The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

Ya thankfully the ebay market died a few weeks ago. I've seen some auctions for the 60gb end at around 625.00-650.00 If you factor in ebay fees and the possible paypal fees the seller probably lost money or broke even when inflating shipping costs. Screw the scalpers.

I still haven't seen a Wii's in any stores around around here though.

Bring a PC gamer, really, I am totally with you on that. Fact is, when these consoles come out, they are all taking a loss on every unit sold. When you get right down to it, Sony's problem is the price tag.

i completely agree; I wouldn't mind picking up an Xbox360 but after you finish with all of the add ons, you're basically paying the same price as a PS3.

I'm just waiting for Nintendo to start uploading their video game library with NES and SNES games that i used to play when i was a kid. Then i will definitely own it, and it will probably be my primary system.

I think Nintendo should have let their VC open region, so people every where could play games never released in their countries, like Konami`s Famicom/NES games that contains PCM sound chip and of course so many PC-Engine games.

Lets hope Nintendo/Konami/Hudson will make the PC-Engine CD Rom games downloadable.

Except for the Wii, and wow, check out all the positive press it is getting.

I think it's fun in certain ways. I don't think it will be the market leader by the end of this next gen. It will appear to be so in the first year or two...beyond that it will be between the other 2. To be honest, like the N64 and GC, the only really worthwhile titles will be Nintendo's first party stuff. Certain genres of games can be unique but the Wiimote doesn't handle everything well, and makes some more complicated than it should be.

Ya thankfully the ebay market died a few weeks ago. I've seen some auctions for the 60gb end at around 625.00-650.00 If you factor in ebay fees and the possible paypal fees the seller probably lost money or broke even when inflating shipping costs. Screw the scalpers.

I still haven't seen a Wii's in any stores around around here though.

With the scalpers' run on the PS3 coming to an end and Sony starting to catch up with production, the upcoming weeks and months will reveal how much of a real demand there is for the PS3 by gamers and the general public. The Premium Xbox 360 at $399 will probably prove to be the breaking point for most people (at least hardcore gamers) when it comes to game systems; adjusted for inflation, the $299 PS1 of 1995 would be worth about as much as the 360 is today.

Over the last week, I saw and could have purchased a PS3 at a fair number of stores I stopped in. I have yet to actually see a Wii that I could pick up and buy.

Er, what add-ons? You mean the HDDVD drive? You don't need that to play games...

to elaborate, if trying to bring it up to speed with the PS3, the HD DVD would push it over the edge, but even with a few extra controllers and the expanded harddrive (which would be a definite for me if i picked up an XBOX) you're still at a high price point.

2. To be honest, like the N64 and GC, the only really worthwhile titles will be Nintendo's first party stuff. Certain genres of games can be unique but the Wiimote doesn't handle everything well, and makes some more complicated than it should be.

The Wiimote has endless possibilities and versatile uses for games. I thought handling Zelda would be difficult but it's simpler, easy, and even more relaxing to use the Wiimote and Nunchuck combo than holding regular traditional controller in hand.

the Wiimote + Nunchuck is an excellent combo controller for any game that would use a traditional controller. Plus all the cool stuff you can do by moving the Wiimote around makes it more awesometastic... =]

Edited by kiririth

I think it's fun in certain ways. I don't think it will be the market leader by the end of this next gen. It will appear to be so in the first year or two...beyond that it will be between the other 2. To be honest, like the N64 and GC, the only really worthwhile titles will be Nintendo's first party stuff. Certain genres of games can be unique but the Wiimote doesn't handle everything well, and makes some more complicated than it should be.

This won't be like N64 or the GC, Nintendo completely revolutionized the way games should be played. It's different now, sales are going to keep on going up, and too many damn people want the system.

I don't get your "complications" with the Wii-mote, I think it's just no body here actually played something that required moving and so we have to get used to it.

With the scalpers' run on the PS3 coming to an end and Sony starting to catch up with production, the upcoming weeks and months will reveal how much of a real demand there is for the PS3 by gamers and the general public. The Premium Xbox 360 at $399 will probably prove to be the breaking point for most people (at least hardcore gamers) when it comes to game systems; adjusted for inflation, the $299 PS1 of 1995 would be worth about as much as the 360 is today.

Over the last week, I saw and could have purchased a PS3 at a fair number of stores I stopped in. I have yet to actually see a Wii that I could pick up and buy.

I was at Fry's today and they were in stock with the PS3s, I also saw a sign up the isle with a list of sold out products and Nintendo's name seems to be right next to everyone. Kind of makes me feel good that I planned the campout for the Wii at the local Target with a few friends or else they would have never gotten one themselves. Those 20 hours was one the greatest time of life :) , just hanging out with other gamers; playing the DS, I could never get over the moments, I would do it again if I didn't smell like BO when I came back. ^_^

to elaborate, if trying to bring it up to speed with the PS3, the HD DVD would push it over the edge, but even with a few extra controllers and the expanded harddrive (which would be a definite for me if i picked up an XBOX) you're still at a high price point.

But the 360 can do things the PS3 can't. Did you know the 360 has the early model DX9/10 hybrid ATI graphics chip never meant to be sold into regular graphic cards? Also that the fact that the external HDDVD drive can be used on your computer? And a whole list of other crap not worth mentioning.

If you were lucky you could have got one on Amazon for a quarter of the price on Black Friday, I think it was $100 if my memory was correct and sold out within minutes.

The 360 has it's uses, that is what gives it value, just take a look at GoW(Gears of War), it's just nobody sees it in the PS3....yet.

the Wiimote + Nunchuck is an excellent combo controller for any game that would use a traditional controller. Plus all the cool stuff you can do by moving the Wiimote around makes it more awesometastic... =]

Try playing street fighter with that configuration. I thought the next smash bro game needed the gamecube controller to play it

This won't be like N64 or the GC, Nintendo completely revolutionized the way games should be played. It's different now, sales are going to keep on going up, and too many damn people want the system.

I don't get your "complications" with the Wii-mote, I think it's just no body here actually played something that required moving and so we have to get used to it.

The better games on the Wii are simpler mini games. For traditional games, the Wiimote just doesn't do it. It has nothingto do with getting used to waving instead of pressing a button or stick. It has to do with which makes more sense. With certain types of games the Wii mote excels. With others, it's no better than, or even worse than traditional control.

While Zelda integrates it nicely enough (try the GC one and tell me if you think anything is lost...it's no different really, unless you are so amazed at swinging to play), other traditional games haven't and if only Nintendo gets it right than yes, it's the same as the GC and N64.

And 'the way games should' be played? I highly doubt that one. The Wiimote is impressive at certain things...like mentioned, for other games it would not be. It excels at simpler games.

Edited by Gaijin

Sony did the same thing with PS2 (taking a loss) and made up the overhead in video games, unfortunately they don't have any good games for the PS3 and coupled with the crippling initial costs of the system itself, it doesn't look good for them in the long run. As a parent, there is no way i would spend 600 bucks on a gaming system for my child (or myself) and then another 60+ a pop per game; for that much i would just build myself a new computer.

You'd be supprised at how much parents will blow to put a smile on their brats, even to just shut them up. (I unfortunately was never in that category... :( ) And like someone else said, systems recently have sold their systems without anything special out on it initially. What was PS2's (or 3's for that matter...) killer release game? Or the X-boxes? I can only remember the Nintendo ones because they were all Mario games. It's a shame that they only seem to want to make one Mario platform game noadays, at the lauch time period, because they used to be pretty fun. And what's it for Wii? People really like the Sports set, but I don't hear that as the reason anyone's buying it. Zelda? This is the first time Ninendo has had Zelda at launch interestingly. I haven't heard of anyone I know of whom really wants that bad though.

It seems like the "killer" games come our a year or so after the system release. Someone was talking about Nintendo makes their own - who cares? You still want the game. PS1 had Resident Evil, PS2 had Grand Theft Auto(when it became a more free-roming killing spree), X-Box had Halo, GC and N64 are a little harder to call, mainly their multiplayer games in general were big hits (they also had gained the RE series).

I think Nintendo should have let their VC open region, so people every where could play games never released in their countries, like Konami`s Famicom/NES games that contains PCM sound chip and of course so many PC-Engine games.

Lets hope Nintendo/Konami/Hudson will make the PC-Engine CD Rom games downloadable.

Yeah and I'm kind of hoping for a Terranigma release. (maybe PC-E macross???) But it's left up to whomever owns the game and wants to code it for Wii.

The Wiimote has endless possibilities and versatile....
Nintendo completely revolutionized

Again nice buzz words, but there's been alot of new gadgets that have come along that are supposed to make vg's so great to play, but it takes time, more than a couple of months, to see what game developers will do with it, and to see if people playing games are willing to actually movewhile playing them for awhile. Stuff like the DS's touch screen can be good because they give the player alot more precision over what's happening on one screen, but there are a number of times the function is added on in an uncomfortable way that comes off as gimicy and takes away from the fun of it instead of being something special you could only do on the DS. It took about a year for game like Gears of War to come to the 360 that people really like, I'd say give the systems another Christmas season to see how well they'll hold up. The DS shows that there's a strong possibility for something new.

Of course, if they come out with a RE4-type Resident Evil sequel with that shotgun add-on IGN came up with, yeah I'd see that as being a dealsealer for the Wii. :D

The better games on the Wii are simpler mini games. For traditional games, the Wiimote just doesn't do it. It has nothingto do with getting used to waving instead of pressing a button or stick. It has to do with which makes more sense. With certain types of games the Wii mote excels. With others, it's no better than, or even worse than traditional control.

While Zelda integrates it nicely enough (try the GC one and tell me if you think anything is lost...it's no different really, unless you are so amazed at swinging to play), other traditional games haven't and if only Nintendo gets it right than yes, it's the same as the GC and N64.

And 'the way games should' be played? I highly doubt that one. The Wiimote is impressive at certain things...like mentioned, for other games it would not be. It excels at simpler games.

I think nintendo covered it's bases for the traditional players with the Classic Controller.... I know right now it's only compatible with the VC, or at least i think so, but it's traditional controller design will let Wii players jump straight into more complicated controlled games. Instead of plugging in a Nunchuck, plug in a Classic controller and play Street Fighter II!! (i already downloaded it... haha.. wish it was the turbo edition)

Hopefully, they will start incorporating the classic controller into newer games, but i love using the Wiimote and nunchuck. Sometimes the most simple controlled games are the best. In Twilight Princess, Link has a variety of moves using the Wiimote and actually takes a bit of skill to get the hang of and control. It's a whole new generation of play for FPS games on consoles as you can move and point and shoot with the Wiimote.

I heard about the demo of the new Metroid game on the Wii and can totally imagine the awesome gameplay features.... I love Nintendo's innovation of new gaming... i loved the DS with its innovative Touch Screen.... The Wii does it for me like no other console i've owned, especially since it's 100% backwards compatible.... I've never been a more satisfied gamer than i am playing Zelda on my Wii..... =]

Just because the wiimote and nunchuck can control a game moderately well, doesn't man it should. There's no reason to play for instance a strategy game, when a regular controller will suffice just as well. For that matter, shooters (the 2D kind... and probably FPS' as well) would actually be nearly ruined with such a configuration. No way in he'll i'd touch a bullet hell game like Shikigami II wthout anything but a solid d-pad.

For that matter, potential for innovation and actual innovation are a different thing. Anyone can say how many possibilities the Wii holds, but until developers start delivering those possibilities it won't mean much.

You'd be supprised at how much parents will blow to put a smile on their brats, even to just shut them up.

Quoted for truth! I'd noticed a growing trend of parents buying two of each system (2 PS2's, 2 DS's, etc), so I decided to ask while ringing up their sales. The answer is always "so my kids won't have to fight over who gets to play." Way to go teaching your kids about patience and sharing. More importantly, it now seems parents will gladly pay a premium just to get kids their kids out of their hair. One has to wonder what the long term consequences will be.

I agree with yellowlightman's comment that the wii-mote not being good for *everything*. Guilty Gear or any fighting game which require's millisecond timing to pull off large combos will be unplayable on the wii-mote. The classic pad or GC controller will be a must. Speaking of which, does anyone actually have the classic pad? I took a look at a used one at my store and the cord was barely 4 feet long. Is it supposed to connect to the wii-mote or the system? If it goes to the system, I guess no one told Nintendo that Americans don't have 6 x 6 family rooms like they do in Japan. :lol:

Quoted for truth! I'd noticed a growing trend of parents buying two of each system (2 PS2's, 2 DS's, etc), so I decided to ask while ringing up their sales. The answer is always "so my kids won't have to fight over who gets to play." Way to go teaching your kids about patience and sharing. More importantly, it now seems parents will gladly pay a premium just to get kids their kids out of their hair. One has to wonder what the long term consequences will be.

I agree with yellowlightman's comment that the wii-mote not being good for *everything*. Guilty Gear or any fighting game which require's millisecond timing to pull off large combos will be unplayable on the wii-mote. The classic pad or GC controller will be a must. Speaking of which, does anyone actually have the classic pad? I took a look at a used one at my store and the cord was barely 4 feet long. Is it supposed to connect to the wii-mote or the system? If it goes to the system, I guess no one told Nintendo that Americans don't have 6 x 6 family rooms like they do in Japan. :lol:

It connects to the remote, so effectively it's wireless.

Speaking of which, does anyone actually have the classic pad? I took a look at a used one at my store and the cord was barely 4 feet long. Is it supposed to connect to the wii-mote or the system? If it goes to the system, I guess no one told Nintendo that Americans don't have 6 x 6 family rooms like they do in Japan. :lol:

Connects to the Wii-mote, which I don`t like <_<

Out of curiosity, what would be so bad about using the remote + nunchuck as a traditional controller (ie not using the motion detecting stuff)? I think it'd be much more comfortable, and you're not lacking for buttons and stuff.

Lack of buttons for one...for certain games, a button press would be better than a motion. The Wiimote has 2 you can access easily...the others are in no position to use in a quick action or fighting game. The Wiimote and nunchuck would be hell for traditional fighters and certain types of games. Simplicity is the Wii controller's strong point. It doesn't answer every genre nor should it. Don't make it out to be more than it is. It excels at some things..would be dismal for others. Otherwise, the classic controller would never have been invented.

Edited by Gaijin

Just because the wiimote and nunchuck can control a game moderately well, doesn't man it should. There's no reason to play for instance a strategy game, when a regular controller will suffice just as well. For that matter, shooters (the 2D kind... and probably FPS' as well) would actually be nearly ruined with such a configuration. No way in he'll i'd touch a bullet hell game like Shikigami II wthout anything but a solid d-pad.

Are you kidding??? I'm not a hugh FPS Fan but i can't wait for a good FPS game to come out on Wii to play with the Wiimote + Nunchuck. It's almost perfectly suited for shooters since the Nunchuck controls your regular movement like a D-Pad or Keyboard and the Wiimote points like a mouse....

as for 2D shooters.... i not quite sure what would be ruined, but i dont' know that many games like Shikigami you mentioned...

Are you kidding??? I'm not a hugh FPS Fan but i can't wait for a good FPS game to come out on Wii to play with the Wiimote + Nunchuck. It's almost perfectly suited for shooters since the Nunchuck controls your regular movement like a D-Pad or Keyboard and the Wiimote points like a mouse....

as for 2D shooters.... i not quite sure what would be ruined, but i dont' know that many games like Shikigami you mentioned...

In theory that's true; I thought that too...until everyone played Call of Duty 3, Far Cry, and Red Steel for Wii. It just doesn't work well...yet. They really need to work on the FPS thing on the Wii; it's not living up to the grand control scheme for FPS's.

In theory that's true; I thought that too...until everyone played Call of Duty 3, Far Cry, and Red Steel for Wii. It just doesn't work well...yet. They really need to work on the FPS thing on the Wii; it's not living up to the grand control scheme for FPS's.

haha.. i should shut my mouth until i've tried it huh.... I only get games i'm interested in, so i probably wouldn't be any FPS until the new Metroid comes out... and i know that's going to be Gold....

Maybe i should check out the current FPS's to see how it works...

Lack of buttons for one...for certain games, a button press would be better than a motion. The Wiimote has 2 you can access easily...the others are in no position to use in a quick action or fighting game. The Wiimote and nunchuck would be hell for traditional fighters and certain types of games. Simplicity is the Wii controller's strong point. It doesn't answer every genre nor should it. Don't make it out to be more than it is. It excels at some things..would be dismal for others. Otherwise, the classic controller would never have been invented.

I can buy that. I was just thinking that if I was stuck with a traditional controller, I probably wouldn't have spent half the time playing Zelda that I have been because my hands would be cramping up. Being able to keep both of my hands at my side while playing is very comfortable. I wonder why no one has tried a two-piece version of a traditional controller.

I can buy that. I was just thinking that if I was stuck with a traditional controller, I probably wouldn't have spent half the time playing Zelda that I have been because my hands would be cramping up. Being able to keep both of my hands at my side while playing is very comfortable. I wonder why no one has tried a two-piece version of a traditional controller.

There have been controllers that were like the nunhuck before actually...it's nothing totally new. ASCII made a one handed Playstation controller for RPG's and simpler games. I tried one at an import store many years ago..it was fairly comfortable and would be ideal for long RPG's and such that didn't require much input.

IPB Image

What happened to the GC ver. is still for a release or only for Japan as usual.

Are you asking about Zelda? It was released albeit in extremely limited suppply. They want you to buy a Wii version.

The idea of playing a like Halo 2 (where i have the thumbstick sensitivity set to the max) for hours at a time with a Wiimote sounds... painful. What I mean is that it simply wouldn't offer any benefit over using a pad (or a keyboard mouse blah blah), and in actuality would no doubt be worse.

FPS games on consoles are atrocious. I don't know how people can like a controller over a mouse. That's why I love the idea of the Wiimote so much. No more stupid sticks/d-pads.

Also, I don't see how a traditional controller would be better than a Wiimote for a strategy game. Are you saying that strategy games work well with normal controllers??? Pah! Give me a mouse anyday.

Edited by meh_cd