The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

Sadly no, as the region free games mandate only applies to PS3 games.

Ya that sucks. I have a pile of import PS2 games and was hoping to put my import PS2 in storage oh well.

PSone games are now available to download for the PSP from the Playstation store. You have to have a PS3 though.

PS games for PSP now on PS3

Sony updates its new console's PlayStation Store with five older games that work on the company's handheld system.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot

Posted Dec 4, 2006 2:43 pm PT

Sony took its first steps into the world of retro gaming today when it updated its PlayStation 3 online storefront with downloadable versions of five original PlayStation games that can be enjoyed on the PlayStation Portable.

The first slate of PS games to arrive on the system include a sampling of Sony-published PS hits, as well as one title from third-party publisher Namco. The currently available titles are Sony's Crash Bandicoot, Cool Boarders, Syphon Filter, and Hot Shots Golf 2, as well as Namco's Tekken 2. Each game costs $5.99 and carries a disclaimer that multiplayer functions in the games won't work because the games have not been altered to support the portable system's Wi-Fi functionality.

To play the games, customers will need to first download the games to their PS3s from the PlayStation Store, then transfer them via a USB cable to a PSP with a memory card that contains enough free space. The games range in size from 157MB (Hot Shots Golf 2) to 535MB (Tekken 2). Once downloaded, each game can be copied for use on up to five different PSP systems before it locks itself.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162670.html

Geez and I used to live near there too.

What's the deal with these attacks? I mean realistically, it's only worth so much to sell, so why is it that so many people are being attacked just for PS3's and not for any other expensive electronic item?

What's the deal with these attacks? I mean realistically, it's only worth so much to sell, so why is it that so many people are being attacked just for PS3's and not for any other expensive electronic item?

probably same reason people were being attacked for their nike's a few years back.

Take 1 part "must have item" add 1 part "broke" and stir in a heaping of "poor impulse control" and you get idiots killing and getting killed over a game.

wow, guess the resupply is going well, i was at Gamestop today buying a game and they had 2 PS3 60gigers go out the door. Everyone wants a Wii and not a PS3, they' had 6 in stock since Thursday.

Well maybe it's because everyone that wanted a Wii got one. ;)

People also have an inflated sense of value for the system. A lot of people expected they could get a $600 PS3 and then turn around and sell it on eBay for thousands. Now you're seeing eBay auctions where these people are having to repost their PS3s multiple times, practically begging people to pay their inflated prices. Still, at release so many people just thought a PS3 was like getting a golden ticket to Willy Wonka's Magical Money Land.

Well we would never know unless someone tries it out. :)

It's already been established that you can't play region coded games...

It's already been established that you can't play region coded games...

Have you tried it? Sony could just be saying this to try and stop people from pirating, I know its possible to play PS2 games on the PS3, whether it's region coded or not. Backwards compatibility is not perfect on the PS3, hell I can even play my imported VFX-2 on my US PS2, nothing stopping me from believing Sony's every word.

Have you tried it? Sony could just be saying this to try and stop people from pirating, I know its possible to play PS2 games on the PS3, whether it's region coded or not. Backwards compatibility is not perfect on the PS3, hell I can even play my imported VFX-2 on my US PS2, nothing stopping me from believing Sony's every word.

Keep the dream alive....and you got an import of VFX-2 to play on an un-modded PS2? I'll be damned if I can remember trying before I modded my PS2, but that's very interesting. I'd consider that more a cosmic fluke than anything.

Edited by Keith

Yes. No dice. And...are you saying your import PS1 game plays fine on your PS2 unmodded?

No way. I've dealt with PS2's from just about every serial batch and none of my import PS1 titles ever worked on them.

Also, is someone saying that they've successfully run their PS2 Macross game on the PS3?

Edited by myk

Unless you have a mod chip or flip top, no import game will work on a US system(or they other way around).

I had a JP PS1 and I still have a JP PS2 and none of the games ever worked on my US PS1/PS2. Well actually there was a way to play imports on the very first run of the Playstation. First you'd have to get a spring to keep the sensor down while the lid was open. Start up the PS1 and go to the CD menu and put the import disc in and then exit. The game would then boot up. Sony "fixed" this in the next batch of PS1s.

Anyway...Tekken 5 Dark Resurection for the PS3 is coming

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/749/749496p1.html

December 6, 2006 - The PlayStation Network is off to a slow start, but things are going to get a lot more interesting in the near future. According to Japan's Famitsu Weekly, Bandai Namco will be releasing a version of Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection for the download service. A release date and pricing information were not announced.

This version of Tekken 5 is based off the arcade update that powered the recent PSP entry in the series. The PS3 version will feature full 1080p visuals and the playable debut of boss character Jinpachi, who was unplayable in the arcade version. The various modes found in the arcade game, including arcade battle, ghost battle and gallery, will also be updated for the PS3 version.

At the very least, this ought to hold Tekken fanatics over until Bandai Namco is ready to start talking about Tekken 6.

Yes. No dice. And...are you saying your import PS1 game plays fine on your PS2 unmodded?

It was one of the first batched PS2s. Want a picture? It lasts longer...

If people can create a OS for the PS3 then no doubt that it would work, its completely reprogrammable.

But my guess is that Sony didn't have time to do much protection for PS/PS2 games on the PS3 since it was rushed out for release. That is unless you updated yours.

If people can create a OS for the PS3 then no doubt that it would work, its completely reprogrammable.

But my guess is that Sony didn't have time to do much protection for PS/PS2 games on the PS3 since it was rushed out for release. That is unless you updated yours.

I have several "first batch PS2's" including a launch day US one and I did have a launch day Japan unit for awhile...neither would play other's PS1 games. Are you saying your "first batch" PS2 plays your imports? Out of the box? Did you purchase it that way? OR are you talking a modded console?

And...yeah, you could find a way to do it on the PS3...the point is out of the box, even without updated firmware, you can't play import PS2 games, nor import PS1 ones. Could you hack it to make it so? Of course you probably could. That is still outside the realm of what was being asked by the posters.

Create an OS? Umm...why bother? You can install Linux on it as it is... :blink:

Edited by Gaijin

That's BS. I have a launch US PS2. It's never been able to play imports without any help. This ain't gamefaqs.com

Well....now I'm confused :blink:

If you had version 1.0 of the software disk that came with the first wave of Japan PS2's you could punch in some code to make the DVD player region free. It was quickly replace with version 1.1 that 'fixed' the problem.

wow, guess the resupply is going well, i was at Gamestop today buying a game and they had 2 PS3 60gigers go out the door. Everyone wants a Wii and not a PS3, they' had 6 in stock since Thursday.

WTF??? I've come close twice (both at Target, where I saw the PS3's in person but i was still 2 or 3 people behind in getting them). Could I perhaps talk into helping a fellow MW'er out and and get it and i'll hit you up for it. Maybe even a bit of a finder's fee?

I could care less about a Wii, OTOH. I passed up two chances for it so far (once last Saturday I was at Best Buy at opening and they had a gazillion of them. You had to line up but there was still a sizeable stack afterwards. I thought about playing ebay, but that's just not my style. Leave it to someone who wants it and/or wants to go through the trouble of selling it). My 60" SXRD screams for Blu-ray, though!!! I'm already enjoying HD-DVD from my 360 but I need something to play the Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down Blu-ray discs I bought...

I've come up empty from Worst Buy, Jerk It City, EB/Gameslop, you name it. I go in and ask for a PS3 and I get laughed at and told March or early next year. :angry: If you're down, I want a 60GB....

Edited by Uxi

I have a contact at a major retail outlet that will call me when they come in. (Not supposed to do that, but I have been shopping at that store during my lunch breaks for 9 years and have earned some loyalty from a long term employee there. Here's to hoping for tomorrow.)

PS3 Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection screen shots

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061208/tk5.htm

We'll refer you to the Impress Watch story for the 1280x720 screenshots. One shot midway through the page is a comparision showing off the original arcade version's 640x480 resolution with the full resolution of the PS3 version, 1920x1080.

Impress reports that the Dark Resurrection will clock in at about 800 Megabytes. Release and pricing information are still listed as TBA.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/749/749948p1.html

That's funny, there was a bunch of Ps3 (both 20 and 60GB versions) yesterday at Fry's. they are selling it in bundles, but no one is buying them. the 60GB version was going for $950 with 5 games and an extra controller (which is awhole lot better than buyign them on ebay).

I have a contact at a major retail outlet that will call me when they come in. (Not supposed to do that, but I have been shopping at that store during my lunch breaks for 9 years and have earned some loyalty from a long term employee there. Here's to hoping for tomorrow.)

Don't feel bad baby, that's how it all works; it's all about who you know...

• 2 weeks later...

I've never liked the Virtua Fighter Franchise, it was always too catered to the amateur button masher unlike the Tekken and just recently Soul Calibur Franchise (which dramatically changed in the last few offerings). Plus the characters are bland and the fighting engine is nowhere near as engaging as Dead Or Alive; this game definitely doesn't make me wanna jump on the PS3. When the newest Tekken or Capcom offering gets released, then i'll think about saving my pennies.

PS3 is nice. Got one last friday. Got RoM as well. Haven't had much time to play it, what with all the x-mas parties lately, but a bunch of buds are dropping by after work tonight. Beyond that game, none of the other games are really making me want to spend money to play them.

Waiting for LAIR, flOw, VF5, and GT5 right now...and maybe Syphon Filter for the PSP.

I have to say the Wii is the must buy electronic toy this year. It appeals to practically everyone but the graphics nuts(PS3). Most importantly the hot/cute/non gamer girl crowd. :D (see X-mas parties reference above). Problem is it's cheap(er) and and it's X-mas time plus I ain't lining up overnight to get a bloody game console.