Dam You Macross 7 Dam You #$%#$^#$&^$%&

deadghost

As far as the chemical secretions aspect goes, it follows some logic. Spiritia is influenced by emotion and emotion is infuenced by chemicals secreted within your brain -- the entire basis behind drugs that change your mood. It was nothing more than stab at the concept of spiritia and how it was harvested. The Star Wars explanation of the Force wasn't well recieved by me and many other fans. I liked it much better when it had no explanation at all. Many things, especially things "magical" in nature do not need an explanation.

So you forced a biological explanation onto spiritia so you could do Macross' Phantom Menace?

417030[/snapback]

No. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was making fun of spiritia.

No. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was making fun of spiritia.

417127[/snapback]

Geez, dude, that's what emoticons are for. Sarcasm doesn't translate well in flat text. You shoulda added a laugh or a wink in your post. ;)

Edited by Penguin

umm yeah he read the posts he stated right there... well.. read the quote... Mac 7, games it spawned, and capability to make them.

417054[/snapback]

True, and how many albums did "Backstreet Boys" and "Insync" release or how many "Land Before Time" and Mary kate and Ashley Olsen videos have been released?

There is quite a strong market for "kids" shows, everywhere... :rolleyes:

Spiritia has jack to do with chemical reactions, that much is more than sufficiantly shown in the series. The Protodevelin were beings of pure energy that possessed physical bodies in order to exist in this universe. The food that they sustain themselves on is equally pure energy, be it produced by living beings. You can argue this point if you wish, but you'd be ignoring series canon in doing so.

Spiritia is produced from the feelings living things put into various tasks, existing, emotions, etc. The more passionate the action, the more spiritia is produced. While math may not be able to quanity this concept at the current time, you have to take into account that math can't really quantify why anything in the universe exists at all, so take that as you will.

As for the game, it's Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 for the PS2. There's currently a nicely priced budget release out for about $40, and I definately reccomend picking it up if you're at all into Macross, Gundam or any number of Super Robot series. It's insanely fun for a strategy game, far more fun than it should be...

And I'm all for Yamato doing a line of 7 Valkyries. I'd love a shiny metalic VF-19 Kai with optional Sound Boosters. The VF-11 MAXL Kai also shouldn't be too hard to pull off, the only "major" difference is its delta wing. I hate the stubby little wings that are on the VF-19 F & S, but a proper (i.e. not as chunky as Bandai's) VF-17 D/S with Gamlin's gunbpod blaster attachment would be awesome.

417076[/snapback]

I was going to buy a copy, but I don't speak Japanese. Will I still be able to enjoy and play the game?

umm yeah he read the posts he stated right there... well.. read the quote... Mac 7, games it spawned, and capability to make them.

417054[/snapback]

hmm the way I read it seemed to me that he just reverted to the original argument, without acknowledging the point, that it did have spinoffs, he (or anybody else) hasn't responded to it.

417057[/snapback]

I was trying to be as objective as possible about the postings. The original topic that got everything off-topic was whether or not Macross 7's franchise delved into the video game realm. And, as fate would have it, yes, its popularity did infact land it into just that. I wasn't trying to diss M7 (that time,) I was just stating where that "tangent" came from. I thought it was a bit more interesting than arguing about the fundamentals of spiritia, and in the process I may even have discovered a video game I might buy. :D

I was going to buy a copy, but I don't speak Japanese. Will I still be able to enjoy and play the game?

417170[/snapback]

i haven't played this one so i dunno, but most japanese games i own you can catch the gist of the story and all from either the in game cutscenes (wether or not u know whats being said, i learned i actually understand more than i thaught i did), the anime its based from, and/or an online translation of the game

gamefaqs.com usualy has some decent ones

So you forced a biological explanation onto spiritia so you could do Macross' Phantom Menace?

417030[/snapback]

i like that explanation :)

but following the way they describe Spiritia in the series, it almost makes partial sense in a more scientific manner, since most won't agree to the existance of a "life force" and have belief all can be answered with math.

It's an odd concept to western audiences, but I gather it's a much more accepted one over there.

417170[/snapback]

You won't enjoy it as MUCH without the dialogue, but there's plenty of eye-candy to be had once you work out what random symbols in the meny do what.

This comes from a english-speaking-only Super Robot Wars fan.

You might try to "preview" the series with an emulator. The easiest way to get a fair comparison would be ZSNES or SNES9x and Super Robot Wars 4. 4 has the gameplay of the more modern ones down, but it's much more limited animation-wise(obviously CDs and DVDs can hold orders of magnitude more data than SNES ROM carts).

Be warned, though... you may find yourself wanting mechs you've never heard of before, just because they look freaking cool in the game.

It's an odd concept to western audiences, but I gather it's a much more accepted one over there.

417231[/snapback]

Check up on qi (chi),  気, or 氣.

You can start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi (haven't read it all, don't know how accurate it is, or isn't.)

From it, you can kind of get an idea of the origins of the concept of 'the Force,' as well as some of the greater-than-human powers that some martial artists posses.

Keep in mind that this is the cultural background or basis that spiritia exists in... but also strongly keep in mind that spiritia is not qi; and the two are different (I will admit that this is more an opinion than fact - based on what I know of both qi and spiritia. Similar but disimilar.)

Re: games

If you are already interested in video games (or want a video game version of Macross) basically all of the Macross games are good. They are all 'shooters' and it is fairly easy to figure out the game with no Japanese ability whatsoever.

Out of the Macross games available for the PS1 I recommend:

VF-X2: this one is the most interesting and playable.

Macross Plus: Game Edition: it's weak point is that you are limited to only one mode per mission/level/encounter. The cool factor comes from it's Streetfighter II like aspects - power moves, etc.. Probably the best thing about the game is that it can be played 2 player, and not only can you choose from a wealth of Macross vehicles, you can also customize the paint colours. Reverse spin kicking Regults are lethal! Once you beat the game, you can even play the Ghost X-9 and the Variable Glaug in the versus mode - they are lethal!

Macross DYRL: side scrolling shooter. Fun, but compared to VF-X2, limited. This one is probably the easiest to figure out, and it comes with some great animated eye-candy between the missions.

VF-X: this one is... well, it has the second best original storyline (after VF-X2.) The song written by Mari Ijima that you hear after you beat the game is also good too... but overal, the game feels... limited, compared to VF-X2, and the anime feel of Macross Plus: Game Edition.

I haven't played the PS2 version of Macross: DYRL, but it looks sweet. It's only weak point is that it is limited to the SWI era, and you don't get to play the Macross 7 era VFs.

Wow, thanks for the game breakdown! Fortunately, I already have DYRL for Ps2. I suck at it but I love it! Unfortunately, the end of this month leaves my wallet with two gaping wounds:

(1) Anniversary

(2) My kids b-day

Yes, they both happen almost within a week of eachother. Feel bad for me.

417170[/snapback]

That was also my concern, and the major reason I waited so long to buy it. But I figured since I was already picking up Guilty Gear XX Slash, I might as well toss something else in the order. Then I saw the discount priced version & that Macross 7 & Mazinger Z were both included, and couldn't resist. Flash forward a few days later, and I was going to just test out SRWA3 for a few minutes before jumping into Guilty Gear....and unfortunately, I still haven't gotten around to playing GG :)

There's a pretty good FAQ over at Gamefaqs.com that gives detailed synposis of what's going on in the story for each stage, and that in and of itself is a great help. Though even without that, if you're at all familar with the anime covered in the game (so far, the main story parts seem to cover elements from Gundam SEED & Macross 7), then you won't have too hard of a time figuring out what's going on. General rudimentary knowledge of Japanese from watching anime (and or enough kana to recognize words like "Macross"), doesn't hurt. After a couple stages of playing around with the various options, I figured out the bulk of the controls & the what to & what not to do's of the game with no problem. Though there's a lot of detail involved in the options, none of them are difficult to remember or figure out. Hell, It's been almost 2 weeks, and I still haven't looked at a "what do the controls do" faq proper, and seem to be doing pretty well with the game.

JBO is right though, the big danger in playing this game is an almost instantanious interest in various mecha & super robots from shows you may not be familiar with. Already I found myself picking up the Shin Getter Robo box set, and am also anticipating the GaoGaiGar relelase next month....damn game!

BTW, does anyone know what show/game that pink robot that turns into a pink firetruck and joins with that darkblue robot that launches missiles is from?

417231[/snapback]

Check up on qi (chi),  気, or 氣.

You can start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi (haven't read it all, don't know how accurate it is, or isn't.)

From it, you can kind of get an idea of the origins of the concept of 'the Force,' as well as some of the greater-than-human powers that some martial artists posses.

Keep in mind that this is the cultural background or basis that spiritia exists in... but also strongly keep in mind that spiritia is not qi; and the two are different (I will admit that this is more an opinion than fact - based on what I know of both qi and spiritia. Similar but disimilar.)

Thank you!

I had a sort of vague notion of the term, but wasn't quite sure exactly what it entailed. I'm sure you know how that goes.

And I will keep in mind that Wikipedia gets iffy sometimes(and that it's rather prone to vandalism, so even if the article is NORMALLY right it can be wrong NOW). I've seen both cases in action before.

BTW, does anyone know what show/game that pink robot that turns into a pink firetruck and joins with that darkblue robot that launches missiles is from?

417364[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken(and I can't imagine there's very many pink firetrucks in all of anime), you're describing AnRyu and KouRyu. Those 2 are HyoRyu and EnRyu's "sisters" from Gaogaigar Final.

http://www.goshouworld.com/GaoGaiGar/mecha_attack.htm

Is that them?

Reverse spin kicking Regults are lethal! 

:o

You mean, like a roundhouse kick?

Imagine the horror of a macronized Chuck Norris....

To bring this post back OT, I'm about half-way through M7 and have had no problems yet, other than the fact that the City7 dome seems to be a soap bubble that the Varuta can pass through with ease. I can't get Fire Bomber's songs out of my head, though I haven't figured out if that's b/c I like them or I'm just oversaturated...

This is an M7 thread... video games and all other crap... take it somewhere else (unless it concerns M7).

417380[/snapback]

i think the original intent of this thread is all but dieing down.

originaly the chatter of games was M7 related.

best thing to do is either quityerbit**in (not to be rude, its just for lack of better term) or put the thread back on topic, far be it from me, as i'm not sure where the topic was going to begin with really, outside of odd debates...

if it helps though, i just got my first VF-19 figure in the mail today (of 3 i ordered 1 true Bandai and 2 bootlegs to tinker with)

its M7 related... sorta.. wrong forum though i think

ANYWHO

as they say

"shikata ga nai"

Edited by GrimlockCW

To be exact, getting back on track with what this topic is all about would entail me proclaiming something akin to "*&^%ING MACROSS SEVEN RLLY PSSES ME OFF *&^%$ING CRAP &^^%$ PISS *&^^% MOTHER &^%$$# * HOLE &&^%$ DANGIT."

At least the video game stuff is useful. *cough*

To be exact, getting back on track with what this topic is all about would entail me proclaiming something akin to "*&^%ING MACROSS SEVEN RLLY PSSES ME OFF *&^%$ING CRAP &^^%$ PISS *&^^% MOTHER &^%$$# * HOLE &&^%$ DANGIT."

417581[/snapback]

LOL, oh yeah! thats what the thread was.. i think it was better off derailed..

417364[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken(and I can't imagine there's very many pink firetrucks in all of anime), you're describing AnRyu and KouRyu. Those 2 are HyoRyu and EnRyu's "sisters" from Gaogaigar Final.

http://www.goshouworld.com/GaoGaiGar/mecha_attack.htm

Is that them?

417373[/snapback]

Yep, that's them, and now I want to see GaoGaiGar even more.

To bring this post back OT, I'm about half-way through M7 and have had no problems yet, other than the fact that the City7 dome seems to be a soap bubble that the Varuta can pass through with ease. I can't get Fire Bomber's songs out of my head, though I haven't figured out if that's b/c I like them or I'm just oversaturated...

Not so much a soap bubble, as an omni-directional barrier toned down a bit to let slow moving solid objects through. Things only get more awesome as the Planet Lux events play out, the mid-section of the series has great of revelations about the Protoculture & general Macross series mysteries. As for the music, once your hatred for Planet Dance for it being played so many times turns to love for it no matter how many times it's played, you'll know you're a fan.

417581[/snapback]

417581[/snapback]

LOL, oh yeah! thats what the thread was.. i think it was better off derailed..

417608[/snapback]

Look, if you guys dont like the topic how about just staying out of the thread and starting your own elsewhere...

i find it ironic your complaing more about it being O/T than you are being On T yourself

on the soap bubble thing, is there any actual explanation to it ever mentioned? i never noticed one, but was curious myself as to why it was so easy for them to move in and out of it like it was nothing, yet you see sound force launch from a airlock of the sort always.

Edited by GrimlockCW

... As for the music, once your hatred for Planet Dance for it being played so many times turns to love for it no matter how many times it's played, you'll know you're a fan.

Yes, much like prisoners who've been tortured into capitulation.

They are brought to a point where they "want" to help the bad guys... :p;)

Edited by Zinjo

... As for the music, once your hatred for Planet Dance for it being played so many times turns to love for it no matter how many times it's played, you'll know you're a fan.

417702[/snapback]

or commit suicide, wichever comes first or fits into their morale :p

honestly at first i thaught Basara was just giving everyone headaches, then it seemed like Sivil was getting off to his music... strange concept, but it sure looked that way after a bit with the way she began to react

417702[/snapback]

honestly at first i thaught Basara was just giving everyone headaches, then it seemed like Sivil was getting off to his music... strange concept, but it sure looked that way after a bit with the way she began to react

417707[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking.

1) She kept describing her reactions as "This... feeling" (on my sub anyway), not "the pain" or something like that. Perhaps its the equivalent of "He makes me feel funny down there..."

2) She keeps going back for more, her reaction is *squint, squint, gasp, tense-up, convulse, gasp, scream*

3) She keeps wanting to make out with Basara while in possessed humans.

4) She shouts "Ecstasy!" when she does finally kiss him. (again, on my sub)

I'm on the Lux episode now, haven't been able to watch it for a few days.

I actually didn't realize the City 7 dome was a barrier! Is there any documentation on this? This does make more sense in terms of the show. At first I though that infiltration group hit one of the docking bays, and there were just enough to occupy the next few shows worth of action. I thought it was weird b/c we see footage of Elgerzorines blasting through windows on the other ships, but they just show up all the time on the Macross. A big barrier bubble doesn't necessarily seem like a great idea, though - it better have a super-dang-stable, dedicated reactor. And again, if this keeps happening, shouldn't closing the shell be standard procedure whenever the bad guys fold in?

Edited by Kelsain

417702[/snapback]

417707[/snapback]

1) She kept describing her reactions as "This... feeling" (on my sub anyway), not "the pain" or something like that. Perhaps its the equivalent of "He makes me feel funny down there..."

2) She keeps going back for more, her reaction is *squint, squint, gasp, tense-up, convulse, gasp, scream*

I actually didn't realize the City 7 dome was a barrier! Is there any documentation on this? This does make more sense in terms of the show. At first I though that infiltration group hit one of the docking bays, and there were just enough to occupy the next few shows worth of action. I thought it was weird b/c we see footage of Elgerzorines blasting through windows on the other ships, but they just show up all the time on the Macross. A big barrier bubble doesn't necessarily seem like a great idea, though - it better have a super-dang-stable, dedicated reactor. And again, if this keeps happening, shouldn't closing the shell be standard procedure whenever the bad guys fold in?

417713[/snapback]

it did become a standard procedure at some point, most of the time anyways, unless they folded in so close that there was no time to close it, though i don't think it ever closed on Lux..

Not so much a soap bubble, as an omni-directional barrier toned down a bit to let slow moving solid objects through.

I always thought it was some sort of lightweight transparent material, like overtech plexiglas, and they blasted holes in it to enter/exit.

If it was just a barrier, you'd think they'd just turn it up it to real barrier levels instead of lowering a defensive shell. Lot faster in an emergency.

Being permeable to matter also presents atmospheric problems. A long-range colony ship can't afford a constant atmospheric leak, not even a small one. To say nothing of what happens if you lose power...

I always thought it was some sort of lightweight transparent material, like overtech plexiglas, and they blasted holes in it to enter/exit.

If it was just a barrier, you'd think they'd just turn it up it to real barrier levels instead of lowering a defensive shell. Lot faster in an emergency.

Being permeable to matter also presents atmospheric problems. A long-range colony ship can't afford a constant atmospheric leak, not even a small one. To say nothing of what happens if you lose power...

417752[/snapback]

if they turned it up though that'd drain more power, and if attacked it could overload the system and essentialy shut down the whole shibang no?

417752[/snapback]

if they turned it up though that'd drain more power, and if attacked it could overload the system and essentialy shut down the whole shibang no?

417804[/snapback]

Stuff flying through it and shooting stuff up the insides isn't exactly good either, though. And low-power or not, a shield can be overloaded.

417702[/snapback]

417707[/snapback]

4) She shouts "Ecstasy!" when she does finally kiss him. (again, on my sub)

417713[/snapback]

It isn't... its solid. You see it best when Basara is sitting on it during planet lux playing his guitar. it even sounds solid when he walks on it. Or when Gigil infiltrates flying past Diamond squad he attacks it and it explodes. Pretty conclusive its some sort of tranparent material

Stuff flying through it and shooting stuff up the insides isn't exactly good either, though. And low-power or not, a shield can be overloaded.

Like a fully armed and operational Monster? It's a good thing they hit the building...

I agree that it looks like OTEC plexi, or Transparent alumnium, though the shield idea explained some things. Although, even if it only lets slow matter through (like the shields in SW:1), the molecules in the enclosed air are probably moving slower than Gigil's escape pod.

Perhaps the Varuta get in through those big plot holes...

Edited by Kelsain