What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Ah nice Starfury man. You are doing exactly what I had planned as well. The updated Starfury from B5 TLT

I've been trying to get somebody else interested in this project--let me know if you want to discuss some ideas about this project. It's my first time scratchbuilding anything, so I'm fumbling around a bit. I'm still not sure what to do about the extended exhaust turkey feathers on the main thrusters, and about the changed maneuvering thrusters. Do you have any casting experience? It would be nice to make some replacement maneuvering thrusters in bulk, since there are eight of them...

PM me if you're actually planning to work on it.

I have a gallery of screencaps from the episode:

http://tenbyten.com/images/Starfury/Lost%2...s%20Brightened/

cE

An update on the 1/100 Mac Zero Tomcat:

The nose-fuselage join is a real dog. It took three repairs with Mr 500 and a lot of sanding. The intake-engines join is also very poor. Once again it took a lot to tidy up. The seam lines are now gone, and I have to rescribe a few panels.

post-3555-1210048496_thumb.jpg

And here's a cockpit photo for jardann :) Belts are Tamiya tape. The black and yellow handles are a single strand of speaker wire, painted yellow, with gundam marker for black stripes. It was tedious but helps dress up the awful cockpit. There is a really unattractive gap/hole behind the RIO's seat. I missed it until now.

post-3555-1210048517_thumb.jpg

The nose is probably a liiiittle short. I heavily rescribed the horizontal lines and added a nose pitot. This seemed to change the feel and to me it actually looks proportional now. My wife always reminds me - vertical lines on your shirt make you look tall, horizontal lines make you look wide! :)

Mark

1/100 Tomahawk update:

Pre-shade

post-3555-1210048993_thumb.jpg

Base colour (MM USMC Sand)

post-3555-1210048968_thumb.jpg

Added highlight colour (Tamiya buff), and a mix of decals from the spares box

post-3555-1210049012_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1210049035_thumb.jpg

Next is some more Future, panel lines, matt coat, weathering, then final matt coat. Or something like that order.

Im just doing some work on a little birdy A falke!

MKII,

The speed at which you paint and put models together (amonst other things), never ceases to amaze me.

So let me get this straight. There is:

-sonic speed

-light speed

-warp speed

and

-holy-muther-frucken-son-of-a-that's-awesome-MKII speed? ^_^

Excellent work as always.

Great work. I love the weathering.

I agree; it looks like the mech is actually constructed out of metal. Did you dry-brush on the metallic surfaces along the edges, or did you apply the green over a metal-colored base-coat, and then sand off the exposed areas?

The decal application is outstanding as well-- they look painted on! Very impressive! :)

I agree; it looks like the mech is actually constructed out of metal. Did you dry-brush on the metallic surfaces along the edges, or did you apply the green over a metal-colored base-coat, and then sand off the exposed areas?

The decal application is outstanding as well-- they look painted on! Very impressive! :)

Thanks wraith1701. The main color used was Model Master Enamel Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943. I drybrushed on a dark gray to simulate a primer coat. On the dent on the right arm gun it was painted dark gray and then steel. Tamiya pastals where used on the kit.

NS you sure turned out a great kit there. At first glance, I would have thought the weathering was a little heavy but boy once you look for another moment it blends right in and creates a tired, beat up old Tomahawk. It looks very nice mate, well done.

Maybe I'd better wait a week or two before I post my 1/100 Tomahawk pics... or until people forget how good yours looks :)

In my book of modelling equivalents, destroids = WWII tanks, valks = 1970s jet fighters. That's the way I like my destroids, beat-up and tired-looking. B))

I usually don't weather my kits this much, but I have an idea for a diorama and it will require it to be heavily weathered.

Would that diorama have anything to do with that "club"-wielding Spartan?

Here is the finished 1/72 Tomahawk. I added a picture as a size comparsion to the Hasegawa Battroid and VF kits. Enjoy.

Hey, that is very awesome. :lol: It must have took a long time to detail and weather it like that?

Again, very nice work on the Tomahawk neptune.

I just got one of these in the mail. Casting looks good! I had planned to build a Millenium Falcon next, but this... looks pretty good! Can you tell I'm excited!?!? ^_^:lol:^_^:lol:^_^

How is the cockpit? I have an old recast of the kit, and the canopy was so thick that I went and made a vac-formed one. Also, the legs need a lot of putty if you build it with gear up, and there was a nasty seamline running through the engravings.

Come to think of it, I might still have the master of the canopy, notify me if you can use it.

I had a brief look at it last night (back at work now) and I was excited by what I saw. By and large the castings look good, but I must admit I did not have a good look at the canopy - it was sealed in a bag with lots of other small parts. The canopy looked opaque, but I've dealt successfully with canopies like that before with a combination of a lot of polishing and Future. But if it's too thick though, it wont look good, as you say. Thanks for your offer, I'm going to check it out again tonight.

Yeehah, the 1/100 Tomahawk is finished. :)

This is the first time I've built anything like this - I usually do 1/24 shiny cars and lightly weathered modern jets. I would dearly love some feedback on how to improve the finish to make it look more realistic. To me, the back of the destroid looks a little over done but the rest seems to come off ok.

I mucked around and added a few extra parts. Two antenna, rifling on the arm cannon things, and extra armour in the flavour of 'anti-RPG' around the cockpit and floodlight. The original floodlight was just flat plastic, so I cut it out, made something like the inside of a headlight, glued in a pair of LEDs and fitted a clear screen. Hurrah for the spares bin. The head guns were replaced with the main guns from a 1/570 Bismarck.

And here's teh pics! :)

post-3555-1210658563_thumb.jpg post-3555-1210658602_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1210658644_thumb.jpg post-3555-1210658688_thumb.jpg

post-3555-1210658923_thumb.jpg post-3555-1210658958_thumb.jpg

And some fun stuff

post-3555-1210658760_thumb.jpg post-3555-1210658879_thumb.jpg

New avatar time :D

Edited by cowie165