What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Neptune and Cowie, the Tomahawks look great! Neptune, for added realism, get a small brush with some thinner and write in scale letters, "wash me." :lol: It is heavily worn and tired looking alright, but done great! - MT

Hi all,

Been working on my birthday present since I got back from school at the beginning of the month... finally have something painted to show for it. This is the engine and transmission compartment all finished... included are a few pics of what will be visible once the model is fully assembled thru the hatches unless I cut up a few more panels, which I probably wont do... notice the brass hatches I made for the engine hatch... those took about four tries to not screw up and make workable and durable.

PROMETHEUM5-engine1.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-engine2.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-engine3.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-engine4.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-engine5.jpg

And thanks for the positive comments guys. Man I loved building that destroid. No cockpit to detail, no canopy to polish, no complex masking, stuff all rescribing. Just seam lines and paint. Happy days! You armour fans are onto a good wicket!

Great looking stuff guys!

Cowie- I love the battle damage on your Tomohawk! The damage on the right hip is fantastic. I think the weathering is right on for an "experienced" destroid. Some added paint chipping might liven things up a bit, but that's only if you like the look. It is really great as it is. Are you going to put it into a diorama? I'd love to see what it had gone through to get into that shape!

P5- All I can say is that is some Kylwell or HWRMKII caliber work there! The engine looks like a photo of the real thing! I hope you will be able to see plenty of it once the hull is on.

Great looking stuff guys!

Cowie- I love the battle damage on your Tomohawk! The damage on the right hip is fantastic. I think the weathering is right on for an "experienced" destroid. Some added paint chipping might liven things up a bit, but that's only if you like the look. It is really great as it is. Are you going to put it into a diorama? I'd love to see what it had gone through to get into that shape!

P5- All I can say is that is some Kylwell or HWRMKII caliber work there! The engine looks like a photo of the real thing! I hope you will be able to see plenty of it once the hull is on.

Thanks jardann! I like the paint chipping idea - what would you suggest for paint chipping in 1/100 scale? I tossed up doing the salt weathering, but decided against (thought it'd look overscale). I used grey and silver artists pencils on the edges - maybe next time try a few flicks with the pencil?

Damn Ben, that rust effect is awesome! How did you do it? I'm talking about the exhaust manifold and pipes

Yeah Awesome

How'd you do it enquiring minds need to know.

Thanks for the comments guys... this is now I explained the rust elsewhere...

The rust is a two part affair... I first did some dabbing with different rusty colored acrylics to basecoate the pipes... dark brown, medium brown, rusty red, and then orange to provide some extra color variance. I then applied a heavy coat of Dark Rust from the Tamiya weathering compound sets (similar in consistency to women's blush/makeup) and then used a much smaller applicator to do the Orange Rust spots... combined with the acrylics colors underneath, I got a great deal of variance to the color of the rust, which I think makes it look pretty realistic without having to go all out with some of the liquid compounds, which provide much more texture and the like...

Yeah Cowie, I think just a few flicks with the pencils across the edges would do, or use one of those silver gel pens to give a slightly different sheen. Just a little bit though. I think it is easily overdone. The kit looks great right now, (probably better than anything I could do) but the chipping could add some sparkle! ^_^

Dude! Cowie you have got to start putting your stuff into a single thread so I can see it. I keep missing all your stuf in this thread. Either that or post it over at the HSMC forums.

Very nice tomahawk bloke, hats off.

post-1196-1210947617_thumb.jpgPromethuem5, I love the look of the engine. It makes me feel that I can drop in and start her up.

BigF, you are so close. But I'll give it to you anyway.

Here is my current progress pictures on the Defender and a couple of others.

post-1196-1210947632_thumb.jpg

post-1196-1210947799_thumb.jpg

Edited by neptunesurvey

Promethuem5 - holy cow, I saw those pics and thought I clicked on the wrong forum, I thought it was some type of working engine kit or something! Great job!

Working on the exterior now... the markings are of no particular unit, based on a variety of images I found and my decision to change from a whitewash to something with white recognition stripes and messy hand-painted numbers...

So far it's received some pigment and oil washes on the running gear, and oil-dot filteirng on the whole thing which, like most good initial treatments has been mostly covered up by subsequent layers of work. I also did some very light drybrushing on the hull to accentuate the cast textures, and did the initial chipping work. It's a boring design in boring green, so I'm spending my time on serious surface color variation and weathering... both the hull and running gear have a long way to go, including lots more oil and pigment applications, and painting the tracks, neatening up the chipping, and adding rust streaking.

PROMETHEUM5-T34EXT1.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-T34EXT2.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-T34EXT3.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-T34EXT4.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-T34EXT5.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-T34EXT6.jpg

Edited by promethuem5

So very cool. Those paint drips take the "181" from amateurish (if that's a word) straight to pro. Sometimes when modellers try and simulate scale paint jobs they come out 'not right'. But man, you nailed it.

The subtle colour changes are great! You've done such a nice job breaking up the bland surface. I guess it's the same principle as shading panels on scale jets.