. So yeah.

now thats what i call loathing something.... :lol:

I hope Keith didn't see that!

:o:D:lol::D

~G25

Now Im debating wiether or not I want to see it

It will burn your soul...

Hey Deadzone,

Don't mind Whiskey, he just gets a little surly whenever anyone mentions Robotech. (Kinda like the horse in Young Frankenstein whenever anyone said "Frau Bluecher" :D ) The majority of the people here are actually very nice.

I, like yourself, never used to like reading subs. But I've found that since I watched Robotech as a kid and then saw the uneditted Macross with subs later on, after a few times, you can just turn off the subs and know the basics of what they're saying anyways. Nowadays, subs don't bother me anymore, since I rarely have to read it more than once, and my Macross DVDs are something I like to watch quite a few times.

If you dig Robotech Macross Saga, you should definitely give the original SDF Macross a watch. It's a little more mature than Robotech and once you get past the subs, you'll probably end up liking it more than Robotech (I've never met anyone who didn't).

Many of us discovered Macross because of Robotech. To this day, I still feel nostalgic whenever I see a Robotech episode. It catches a lot of the flack from people here who are frustrated with HG. I give it credit for introducing me to some great anime, but it wasn't until I saw the animes that made it up, that I realized there as a lot of amazing stuff I was missing by having only been exposed to Robotech as a kid. Watch "Do You Remember Love" too (there's a thread around here somewhere discussing the several dubbed versions of that if your still hesitant about subs). That was the first "real" Macross thing I ever watched and to this day, its still one of my favorites.

Other Macross stuff that's dubbed are the Manga releases of Macross II: Lovers Again which has really cool mecha, but not the best story and is not a part of the official Macross timeline and the Macross Plus OVA Vol. 1 & 2 (The movie version is subbed) which offers some of the most breathtaking animation ever, especially the dogfights.

BTW. did you wait to join just so you could be member 666 or were you just lucky? :lol:

now this really makes me think

(taken from for sale section)

For Sale:

Macross 7, the entire DVD series. Every episode, all the bonus stuff, and the movie. All on eight DVDs spread over two box sets.

I bought this brand new several weeks ago, watched it, decided I didn't like it and am now trying to recoup some of my money.

damn

Nah...more like you will want the 20+ hours of your life back if you watch everything Macross 7. I know I do.....

(SDF Macross) is a little more mature than Robotech and once you get past the subs, you'll probably end up liking it more than Robotech (I've never met anyone who didn't).

I can think of at least two people on this board for whom that statement is untrue. Cyclone, who is an unrepentent Mospeada nut....and myself. I prefer Southern Cross. However, I love Robotech because it really is the only way that I will ever get to see more of my beloved series...though with the way that Tommy Yune is doing things...that might not be certain.