This is kinda macrossy, and kewl?

Mechwarrior

I thought this was pretty kewl. Anyone over in that area going to check it out? if so get some pics. I am gonna take a trip over to Japan next year, and wanna get more info on this awesome engineering marvel. Well, it is kewl to me anyhow :rolleyes:http://www.alltraveltips.com/oceandome.html

post-366-1167452896_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mechwarrior

First thing it made me think of was the Gunbuster Video game, second thing it made me think of was Harry Potter.

And why can't he use Kewl? it's like totally wicked Kewl as they used to say in the early 90s. ^___^.

Because kewl is too X-treme for the board.

Heheheh, we must have the same cable

saw that one too, was built about 800m from the ocean

Crazy Japanese :D

Not so crazy when you take into consideration things like winter cold, summer heat (climate controlled beach, anyone?), and the Japanese penchante to NOT want to worship the sun, and get skin cancer as a byproduct of getting a tan.

There's also pollution in the ocean. Japan is a relatively clean country (especially over the past 30 to 40 years.) However, they have some nasty habits - like throwing garbage away in some of the most mind boggling places (I've seen some guy tossing rubbish into a river before. @.@ ) Not to mention potentially annoying (jellyfish) to potentially fatal (shark) sea animals...

It makes quite a bit of sense to me. Of course it's down there with the indoor skihill on my list of places to visit in Japan.

Definietely reminds me of the Riviera from Macross 7 (featured in episode # 7).

I love episode 7. It's one of my favorite M7 episodes. Mylene in a bikini and Gamlin kicking Varauta ass in a borrowed VF-11C, what's not to like.

And yes, indoor beaches like this make perfect sense. You can use them 365 days a year and you don't have to deal with polluted sea water. A major problem here in HK.

And as others have mentioned, no Sharks or Jelly fish.

Graham

How was the sky/dome done? Anyone have any info about that? Is it made from that "invisible" optic cloth that projects in front of a person what's behind? Just curious.

I don't think it was 'done' in any sense of the word other than pasting together images of the retractable roof over the beach opening. Follow the link on the first post (and mind the pop-ups) and you'll see what the ceiling really looks like.

Can anyone else picture Sketchley taking a tour at the future's Tree Museum? Makes perfect sense, in a tree museum there won't ever be rain and they could keep the birds out so we can avoid being pooped on.

Trees? What's that?

Seriously, I came from a temperate rainforest. Let me recommend Cathedral Grove to you: http://images.google.ca/images?hl=ja&q...sa=N&tab=wi

I've actually had too much of trees, and too much of rain. Cut 'em down, I say. Flatten the mountains, too, and make it level for that tree museum.

Seriously, I'm more interested in going back to see Sanjusangendou, Kiyomizudera, Todaiji, Kinkakuji, and Himejijou. Much more interesting, and historically significant, then disposable chopsticks...erm, trees, and indoor swimming pools, if you ask me. :D

Is it made from that "invisible" optic cloth that projects in front of a person what's behind? Just curious.

You've been greatly mislead.

The "invisible cloth" was basically a projector screen. There were cameras behind the people feeding projectors in front of the people.

We're still a long way away from real cloaking devices.

:blink:

....what're you doing with a side-naked pic of Mylene?

That's Japan for you - in a series with many mature big-breasted women, it's the prepubesent 14-year old that gets all the attention... <_<

I wonder if they're going to have alot of manequines of fat women in small swimsuits, or would that be an attempted simulation of our beaches?

Is this located somewhere in Tokyo?

In Miyazaki.

In Germany we have something simulare. It was planned by the same guys(some japanese) few years ago. The same kind of construction only added some tropical rainforest and indoor basejumping. It's called Tropical Islands

Strange I thought every nation would have it's artificial holiday resorts nowadays.Just like Carcity, indoor-skiing, -surfing, -paragliding, -free climbing.

Edited by TSP