Why did Yamato make the Hikaru 1J -

GutsAndCasca

In the Macross series you never see Hikaru in his white and red VF1J with a fastpack on. So why does Yamato have a fast-packed 1J Hikaru in 1/60 and 1/48 scales? This has always puzzled me. I could understand them making a GBP Hikaru. But fastpacked? I'm missing something here.

Wouldn't have a damn clue. It is known that his VF-1J was destroyed just before he inherited Skull-1. Makes a nice add on for a custom TV Hikaru VF-1S though. Which is why I'm waiting for the rerelease of the Super VF-1J Hikaru. :D

maybe it wouldn't be fair that only tv mila and max had them so they thought "may as well let him have it too"?

tv Super Valks makes sense as money saving too. Why buy a seperate option kit when you can just let the person decide for themselves whether they want space use valkyrie one for atmosphere?

I can totally see the logic for this for gbp too: there might be people who want vf1a gbp for cannon fodders and things you don't see onscreen. (When is yamato going to release orguss valkyrie armor? :D) Totally ignoring that in the tv series a character did not use this. When you think about it in the story he wasn't even supposed to be using the gbp so it really makes little difference to the fan.

Personally I would like them to do tv roy (no DYRL arms and grey flightsuit) and then a tv vf1s hikaru (again flight suit) with tv fast packs. For a lot of people, maybe it might look different enough to a DYRL roy, but it would be less boring than reissue of something everyone already has. People could then say I own all the tv line: from CF, to max+milia, to Hik 1J with GBP, and true tv roy and hikaru in his prime as skull leader.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

maybe it wouldn't be fair that only tv mila and max had them so they thought "may as well let him have it too"?

tv Super Valks makes sense as money saving too. Why buy a seperate option kit when you can just let the person decide for themselves whether they want space use valkyrie one for atmosphere?

I can totally see the logic for this for gbp too: there might be people who want vf1a gbp for cannon fodders and things you don't see onscreen. (When is yamato going to release orguss valkyrie armor? :D) Totally ignoring that in the tv series a character did not use this. When you think about it in the story he wasn't even supposed to be using the gbp so it really makes little difference to the fan.

Personally I would like them to do tv roy (no DYRL arms and grey flightsuit) and then a tv vf1s hikaru (again flight suit) with tv fast packs. For a lot of people, maybe it might look different enough to a DYRL roy, but it would be less boring than reissue of something everyone already has. People could then say I own all the tv line: from CF, to max+milia, to Hik 1J with GBP, and true tv roy and hikaru in his prime as skull leader.

I've often thought about that as well. (Having a COMPLETE TV set meaning, yes, Hikaru in Roy's VF, etc.) Maybe someday when I'm rich with oodles of cash to blow I'll work on doin' that. It'd take some cusomization, but hey, what are retirement homes for!

The only previous valk that could have been released with the TV FPs was the Roy 1S. But since it was packaged as a DYRL valk and had the Strike FP set for it, it left the 1J as the only option to release it with. I guess maybe they coulda rereleased Roy with the FPs at the time but since Roy had been out for quite a while (and was just rereleased a month before Hikaru) it would have been poor marketing. little did they know we woulda bought it all up anyway.

If you think about it, the Strike Cannon of the FP set was meant for Roy's valk since no other 1Ss were planned at the time it was released. So releasing the TV FPs for it would have been redundant.

Didn't this precedent get set with the 1/60s?? That's where the infamous Super Hik 1J first appeared. Hik 1J in 1/60 only was released as a GBP or a super... never as a standard valk. My take on it is that Yamato just does a Hik Super 1J to recoup the costs of doing the Max & Miriya Super 1Js... everything gets more cost effective if it's for more units.

If you think about it, the Strike Cannon of the FP set was meant for Roy's valk since no other 1Ss were planned at the time it was released. So releasing the TV FPs for it would have been redundant.

What I want though is a normal naked valk tv Roy where he is wearing the grey flightsuit and all. Not strike Roy. Strike Roy can be DYRL since in DYRL he was flying around in one. You can have your cake and eat it is my reasoning.

Just give roy the tv hands, the horizontal stripes on the wrist (not the vertical ones) and the grey flight suit instead of space suit)

Then follow that up with TV Hikaru 1S with Super. (because it was these three valks that survived the war:

1. super max

2. super milia

3. Super hikaru

..that kicked so much ass and were most "complete" at this point. It sorta feels wrong to have tv max+milia complete in upgraded form with tv fast packs, but no hikaru 1S with tv fast packs. And Hikaru was the skull leader in the series at that point so he is much more important in terms of story. You know what I mean? Why not, instead of reissuing the same thing and be boring, try a new release we haven't seen yet to entice completists?

A collector can then say "this is where all the tv valks are" (pointing to all three tv supers with the proper pilots and arms and fast packs etc)

"..and here are the DYRL versions". (with all the DYRL color coded stripes :D)

Just to feel everything is "complete". No mixing, modding, or recasting required. It would seem the next logical thing to do is continue releasing all the combinations from that tv series instead of only reissuing the same stuff. (not that I wouldn't also mind that..stuff paying higher than normal prices to ebay sellers :D)

Also another thing:

For tv series valks, I would trade the lack of the short range missiles that you normally get, for a pair of GBP side parts. Given that these boxes are not seen in the tv series, it would be a good trade off. TV series gets the side covers while DYRL get 4 sets of the micro missile boxes that were not used in the tv series.

Also TV series valks had no strike cannon, (remember it would just be a super valk, not a strike valk) so cost would be reduced.

Why not, instead of reissuing the same thing and be boring, try a new release we haven't seen yet to entice completists?

There's always going to be someone disatisfied with the releases that they do. So it may make sense to you for them to do one thing and not to someone else. If they released a variation of Roy's valk, it may make you happy but you know some other "completist" is gonna get upset cuz they have to get one with the small differetiations. "WTF? I got to get this one now just because it has a little gray pilot?"

Just give roy the tv hands, the horizontal stripes on the wrist (not the vertical ones)

Also, from what I learned here on MW and looking it up after. It seems that the stripes on the arms has nothingt to do with DYRL vs. TV versions. Only the VF-1J arms has the panel lines that go horizontal because it's manufactured by a different licensee.

My point simply is that the TV FPs cant be released "stratigecally" because you cant really sell it with any other valk. The 1S gets the strike, the M&Ms get their custom FPs, that would just about leave the CF as the only viable valk to be able to recieve the TV FPs. And as far as the 1/48s were concerned we were all pretty suprised to see that valk get made at the time.

If they released a variation of Roy's valk, it may make you happy but you know some other "completist" is gonna get upset cuz they have to get one with the small differetiations. "WTF? I got to get this one now just because it has a little gray pilot?"

Ok but they could do something like change the box or something so a MIB collector does feel like it's a "new thing"; a unique thing, worth getting. (similar to robotech MPC fans who love the unique packaging of the MPC and will display those boxes with spine facing you, proud that everything is there and it looks good to own it all)

I dunno, just seems like it would make a lot of sense having all the tv character in all thier stages to keep people interested/"surprised" or whatever. They could reissue older release at the same time if they wanted to. So the 199th reissue of DYRL Roy is simulataneous with a first release of tv roy with his bubble hands or whatever distinguishing characteristics there were that seperate the tv one from his DYRL one.

I made the suggestion that perhaps if they ever do the TV 1S Roy, that they just do the honourable thing and not milk a VF1S tv Hikaru (exact same plane, different pilot) and instead just include two pilots seeing as Hikaru eventually uses the same 1S as his sempai in the series. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so. Could people easily make a custom by just taking some pilot or parts from another release? Probably. But officially it would count as a "new", never-seen-yet canon valk. (which plugs in a gap in the tv line for fans of that)

A grey pilot might not mean much, but neither does a green stripe that differentiates DYRL kakizaki from others..

There are many things that Yamato can do to improve the DYRL Roy VF-1S and create a TV VF-1S also. The DYRL can have fixed robot hands just a reduced version of the hands that come with the GBP. The packaging already exists¦ the sculpt of new hands would be easy.

The first release of the TV VF-1S can be a limited production with TV fast packs, bubble hands, and TV pilots. For those that can not afford it all at once there can be a future release of the Valk with separate Fast Packs.

I would be happy to see TV Fast Pack sets for sale. Yamato can even include hands with the Fast Packs. Make future Fast Packs a true upgrade, TV/DYRL Hands based on type, side panels, custom decals. These items exist as a garage industry, just like the VF-1A Kakizaki and VF-1S Max, all Yamato needs to do is package it.

Edited by Fly4victory

Ok, I could be completely out in left field here, as far as toys go, is there really that big of a difference between the TV and DYRL style fastpacks? They look exactly same to me, only exception being that the armour on the arms is ever so slightly remolded around the wrists, but that's such a small difference that it doesn't even matter. And what's all this about the strike cannon? The DYRL super/strike parts for the 1/48 Yamato figures comes with two missile launchers and a strike cannon... so you can mix and match any way you want. I just really don't see the whole point being debated here. I've got the VF-1J Hikaru with the seperately purchased super parts and the VF-1J Hikaru super. And if you ask me, the only difference is colour.

Edited by CdnShockwave

You have a point. The same thoughts have crossed my mind. But in the long run, not having the exact actual TV fastpacks when you want them makes your life suck that much more. It may not be that big of a suck, it may be only an ant-suck, or a termite-suck, but it still sucks. An integral part of collecting Yamato is the pretentiousness of it all. :D

I just really don't see the whole point being debated here. I've got the VF-1J Hikaru with the seperately purchased super parts and the VF-1J Hikaru super. And if you ask me, the only difference is colour.

But what if you had no interest in the strike cannon due to it not being in the tv series? I would much prefer a TV Hikaru 1S with only the super parts to save money (all the required parts are in the one package) than buying the super+strike parts seperate.

And if you ask me, the only difference is colour.

yeah but the color makes a huge difference. the TV FP color looks SO much better on every valk yamato has made. the strike cannon looks cool but the blue color yamato chose makes the valk look cheap/crappy IMO.

i started a thread a while back about yamato releasing some other colored FP's, but they chose to release the stealth FPs instead....i have no idea why? i'm sure if they made other color varients, people would definitely buy them. i.e. old school bandai colored FPs, just plain grey, bascially anything but the cheap ass blue colored ones. perhaps if the stealth FP sells well, they'll think of releasing some cool colored varients.

yeah but the color makes a huge difference. the TV FP color looks SO much better on every valk yamato has made. the strike cannon looks cool but the blue color yamato chose makes the valk look cheap/crappy IMO.

i started a thread a while back about yamato releasing some other colored FP's, but they chose to release the stealth FPs instead....i have no idea why? i'm sure if they made other color varients, people would definitely buy them. i.e. old school bandai colored FPs, just plain grey, bascially anything but the cheap ass blue colored ones. perhaps if the stealth FP sells well, they'll think of releasing some cool colored varients.

Not even blue man. It's more like a murky green. Even Hikaru's VF-1J FAST Pack is green gray.

I want definite grey, and dark dark honest to goodness blue.

The only FAST Packs that are spot on are the Stealth ones and the Max and Miria.

Edited by kensei

Not even blue man. It's more like a murky green. Even Hikaru's VF-1J FAST Pack is green gray.

I want definite grey, and dark dark honest to goodness blue.

The only FAST Packs that are spot on are the Stealth ones and the Max and Miria.

if they made them the same shade of dark blue as the 1/60 strikes, it would've been perfect IMO. even if they made them in the GBP blue, it would better than the color they have now.

its funny we're complaining about these FP kits when i myself own 7 of them suckers. :lol:

You are all complaining about TV vs DYRL? Fast Packs?

Well, my life sucks big time cause I have one of my CF's dressed with DYRL? Fast Packs but don't have the proper green arrows stickers for the damn packs. So I ended with a DYRL? cannon fodder with red skull marking only cause I like red :lol:

So, why didn't Yamato include the green arrows sticker with the DYRL? Strike/Fast Packs for us the CF lovers??

That really sucks that you do not have correct markings on your aircraft. That hurts like a sharp poke in the eye everytime you see it.

Well, my life sucks big time cause I have one of my CF's dressed with DYRL? Fast Packs but don't have the proper green arrows stickers for the damn packs. So I ended with a DYRL? cannon fodder with red skull marking only cause I like red :lol:

So, why didn't Yamato include the green arrows sticker with the DYRL? Strike/Fast Packs for us the CF lovers??

haha, maybe its just the argentine releases. :p

when you say "green arrow stickers" are you speaking of the ones that go on the side of the FP leg armors? cause they definitely included the green arrows on the FP sticker sheet. :huh:

haha, maybe its just the argentine releases. :p

when you say "green arrow stickers" are you speaking of the ones that go on the side of the FP leg armors? cause they definitely included the green arrows on the FP sticker sheet. :huh:

HAHAHA!!!

I mean the markings for the boosters. If I'm not mistaken DYRL? CF's are from the "green arrows" squad. Yamato gave us DYRL? markings and the Macross kite but if we wanted to dress our CF there's no proper DYRL? marking.

I was a bit extreme in my previous post :lol::lol:

Since everybody is complaining about the accuracy of the fast packs I wanted to add my grain of salt :lol:

Here's a pic of the squad:

post-557-1158949659_thumb.jpg

In the Macross series you never see Hikaru in his white and red VF1J with a fastpack on. So why does Yamato have a fast-packed 1J Hikaru in 1/60 and 1/48 scales? This has always puzzled me. I could understand them making a GBP Hikaru. But fastpacked? I'm missing something here.

Well the VF-1J is capable of having fast packs and if they didn't make one with fast packs people would be saying "Where's my VF-1J Hikaru TV with fast packs?" They make DYRL VF-1J but I don't recall one every being shown.

Anyway, I'd rather have new color schemes like when they release Low-Vis and whatnot.

By the way, did they actually release an Enigma color scheme or are all of those custom paint jobs?