Newtype Magazine Poll For Top 100 Anime

kensei

Tsutaya x Newtype Best Anime 100

Tsutaya and Newtype magazine collaborated on a "Best Anime 100" poll, with votes taken from fans nationwide. The results for #100 through #11 were posted online, with the top 10 being printed in this month's issue of Newtype. The complete rankings:

1) Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny

2) Neon Genesis Evangelion

3) Full Metal Alchemist

4) Cowboy Bebop

5) One Piece

6) Kyo Kara Maou

7) Mobile Suit Gundam

8) Card Captor Sakura

9) Fate/stay night

10) Akira

11) Dragonball Z

12) The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya

13) Detective Conan

14) Martian Successor Nadesico

15) Castle In The Sky: Laputa

16) Ghost In The Shell

17) Soukyuu No Fafner

18) Saint Seiya

19) Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind

20) Hunter x Hunter

21) Keroro Gunsou

22) Bleach

23) Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro

24) Mobile Police Patlabor

25) Full Metal Panic

26) Initial D

27) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

28) Air

29) King Of Braves GaoGaiGar

30) Urusei Yatsura

31) Fist Of The North Star

32) Eureka 7

33) Konjiki No Gashbell (Zatch Bell)

34) Howl's Moving Castle

35) Pokemon

36) Naruto

37) Top Wo Nerae 2

38) .hack

39) RahXephon

40) Slayers

41) Lupin III

42) Future Boy Conan

43) Tenchi Muyo!

44) Yu Yu Hakusho

45) Ranma 1/2

46) Maria-sama Ga Miteru

47) New Mobile Report Gundam W

48) Scryed

49) Infinite Ryvius

50) Captain Tsubasa

51) Turn A Gundam

52) Nadia: Secret of Blue Water

53) Blood+

54) Ashita No Joe

55) The Prince Of Tennis

56) Futari Wa Precure: Max Heart

57) Space Runaway Ideon

58) Kiddy Grade

59) Super Dimensional Fortress Macross

60) Honey And Clover

61) Revolutionary Girl Utena

62) Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ

63) Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

64) Sailor Moon

65) Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team

66) Space Cruiser Yamato

67) Oh My Goddess!

68) Black Jack

69) Rozen Maiden

70) Duel Monsters

71) Galaxy Express 999

72) Mobile Suit V Gundam

73) Saiyuki

74) Aura Battler Dunbine

75) Doraemon

76) Onegai Teacher

77) After War Gundam X

78) Crayon Shin-Chan

79) Demonbane

80) Touch

81) Ojamajo Doremi

82) Mobile Suit Gundam F91

83) Hellsing

84) Slam Dunk

85) Grave Of The Fireflies

86) Giant Robot: The Day The Earth Stood Still

87) Trinity Blood

88) Paranoia Agent

89) Heavy Metal L-Gaim

90) Steamboy

91) Mushishi

92) My Neighbor Totoro

93) Inuyasha

94) Appleseed

95) Mai-Otome

96) Round Vernian Vifam

97) Millennium Actress

98) Tohai Densetsu Akagi

99) Nurse Witch Komugi

100) Jin-Roh

What the hell? Jin Roh at the bottom, and Sailor Moon, Pokemon, One Piece and Doremon is up above SDF Macross, and the Gundam SEED and Destiny Votes are combined? newtype is very bias, seems they only like Gundam.

Edited by kensei

oh wow. they left a few of my favorites off that list and put several I wouldn't touch with a billion mile pole.

I vote bull on a list that puts Grave of the Fireflies so low.

Edited by GobotFool

Jin-Roh doesn't even belong on the list, it's such a steaming pile!

Frankly I'm not surprised at all. Step into 4chan once in awhile and visit the /m/echa area. 80% of it's Gundam or NGE. <_< But looking at the list and it's diversity it really shows how many people liked the older 90's anime better then some of the newer stuff. It also shows that MAGICAL GIRL MOE is greater then Glasses Girls & Cyborgs!!! :p:lol:

Akira too. Sorry, even thoguh it was a classic, it gets low marks on my list. All that show did was just freak me out.

Evangelion too. NO idea how that got picked.

Edited by kensei

Akira too. Sorry, even thoguh it was a classic, it gets low marks on my list. All that show did was just freak me out.

Evangelion too. NO idea how that got picked.

423939[/snapback]

Eva's okay, but is easily one of the most overrated animes in the fandom. I think people, unable to process its absolutly bizarre and f'ed up endin figure, "I don't get it, Thus, it must be deep."

What the hell? Jin Roh at the bottom, and Sailor Moon, Pokemon, One Piece and Doremon is up above SDF Macross, and the Gundam SEED and Destiny Votes are combined? newtype is very bias, seems they only like Gundam.

423918[/snapback]

Uh, maybe because it was decided by fan votes? In a situation like that results are going to be more indicative of most popular anime.

I think the anime listed are reflective of the current crop of teens to early twenties anime fans. After all, everything from the 90s are the big name ones that you'd have to be an idiot to not know.

Some interesting lack of notables

-Lodoss Wars

-El Hazard (Tenchi Muoyo is in, can't figure out why this isn't)

-Spirited Away (come on, even Steamboy made it!!)

-Ninku (As one of my friends likes to say, "Before there was Naruto...")

Please keep in mind that:

a) this is a list compiled in Japan, by the Japanese marketplace, for the Japanese.

b) it is compiled in colaboration with Tsutaya. What is Tsutaya, I believe it is the equivalent of what you guys call Blockbuster (or your local, nationwide video/DVD rental chain.) In other words, the list is compiled by a shop that hosts the most popular anime, not necessarily the best*.

c) it is a collaboration of votes by customers who frequent Tsutaya. These customers are generally people who want to go to the most convenient rental shop, as opposed to searching (or as the case may be, hunting) down their favorite anime.

d) lastly, who has time to go and rent videos, let alone fill out questionnaires (or vote cards)? It certainly isn't Joe-salary man, or "soccer" mom, who grew up on the pre-'90's shows. Again, I sense I squewing of the results (as Akilae pointed out.)

If people like my wife, who did grow up in the pre-'90's era did have the time to vote, you'd see a lot more of "Sazae-san," "Chibi-maruko-chan," and "Heidi of the Alps."

So... take the list with a grain of salt and it means little more than... well, Akilae beat me to the punch here, a list of what the 20 somethings, and less than 20 somethings currently like.

* This in itself should speak volumes. A nationwide chain does not tend to cater to small interest groups. Instead, they cater to whatever they think will sell in the marketplace. To me, I take that as meaning the results are already squewed.

Edited by sketchley

yeah this is a load, where is samarui x, or macross plus, M+ is without a doubt one of the best of all time, most people i know who don't like or watch anime love that, and was berserk on the list and i missed it???

Hey Fist of the North Star is on there!!! Those FOTNS slot and pachinko machines from Sammy/Sega have kept it alive lol WAAAAASHOCK!!!!! :ph34r:

Except for the original Gundam, I'm surprised that there any 70's/80's anime on the list.

WTF is Dunbine on the list? Another turd from Tomino.

yeah this is a load, where is samarui x, or macross plus, M+ is without a doubt one of the best of all time, most people i know who don't like or watch anime love that, and was berserk on the list and i missed it???

423999[/snapback]

All three of those were left off the list, and all three belong on this list as far as I am concerned. Another one I am suprised didn't make it is Trigun, but thats just me.

Edited by GobotFool

Oh yeah, i forgot about trigun, i loved that show, bought the toys, and everything. I thought it was excellent from start to finish. Where is my Devilman OVA?? God no love for go nagai's greatest creation at all

Oh yeah, i forgot about trigun, i loved that show, bought the toys, and everything. I thought it was excellent from start to finish. Where is my Devilman OVA?? God no love for go nagai's greatest creation at all

424081[/snapback]

Yeh well, kids these days....

What?! Gundam SEED made the top of this list?! Ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick....

I agree with Akilae and Sketchley's comments; what this shows is merely that the power of marketing and promotion of more recent anime is certainly much greater than in the days of Gundam, Yamato and the like. I for one sure as hell don't think SEED merits its presence based on its story, characters or mecha--I think they're all re-hashed glitzed up versions of the original, and they suck in comparison.

God no love for go nagai's greatest creation at all

424081[/snapback]

What! Getter Robo? ;)

I swear the world will end if Go Nagai's EVER puts out an anime with a wuss character! Could you imagine the number of children running around if they had ever gotten the rights to make Tenchi Muoyo!!! :o:lol:

If people like my wife, who did grow up in the pre-'90's era did have the time to vote, you'd see a lot more of "Sazae-san," "Chibi-maruko-chan," and "Heidi of the Alps."

423996[/snapback]

Heidi of the Alps! AHHHHHHHHHH!! I remember watching that like in the early eighties or late seventies or something! hahaha! Haven't recalled it for like 20 years!

Thats like in the era of Candy Candy.

Damn I'm getting old!

Only thing worse than anime top lists are science fiction top lists :)

Gundam Seed...Gundam SEED? Do these people want to be made fun of? Is Newtype's hate mail server slow and they need to justify a departmental budget this year? NGE over Cowboy Bebop, Akira, or Ghost in the Shell? Not in this universe.

Macross Plus should be on any top anime list, especially a top 100. Mac+ is to anime like the Reservoir Dogs is to 90's film; it's Watanabe's breakout before he delivered his magnum opus via Cowboy Bebop.

Dragonball Z, Steamboy, RahXephon, New Mobile Report Gundam W, Sailor Moon...gawd there's some high ranked crap on that list. And most of it beat out Super Dimension Fortress Macross (Dimensional...does it say something about an anime website that can't get this one right?). I'd laugh if it wasn't so damn sad.

Gundam SEED was all right. Not Seed Destiny. Problem is, they linked the two together.

Now, Gundam Wing with it's Turkey Gundam, now that didn't even deserve to be anywhere near the top 100...

Edited by kensei

Considering how many anime series have been released in Japan, it's still remarkable that SDF Macross made the top 100. Hey at least Macross 7 has been forgotten about lol.

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised that any incarnation of Ruroni Kenshin didn't make the list.

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised that any incarnation of Ruroni Kenshin didn't make the list.

425171[/snapback]

Yes, you would think that a series like RK would be on the list considering it has 20-some volumes of manga, 90+ episodes, 2 OAV series, and loads of artwork would have made it to the list...blame popular culture.

Hey Fist of the North Star is on there!!! Those FOTNS slot and pachinko machines from Sammy/Sega have kept it alive lol WAAAAASHOCK!!!!! :ph34r:

424004[/snapback]

You would be surprised what an impression Fist of the North Star had on popular culture here in Japan. Ive heard non-anime fans from 18 to 80 quote it in normal conversations..