Dam You Macross 7 Dam You #$%#$^#$&^$%&

deadghost

Basara is not an ace pilot, he's a performer. Actually I dismissed Basara from the top aces in Macross universe, with 0 plane/mecha being shot down by him. Even Hibiki from Macross II manage to score a kill inside that Zentran ship and he's a reporter with valid valkyrie license :lol: .

But I admit that Basara is a freak since he can do some stunts with one of Rex's gang bike.

I'll agree with this for the most part. Though take into account that Max has indeed been hit. Don't forget that he lost his VF-1A in Britai's ship after taking on too much damage in hallway fire. While true his manuverability options werel imited, the same could be said for Basara while caught inbetween the massive numbers of Chloe's fleet.

Both however survived, and returned to show up their attacker's again.

421131[/snapback]

but Chlores fleet weren't hindering Basara anymore than the Varuta fleet had normaly, it was just random fire , and Chlore seemed to dodge it all fine herself, as where basara did normaly as well.

as where Max had solid walls enclosing him in, leaving him between a rock and a hard place.

Basara is not an ace pilot, he's a performer. Actually I dismissed Basara from the top aces in Macross universe, with 0 plane/mecha being shot down by him.  Even Hibiki from Macross II manage to score a kill inside that Zentran ship and he's a reporter with valid valkyrie license  :lol: .

But I admit that Basara is a freak since he can do some stunts with one of Rex's gang bike.

421156[/snapback]

Being a performer doesn't dismiss Basara as an Ace any more than being drunk would dismiss Roy.

Basara is not an ace pilot, he's a performer. Actually I dismissed Basara from the top aces in Macross universe, with 0 plane/mecha being shot down by him. 

He defeats a LOT of varuta pilots, though.

Sure it's non-lethal, but he still removes them from combat.

I'm pretty sure it was early on in the series where max comments about basara. I think it goes something like: "He is on my level, but not quite as good as me when I was in my prime" (assuming he has lost some skill in his older age?)

That I can accept, but even then, Max was still able to fly through all the Varuta defences alone in his VF-22 even with his "diminished" ability.

However I doubt it was age that blunted his edge, it was most likely his command. You don't get into too many dog fights in the Captain's chair. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it was early on in the series where max comments about basara. I think it goes something like: "He is on my level, but not quite as good as me when I was in my prime" (assuming he has lost some skill in his older age?)

That I can accept, but even then, Max was still able to fly through all the Varuta defences alone in his VF-22 even with his "diminished" ability.

However I doubt it was age that blunted his edge, it was most likely his command. You don't get into too many dog fights in the Captain's chair. :rolleyes:

421314[/snapback]

Max was probably sneaking out and blowing crap up in his VF-22 when no one was looking.

I bet "The Masked Fighter Pilot" was a popular topic of M7 news. Right behind "That Crazy Rockstar Fighter Pilot".

:)

Being a performer doesn't dismiss Basara as an Ace any more than being drunk would dismiss Roy.

So you are saying that Basara is drunk? :blink::lol:

421316[/snapback]

nah, he's more probably stoned :p

421340[/snapback]

That... actually explains a lot.

Basara is not an ace pilot, he's a performer. Actually I dismissed Basara from the top aces in Macross universe, with 0 plane/mecha being shot down by him.  Even Hibiki from Macross II manage to score a kill inside that Zentran ship and he's a reporter with valid valkyrie license  :lol: .

421156[/snapback]

421229[/snapback]

hay hay hay dont be messing with my boy roy, and he is a classy drinker. - you cant got to war and be scared of alcohol. alcohol is roys pain for the the tall of war it has taken on his past kinda like a war scare or PDSD ,and an ace is a military pilot who takes down more than 5 enemy planes, basara is not part of the military, he did not kill 5 enemy vf.

YES.... THANK YOU I FINALLY WAITED FOR SOME ONE TO PRAISE Kinryu AND EMERALD FORCE THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT MAC7.

421419[/snapback]

womanizing egotistical bastar*'s?

crap, ya want that + booze, join a real military and get stationed within country... i was on a canadian airforce base a few times, it had at least 3 bars, and a alchohal store on base. everything in the town off base was mostly bars, clubs, and booze shops (with the exception of the wal-mart)

ahh the good times had.. god i got plastered up there...

U.S. Navy bases aren't much differant cept booze stores aren't as common on base (supposedly they are trying to lose that drunken sailor image)

... and an ace is a military pilot who takes down more than 5 enemy planes, basara is not part of the military, he did not kill 5 enemy vf.

421415[/snapback]

After Sound Force is formed, he IS part of the military. And whether he's an ace or not depends on if he has to kill them or just remove them from the battle. He takes entire squadrons out of the fight single-handedly.

YES.... THANK YOU I FINALLY WAITED FOR SOME ONE TO PRAISE Kinryu AND EMERALD FORCE THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT MAC7.

421419[/snapback]

I thought the M&M VF-22s were...

Basara is not an ace pilot, he's a performer. Actually I dismissed Basara from the top aces in Macross universe, with 0 plane/mecha being shot down by him. 

He defeats a LOT of varuta pilots, though.

Sure it's non-lethal, but he still removes them from combat.

421250[/snapback]

Not to mention he's the only one capable of dealing with the Protodevelin.

421441[/snapback]

Well, you're wrong. Kinryu, whether he's in a VF-17 or a VF-11 or what, rocks the house.

And I'm not sure you can say Kinryu was a womanizer. It's not like one bridge bunny was his girlfriend and he was going out with another behind her back. He was LITERALLY sleeping with two bridge bunnies at once. Like one on each arm, you know? Go Kinryu.

421441[/snapback]

Well, you're wrong. Kinryu, whether he's in a VF-17 or a VF-11 or what, rocks the house.

And I'm not sure you can say Kinryu was a womanizer. It's not like one bridge bunny was his girlfriend and he was going out with another behind her back. He was LITERALLY sleeping with two bridge bunnies at once. Like one on each arm, you know? Go Kinryu.

421610[/snapback]

It wasn't just Basara's song that elevated his spiritia (nudge nudge)

421419[/snapback]

womanizing egotistical bastar*'s?

crap, ya want that + booze, join a real military and get stationed within country... i was on a canadian airforce base a few times, it had at least 3 bars, and a alchohal store on base. everything in the town off base was mostly bars, clubs, and booze shops (with the exception of the wal-mart)

ahh the good times had.. god i got plastered up there...

U.S. Navy bases aren't much differant cept booze stores aren't as common on base (supposedly they are trying to lose that drunken sailor image)

421429[/snapback]

Get this im also joining the navy ah yes roy fokker you burned your image into my mind when I was a kid lol.

You know, ever since I've been on here (April, '01), this is the longest M7 thread I've seen...

422221[/snapback]

Yeh well...that's because we've keep the talk reasonable.

Edited by azrael

I just watched the first 17 episodes of Macross 7, for the first time, over the last two weeks.

Man, oh man.

An anime about a guy who flies a flaming red valkyrie into space, piloting with a guitar instead of a flight stick, firing a gun that shoots speakers instead of bullets, and singing at the enemy until they give up.

How could this not be the best god damn thing ever created?

It doesn't hurt that it has designs by Shoji Kawamori and Miyatake and Haruhiku Mikimoto. It also features some incredibly good music (Mylene's songs -- My Friends and Sweet Fantasy). And, for a TV series, the animation is stellar.

Yeah, I'll grant M7's detractors some points. It starts out extremely repetitive: every episode, Fire Bomber's musical performance is interrupted by an alien attack, and Basara flies out to sing at them. I, too, am sick of "Planet Dance." But when the over-arching story picks up, the show gets really good.

The last two episodes I watched introduced Sivil (major hottie) and showed her in action. The climax of those epiodes? A rock star flies a valkyrie to sing against a space demon.

M7 wins the universe.

And speaking of climax...I'm pretty sure Basara made Sivil climax with that song. She cried and everything.

Final thought: If I had to hate Harmony Gold for just one thing, it's this: they are why M7 was never shown on US television. If it had been, I bet it would have been a mega-hit.

Edited by danth

Maybe it's just being jaded for so many years, but my first reaction was to search your post for sarcasm...

Anyway, you'll see as the story goes along just why those first 12 episodes were so repretative, they were important for the long term developement of the story.

So you are saying that Basara is drunk? :blink::lol:

421316[/snapback]

I think Basara does a lot of acid and takes steroids. That's what I think.

Keith, is it just me, or does your av have Basara flipping people off?

422436[/snapback]

Japanese have different concepts of unacceptable body language. As the image used in the avatar is a Haruhiku Mikimoto original, I don't think North American body language should be read into it.

Wow, am I late to this thread? :)

Way back in November 1994 when I rented the first tape off of some mom and pop Japanese video store that was inside of the local Yaohan (now Mitsuwa), I was really excited to get home and check it out. Now these tapes were recorded off of Japanese TV as the store catered in taping live shows and renting them out here, so the tape was pretty hard to find in all the mass of plain labeled VHS tapes with kanji and katakana. Anyways to make a long story short, I rented every tape (which had one month's worth of episodes, so 4) every month, and every time I tried to get my friends into it with me.

I anxiously waited every month for a tape thinking that the story would drastically change into something I liked. After watching the whole series, I sat there confused. I wanted so much to like it, but couldn't stand it. My friends gave up after I showed them just one episode, and that episode was IMO the best (as I was trying to hook them) which was the attack on the Protodevlin home planet. They thought I was sick in the head for watching all 49 episodes.

I think the best thing about renting those tapes were the hilarious Japanese commercials.

And speaking of climax...I'm pretty sure Basara made Sivil climax with that song. She cried and everything.

lol i said that like 4 pages or more back :p

it sure seems like it doesn't it?

also, i blame HG for a few things that should've happened with Macross in the U.S., and this is one, not the best series, not the worst, but if it came out back then i bet roblowtechies would've eaten it up in a heartbeat (at that time, most are smarter now)

also, i blame HG for a few things that should've happened with Macross in the U.S., and this is one, not the best series, not the worst, but if it came out back then i bet roblowtechies would've eaten it up in a heartbeat (at that time, most are smarter now)

HG had little to do with it.

They had no rights with respect to Mac 7, only SDF Macross and after the last court judgement all they own is half the international rights to the animated show, nothing else, not character designs or mecha....

Hence why Manga Ent. released Macross II & Macross Plus at around that time.

So even if they wanted it, I doubt Bigwest would have licensed it to them, especially if the goofs were arrogant enough to expect the same rediculous deal they got from Tatsunoko for Macross... :rolleyes:

I don't remember Millia's VF-22, but I DO remember her kick ass VF-17!!

The only VF-17 I ever liked.

422608[/snapback]

The VF-22 doesn't get near enough screen time.

It shows up in the last episode, and her and Max start tag-teaming stuff just like the old days... and they animate about 4 seconds of it.

I gather it has more of a presence in the OVA, but I haven't felt the urge to find that yet.