The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

Now THIS is a great commercial for the Wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnxEnoosh4Q

No it just fails hard like the Sony commericals. I don't see why they can't manage to SHOW any of their brilliant games for their awesome system. Good move marketing. :rolleyes:

Yet I love the Wii commericals. I like how they some anyone acting goofy playing it and show what the games actually look like on screen and how they're played.

two things to consider:

1) you're compairing full screen ps2 and wii pics with a 4 player split screen.

2) wii isn't so much about visuals, maybe the game is still tons of fun!!

there is way more to games than graphics, especially when it's a racing game.

given that, the ubisoft racer looks pretty rough.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-91...mp;q=PS3+vs+Wii

(I know its old, but funny anyways.)

Well the fact that we won't get it till Mid-January is a pain. Oh well, getting the Wii first is a whole lot better.

Doesn't matter to me considering I'll be WITHOUT my Wii for the next two to three weeks.

I just got a Wii console memory is corrupted message after exiting Wii Sports.

I'll have to send it back to Nintendo for repairs.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Well. I contacted Nintendo about my Wii getting a corrupted memory message. Their customer service was very helpful by shipping me a replacement Wii while they fix my messed up one. Free of charge.

In related news the Wii is doing quite well.

REDMOND, Wash., Dec. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- For video gamers, it was the month that was -- November 2006, the first time all three new home systems would be available to consumers, along with three established portable game devices.

It was a month that belonged to Nintendo.

According to independent sales data from the NPD Group, Nintendo sold 55 percent of all video game systems in November, led by the launch of the Wii home system and the incredible continuing success of the Nintendo DS portable.

In only the first seven days of availability after its Nov. 19 launch, Wii sold nearly half a million systems in the United States alone (as reported previously by Nintendo, total sales of Wii in the Americas reached 600,000 in its first eight days of availability). Despite spot shortages in some locations, well more than a million Wii systems will be available in the United States by the end of the year.

While Wii sold through at a rate of more than 70,000 a day for the seven days represented in the data (substantially higher than any other game device), November's two top sellers of any type were the Nintendo DS, at almost 920,000 units, and Game Boy® Advance, with nearly 642,000 portables sold. With Wii and Nintendo GameCube totals included, Nintendo sold through more than 2.1 million of the 3.9 million systems purchased for the month.

The data also reveals that the Wii title The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess achieved sales of 412,000, representing 87 percent of all Wii purchasers, the highest industry rate of sale for any launch title since introduction of Super Mario® 64 with the Nintendo® 64 a decade ago.

In addition, despite the inclusion of Wii Sports software with every system sale, Wii buyers also purchased an average of two additional games, compared to approximately one game per system for the installed bases of either competing new home system.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061207/lath091.html?.v=70

After a couple weeks...I'm not so sure this thing has the staying power to last this generation. Sure it's cheap compared to the other two, and the controller is a unique way to play certain types of games but, I just don't see it becoming the mainstream in this industry past a year or so.

Zelda is Zelda...no doubt there. But I honestly don't see anything in the pipeline that has me excited. True, graphics don't make up for gameplay but they do help and since when does it hurt to have both? ie: Gears of War/Motorstorm etc.

As good as Zelda is...I honestly don't think the experience would be significantly different without the Wiimote (It shouldn't really as it was a GC game). There were times when I wish I was using a regular controller and times when the Wiimote shines (pointing at things mainly).

Still has potential but the novelty of swinging a remote around is losing it's appeal for me.

I gotta disagree in a big way. I've had more fun with the Wii than I have with any console in a long time. My interest in home consoles had faded a lot over the PS2/GC/Xbox generation, but now I'm playing more than I have since FF9's ending credits rolled on the PS1.

Entirely related, I'm also having lots of guests over far more often. Raving Rabids and Wii Sports are the most played games so far, but once I kick everyone out it's Zelda all the way.

The big title I'm looking forward to is No More Heroes, if the gameplay is looking good as more information comes out. We'll probably also grab Wario Ware and Wii Play when they come out.

As good as Zelda is...I honestly don't think the experience would be significantly different without the Wiimote (It shouldn't really as it was a GC game). There were times when I wish I was using a regular controller and times when the Wiimote shines (pointing at things mainly).

Still has potential but the novelty of swinging a remote around is losing it's appeal for me.

Dude no offense but you got no respect for the developer's work. It took them a year to perfect the Wiimote controls, I find it that people are too lazy to get up and actually enjoy a game. Swing the sword as Link to kick a bosses $@# has never been any funner, this has been the most entertaining system I have played around with.

Go play with your PS3 or something.... <_<

(Not trying to piss you off, just stating what I had to say.)

Dude no offense but you got no respect for the developer's work. It took them a year to perfect the Wiimote controls, I find it that people are too lazy to get up and actually enjoy a game. Swing the sword as Link to kick a bosses $@# has never been any funner, this has been the most entertaining system I have played around with.

Nintendo gets all the respect they need when they make tons of money.

Umm...right kid. I get up more than enough times outside of games...I don't find it tiring to swing around a control...I find it a bit repetitive and non satistfactory in Zelda. Tiring is my workouts...that has nothing to do with it. Lazy to play a game? You think swinging a Wiimote around is exercise or something?

I have respect for the game itself...but the Wiimote doesn't add anything to it for me. Swinging it around only equates an equivalent of a button press...doesn't dictate how you swing in the game, etc. The pointing is the only thing that is more natural. The Wiimote has been used better in other games...Zelda isn't one of those that "shows off the controller" and I stand by that one.

err..yeah....Let's hold off a year on our "completed" zelda game and tried to shove and camoflouge this new control scheme into the game which was NEVER designed to have in the first place. :blink: ;; Even Nintendo Power admitted that it was a second thought.

Currently I have no problems with wii-mote with on the game, but you can tell the difference when the game is designed from the ground up with that controller in mind.

Here's my question, why did nintendo delay the release of GC version after the Wii version instead of releasing it at the same time? if it's so much fun/difference with the wii-mote, then they shouldn't have no problem selling both versions out.

Now Nintendo is making it even harder to get the GC version, why is that?

err..yeah....Let's hold off a year on our "completed" zelda game and tried to shove and camoflouge this new control scheme into the game which was NEVER designed to have in the first place. :blink: ;; Even Nintendo Power admitted that it was a second thought.

Currently I have no problems with wii-mote with on the game, but you can tell the difference when the game is designed from the ground up with that controller in mind.

Here's my question, why did nintendo delay the release of GC version after the Wii version instead of releasing it at the same time? if it's so much fun/difference with the wii-mote, then they shouldn't have no problem selling both versions out.

Now Nintendo is making it even harder to get the GC version, why is that?

New consoles sell better with new games. Nobody would have been so excited about Zelda if it was only a remake with Wii remote controll.

New consoles sell better with new games. Nobody would have been so excited about Zelda if it was only a remake with Wii remote controll.

But it is. I'm not knocking that it is indeed a great game...but is IS the Gamecube game that was promised for years..on a new console...fine if you bought a Wii...a slap in the face to Cube owners by not making it available widespread.

Seems like the Gamecube was silently laid to rest, just like the XBox was last year...least the PS2 has a few years left..

Edited by Gaijin

The PS2 also has such market presence that it only makes sense to keep throwing games at it for a while. It will be a long time before there are as many PS3's in as many homes as the PS2 currently enjoys.

To a lesser extent the same is true of the Xbox and Gamecube, but Nintendo and Microsoft need to gain ground this generation. They want people buying their new consoles.

Developers are well aware of the situation, too. They realize PS2 games will be profitable for a while yet, if not as profitable as they were before.

The NES and SNES both lasted a respectable amount of time past their generation for much the same reasons.

Well.....I had a case of badluck again yesterday, I got a tip that in the afternoon a gamestop store was gonna get the wii's in stock, so I was gonna have my mother go, no way I could do it with an hour lunch and the place being an hour away ya know?

As it turned out they got them in the morning and sold out rather quickly.

If nintendo is planning on releasing a million units before the end of the year, then I can wait till the holidays are done and pick it up then.....no use waisting me time.

Oh how annoying...

Wii-mote" trigger prompts lawsuit

The complaint alleges that the trigger on the bottom of the Wii controller infringes on Interlink Patent No. 6,850,221 (Trigger Operated Electronic Device), which the company secured on February 1, 2005. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata first presented the Wii controller to the public not too long after that date, during the 2005 Tokyo Game Show.