The Best Of Each Mode By Company

do not disturb

I'm no professional photographer so if anybody feels my pics are missing a key element let me know and I'll see if I don't have pics from a better angle that illustrate your point. In the meantime, I can see the thin arms complaint, which frustrates me more when you consider the slack the arms have in fighter mode which still leaves them hanging down as if they were thicker (albeit minimally). Even with the thin arms I think the 1/48 easily trounces the others in battloid mode. The hips and legs are huge turn-offs for me on the 1/60. Yeah, the chicken hands are lame but they're swappable so that sort of alleviates that complaint from my angle at least. I think the 1/48 is a pretty clear winner in all modes really.

When we're considering the "best mode" are we going solely by looks or functionality also?

As for the skinny hands. . . it's perfect transformation. . . well worth the "cost." Personally, the skinny hands never bothered me and I've always been slightly perplexed/amused by the fixation on them here (much as bsu legato was regarding Vader's).

I guess it is the same for those who complain about the yf19 gunpod being tiny or complaining about fighter mode having short wings. :D We all have our fave shape. For example about the length of the wings of the 1/60 yf19, maybe the short wings were what SK intended? (Imo it makes little difference if the wings are a little bit longer but for those who like them long it is a deciding factor in whether they will like it or not)

*sigh* can't please everyone..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

and this thread is about the Best Mode not sacrifices made for perfect transformation.

423954[/snapback]

Well, yeah, but at least for the 1/48's flaws, there's a mitigating reason. In contrast, why in Baby Jesus's name would they make the 1/60 1S head so tiny? :lol:

and this thread is about the Best Mode not sacrifices made for perfect transformation.

423954[/snapback]

Well, yeah, but at least for the 1/48's flaws, there's a mitigating reason. In contrast, why in Baby Jesus's name would they make the 1/60 1S head so tiny? :lol:

423971[/snapback]

Whenever someone mentions the 1/60 Type S Head this comes to mind.

vlcsnap-485695.JPG

each mode should be judge on its overall looks based on proportions, line art and/or anime accuracy, its your pick and your eyes.

perfect trans, the amount of details/accessories/extras doesn't matter. they don't even have to transform, they can be single mode toys as long as they're VF-1 toys.

BTW, i gotta hand it to you jenius, you always have pics of everything, and i mean everything! B))

each mode should be judge on its overall looks based on proportions, line art and/or anime accuracy, its your pick and your eyes.   

perfect trans, the amount of details/accessories/extras doesn't matter.  they don't even have to transform, they can be single mode toys as long as they're VF-1 toys.       

BTW, i gotta hand it to you jenius, you always have pics of everything, and i mean everything!  B))

424042[/snapback]

I can see how some people would prefer the 1/60 battroid because of the nose cone/arms/ and where the backpack sits... but seriously, the 1/48 fighter mode can't be beat.

Woah...sorry but have to disagree with you there. Note the overly bulbous cockpit and forward fuselage section, badly shaped tailfins and tiny feet.

I still wish I had one of those, I like the little cases they came in. They were like something precious.

Woah...sorry but have to disagree with you there. Note the overly bulbous cockpit and forward fuselage section, badly shaped tailfins and tiny feet.

I still wish I had one of those, I like the little cases they came in. They were like something precious.

424053[/snapback]

I have to disagree as well. However, I think the 1/48's cockpit is too bulbous also

423954[/snapback]

423971[/snapback]

Whenever someone mentions the 1/60 Type S Head this comes to mind.

vlcsnap-485695.JPG

423972[/snapback]

That does look like a 1/60 1s head lol

Fuzzy

after careful examination of the pics by Jenius

I have to say that in the following

fighter - - - - - - 1/48

battroid - - - - - 1/48

gerwalk - - - - - 1/48 and toynami Tie

i though that i would give fighter to the 1/60 b/c i think it looks great in that mode but after comparing it to the 1/48.

the 1/60 lost out due to the curve of the nose on the 1/48.

Battroid mode skinny arms or not the toynami doesn't cut it and the 1/60 comes close except for the vf-1s head issue.

As for gerwalk.

I was going to give it to the Toynami simply b/c it holds the stance (feet seem to be flush with ground).

the 1/48 does gerwalk very well also and so its a tie for mee

I'erno~

since this is polling in everyone's independent opinion of the BEST mode for each company, I'd have to say yamato 1/48 all across the board.

the 1/60 fight may look more faithful to the lineart, but the 1/48 looks more believeable to me...

Gerwalk is truly a masterpiece on the 1/48 and though

the 1/48 battroid is the the weakest of the three, with the fast packs on it still looks better than any other version...

If this poll was about what company has the most accurate mode, my choices would be more varied.

I'm going to have to go with:

Fighter: 1/48 Sure, it's not perfect, but its contours resemble the line art the most. No other toy has captured the swoop of the nose so well.

Gerwalk: 1/48 Nearly faultless. It's legs look amazing in an A-stance.

Battroid: 1/48 Again, there are problems, and sure, the 1/60 might be more "accurate" proportionately in that its body parts are roughly the same sizes and take up the same amount of volume as they seem to in the line art, but again, the sculpt, angles, and contours that make up the 1/48 capture the character and feel of the battroid so much better. In comparison, the 1/60 is a collection of roughly proportionate bodyparts, none noticely out of proportion, but none perfectly accurate that I can really get excited about. For me, there's nothing to hate, but there's nothing to really love about it either.

In the end, I go with what looks and feels better to me and has the right personality, not which chunk of plastic is closer in rough size and shape. It helps the 1/48 that its leg, head, chest, and backpack sculpt is vastly superior and more accurate than anything before it (even if the chest is a tad wide), and I feel that these features define the 1/48's battroid well, even if it does suffer somewhat skinny arms.

And yeah, fun thread. Maybe we haven't talked the 1/48 and 1/60's to death yet.

Edited by Sundown

I think the 1/100 ties the 1/48 in gerwalk. In the other modes, the 1/100 is a close second to the 1/48. I think the 1/48 nose-cone swoop is really overdone, personally -- I prefer the 1/100 nose. On the other hand, the 1/100 has the high backpack in fighter. But, then again, the 1/100 doesn't suffer from those ugly, low-hanging shoulders that the 1/48 has in fighter.

Jenius -- great pics, but I still have to complain that you aren't fully closing the gap between the 1/100's hip and central plate. There shouldn't be a gap like that. This pic that I stole from F360 shows what I mean:post-1886-1155539462_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Oh yeah, I think the 1/60 is hideous with it's cracked-up legs.

And also:

HEY! WHEre DA CHUNKY MunKEEZ?!? LOL!!1

Edited by danth

Danth, I see what you're talking about now and yes, my fighter mode pic for the 1/100 is a bit sloppy. Thanks for the heads-up. When I get the others in I'll be taking more pics so hopefully i'll have better reference pics then.

In the meantime, thanks again to the member that pointed out the Banpresto legs and the A stance in GERWALK, I put an example of this in my Banpresto review on my site.

HEY! WHEre DA CHUNKY MunKEEZ?!? LOL!!1

I've been so dreading doing the monkey shoots... when I do a shoot I take 40 +/- shots of each toy. Since there are 5 monkeys that's 200 pics I'll be taking. When you throw in the unpacking, transforming, posing, putting back away that's a large investment of time... but it'll be happening soon :) If I do two a week over the next few weeks it shouldn't be so bad. The whole process really helps me out when it comes to putting my little blurbs about the toys online too.

Edited by jenius

Battroid - The 1/60. It's overall proportions come the closest to matching the lineart. While it's true that the S head was stumpy, the A and J heads look fantastic. The 1/48 battroid's arms are too long & thin, the chest to big, and the rat claws (hands) are an abomination to mecha.

Gerwalk - The 1/48 without a doubt.

Fighter - This one was close. The 1/60 has good proportions, but the 1/48 has equally good proportions, plus the 1/48's feet tuck in nicely and it overall has less gaps. 1/48's the winner here.

Great thread, it's so simple I wonder why it hasn't been done before :lol:

Agree wholeheartedly with LoneWolf - the 1/60 Battroid can't be beat... ONCE you've modified the shoulder joints a bit! I just can't fall in love with the plane-centric 1/48 after all this time. I mean, the 1/60 had better proportioned hands that FIT into the arms than the larger 1/48's skeletals...

The only mode the 1/60 gets right *IS* Battroid....

But I still prefer the 1/48. I don't like the hands but it's not like Yamato couldn't have done them differently......

Those ballsockets on the 1/60 look like a pair of testicles that got kicked...

Agree wholeheartedly with LoneWolf - the 1/60 Battroid can't be beat... ONCE you've modified the shoulder joints a bit! I just can't fall in love with the plane-centric 1/48 after all this time. I mean, the 1/60 had better proportioned hands that FIT into the arms than the larger 1/48's skeletals...

425025[/snapback]

what? thats it? thats all you had to say?

i figured if anyone was going to slam the 1/48 it would be you. :D

nice to see you back.

425025[/snapback]

what? thats it? thats all you had to say?

i figured if anyone was going to slam the 1/48 it would be you. :D

nice to see you back.

425069[/snapback]

Just admit it haterist, you created this thread solely to bring back drifand. :p

Great to see you back, drifand!

I don't get how anyone could like the 1/60 in battloid mode from the chest down. Sure, the head (not 1S), shoulders, and arms are nice... but everything else is lame. No knees, the legs rotate at the calf, the crotch is pointy, and the hip mechanisms are ugly. Look at the gaps and seams on the legs... yuck. To each their own I suppose.

Edited by jenius