The new 1/144 scale Valks by Popy

chowyunskinny

Hello all,

I don't always come here to Macross World and I rarely if ever login or post on the forums. I do however know from my occasional browsing that MW is THE place for information on Macross related stuff. So now I request your help.

I am really keen on buying these 1/144 Chara-Works Valkyries. However, I would greatly appreciate if someone could advise on the scale/size of these toys. The post by newca seems to suggest that these toys are slightly smaller than standard 1/144 scale diecast airplanes.

So what should a guy do if I want to display my Valkyries with other airplanes or toys that match together size-wise? Would these Valkyries look better next to say... 1/200 scale airplanes? Or perhaps they look better next to the 1/144 scale Gundam Fix-Figuration or MSiA series?

Any advice and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Note* - I know I should go Yamato 1/48 but space and budget is limited.

Yep, she is nice too, but the wings don't swing back, which is not as sweet as it sounds man. The Max doesn't have the ordnance stuck to his wings, so expect his to have free swivelling wings, as opposed to his mate. I took off all the missile ordnance off both Hikky and Millia's 1J's and it is possible to modify the wings to swivel, if your handy with a scapel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have to say, that after picking up these 1/144 mini valks..... I'm not too impressed.

Yes the details are awesome but I find the workmanship really sloppy. I picked up my first set and lo and behold, my Milia's legs were glued off tangent, so both curve inwards :angry:

The rest were ok.... lots of excess glue and sloppy paint work. But still, considering that they were gashapons I think I could live with them. Somewhat....

I mean comparing quality, take the Story!Image!Figure! series, lots of detail, good heafty weight to it. Excellent paint work. Ok, maybe that's a little high end.

I mean, the 1/144 charaworks Valks are made of low-grade plastics, a good sneeze would snap it!

Take bandai(gundams) Gashapons for example, small similar scale, made from pvc, highly detailed... Sigh...Too bad I missed the both when Bandai released the Macross series....

Anyone out there has spare sets and wanna let em go to a good loving owner?? :lol:

Sorry , rant over.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my pack of 1/144 Chara-works boxes today from HLJ.

I open the first box and it's the special "Zentraedi" VF-1 :rolleyes:

Here's the low down on these "toys".

First of all, it's not a toy. It's a display piece. A rather nice looking display piece. The sculpt is fantastic. There are some blemishes but in my opinion something I could live with - mainly because these Valks are REALLY small. I forgot how small 1/144 scale was. :lol:

I am glad that these Valks are not made of those soft PVC plastic types that tend be used in those egg-type gachapons. BUT these Valks are VERY lightly built. As the previous poster mentioned, a good sneeze could break something - particularly the landing gears. OMG are these gears microscopic! You definitely need some tweezers or something to put those gears and hatches on. Not to mention those decals... Oh, and better keep some glue around because you are sure to break a few trying to put them into the slots (the gears sometimes do not fit well at all!). I'm just going to keep certain ones permanently in flight mode or with gears down.

Overall I am happy with these Valks. It is annoying that I have to put some effort into these "toys" and handle them like they're made of egg shells. But I guess that's what you get for going this small and wanting more accuracy than the Doyusha diecasts.

I've had mine fall off my display plenty of times, and no breakages, simply put bak to together and good as new, robust little beggars! Just have to be areful with the lnding gear. I can't wait for series 2 to show up, more so just for the fun of seeing what i'll get out of the 10! :D

I really had too much fun with a box of series 1.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

These little kits are great. My "Zaentradi" came with one of the front wheels missing (broken off) I guess, so there are QC issues with these kits. A little crazy glue can fix the problem.

Series 2 seem to be in pre-order mode in Japan.

If the second series is anything like the first then get your order in asap. I was in Tokyo just after the first series dropped and shops sold out really quick. I was in one shop that had them and bought a couple (Zent Hikaru and a CF) just to check em out back at the hotel. Went back over to the shop (across the road from my hotel) and the guy at the till was just selling the whole stock to one guy. They had pre opened several cases to allow people to choose. Strangely there were quite a few Zents and lots of Max and Hikaru. No matter though as the guy bought everything. I then bought every Macross gashapon in the shop weather I had it already or not, just in case he came back for another go.

They are lovely little things QC aside I just want to Panelline and weather them and pop them in my display cases.

Edited by big F

No matter though as the guy bought everything. I then bought every Macross gashapon in the shop weather I had it already or not, just in case he came back for another go.

Damn eBay whores. This guy is going to go list them on eBay now or in a year and make what.....$20 on them. That crap drives me nuts. The same guys are responsible for me having to buy my Leader Class Prime on eBay because I can't buy a Transformer off of a shelf anywhere near where I live.

Rant over....and out. :huh:

Shoulda talked to me because I saw leader class Prime at my costco and would have gotten it to you at cost.

Damn eBay whores. This guy is going to go list them on eBay now or in a year and make what.....$20 on them. That crap drives me nuts. The same guys are responsible for me having to buy my Leader Class Prime on eBay because I can't buy a Transformer off of a shelf anywhere near where I live.

Rant over....and out. :huh:

For whatever it's worth... some of the shops (very few now) in MongKok in Hong Kong still have the full set (of 6) and they sell them at under HK$300 (US$40). I saw one shop the other day that was selling all 7 (including the secret Zent) at HK$320. (Darn it! :angry: Since this was about a couple of weeks after I had bought my full set of 6 and the secret. The secret alone cost me HK$100!)

I think they look quite nice too, and they even "throw in" the waterslides for such small toys!! How come we are stuck with ugly and thick stickers for Yamatos, at least for the 1/60, not sure about the 1/48's since I don't own and can't afford them...

Every unit I got in the first run required me to either:

A. Take apart the unit with a scalpel and glue it together right

B. Putty in chipped-off sections and sand

C. File off flash on pegs in order to make units fit better

D. Repaint partial sections of the models in order to cover up repairs, ior finish painting on incomplete parts (like the black canopy frames, argh!!)

Then since the decals are very glossy, after doing all the work They need a flat clear coat to take away the excess shine.

A lot of effort to make a completed model look good it's best. I wish they had been a lil more careful about the construction and painting.

• 1 month later...

So who's got them still on the way? I'm curious to see what the "secret Valk" is. As you all know i cancelled mine, but still would love to know what the chase valk is. :D

maybe they will bring out a series 3, this series 2 is lacking, with the VT-1 the only draw for me...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Every unit I got in the first run required me to either:

A. Take apart the unit with a scalpel and glue it together right

B. Putty in chipped-off sections and sand

C. File off flash on pegs in order to make units fit better

D. Repaint partial sections of the models in order to cover up repairs, ior finish painting on incomplete parts (like the black canopy frames, argh!!)

Then since the decals are very glossy, after doing all the work They need a flat clear coat to take away the excess shine.

A lot of effort to make a completed model look good it's best. I wish they had been a lil more careful about the construction and painting.

Are you serious, look how small they are and at $6 each, what do you expect? You didnt have to do all that work, you wanted to. For what they are, they are very nive display pices.

So who's got them still on the way? I'm curious to see what the "secret Valk" is. As you all know i cancelled mine, but still would love to know what the chase valk is. :D

I could tell you, but then I would need to kill you I am afraid B))

maybe they will bring out a series 3, this series 2 is lacking, with the VT-1 the only draw for me...

I've still got my 2 boxes on order, and my offer still stands: I will offer all of my extras to MW members at cost, so that people won't be beholden to Ebay scalpers. In the [very] unlikely event that I have these before anyone else (ordered mine through BBTS), I'll be sure to let you all know all about them, and the "secret" valk.

I'd expect that we should probably be hearing more about these very soon, as release was targetted for late January/early February IIRC.

I was thinking of getting a box of them. I did this for the series 2 Cms figures and managed to get a whole set, When I did it for the Kaiyoda Valks I got two whole sets in the box :) one for me and one for my very surprised bro, he'd seen the scalpers prices on eBay and asumed they were really expensive.

If I do I will out my extras here I think

I dont even know what the MM Guard is but its cool. Also, isnt this the 1st small scale Super O?

I think it is the first small scale Super O. The MM was IIRC one of two fan made customs that Hasegawa liked so much they did kits of at least one and the other type you could get decals for and see the how too in one of the Japanese model mags.

Look here at October 2002 for more info http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazi...odelgraphix.htm