What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Due to moving the communal wip thread into the hall of super topics. This shall be the continue of the xyz has decleared war on my bench thread. Well, at least we need another topic to show off messed up workspace.

I've resume work on my M-Club recast VF-1S and VF-4G again .Hope to finish these soon.

interesting tachikoma you have there! whats that on her arm?

It's a 2inch Imai "Thunderbird 2" from Gerry Anderson's puppet show Thunderbirds. I got this "nice little kit" through Ebay.I couldn't find any pictures of these models on the www. So I bid on this whitout knowing what it looks like. And was very disappointed in the first. The kit include a micro Rescue machine Thunderbird 2 and something they called a Virgil Tracy figure. A base for the International Rescue machine. Don't know why Imai sold this as a TB2 kit but Virgil"blob"Tracy(3") is way bigger than the actual feature. But after some sceptism it turned out to a great model for improvements.

post-1730-1164044183_thumb.jpg

post-1730-1164044207_thumb.jpg

post-1730-1164044234_thumb.jpg

Edited by TSP

Nice use of the tiny TB21 Did you have to vac-form your own canopies for the Club M kits? where did you get the vacu-form moulds? I'd love to get one of those 1/72 VF-4 kits. But alas, that is not to be (for the moment).

TSP thanks for bringing this thread back. The model section of MW just isn´t complete without it.

As for your TB kit, afaik it is part of a figure series - the figures (at least all of the Tracys and Brains were made but I guess there was a Lady Peneloe too) are actually the main subject and they are just "complemented" by a tiny model of their respective craft. Maybe the eBay seller didn´t get this...

Still, your TB2 looks great.

It seems there are lots of TB2 kits from all ages and in all sizes. Especially the older ones seem to have many workable features but are quite toylike. I remember having had a VERY big one (about 40cm) that turned out to be all wrong in shape, and I know of a smaller, more accurate version that unfortunately had all the engine and other detail parts in red, bendable rubbery plastic. I guess there is a 1/350 version that was made by IMAI in the 80s and this one should be the most accurate - probably the one that comes with the hangar and/or the spare pods. Still, whenever I see a kit with a TB2 in it, I´m never sure what´s in it so I stayed away from them so far.

Nice use of the tiny TB21 Did you have to vac-form your own canopies for the Club M kits? where did you get the vacu-form moulds? I'd love to get one of those 1/72 VF-4 kits. But alas, that is not to be (for the moment).

The tooling was self-made. I didn't liked the shape of the actual canopy. So I decided to make one myself just to try vacu forming. :D

TSP thanks for bringing this thread back. The model section of MW just isn´t complete without it.

As for your TB kit, afaik it is part of a figure series - the figures (at least all of the Tracys and Brains were made but I guess there was a Lady Peneloe too) are actually the main subject and they are just "complemented" by a tiny model of their respective craft. Maybe the eBay seller didn´t get this...

Still, your TB2 looks great.

I was tempted by the package. It says Thunderbird2 with virgil tracy. So I thought the fatbird would be the highlight.

It seems there are lots of TB2 kits from all ages and in all sizes. Especially the older ones seem to have many workable features but are quite toylike. I remember having had a VERY big one (about 40cm) that turned out to be all wrong in shape, and I know of a smaller, more accurate version that unfortunately had all the engine and other detail parts in red, bendable rubbery plastic. I guess there is a 1/350 version that was made by IMAI in the 80s and this one should be the most accurate - probably the one that comes with the hangar and/or the spare pods. Still, whenever I see a kit with a TB2 in it, I´m never sure what´s in it so I stayed away from them so far.

I have one of those toy-like Imai's. The red parts are made of PE and the cargo boxes have holes for wheels. Still have to put a lot of work into it untill it looks good. But I would rather build the new Bandai TB2 instead.

This is the most accurate model ot TB2 i could find. How to build TB2

I d like to share a few things from my workbench if I may.

And since I cant seem to add attachments just click here:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/lt_cooper2000/...803806782965/11

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/lt_cooper2000/...803806851595/12

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/lt_cooper2000/...803806606578/13

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/lt_cooper2000/...?change_count=1

Edited by cokefiend

I have a huge problem.

I've been buying many model kits but have yet to start on any of them :wacko:

What I have laying around, waiting for my attentions:

1/72 Hasegawa Super VF-1S Battroid

1/72 Hasegawa VF-1 Jet

1/32 Tamiya F-14A+

1/35 Tamiya Leopard 2A6

1/35 Dragon Panther G

1/32 Trumpeter F4U Corsair

1/72 Resin VF-11 (Can't remember maker but it's not a recast. It has the cover with the VF-11 series of weapons arrayed around it)

1/35 Dragon M1A1 AIM

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished: a SU-22 Fitter of the former Eastern German Air Force. 1/48 scale, it is made from a Czech kit (Kopro) - not up to modern standards but captures the look of the plane very well, only the wings were way too thick and they cannot swing properly so I thinned them down and glued them on in the forward position.

[attachmentid=38802]

[attachmentid=38803]

post-2845-1165669378_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1165669701_thumb.jpg

:blink:

Verdammt, your models make my eyes hurt (popping out of their sockets)! Freehand camo airbrushing, huh?

Yep :) I usually mask my models, but this one was a big beast and I had to try out my new Olympus airbrush! :D

Working on the 1/6 crew for my Leopard tank. These have custom made heads to give the crew the correct headgear. This headgear is not available through commercial means. The head is cast with a blank where the face goes. You have to slice the face off another 1/6 dragon figure head and then trim that, fit it and paint the rest of the head.

post-2293-1166321905_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1166321928_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1166321950_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1166321975_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1166321994_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1166322011_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1166322035_thumb.jpg

From models to playing with dolls, how does that happen?

Just kidding man, looks awesome!

Aren't you supposed to be scratchbuilding something else though in 1/72 scale? LOL

Edited by Grayson72

From models to playing with dolls, how does that happen?

Just kidding man, looks awesome!

Aren't you supposed to be scratchbuilding something else though in 1/72 scale? LOL

The 1/72 project will not be started until february. It will also not be mentioned until complete. :p

Hey HWR, looks great. I'm waiting for the figure to start shouting out commands in German! Too bad I didn't get to meet up with you. I know you're leaving soon. - MT

Actual I planned to spend the weekend with my Lightning III. But thanks to some inspiring Mecha works from another forum I ended up painting Mobile Suits instead. :angry: What a waste of time.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update on the Star Destroyer from last year. And yeah, I noticed his new owner already broke off a Dual Turbolaser canon. <_<

IPB Image IPB Image

Edited by TSP

Nice start. Are planning on panel lining the valk prior to installling the reactive armour?

you bet ya', that thing just begs to be paneled lined, and I didn't bother on fixing the seam lines on the intakes, and there's a little paint smudge on the right intake, but the seam line and smudge will be covered by armor so it's all good!