The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

Yeah. But all auction sites should just ban the issue, people that don't need the system will stop buying it for profits, make everyone else happy.

I swear this is like WoW chinese farmers all over again, well kind of. Blizzard can stop chinese farming anytime, they have the power, but they don't want to since they know they would lose money. Nearly the same exact issue with this. Greed will enslave us all, and I know it.

I don't see any problem here. You keep on saying that there are people that want the system so they can play it instead of the people that want the system only for profit. But did you stop and think about where those system is going to ended up at the end? It's still going to end up in a home where someone wants it bad enough to place the price for it.

If they really need the system that bad then they should think of a way to get it, if you want it you will have to work for it. may it be getting in line 1 day head of time, looking up news on preorders, camping out for days , or just buy it from whoever has it. You either do the extra work or pay the extra cash. When the demand is high and the supply is low, whoever wants it more will get it.

If someone is willing to pay $2200 for a PS3 then obviously they want the system more then a person that's only willing to pay $550.

if they can and are willing to spend their money on the auctions then let them.

I know I'm not going to. All that really matters is each persons choice.

I'm happy waiting for a second or third shipment date. I'm in no rush. :)

IIRC, nearly every place taking Wii/PS3 pre-orders, pretty clearly states that a pre-order merely guarantees a system AT SOME POINT, not a launch-day one. Being #1 on the list, you should EXPECT to get one on launch day, but even that's not for sure. #12? Could be launch day, could be the next week, or next month.

No different than 360 pre-orders were---they were hard to find for months, but the people who pre-ordered yet still didn't get them on launch day usually got them within 4-6 weeks of launch, vs the people who didn't pre-order and might hunt for months before finding one.

IIRC, nearly every place taking Wii/PS3 pre-orders, pretty clearly states that a pre-order merely guarantees a system AT SOME POINT, not a launch-day one. Being #1 on the list, you should EXPECT to get one on launch day, but even that's not for sure. #12? Could be launch day, could be the next week, or next month.

No different than 360 pre-orders were---they were hard to find for months, but the people who pre-ordered yet still didn't get them on launch day usually got them within 4-6 weeks of launch, vs the people who didn't pre-order and might hunt for months before finding one.

Correct. Only way people should be grumbling is if they seem to have gotten 'bumped' from preorder lists or such like certain TRU stores (one store in NV opened on the Sunday they were taking pre-orders and claimed that they were sold out...before anyone got in the store). Some other horror stories are some GS and EB games where people on reservation lists were called asked by employees that they should take a lower pre-order number because some special kid/sick/dying child wanted it and their store was part of the make a wish thing...simply amazing. Not sure if that one's true but I wouldn't put it past some store employees.

Edited by Gaijin

If you so dare to dream the crazy insane price of having it all at once:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5303666

Walmart online bundle:

PS3 Console

Extra SIXAXIS

Mem Card Adapter

12 PS3 Games (choose from list)

2 Blu-ray movies (choose from list...some add to bundle price)

Madness

Edited by Gaijin

If you so dare to dream the crazy insane price of having it all at once:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5303666

Walmart online bundle:

PS3 Console

Extra SIXAXIS

Mem Card Adapter

12 PS3 Games (choose from list)

2 Blu-ray movies (choose from list...some add to bundle price)

Madness

I see it has already sold out.

After the early adaptors and technophiles get their fill of this system, it will be interesting to see how well the PS3 does during the next 12 months. Using the $300 benchmark of the PS1 in 1995 dollars, the PS3 (60GB) would have been worth like $450+; when the Saturn was launched at $399, it pretty much sold out to hard core gamers and early adaptors, but it eventually went down in flames with the system pretty much dying out just 3 years later. To those thinking of getting a Blu-Ray movie player (including the PS3) or an HD-DVD movie player, I hope it gets through enough people's skulls that it's not worth it unless you have an HD television to show the image on.

Just a few more days until all the fun and excitement begins! :D

you'd have to be a complete idiot to buy an HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray movies for your PS3 if you don't have an HDTV.... :blink:

Well, guess what: They exist.

I'm gonna hold off on a PS3. It's too expensive, and I don't have a HDTV to connect it to. Besides, there's nothing I want to play on it.

Well, guess what: They exist.

I'm gonna hold off on a PS3. It's too expensive, and I don't have a HDTV to connect it to. Besides, there's nothing I want to play on it.

that does't make any sense... why pay $40 for a movie that won't look any different than a $15 DVD? :blink:

and as far as the PS3 is concerned my sentiments exactly. and I actually have an HDTV :p

I was looking at some screenshots of the big "killer app" Resistance: Fall of Man and I couldn't even get excited about that one. it just has a really boring looking art style.. nothing interesting to look at like Gears of War.

and God knows the DullShock is crap for FPS's.

after looking at lots and lots of PS3 game screen shots I'm getting the same impression I got of the PS2- drab.

nothing really exciting or appealing that jumps out and grabs me. the only thing that look half-way decent is Lair.

Edited by Poonman

For those that care:

http://hdgames.net/

One of the site out there that'll let you know how HD games are. Helpful because I think you have to activate some on your own, but it's not at obvious that these features exist on some games than others.

thats pretty cool... and I think its mostly PS2 and maybe some Gamecube games you have to "activate" to get into HD mode... something about holding down the triangle button when you boot up the console or something.

all the newer games like the ones on the 360 already to go into 1080i, 720p whatever after you've set your console to whatever resolution you want it to display in. mines at 720p because it seemed to look the best over 1080i and I don't have a 1080p TV (not many do),

I see it has already sold out.

Actually, it hasn't gone "live" yet. 1200 AM 17th supposedly...could be earlier. Same thing happened with Wii $700 bundle; no direct links to the page until it was actually up for ordering and said out of stock until it was active.

EDIT: It seems to be live...right...now :wacko:

Edited by Gaijin

Actually, it hasn't gone "live" yet. 1200 AM 17th supposedly...could be earlier. Same thing happened with Wii $700 bundle; no direct links to the page until it was actually up for ordering and said out of stock until it was active.

EDIT: It seems to be live...right...now :wacko:

The link still works, but if I do a search on Walmart's search engine, it doesn't bring up the PS3 system or PS3 bundles.

And in other news...

Only 150,000 to 200,000 PS3's available for US launch??? Since the whole "North American" launch is suppose to be 400,000, I don't know how many PS3's were suppose to have been allocated to the US, Canada, or anywhere else come this Friday. But with the recent announcement of Gamestop/EB saying that they were unable to fullfill all their preorders and were even asking employees to pass on getting their systems for now, I am going to have to say that 400,000 is probably not going to be the case this Friday or weekend. For about a week or so, some companies like EA have been projecting that only 500,000 - 800,000 PS3's will hit North America by the end of the year (again don't know what the break down per country will be).

Edited by Apollo Leader

The link still works, but if I do a search on Walmart's search engine, it doesn't bring up the PS3 system or PS3 bundles.

You won't find it on the search engine..link was sent out to people who signed up for it through email way back. I got it this morning.

Don't know if anybody saw this yet or even posted it yet, but check out this insane ebay listing!

PS3 AUCTION

infrigginsane! :blink::huh:

But i'm sure it's another case of shill bidding. <_<

I was thinking it was another example of stupidity. Three months from now, when I walk into my local Target and pick up a PS3 at regular price and maybe some chicken noodle soup, I'll think about this auction and laugh.

Lol, of course I'm one of the nutjobs that slept on cold concrete last year to get a '360, so...

Edited by myk

Lol, of course I'm one of the nutjobs that slept on cold concrete last year to get a '360, so...

That's nuts. I wouldn't stand outside that long for anything. Hard core.

Edited by Gaijin

I am in Chattanooga Tennessee, not a giant city, but not the smallest city on earth either. Anyhow, there are a half a dozen guys from Michigan camped out outside our Circuit City store here all of them waiting to get a PS3 for resale, they were interviewed yesterday in their lawn chairs outside the store they all talked about the chance for profit being worth their time on the street.

I just can't imagine what these people paying exhorbitant prices for these systems are thinking. Like MYK said in his post, I am going to wait couple months (Not like the game library available is going to chage drastically anyhow) and pick one up at shelf price, and not be forced to buy a bundle with a bunch of crap i don't need or want with it. People just seem to go bonkers around release dates, this isn't a limited edition collectable. Oh well, fools and their money........

The number of PS3's for Taiwan's launch for Friday has been announced.

Drum roll please...

500 whopping units. :huh: If that guy from Japan who bought 100 PS3's pays a visit to Taiwan this week, he may stand a chance of buying every system in that one country. ^_^ Obviously, a very token launch (for Taiwan) and a waste in my book.

500? wow, that's like nothing.

about 37 hours before I pick mine up. I really should get it when Gamestop opens, but that's like an extra hour of driving. The k9 guy and I are planning on taking our break at 3pm and picking it up then. doubt anyone would try to rob us since we're in uniform :lol: maybe we should bring shotguns and rifles with us...

what games should I get??? i know i'm getting Resistence and Gundam.

now i guess i gotta get some HDMI cables for this thing.

500? wow, that's like nothing.

about 37 hours before I pick mine up. I really should get it when Gamestop opens, but that's like an extra hour of driving. The k9 guy and I are planning on taking our break at 3pm and picking it up then. doubt anyone would try to rob us since we're in uniform :lol: maybe we should bring shotguns and rifles with us...

what games should I get??? i know i'm getting Resistence and Gundam.

now i guess i gotta get some HDMI cables for this thing.

HDMI cables from www.monoprice.com

Excellent quality at a very low price. I have bought over a dozen of them in various lengths and sizes. All are top notch.

Personally I am ppicking up Resistance, Ridge Racer 7, and Marvel UA. Everything else I have on my Q at Gamefly of which Gundam and Call of Duty 3 are on the way :)

Edited by Gaijin

I had my feel with Resistance and I am very puzzle about the all the reviews raving about the visual :blink: ;;

The good stuff first, the controls feels great, smooth and precise. getting into tanks and blowing up enemies was fun. it has some physics on the objects (not environments)

The bad: the graphic looks like if it was a PS2 game that had smore extra ram in the system. the textures are really plan, barley any bump mapping, most of the shadow of the enviroments are "baked" into the textures. I didn't see any real time lighting effects (i.e character's shadows, player's character's shadow), there's flash light you can turn on and off, but that's as far as I went with the game.

I bet the game will get better later on with teh crazy weapons and enemies, but the first levels not doing anything for me (mind you I am spoil by Gears). again, I don't understand why alot of the reviewers are raving about the grpahics on this game @_@;;

You do not want to put GOW and R:FOM side by side comparison like how PSM did, it just makes R:FOM looks even worse.

if I had paid $700 bucks for this, I would have wanted my money back! :p

If there's one thing I've learned being alive for 27 years... it's that launches always suck. I no longer care about getting a PS3 immediately. I just recently bought my 360, right before Gears came out; as far as I know, it's the only reason to own a 360. And look how long it took for it to come out. I don't expect to see anything extremely impressive from PS3 until Metal Gear releases, whenever that is. My newest issue of PSM magazine is freaking joke. Seriously, it's got advertisements for games coming out next Fall. The only thing worth my time from playstation right now, is on system #2.

500 whopping units. :huh: If that guy from Japan who bought 100 PS3's pays a visit to Taiwan this week, he may stand a chance of buying every system in that one country. ^_^ Obviously, a very token launch (for Taiwan) and a waste in my book.

Not really... as the man on the ground, I'd say launching more might be a waste. 1) MMORPGs are all the rage here... consoles don't have the glamour they have in other countries. 2) Nobody here is really excited about the PS3. 3) The local culture won't buy into the PS3 until they can buy it chipped and modded. I'm the only person in my company that has a vanilla PS2.

If there's one thing I've learned being alive for 27 years... it's that launches always suck. I no longer care about getting a PS3 immediately. I just recently bought my 360, right before Gears came out; as far as I know, it's the only reason to own a 360. And look how long it took for it to come out. I don't expect to see anything extremely impressive from PS3 until Metal Gear releases, whenever that is. My newest issue of PSM magazine is freaking joke. Seriously, it's got advertisements for games coming out next Fall. The only thing worth my time from playstation right now, is on system #2.

This is actually only the second time in history that I've purchased a console at the US launch (Sega CD add on was the other)...everything else I waited for awhile. I had Saturn and Dreamcast imported a couple months after launch in Japan but that was it.

PS1...nope...PS2...Xbox, PSP, 360, DS nada.

I'd prob wait this launch out too...but I plan using the BD player for awhile anyways so it's a no brainer in my case.