Battlestar Galactica Discussion

P.S. The baby scene in the mini(you know what I'm talking about) really set the tone of this show for me, and I knew this wasn't my Daddy's scifi anymore.

Lol. I was like, is that what I "think" it is?!

why? bsg would be a good fit, imo. kevin smith is good at doing character driven dialogue heavy stuff.

According to Mrs. Ron there was a scheduling conflict so they tried...and failed. Better luck next time.

I'm sorry but Kevin Smith would NOT be good for this type of show. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying I don't think he's right for it.

Kevin Smith cannot direct heavy stuff.

Character driven....in a fanboy way works. Take him out of that eliment and it falls apart. AKA Jersey Girl.

I don't hate him. Mallrats very cool. Dogma VERY COOL!

But other than that....you can take it or leave it.

And his best stuff ends up on the cutting room floor.

I voted for the 'B' cover, although I thought they were all pretty meh, especially C.

Can't wait to see Razor.

Anybody know when the season 3 DVD box set is going to be released?

Graham

No new info on the S3 release yet, but my guess not till late fall maybe October or november. I think that is when the S3 soundtrack comes out. They really do take their time with getting these DVD's out especially with this extra long hiatus.

Chris

ps. on a geek note: the Pegasus crest that they are using for the dvd covers has the wrong BSG number. It's using Galacticas Number 75, not Pegasus's which is 64 I believe.

I'm sorry but Kevin Smith would NOT be good for this type of show. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying I don't think he's right for it.

Kevin Smith cannot direct heavy stuff.

Character driven....in a fanboy way works. Take him out of that eliment and it falls apart. AKA Jersey Girl.

I don't hate him. Mallrats very cool. Dogma VERY COOL!

But other than that....you can take it or leave it.

And his best stuff ends up on the cutting room floor.

meh, chasing amy had plenty of heated moments. he can do it, he just doesn't like going out of his comfort zone, my personal thinking for the real reason he pulled out.

When are we going to get a 6" or deluxe sized updated robot cylon figure anyway? I have no interest in the upcoming oversized one. :p

Yeah

A 1/6 Six or 1/6 Centurian would go well in my 1/6 figure collection.

NEWS: From AICN

Not sure if anyone has checked in from Atlanta yet, but I attended the Battlestar Galactica Q&A session this morning at DragonCon. Jamie Bamber (Apollo), Aaron Douglas (Chief Tyrol) and Richard Hatch (original Apollo, Tom Zarek) asnwered questions for an hour. They were very funny and we did learn a few things...

The writers sequestered themselves in Utah to finish the series and even the three actors do not know how it ends.

Douglas was originally upset to learn his character was a cylon, but a 90-minute phone conversation with Ron Moore changed his mind.

Kara Thrace is definitely alive and back on the show.

Lee will be doing more "civilian" things, confirmed by Bamber's longer hair and beard.

Chief opens the season dealing (badly) with the news that he is a cylon. Douglas said that his hair (which is quite short) actually is growing back from early shooting of episodes for next season.

And some bad news: There are 20 episodes in the final season and the plan now from Sci-Fi is to show 10 of them in Feb. of 2008 and then wait until Feb. of 2009 to show the final 10! Needless to say, the large crowd at the panel was not pleased considering the 18-month gap we are already enduring.

[Actually, the last episode of season three arrived on SciFi March 25 of this year.]

The actors actually ripped sci-fi, with Bamber saying that the channel is not used to producing high quality material and now that it has a hit, it doesn't know what to do with it.

Douglas also mentioned that once BSG is done, he plans to move on and not do many appearances, so DragonCon could be one of his final con visits.

I know some of the message boards are saying that the actors were joking about the final season being split between 08 and 09, but here is why some people might think that...

Douglas, Bamber and Hatch were talking about the current gap in the show and one of them said that the plan was to split the final season between 2008 and 2009, a lot of people laughed and thought it was a joke and that they were ripping sci-fi. But then Bamber said "no, really. That's the plan right now." and then the audience groaned. So he may have been adding to the "joke" but that was not the impression I got. He even went on to say that that is how Sci-Fi essentially gets two final seasons for the cost of one.

It sounds like something sci-fi would do. I really hate the channel and the decisions they make. They basically treat their audience like crap. Unfortunately, no one else has the balls to show science fiction shows that don't involve 5 teenagers in lycra bodysuits fighting giant monsters, so they know they have us by the balls.

Talk about milkin' it! Obviously they pick shows like Dr. Who and Flash Gordon over possible spin-off's like Caprica? And THEY know Galactica has such a following. If they keep this crap up I doubt I'll be watching the Sci-Fi Channel at all after Galactica ends.

Well, for those of you want to know why Kevin Smith isn't directing an episode this season...

http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=346

Yes it was a scheduling conflict..so to speak. The body is going one way while the mind is going the other. And if someone gives you and oppurtunity...try not to think about it too much.

Man, ANOTHER long hiatus. it just keeps getting longer and longer. I've noticed more and more networks are doing this too. I can't keep track of shows that I like or liked because I can never tell when they are on. short of watching the channel guide every night every week to make sure a show wasn't moved. Bones is a good example. I liked that show, it went on a hiatus for I believe the World series or something to do with baseball.....I generally don't watch Fox much so I never saw it again. Low and behold it was moved to Friday nights so I have no idea when it came back on or how many episodes I missed. So I just gave up on it and stopped watching. Family Guy and American Dad too, every few months there is a new episode then nothing or just repeats the rest of the time. So we either get rediculously long waits or constantly changing schedules with hard to figure season breaks.

Chris

Man, ANOTHER long hiatus. it just keeps getting longer and longer. I've noticed more and more networks are doing this too. I can't keep track of shows that I like or liked because I can never tell when they are on. short of watching the channel guide every night every week to make sure a show wasn't moved. Bones is a good example. I liked that show, it went on a hiatus for I believe the World series or something to do with baseball.....I generally don't watch Fox much so I never saw it again. Low and behold it was moved to Friday nights so I have no idea when it came back on or how many episodes I missed. So I just gave up on it and stopped watching. Family Guy and American Dad too, every few months there is a new episode then nothing or just repeats the rest of the time. So we either get rediculously long waits or constantly changing schedules with hard to figure season breaks.

Chris

well, com'on, it's FOX... no one knows how to kill a show like FOX. And no one knows how to take a giant heaping dump all over their audience like sci-fi.

Heh, I remember I used to spend Sunday evenings watching Rome and then Battlestar and while I miss Rome, it was definitel a love/hate thing with Battlestar. Still wish they had done a continuation rather than a remake. Hopefully they put some aliens in the last episode to piss off Olmos. :D

• 3 weeks later...

News time:

An excerpt from James Hibberd’s TV Week story about an Emmy-night SciFi Channel party:

Most recently presumed a dead project, Sci Fi executives seem to have renewed enthusiasm for [the “Battlestar Galactica” prequel “Caprica”], especially with the looming prospect of losing [“Galactica” mastermind Ron] Moore following the conclusion of “Battlestar.”

Additionally, the story confirms that SciFi is contemplating holding back “Galactica’s” final ten episodes until 2009 – a move that would apparently please NBC Universal’s accountants, even as it infuriates the show’s rabid fan base. TV Week’s source says SciFi will decide in January.

Under this plan, two hours of the series’ final 20 hours would arrive in November as the “Razor” TV-movie, eight would begin unspooling in January 2008 and the final ten would reach their audience in 2009.

Another excerpt:

Moore’s storyline also could make fans demand rapid closure, one person close to the project says, since “when people see the ending of the 10th episode, they’re gonna freak out.”

Maybe if sci-fi bothered to keep shows like sg-1 on the air, they would have somthing in place when galactica goes off the air. Oh well, I'm sure they'll just schedule more giant cgi insect movies around their wrestling show to compensate.

LOL!!

I'd really like to se a mini series or something about the Orginal Cylon War. Maybe start off "briefly" about how the cylons were made and slowly evolved and then ultimately the opening rebelion. Then it's all out war for the rest of the miniseries. The war is the one thig that niether series really ever explored.

Chris

The war is the one thig that niether series really ever explored.

Speaking of the war, didn't they indicate at some point that Adama himself may have helped to start the conflict? I can't remember much in my old age...

Speaking of the war, didn't they indicate at some point that Adama himself may have helped to start the conflict? I can't remember much in my old age...

Yup, you're right there myk, i think its episode 8 of season 3, where they 'find' a cylon raider with one of Adama's viper pilots from before the war. Adama was the commander of the Battlestar "valkyrie" (kinda apt for this forum) and sent his man in a stealth viper , behind enemy lines to spy on the cylons. He gets spotted, picked up and days later the war starts. So Adama was/is maybe kinda responsible for the war starting.

Well eugimon and Zinjo, I took both your advice recently and I'm almost through the first season of Battlestar Galatica (RDM, 2004). Though it didn't take much convincing since watching the mini-series last year. The show is very good and carries on the legacy of the mini-series quite well. Being a Firefly fan, I absolutely adore the special effects in this series. Zoic has produced a very similar style of fictional cinematography that made the Firefly series unique and fresh. Lots of zooms, fast pans/tilts, unique angles, full three dimension representation and style to burn.

The characters in BSG (2004) are first rate with plenty of really intense drama and some great character conflict. The characters played by Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell are nothing short of brilliant casting and I'm really impressed with their underplayed performances in this series. I'm also intrigued by the Cylons and Gaius Baltar. Baltar in particular is a real surprise for me. I'm a fella that absolutely hates the original BSG and the terribly cliched character of Baltar in that show. But like all things in this fascinating re-imagining, it's far better than I could have hoped. The Gaius Baltar character is so totally messed up, unexpectedly hilarious and utterly interesting to watch! I can be so disgusted by this pathetic character and yet so invested in what happens to him in each ridiculous situation in which he finds himself. The episode where Number Six appears as Shelly Godfrey was a really entertaining mind frag :)

Well, only episodes 12 and 13 to go and I'm done with Season One and it's on to Season Two. Of all the shows I've followed off broadcast in the last few years ("24", "Lost", et cetera), the BSG 2004 series has by far been the most surprising show of them all. And for once, it appears this series will reward me with a proper ending and realize it's incredible potential.

Edited by Mr March

Well eugimon and Zinjo, I took both your advice recently and I'm almost through the first season of Battlestar Galatica (RDM, 2004). Though it didn't take much convincing since watching the mini-series last year. The show is very good and carries on the legacy of the mini-series quite well. Being a Firefly fan, I absolutely adore the special effects in this series. Zoic has produced a very similar style of fictional cinematography that made the Firefly series unique and fresh. Lots of zooms, fast pans/tilts, unique angles, full three dimension representation and style to burn.

The characters in BSG (2004) are first rate with plenty of really intense drama and some great character conflict. The characters played by Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell are nothing short of brilliant casting and I'm really impressed with their underplayed performances in this series. I'm also intrigued by the Cylons and Gaius Baltar. Baltar in particular is a real surprise for me. I'm a fella that absolutely hates the original BSG and the terribly cliched character of Baltar in that show. But like all things in this fascinating re-imagining, it's far better than I could have hoped. The Gaius Baltar character is so totally messed up, unexpectedly hilarious and utterly interesting to watch! I can be so disgusted by this pathetic character and yet so invested in what happens to him in each ridiculous situation in which he finds himself. The episode where Number Six appears as Shelly Godfrey was a really entertaining mind frag :)

Well, only episodes 12 and 13 to go and I'm done with Season One and it's on to Season Two. Of all the shows I've followed off broadcast in the last few years ("24", "Lost", et cetera), the BSG 2004 series has by far been the most surprising show of them all. And for once, it appears this series will reward me with a proper ending and realize it's incredible potential.

Well Mr March, I could'nt agree with you more.. I was awaiting the miniseries and the proper series for about year before release, and it didnt dissapoint! BSG is the most refreshing thing to happen to sci-fi in years (sorry firefly fans.. this beats it hands down, although Firefly was cancelled well before its time was up). Season 2 has some amazing moments too, but when you get to S3, it starts great but slows down in the middle but what an ending ( i wont spoil it for you). As far as character development goes, i think BSG wins because it can be a hard thing to watch sometimes as the charcters you love do things you dont expect (or want) them to do.. it can make you cringe, but it always keeps you coming back. ROLL ON RAZOR AND SEASON 4 !!! :lol:

(watch out for EP4 of season 3... its amaaaaaaaaazingly good.)

As some of you already know I'm a sucka for a good wallpaper.. so here's some nice Galactica stuff for ya (thanks ZOIC for the nice images).

post-5945-1190296965_thumb.jpg post-5945-1190296988_thumb.jpg

[attachmnt=45636:BSG_Apr28_004.jpg] post-5945-1190297048_thumb.jpg

post-5945-1190297069_thumb.jpg

post-5945-1190297099_thumb.jpg

I have the Viper and Raptor hi-res images too.. yell if you want them.

well DUH me for not arranging them properly!

post-5945-1190297033_thumb.jpg

post-5945-1190297083_thumb.jpg

Edited by vermillion01

glad to hear you're finally on board! It's pretty cool when small scenes or even throw away dialogue from one season comes back and pays dividends later on.

And yeah, one of the things I love about this show is that characters can be absolutely compelling and interesting while simultaneously being horrible people, the show doesn't insult the audience it just expects us to keep up. I love it.