Cameron selects an Avatar

I hope you know you're calling something illogical and impossible, while posting on a website about an anime featuring transforming fighter planes, 40 foot aliens that happen to be the same as us, and magic songs that can end wars. Lighten up a little.

I hope you know you're calling something illogical and impossible, while posting on a website about an anime featuring transforming fighter planes, 40 foot aliens that happen to be the same as us, and magic songs that can end wars. Lighten up a little.

haha that was funny. Im not uptight about the movie just adding to the discussion.

>immature nutcase barely able to form a coherent sentence; barely.

Oh my god, I figured it out! You're Pizza the Hut's "secret Macross world spy account!" WHOOT! I can finally sleep well at night having solved this great mystery. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I find it strange and somewhat worrying that the posters for this movie at the cinemas here, all have printed on them at the top in large print "From The Director of Titanic".

Given that Titanic is a chick flick and is despised by 99.99% of all red blooded males, surely, this is a form-of anti-advertising and would only help to drive away the intended mostly male audience.

I'm presuming here that the movie is a scifi actioneer and is targeted at males in the 16-35 (or thereabouts) age bracket. Or perhaps I'm wrong and it's going to be a mushy love story?

Anyway, surely to attract genre fans , it would have been better to promote the movie as being 'From the the director of Aliens'?

Graham

.... I like

as well. Never met anyone who hated it with a passion. :p

I think the only thing really impressive about Avatar's CG is the scenery, particularly the floating islands and the sunlit jungles. The animation physics gets my nod as well.

Edited by shiroikaze

I find it strange and somewhat worrying that the posters for this movie at the cinemas here, all have printed on them at the top in large print "From The Director of Titanic".

Given that Titanic is a chick flick and is despised by 99.99% of all red blooded males, surely, this is a form-of anti-advertising and would only help to drive away the intended mostly male audience.

I'm presuming here that the movie is a scifi actioneer and is targeted at males in the 16-35 (or thereabouts) age bracket. Or perhaps I'm wrong and it's going to be a mushy love story?

Anyway, surely to attract genre fans , it would have been better to promote the movie as being 'From the the director of Aliens'?

Graham

It's my understanding that the movie is a little bit of both...I think.

Titanic is the Most Profitable movie ever made (as far as seen by today's Hollywood suits) you can argue that it's Gone with the Wind or Star Wars but by todays' standards and recent trends all the execs are trying to repeat Titanic's numbers. No one is gonna sink (excuse the pun) $500,000,000 into one single movie and put Aliens or Terminator on the poster. As far as they are concerned everyone knows Cameron from seeing Titanic because everyone in the world has seen Titanic.

I don't think that it will be up my alley. I will go see it because Cameron has brought me some of my favorite movies. I just really get turned off when low-tech civilizations riding beasts & using bows and arrows beats tanks and lasers...

Did you learn nothing from the ewoks in Return of the Jedi?

I'm not really interested in this, but hopefully Cameron finishes his Battle Angel Alita movie next. I just hope he hasn't lost his skill in movie making from a 12 year hiatus.

Titanic is the Most Profitable movie ever made (as far as seen by today's Hollywood suits) you can argue that it's Gone with the Wind or Star Wars but by todays' standards and recent trends all the execs are trying to repeat Titanic's numbers. No one is gonna sink (excuse the pun) $500,000,000 into one single movie and put Aliens or Terminator on the poster. As far as they are concerned everyone knows Cameron from seeing Titanic because everyone in the world has seen Titanic.

funny thing is all the TV ads that run here say "from the director of terminator and aliens and Terminator 2"

I don't think that it will be up my alley. I will go see it because Cameron has brought me some of my favorite movies. I just really get turned off when low-tech civilizations riding beasts & using bows and arrows beats tanks and lasers...

Um . . . Afghanistan and Vietnam? Small, thinly armed yet determined groups often do well against seemingly superior forces. And those are just 2 very recent examples. History is full.

It's called heart and will . . .

Um . . . Afghanistan and Vietnam? Small, thinly armed yet determined groups often do well against seemingly superior forces. And those are just 2 very recent examples. History is full.

There's quite the difference between a spear and an AK-47. The guerrillas may have been poorly armed in comparison to their enemies, but they weren't reduced to the level of using Ewok-esque sticks and stones. Hell, even the afghan rebels got new and shiny Stinger missiles to use against the Soviets. Technology may not be the only factor, but you can't completely discount it. Look at the various indigenous populations that have been conquered over the years by a high-tech force; I'm sure they had a lot of heart and will too. Of course disease played a factor too, but my point still stands.

Nonetheless, I've still got hope this movie may be decent.

I understand it takes more than sticks and stones to defeat a force with missiles and lasers.

But I would not be surprised by a current or future Government going someplace to take what they want and saying to themselves:

"Oh, just give them this, this and this and they will be satisfied" - then discovering that they have a real fight on their hands, suffering several major defeats before finally getting serious and committing the resources needed to beat out the small resistance force.

This movie could be the 'Part I' I've outlined here and it would be quite believable. But to your point somewhere in Part II or III superior weapons and technology should eventually win out . . .

(but many times in history the superior force has lolly-gagged and just played their cards 'amazingly stupidly' - allowing the lesser force to continue far past a logical end . . .)

Titanic would have been better, if at the end there was this alien invasion, and Earth's top scientists secretly modified the wreck of the Titanic and have it fly into space and put some huge guns on it. Space Battle Ship Titanic raunch! .... It is powered by the old lady's magic amulet.

That's a rather romanticized view imo, but my main gripe is the inevitable "ewok" style ending.

Edited by Max Jenius

Titanic would have been better, if at the end there was this alien invasion, and Earth's top scientists secretly modified the wreck of the Titanic and have it fly into space and put some huge guns on it. Space Battle Ship Titanic raunch! .... It is powered by the old lady's magic amulet.

Sounded dumb... but I'd watch it! As long as there's still CG tuxedo people falling and hitting rails before their deaths. I mean, we have to respect the source right?

Sounded dumb... but I'd watch it! As long as there's still CG tuxedo people falling and hitting rails before their deaths. I mean, we have to respect the source right?

As long as there's a high tension wire that snaps and cuts them all in half at some point.

As long as there's a high tension wire that snaps and cuts them all in half at some point.

God that movie was awful. I like it how the mythbusters showed that sort of thing was *crap*

Taksraven

God that movie was awful. I like it how the mythbusters showed that sort of thing was *crap*

Taksraven

I hope where all thinking about the same thing...

Awesome happy fun times ^_^

I really hope this movie is not about primatives with spears and stones winning against powered armor, plasma guns and drop ships.

Will be most disappointed if it is.

Graham

Maybe the primitives' weapons will be totally ineffective & the high tech army will feel sorry for them because they keep fighting with heart and will despite being splattered all over the forest with ease.

Maybe the natives will use the mystical power of songs to make peace with the high tech army, thats never been done before.

It possible there seems to be at least one love song on the posted soundtrack listings for Avatar, which practically spoil the movie with their song titles.

1) You Don't Dream in Cryo...

2) Jake Enters His Avatar World

3) Pure Spirits of the Forest

4) The Bioluminescence of the Night

5) Becoming One of the People

6) Climbing Up - Iknimaya - The Path to Heaven

7) Jake's First Flight

8) Scorched Earth

9) Quaritch

10) The Destruction of Hometree

11) Shutting Down Grace's Lab

12) Gathering All the Na'vi Clans for Battle

13) War

14) I See You (Theme from Avatar)

"Shutting Down Grace's Lab," hmm, now where we seen a mad villanous scientist named Grace before?

Edited by Freiflug88

It possible there seems to be at least one love song on the posted soundtrack listings for Avatar, which practically spoil the movie with their song titles.

"Shutting Down Grace's Lab," hmm, now where we seen a mad villanous scientist named Grace before?

I don't think she's a villain this time though

also the mystical power of song only works if you can back it up with giant robots and an assload of missiles (and yes, assload is the technical term for it)

Good point,

Although, I'd also be satisfied if J.C. includes native songs that awaken an "even more"-primordial, super[..dimension..] entity behind the life force of Pandora.

Say, mebbe: a biomass of 'Titanic' proportions, that absorbs energy weapons & missile impacts, only to respond with torrents of power that wither & peel dropships like overripe bananas and incinerate Earth mecha mercilessly... :lol: :lol: B))

Yeah...phukk Urth, in our resource depleted future. We deserve it many times over, let alone child-raping other worlds=Happy Ending!

I really hope this movie is not about primatives with spears and stones winning against powered armor, plasma guns and drop ships.

Will be most disappointed if it is.

Graham

Just like to point out that in Aliens, the marines had tons of high tech weapons, and were annihilated by a force of aliens who had nothing but sharp claws, sharp pointy teeth, and acid blood. The aliens only lost because the marines damaged the terraformer reactor.

I finally saw the trailer ahead of 2012, and I'm thinking Aliens part 2.

Just like to point out that in Aliens, the marines had tons of high tech weapons, and were annihilated by a force of aliens who had nothing but sharp claws, sharp pointy teeth, and acid blood. The aliens only lost because the marines damaged the terraformer reactor.

I finally saw the trailer ahead of 2012, and I'm thinking Aliens part 2.

they were also greatly outnumbered.