The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

I'm gonna have to hold up till probably christmas before I can even get the Wii now......I just had my "weekend" and my boss calls me up lastnight saying "Your weekends just changed to sunday and monday and you'll be getting a new schedule" I think my hours just got cut.....-_- and seeing how my payperiod this month is shorter then the others, I'm really gonna loose hours.

Aren't you working retail? With the upcoming holidays you'll end up getting more hours unless your supervisor's an idiot...

Sigh. Enjoy it while it lasts, kid...

What enjoyment? :huh:

One of the cruelest lie ever told to me during my teen years in highschool, "These are the best days of your life." I'm looking forward to staying up all night playing Twilight Princess on my HDTV, in my own apartment, until my hot wife wrests the controller from me so she can play.

Well at least you don't benefit in having a HDTV. :lol:

I'm stuck on a lousy fat 20' flat screen TV in my room. Damnit I want the full experience, I can move my Wii to the 52' Non-HD TV, but thats no good since I have to move it back to my room when my dad is home.

One of the cruelest lie ever told to me during my teen years in highschool, "These are the best days of your life."

Explains my first reply, but damn it sucks to be a high school Junior with all this homework thrown at you and parents expecting As when your Chemistry teacher is a mean b!#$. (No more cursing? :( )

Oh well back to topic, I went with my mom today to try the Wii since she had driver's license. Played Excite Truck, and I must say, the controllers their are not taken care of well or its me, since the sensor was completly blocked it didn't respond to half my movements. Well at least its impressive, just seeing how such a small machine can pack so much power really impresses me. Now to just wait for launch day...

By any chance what time do you guys recommend I camp the Saturday before launch day? I really need to know so I don't waste my whole day.

Edited by Ishimaru

Aren't you working retail? With the upcoming holidays you'll end up getting more hours unless your supervisor's an idiot...

Nope quit fry's 4 months ago...and even if I was still working there Employees aren't allowed to buy hot products like the PS3 or Wii till the third month after its release so the craze fades out.

But they cut my hours back at where I'm working at now due to loss of car sales...3 of the 4 of us got affected by it, the other is the bosses daughter, no one wants to mess with her or else she'll tattle tail or something....she's a real lazy person.

What enjoyment? :huh:

Well at least you don't benefit in having a HDTV. :lol:

That so? 480p widescreen anyone? A nice big widescreen image with no black bars. Not to mention the use I get out of it when not playing videogames.

Being a young adult owns the pants off being a teen.

Depends on who you are, I imagine. For me, the day my parents dropped me off at college was the beginning of the best days of my life. They're still going, as near as I can tell.

Depends on who you are, I imagine. For me, the day my parents dropped me off at college was the beginning of the best days of my life. They're still going, as near as I can tell.

Well how hard was it to even manage your own money?

Oh well, we should get back to topic I'm losing interest here.

I called Best Buy and Target and asked how many shipments they are going to take and I got the same responses that they can't reveal that information....WTF? And the electronic section at Wal-Mart didn't even pickup my call.

Is it because I'm in City of Industry? I need to know when to camp, I need some help guys, I dont want to camp too early or too late, so I need some advice.

Edited by Ishimaru

Hey guys,

This should help: Here's a site that will tell you the amount / allocation of wii's in the US on Launch Morning. Just pick a Target near you with sufficient supply and go there a few hours before 6AM. And, this is all legit - its Target's actual confirmed allocations

Target's Wii Inventory locator (with Google Maps)

There'll be plenty of Wii's to go around, just make sure you get there early.

As for me, I might go for the hell of it. I just got lucky this morning and got a Wii preorder from ToysRus =)

Edited by Valkyrie23

I finally made my mind up over the last weekend to screw waiting and get one at launch!

Tried to pre-order this evening after work but they (Game-UK) had stopped taking deposits for now, registered my interest for when they resume and I was 8th or 9th on the list.

Just gonna have to wait and see now, 24 days to go over here. :D

Hey guys,

This should help: Here's a site that will tell you the amount / allocation of wii's in the US on Launch Morning. Just pick a Target near you with sufficient supply and go there a few hours before 6AM. And, this is all legit - its Target's actual confirmed allocations

Target's Wii Inventory locator (with Google Maps)

There'll be plenty of Wii's to go around, just make sure you get there early.

As for me, I might go for the hell of it. I just got lucky this morning and got a Wii preorder from ToysRus =)

Any idea if most of those are already preordered?

I'd hate to go there and find out fifty out of the sixty are already taken through preorders.

Any idea if most of those are already preordered?

I'd hate to go there and find out fifty out of the sixty are already taken through preorders.

Uhh dude they don't take preorders :blink: ...those are the amount of systems they are going to have on launch day ready to sell.

If they did then they would be loooong gone. It seems the information is accurate as the numbers are the same as PS3seeker.com

So camping is a recommendation on Saturday, Friday would be a waste of time if you camped then.

Edited by Ishimaru

Depending on your area, it will be hard/not hard to get. In my area, most stores are getting b/t 30-50 and some are getting 120. If you're in the bay area (California), Daily City is the place to be - 120 units at both targets 5 min apart.

I'm just gonna go about a few hours before opening to pick one up as a gift. Of course, after PS3's launch, a lot of bummed/burned people might be hunting for Wii's, haha

Good luck to you guys.

Anyone going to the Daly City target to wait for the Wii? :)

Depending on your area, it will be hard/not hard to get. In my area, most stores are getting b/t 30-50 and some are getting 120. If you're in the bay area (California), Daily City is the place to be - 120 units at both targets 5 min apart.

I'm just gonna go about a few hours before opening to pick one up as a gift. Of course, after PS3's launch, a lot of bummed/burned people might be hunting for Wii's, haha

Good luck to you guys.

I thought Nintendo was positioning their console as a pure gaming machine and decided to ditch DVD playback cos 'it had nothing to do with gaming', then comes this piece of news:

http://www.sonic.com/about/press/news/2006/11/nintendo.aspx

Nintendo Selects Sonic to Enable DVD Functionality in Future Version of Wii Console

Sonic CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator Helps Deliver Ultimate Movie Viewing to New-Generation Gaming Console

NOVATO, California (November 8, 2006) - Sonic Solutions® (NASDAQ: SNIC), the leader in digital media software, today announced that Nintendo, the worldwide innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, has chosen Sonic® CinePlayer® CE DVD Navigator to bring high-quality DVD movie viewing to a future version of the company's Wii™ gaming console. Nintendo plans to release this version of Wii in the latter half of 2007.

Based on the same technology trusted by Hollywood studios, CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator is a robust, software-based DVD playback engine that delivers broad playback compatibility on a variety of platforms. The proven technology offers exceptional picture quality and supports all standard video and audio formats offered in the DVD specification, as well as advanced functions such as anamorphic widescreen video, motion menus, and multiple video angles. "To be involved in Nintendo’s ground-breaking gaming console is extremely gratifying and a testament to the efficiency, flexibility and dependability of Sonic's technology," said Jim Taylor, senior vice president and general manager of Sonic's Advanced Technology Group. "Game consoles represent a fresh market and platform where we can introduce a new audience of potentially millions to the quality of our brand and the power of our digital media applications."

According to a recent report by new media research firm Centris (http://www.centris.com/index.htm), DVD playback device penetration continues to grow. The total number of DVD playback-capable households grew to 91 million in April 2006, which represents an 8% increase over the previous year. Adding to this figure was an increase in DVD-enabled game units which grew 11% year over year to approximately 45 million.

Created by Sonic's Advanced Technology Group, CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator is part of the company’s growing portfolio of technologies that are being licensed to enable CD and DVD playback, as well as DVD recording and authoring. Sonic’s technologies are licensed by leading technology companies such as Adobe, Microsoft, and Scientific Atlanta and used to enable digital media experiences in a wide variety of markets including consumer electronics, PCs, kiosks, automotive entertainment systems, and music download services. In addition to standard-DVD, Sonic recently introduced comprehensive support for emerging high-definition formats, Blu-Ray Disc (BD) and HD DVD.

For more information on Sonic's technologies for application developers, visit: http://www.sonic.com/products/Developer/Au.../quicklook.aspx.

About Sonic Solutions

Sonic Solutions (NASDAQ: SNIC; http://www.sonic.com) is the leader in digital media software, providing a broad range of interoperable, platform-independent software tools and applications for creative professionals, business and home users, and technology partners. Sonic's products range from advanced DVD authoring systems and interactive content delivery technologies used to produce the majority of Hollywood DVD film releases, to the award-winning Roxio®-branded CD and DVD creation, playback and backup solutions that have become the premier choice for consumers, prosumers and business users worldwide.

Sonic products are globally available from major retailers, online at Sonic.com and Roxio.com, and are bundled with PCs, after-market drives and consumer electronic devices. Sonic's digital media creation engine is the de facto standard and has been licensed by major software and hardware manufacturers, including Adobe, Microsoft, Scientific-Atlanta, Sony, and many others. Sonic Solutions is headquartered in Marin County, California.

Sonic, the Sonic logo, Sonic Solutions, and Roxio are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sonic Solutions in the United States and/or other countries. All other company or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

About Nintendo

The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video game systems. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company’s Web site at www.nintendo.com.

Is this the first time a console became obsolete before it even hit the shelves?!

Well it wouldn't hurt would it to add as a software addition to the Wii? I'm missing my DVD remote, damn can't play subtitles...

It isn't that simple. Wii with a DVD drive that doesn't play DVD videos pays no license fees for that feature to DVD forum (Another reason Wii is profitable out the gate).

It isn't that simple. Wii with a DVD drive that doesn't play DVD videos pays no license fees for that feature to DVD forum (Another reason Wii is profitable out the gate).

Can you rephrase that? Didn't get what you meant there...

Edited by Ishimaru

Can you rephrase that? Didn't get what you meant their...

A DVD player is licensed technology. Nintendo is saving money on the console by not having it play DVD's out of the box. To sell a DVD player requires licensing fees. You can still have a DVD drive that won't play DVD video discs. By leaving that feature out, they don't pay anything. Cheaper build cost.

Microsoft saved a boatload of cash by having the original XBox DVD remote pay the fees for them (unusable without that add on). With PS2, 360, PS3, etc...they give it to you "free".

Edited by Gaijin

Panasonic did it in the Gamecube version. But honestly it isn't that big of a difference between the 360 and PS3 versions.

Not sure I'm following what you are trying to say. The Q? It was a Panasonic DVD player licensed to play GC games and had styling similar to a Gamecube....

And what isn't a big difference in the 360 and PS3 versions? I 'm unsure as to what you are referring to.

Edited by Gaijin

Well it wouldn't hurt would it to add as a software addition to the Wii? I'm missing my DVD remote, damn can't play subtitles...

I hear that, my dvd remote broke about two years back. Most things are fine but the Ghost in the Shell discs drive me up the wall with their lack of a simple "play all" option. :rolleyes:

two things to consider:

1) you're compairing full screen ps2 and wii pics with a 4 player split screen.

2) wii isn't so much about visuals, maybe the game is still tons of fun!!

there is way more to games than graphics, especially when it's a racing game.

given that, the ubisoft racer looks pretty rough.

two things to consider:

1) you're compairing full screen ps2 and wii pics with a 4 player split screen.

2) wii isn't so much about visuals, maybe the game is still tons of fun!!

there is way more to games than graphics, especially when it's a racing game.

given that, the ubisoft racer looks pretty rough.

Here's a full screen shot:

It still looks awful...this isn't a knock against the Wii..it's against Ubisoft & this title particularly.

post-624-1163721374_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gaijin