Yammies burglarized.. 1/48s stolen...

cyde01

I know some of you here buy squadrons and squadrons of Yamato valks but I personally only buy ones that count for me (I'm on a budget as far as toys are concerned). My Yammie collection consisted of a 1st ed 1/72 YF-19, a 1/60 Max VF-1A, and a super 1/48 Max 1J and a 3rd issue 1/48 Roy 1S. I was eagerly anticipating the release of the 1/60 YF-19 and a reissue of the 1/60 VF-0S.

This morning, I walk over to my car ready for my commute only to discover it broken into and burglarized. Besides my mp3/CD playing head unit, mp3 playing boom box, and tempur-pedic back cushion, my 2 prized possesion 1/48s which I left in the trunk were stolen. I had the LA County Sheriff write a full report and finger print the car but I am not expecting to ever see them again. The Max 1J especially hurts because it has never been reissued and I feel like I am never gonna replace that one. T-T woe is me.

Edited by cyde01

wow, another story about 1/48's being stolen. I forgot who it was, they said someone broke into the house and took the 1/48's. I can't imagine who would do such a thing unless they are toy collectors who are poor and need a macross fix so they need to go out and steal other people's 1/48's. Sorry for you loss. :(

For those of you not in socal its been kinda cold recently, so i can imagine leaving the valks in the trunk as oppsed to the interior. Actually I would sleep with them next to me..or if i had to, sleep in the car with them.. " nah I'll be ok out here thanks, yes I'm sure, goodnight."

AHHh unless the thief knows what these are worth (aka Ebay) sum lucky thief's kid is gonna get a new toy airplane..ahh even worse sold for drugs for like $50...i hate thieves.....and tweakers/junkies..

i was gonna ask the same question, and also its hot in s. cali, i would think the last place to put valks in is a trunk cus it would caus the boxes to warp

I think the main question isn't really about leaving the Yammies in the Trunk or in the backseat. But Why would anyone leave not one but 2 Yammie in a car over night in the first place? I'm pretty sure that's the question the others were asking. If the 1/48 is that improtant to your then you shouldn't leave it in your car over night in the first place.

I feel your pain and wish the thief some bullets for christmas for ya. My car got broken into a couple of times, so I don't put anything important in my car over night. I really feel like rigging my car up so it goes boom when someone trys to open my trunk without my permission.

why did you leave your 1/48s in the trunk?

I know, huh? Sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do. Well I have been moving a lot lately and hadn't gotten around to getting all my stuff I packed into my car out of the trunk. Dang it how do you post the smiley that smacks his head against a brick wall?

Well it should also be a lesson, important things should come out first, the stuff you know you can live without should come later.

I've made the same mistake and I was very stupid in the way I did things when I was still in HS.

The town I live in has had virtually no criminal mishaps till the last 4 years now....I left my Guitar a lil cannon fooder like fender cause I was going to an audition the next morning for a school project and I came to find out my car was broken into cause I left the thing unlocked accidently and the guitar along with ALOT of CD's (Macross Plus, 7, DYRL, the works) were stolen.

Then 4 months later my car was broken into again the day after my birthday and more CD's were stolen.

Course I placed in a report, but they didn't wanna do anything bout it and it pissed me off.

But I had time before auditions were over with, so my mom felt bad for me and bought me a brand new Fender Stagemaster which was triple in value to my old fender, but I didn't get the gig.

But this always shows you 1) always make sure your car is locked 2) Never keep anything important in there, no matter if it's a CD, a Yammie or your guitar.

Assuming the guy doesn't keep it (it's extremely unlikely he's a fan, although...read below), it's pretty obvious where he'll try to sell it. A hobby shop, bootleg sellers, or online like ebay. It's not like there's a large market for Yamato 1/48 toys. The theif's options to offload the merchandise are rather limited. If you keep your eyes open, watch ebay/amazon market place and keep in touch with the local hobby/variety stores, you may even help the local police nab this guy. Most small time crooks are pretty stupid and you might be surprised what you can do to catch him!

Statistics say that a large chunk of robberies are committed by people that the victim knows. Now, don't take that to mean friends, but someone who knows you through a common friend but you don't necessarily hang around with him. A lot of room theft and vehicle theft they say takes place when a fellow live-in invites his/her friends over or even to come by for brief periods of time. They snatch and no one is any the wiser.

Edited by Mr March

Cyde01,

Wow man. Sorry to hear that. And I do hope Karma gets the theif(s).

To make you feel better, my fiancee is leaving (not in a bad note). The wedding is off. We just got a condo in SoCal. Now I'm stuck with a mortgage. It's gonna be hard to get Yamatos now. I had in mind collecting all the valkyries released, but it ain't gonna happen no more.

I'll probably end up selling stuff on Ebay soon.

Check your backs...watch out for those fools casing yer home, car, time you leave, when you turn lights off at night etc.

Don't fret! Yamato will provide us more great stuff soon, and more opportunities for you to purchase.

The theif's options to offload the merchandise are rather limited. If you keep your eyes open, watch ebay/amazon market place and keep in touch with the local hobby/variety stores, you may even help the local police nab this guy. Most small time crooks are pretty stupid and you might be surprised what you can do to catch him!

I'll try but it's not exactly like I live in a small market. The guy could hop on a freeway and sell it at hobby shops anywhere in Long Beach, the southbay, LA, or Orange County. But you're right, hobby shops that sell Yamatos are limited.

And it's not like I left my car unlocked, the guy tore open my driver side window. I didn't know this til today but apparently cars parked in the whole neighborhood have been broken into and burglarized repeatedly. Oh well I've learned my lesson now.

edit: Oh, and sorry to hear the fiancee's leaving. Makes my situation sound not so bad at all.

Edited by cyde01

That sucks !!

Hopefully you catch the perp and give him a good kick in the bollocks.

Hell I dont even leave my car out. I learnt the hard way, and so did the theif he couldnt see out of his left eye for weeks, and the limp we gave him must have been painful too. Rule one if your gonna break into some ones car make sure he and his slightly massive friend with a short temper are not watching.

I really do hope you get them back.

Death is too good for those type of scum.

the panel on the wing of the roy with the # 001 is loose and in the bottom of the box. the VF-1J Max had an extreme arthritic hip with the rubber seal ozzing out major, i think on the left hip. both did not have any stickers applied. obviously, the boxes are not sealed.

edit: and i wish i had the option of parking inside. i live in a condo with no gate and no garage!! :(

Edited by cyde01

I'll try but it's not exactly like I live in a small market. The guy could hop on a freeway and sell it at hobby shops anywhere in Long Beach, the southbay, LA, or Orange County. But you're right, hobby shops that sell Yamatos are limited.

And it's not like I left my car unlocked, the guy tore open my driver side window. I didn't know this til today but apparently cars parked in the whole neighborhood have been broken into and burglarized repeatedly. Oh well I've learned my lesson now.

edit: Oh, and sorry to hear the fiancee's leaving. Makes my situation sound not so bad at all.

Don't think about what you can't do. Concentrate on what you can. It's possible the thief is from out of the country and was passing through robbing people on his way overseas. Anything is possible. But it's unlikely. It's also doubtful that the thief is going to spend a hundred dollars in fuel travelling up and down the coast to sell a stolen toy he might not get for even that much.

Thieves are looking for the fast and easy way to make a buck. If they wanted to work hard like the rest of us, they wouldn't be stealing now would they? If he's going to turn it into cash, it's likely your thief will dump the stuff as closeby and as fast as possible. Send out a fax/email to every hobby shop you know telling them to be on the lookout for stolen merchandise. Provide easy to see pictures. Keep an eye on any ebay/amazon auctions for 1/48 yammies that pop up suddenly in your state. It's not like there's a lot of them. Go shopping at the bootleg stores and back alley general markets, peruse used stores and thrift markets. Sure, the thief could live on the other side of the city or out of town, but what if he lives within 10-50 blocks of your house? It's a chance.

I had a friend once who found his stolen stuff at a pawn shop on the same side of his city, tracked the guy's name and gave it to the police. Caught like rats in a hole, as Britai would say.

I think the main question isn't really about leaving the Yammies in the Trunk or in the backseat. But Why would anyone leave not one but 2 Yammie in a car over night in the first place? I'm pretty sure that's the question the others were asking. If the 1/48 is that improtant to your then you shouldn't leave it in your car over night in the first place.

I can understand how it'd happen, though. It is perilously tempting to think of one's own car, when locked, as being secure. It's not. I've had two car-breakins (though, thankfully, none since) in which I lost the CD players and a palm pilot (Handera 330 - flaky as hell but it was a fun model...) and two backpacks full of expensive Japanese textbooks. In the first they just smashed the window (comprehensive glass coverage: Yay! Difficulty in finding a non-smoked rear door window for a Jeep Cherokee: Boo....) and in the second they jammed something in my doorlock and twisted. Did I learn after the first time? Apparently not. But apart from that, one's car is very personal space, and 99.9% (in my neighborhood anyway) of the time it's perfectly safe to leave things in the car for a bit. So, like I said, it's tempting to think that stuff's safe. But windows break, locks break, and I don't think anybody takes alarms seriously, either.

cyde01: I sympathize with your loss. It's not just the cost of the things or the fact that in this case it's hard to replace them even with money. They were yours and I know how it can feel when somebody violates that.

OK, so does any so cal natives know where all the hobby shops and pawn shops are in the cerritos area?

hobby...

http://www.google.com/search?q=hobby+shops...:en-US:official

pawn...

http://www.google.com/search?q=pawn+shops+...:en-US:official

google knows all....

mental note to self:

never leave yammies unattended in automobiles...

Dang man. I'm glad I live up here in North Dakota where I can park on the street and not worry about that crap.

or pretty much anywhere in china, south korea, and especially japan. I left a brand new digital camera on a counter in a cafe in tokyo and forgot about it for a good thirty minutes. Still there when I got back. Somehow I doubt that would have happened where I live in southern california.

Dang man. I'm glad I live up here in North Dakota where I can park on the street and not worry about that crap.

Finally, someone has isolated the good thing about living in North Dakota! :D

I'm glad I live in CA where the honies are money, the money is money, the weather is money, and I may have to occasionally worry about something being taken out of my car... but never having my car spin out on black ice into a street light!

In all seriousness though, this totally sucks. I remember when I had to transport my LV from my ex's and had do run some errands all day, then stopped by a friend's house and didn't get home until the next day. The car was locked, alarm was armed, but it was in the back of my mind. Sometimes you don't have a choice but to leave something important in your car so I sympathize.

You may have started something here. My work van got broken into today while I was working in London. I rushed out and caught them but they got away in their car. I gave the cops the plate number and descriptions and the Van was covered in prints, add to that the CCTV cameras that caught them on film. a good result you`d think only the cops are not interested. Meanwhile my van has a large hole in the door now. Luckly no Macross goodness was inside, for once.

O.K Guys and Gals lock up your cars as theres something going round.

Edited by big F