Favorite Macross Book?

xsjado

i would like to get a macross book, but i'm really clueless on which one. i would like a coffee table book... something with lots of pictures that's fun to look through when i'm killing time, waiting for my gf to get ready, etc. i cannot read japanese, so interviews and dialogs are unimportant.

thanks

i would like to get a macross book, but i'm really clueless on which one. i would like a coffee table book... something with lots of pictures that's fun to look through when i'm killing time, waiting for my gf to get ready, etc. i cannot read japanese, so interviews and dialogs are unimportant.

thanks

The Gold Book is a required book for any DYRL fan. It is quite comprehensive with lots of pretty pictures.

However $200.00 is reasonable for a "complete" book, including band, poster and film strip. Otherwise look for a better price.

However $200.00 is reasonable for a "complete" book, including band, poster and film strip. Otherwise look for a better price.

I got mine (without poster and film strip) for $60 plus shipping from ebay. The book is the DYRL? bible I highly recomend it!

THAT sir is an incredibly rare cost and a major score! :p

It was from a Hong Kong seller.

I bid only once and forgot about it, then two weeks after that I won the item. Shipping was only U$S18 or U$S24 (if I remember rcorrectly) to Oahu, HI!!!

You got really lucky with that!

But as for paying alot more, you better get the cell & poster.

Regarding the poster, it's quite nice but it's folded. I recall a long time ago some of us were talking about the possibility of the poster being found / sold in a roll. Regardless, it looks great with the cutaway VF-1S Super Valkyrie and various ordnance.

It was from a Hong Kong seller.

I bid only once and forgot about it, then two weeks after that I won the item. Shipping was only U$S18 or U$S24 (if I remember rcorrectly) to Oahu, HI!!!

The best I got it for was $120.00 total cost from Japan. I had a crack at another one for the same price I initially paid, but hesistated and lost it in a "buy it now" situation... <_<

I'd recommend the following books as an essential part of anyone's Macross book collection: -

• Macross Perfect Memory.
  • DYRL Gold Book.
  • Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works.
  • Tenjin Valkyries book.
  • TIAS Macross Plus.
  • TIAS Macross 7 Animation Materials.
  • TIAS Macross 2.

Of course there are many, many more Macross books, but they above is a good core start to a collection.

Graham

I'd recommend the following books as an essential part of anyone's Macross book collection: -

• DYRL Gold Book.
  • Tenjin Valkyries book.
  • TIAS Macross Plus.
  • TIAS Macross 2.
Of course there are many, many more Macross books, but they above is a good core start to a collection.

Graham

Of those books, the only ones I don't have are Tenjin Valks and TIAS Mac 7.

The ones I do have are great stuff and covers most of the core stuff of Macross. The TIAS Mac+ book has a great cover to boot. The TIAS Mac 2 book I mostly like for Haruhiko Mikimoto's art progression... and hey, a few original characters are in there for kicks.

But if I was to only have 2 Macross books, they'd have to be Perfect Memory and DYRL Gold Book.

• DYRL Gold Book.
  • Tenjin Valkyries book.
  • TIAS Macross Plus.
  • TIAS Macross 2.

Graham

I concur, that is a good list for any core collection.

Miyatake's design works is another one I'd add for mechawhores like me.... :p

Then the TIA Select Macross Plus Movie Book because it has stuff that isn't in the other Mac Plus book.

All the books listed will run you a minimum of $30 to start, except the Mac 2 book which tends to average about the $20.00 starting range.

The Gold book because it is a hardcover book tends to start much higher.

If you are buying the Gold Book, just make sure you know which issue you are paying for. As I understand, the 1st press (the rarer and more expensive) has a film strip and a poster (I could be wrong about the poster, correct me if it is included on other issues).

Also the price of the 1st press Gold Book varies depends on which film strip you get (e.g Minmay's shower scene is more expensive than Global'spotting scene..)

Also, Watch out for the fake Macross Memory Book

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the finish for the dustcover is not as good on the reprinted fakes. Still considering you get everything inside including the poster for $30 or less that is NOT a bad deal. Who cares about the "real" one; it is overrated IMO.

If you are only interested in the content, then that is true.

However, collectors will want the "authentic" Japanese printing, be it first or second printing.

I got a brand new copy of the second printing back in the 80's and well it's been loved a long time... :p

What I want to warn people about is that they should be careful not to pay $200 for a fake one. :)

I agreed, the quality of the fake one is pretty good.

I still couldn't find that thread, will try harder.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the finish for the dustcover is not as good on the reprinted fakes. Still considering you get everything inside including the poster for $30 or less that is NOT a bad deal. Who cares about the "real" one; it is overrated IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I payed 100$ for my gold book at a hobby shop in Texas and I was darned glad to find it. This was back in the day before you could find any and everything on the internet and it was only the 3rd one I had ever seen at the time and the first one I had any chance of affording. It was worth every penny and has brought me countless hours of enjoyment since. A friend of mine had one of the two that I had seen prior to getting mine and his did not have the poster or film stripe so I was very pleasantly surprised to find them inside. A nice extra to an awesome book.

I agree. Perfect Memory is, well, perfect!

After that comes:

Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works

TIAS: Macross Plus

Macross 7 Animation Materials

Macross VF-X2 Official Visual Guide

Honorable Mentions are:

Kazutaka Miyatake Design Works: Macross & Orguss

TIA: DYRL

Tenjin Hidetaka Valkyries

Macross Plus: Game Edition

• 3 weeks later...

I had a problem when I bought "Der Mond" by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto a few years ago, and received it only to see that all the text was in Chinese (which I can't read) instead of Japanese (which I can). It was a major bummer even though the art work was terrific, but (for future reference), does anyone know how many of these books have been officially released in China?

I ask because I care...and, from experience, I know that a lot of the sellers on eBay who do their best to turn profits off of dumb fanboys, themselves do not know how to identify the difference between written Chinese and written Japanese. :angry: If you're ever in the market for these books (and, if someone here confirms that there have been Chinese-language releases), make sure to get the seller to send you a picture of one of the text pages for your own identification. If, on the other hand, it's still sealed, try the back cover--that's often a good give-away point, too. :p

Sorry. Maybe I shared a bit too much, there.

Recently on ebay U.K I have seen two gold books go for under the £100 mark one went for about £50 with poster and flimstrip I missed it by £0.50.

Ocassionally they do crop up for a good price, maybe this is when all other collectors are alseep or something.

Edited by big F

lol, 50 with filmstrip? that filmstrip must have sucked.

And i bet the book was in bad form. That's just a crazy end price. @_@

I have seen auctions go downhill when the owner shows off the filmstrip pics.

Filmstrips are not always worth it, i seen some sucky ones.

First Goldy i bought was without the filmstrip but with the Poster.

2nd Goldy i got my filmstrip and poster as well! :D

I'll eventually sell my filmstripless Goldy when they are practically non existant... and make a sh!tload.

I love this book, it is the holy grail of Macross Art.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

lol, 50 with filmstrip? that filmstrip must have sucked.

Funny I don't care what the filmstrip is.

As a collector, having the strip, poster and band means I have a "complete" copy of the book, which adds to it's value in my eyes. I got my copy from Japan for about $130.00 US (after the freight was tallied) and it is complete in every sense, so I am a happy collector. :D

So for those looking for one, if they are asking $200.00 for it and it is missing any of the three "extras" it aint worth close to that much IMO.

Edited by Zinjo

That was what really sucked the book was in really good condition, cant remember what the film strip was but I wouldnt have cared as it would have been another to strike off the list of needs.

I think every Macross fan would like a filmstrip, they are pretty neato.

But the book by "itself" is just magic. IMO if the book is in almost mint condition it should go for 100 - 150.

with the filmstrips add another 50 easy, and for the poster.. well another 30 or 50.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie