Sdcc 2006 Toynami Exclusive Valk

xstoys

I think it's still too much. With the packaging it looks like a $20 toy, but if put on a blister card, we can tell it's a $5 toy. So what's the use of having domestic release toys again? To make it cheaper? At these prices they're about the same price as Yamato's sucky action figures that sell for 19.99 at Tower Records, except those are bigger.

These things don't look all that much better than a banpresto. They look like they should be no more than $5, like Exo said.

Do these come with a limited edition numbered plaque or something? Does it come in some super packaging? What's the extra $15-20 for?

So what's the use of having domestic release toys again?  To make it cheaper?

basically to have the opportunity to get them on sale/clearance, much like the japanese fans get 1/48s on sale for $90 at TRU japan.

like the MPC's, we'll be able to find these on clearance at 50-75% of the MSRP. i mean, just because something has a $20 price tag doesn't mean anyone should pay $20 for it.

i'll end up paying retail for the first one, then pick up the others on the discount rack like all the other toynami products. :D

I think it's still too much.  With the packaging it looks like a $20 toy, but if put on a blister card, we can tell it's a $5 toy.  So what's the use of having domestic release toys again?  To make it cheaper?  At these prices they're about the same price as Yamato's sucky action figures that sell for 19.99 at Tower Records, except those are bigger.

415478[/snapback]

Geez are they that bad in your opinion?

The fact that they have a stand and all the missles does it for me, I still will buy some. Not to mention it doesn't need part swapping and its smaller scale.

I mean I see banprestos selling for 17$@cons and I think THOSE should be 5$ figures. These look a lot better IMHO.

For 20$ I'm not expecting a mini 1/48, what I do expect is something the size of the old bandai kits but a ton more durable.

The fact that they have a stand and all the missles does it for me, I still will buy some.  Not to mention it doesn't need part swapping and its smaller scale. 

I mean I see banprestos selling for 17$@cons and I think THOSE should be 5$ figures.  These look a lot better IMHO.

For 20$ I'm not expecting a mini 1/48, what I do expect is something the size of the old bandai kits but a ton more durable.

415488[/snapback]

I didn't say they were bad. But they're not worth $20. Those Banprestos have an excuse to be $17 because they're imported and unavailable outside of Japan. Remember? But these are toys available domestically and we're paying import prices. What I'm saying is the price is set on how it's packaged. Put these toys on blister cards like they're suppose to be and you'll see exactly what they're worth. At the most these toys are worth $10 even if their run is limited. It just bugs me that they claim that if BW allows them to import Yamato stuff then it'll be more affordable, just another claim they wouldnt be able to deliver on. For $20 I'd expect the FPs to be included. Then it'll be a decent deal.

It's like haterist said, I'll wait for them to go on clearance so I can get them for the price they should be set.

The fact that they have a stand and all the missles does it for me, I still will buy some.  Not to mention it doesn't need part swapping and its smaller scale. 

I mean I see banprestos selling for 17$@cons and I think THOSE should be 5$ figures.  These look a lot better IMHO.

415488[/snapback]

I didn't say they were bad. But they're not worth $20. Those Banprestos have an excuse to be $17 because they're imported and unavailable outside of Japan. Remember? But these are toys available domestically and we're paying import prices. What I'm saying is the price is set on how it's packaged. Put these toys on blister cards like they're suppose to be and you'll see exactly what they're worth. At the most these toys are worth $10 even if their run is limited. It just bugs me that they claim that if BW allows them to import Yamato stuff then it'll be more affordable, just another claim they wouldnt be able to deliver on. For $20 I'd expect the FPs to be included. Then it'll be a decent deal.

It's like haterist said, I'll wait for them to go on clearance so I can get them for the price they should be set.

415510[/snapback]

Are they trying to import Yamato stuff? That'd be news to me.

Nonetheless, for me, I was excited when these were first announced@fall toyfair last year, and I knew the price back then, so I guess I was prepared to see the price still the same.

I do need to see these for myself and hopefully the time comes soon. The hikaru exclusive was the 1st release so the 1st wave should not be too far behind.

For what its worth my main thing is that they aren't as overpriced in comparison to what the MPC was. I really do need to see these for myself.

Me personally though, I'd prefer a box so I could store all the accessories somewhere if I were to move or something. With a blister card, that'd be difficult to do.

What I'm saying is the price is set on how it's packaged.  Put these toys on blister cards like they're suppose to be and you'll see exactly what they're worth.  At the most these toys are worth $10 even if their run is limited.  It just bugs me that they claim that if BW allows them to import Yamato stuff then it'll be more affordable, just another claim they wouldnt be able to deliver on.  For $20 I'd expect the FPs to be included.  Then it'll be a decent deal.

415510[/snapback]

taking into consideration of toynami past releases, i kind of knew they'd spend more money on the packaging than the toy itself. its unfortunate that they still haven't figured out why their toys end up at discount stores at 75% off the MSRP.

you'd figure after the poor sales of MPC(outside of the overpaying knukleheads on ebay) and the all complaints of poor QC and craftsmenship on THEIR SITE from THEIR FANS, they get a clue and realize people want a better toy, not a fancy box.

but whatever, i don't work for toynami and as far as i can tell, they just don't get the fact that this line of toys should be directed at 25+ year old(usually a bit anal-retentive)fans, and not some 12 year old who going to be intrigued by a shiney box. and you'd figure as a business, they'd look to yamato(since they're probably the most successful company with the macross license) and put out a good toy in a crappy box/packaging. *shrug*

ADDED:

i also dislike how they're trying to sell the FPs seperately. but its all good, whatever the price tag, we'll be seeing quite a few of them at the .99 cents store. :D

Edited by haterist

i can't find the pics of the K&M figures....whats the name of that site that has scans of every macross toy known to man?  its not linked anywhere on the site and i'm pretty sure i saw them on there?

415243[/snapback]

I think you are referring to valkyrie-factory, unfortunately last time I checked its gone. man I miss that and jawjaw's site!! Ah the good ol days

415337[/snapback]

gone? thats why you gotta right click any resources you find, one day its there, next day its gone. :( i'm sure someone here saved those images, hopefully they'll see this post and pass them along to graham or one of the mods to add to the homepage.

415463[/snapback]

I did save some from Valkyrie-Factory, JawJaw, and some others. I have some saved html pages too. I started saving when I started to see some sites go. I need to organize it though.

They 1/100 price is questionable. I wish the FP were included in the price. I do not needs stands or big boxes for display. I display out of box. I paid discounted prices for most of my Banprestos(5 or less) so that I have 27 for now. I hope to do the same with the 1/100 scale Toynami's. If the QC is there I will most likely get rid of some of my Banpresto's.

edit:

here is a way to look at some of the old thumnails.

Google Search images for www.me.umn.edu/~ngo

http://images.google.com/images?num=100&hs...F-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Edited by Mechafan

the fact that the fastpacks are sold seperately tottally sucks ass for these figures.... yea their okay figures... but having to pay extra for armor to make the toys look DECENT kinda blows....

any list price on the fastpacks?? they better be like $5.....

BTW I did suggest an alpha and connectable transformable beta for this line, so hopefully they take that into consideration since George Sohn said the MPC BETA probably won't come out.

Thanks I would love to see what could be done for mospeada in small scale. (whatever scale is big enough for PT)

The overall impression I get is that these are aimed at people who couldn't afford a yamato or want a small scale collection of valks. They are competing more against the banpresto than the yamato. (people who had thier minds set on the yammies are still going to continue buying them as if nothing happened)

For me I will be getting them to pose next to the 1/100 monster. (hoping they do the destroids or non transforming stuff - eg zentradi fighter pod for example with retractable gear.)

See the thing about small scale is it lets us see some of the more bigger mecha that ordinarily aren't really that complex or detailed that they would warrant a massive scale to begin with. (they end up being action figure size and easy to hold.)

If they try to vary what they release it increases the appeal of the 1/100 line and people are more likley to want to get into it. (to get matching scales)

Because I don't have much faith in QC for MPC or anything complex I think it could work for toynami since they need to consider thier limits. No point buying a MPC for loads of cash and then crying about how it is too fragile to transform or heavy to pose. If it falls apart, that defeats the purpose of wanting one imo. Sure they try to cram in the detail but since it is a transforming toy you need to handle it at least.

I think if they just start small, (enough detail for the size) and then gradually work thier way up to a large scale later, they might be able to pull off a proper MPC. (that is if the small stuff makes enough for them to go there and the QC improves)

This way if they get around to doing another batch of 1/55 they at least learn from the mistakes, and make improvements rather than repeating the mistakes, and hoping people just ignore the flaws.

As for price: I would love to hear people's impressions and reviews of it. Maybe even do a side by side comparison between this and the banpresto. Take the price into consideration and list improvements you would like to see in a toy for that price. (consider other similar scale non-macross transformable toys as a nice comparison with it in the review)

the fact that the fastpacks are sold seperately tottally sucks ass for these figures.... yea their okay figures... but having to pay extra for armor to make the toys look DECENT kinda blows....

any list price on the fastpacks?? they better be like $5.....

I agree. I would like to see fast packs as a bundle (discounted if bought with the valk) the way they did it for banprestos. I think it would be best to just have tv versions without FP like the CF, cheaper then the FP DYRL valks. I don't need a fancy Toynami box just for FP. And if they do a DYRL (without the FP) release, then make that as cheap as the tv valk without the fp.

GBP is another story. I could accept that as seperate. Small scale GBP next to a bunch of 1/100 destroids towered over by the monster would make a nice display.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Banprestos are smaller than 1/100 scale but somewhat larger than 1/144 although I think people just label them 1/144 out of convenience.

415657[/snapback]

Maybe they are 1/120? They are pretty small last time I saw them, which was a month ago.

Still to me 20$ does not sound bad, I look at these,and the similarly priced revoltechs, and can't help but thing these things have more bang for the buck.

Me personally though, I'd prefer a box so I could store all the accessories somewhere if I were to move or something.  With a blister card, that'd be difficult to do.

415512[/snapback]

the problem with this is, you end up ruining the boxes because you end up opening and closing them all the time. i did this with a couple of my 1/60 boxes and they started getting thrashed so i switched to labeled ziploc bags but that got annoying so i opted to get a bunch of these suckers. the great thing about it is, it helps keep the unused accessories seperated from the used ones. i try to use the same accessories all the time instead of using new ones which keeps my stuff minty as can be.

storage2nm.jpg

back to the topic at hand, i'm not at all upset that these are retailing for $20, i actually praised the price when these were first announced. i was excited about finally having cheaper smaller scale valks and not having to pay $100 of a 1/100 HCM. besides, if these are really craptastic, the people who are unhappy with them will dump them on ebay for next to nothing. these are the kind of toys you don't need to buy NEW as long as nothing is missing or broken, USED its fine by me. :)

I agree, haterist, but the HCMs were 1/72 scale, not 1/100.  ;)

415890[/snapback]

you know which one i'm talking about, its made by takatoku, you know the robotech one. :D

415896[/snapback]

Bandai also released that in DYRL as Hikaru's VF-1A/ Valkyrie factory used to have a comparison of the 1/55 vs the 1/100.

I am not dissapointed by the price on these 1/100 toynamis either, partially because the toy looks SO much better than the old school takatoku/bandai 1/100. Not to mention more articulated and can have ARMOR attached!

the problem with this is, you end up ruining the boxes because you end up opening and closing them all the time.  i did this with a couple of my 1/60 boxes and they started getting thrashed so i switched to labeled ziploc bags but that got annoying so i opted to get a bunch of these suckers.  the great thing about it is, it helps keep the unused accessories seperated from the used ones.  i try to use the same accessories all the time instead of using new ones which keeps my stuff minty as can be. 

storage2nm.jpg   

Cool idea on storing the various odd & end pieces mate!

I love it!

:)

Listen to you all complain now that you are so spoiled with your yamato valkyries. Imagine if theis was the old dark ages and there was no yamato to make everything all better. If this was before yamato came then these would be flying off the shelves. You've also got to remember that many people don't know about yamato and they will buy these because that is all they know or see a suncoast.

the problem with this is, you end up ruining the boxes because you end up opening and closing them all the time.  i did this with a couple of my 1/60 boxes and they started getting thrashed so i switched to labeled ziploc bags but that got annoying so i opted to get a bunch of these suckers.  the great thing about it is, it helps keep the unused accessories seperated from the used ones.  i try to use the same accessories all the time instead of using new ones which keeps my stuff minty as can be.  

storage2nm.jpg   

Cool idea on storing the various odd & end pieces mate!

I love it!

415968[/snapback]

i like the pilots section :D

Three years ago I had the privelage of checking out Nam's (Valkyrie Factory) Macross and toy collection in person when I was in Minneapolis. Very impressive!

The Valkyrie Factory has been down for some time and I know that Nam was planning on revamping it. But it's been quite a few months and if he has gotten married to his girlfriend by now it's hard to say when or if we'll see the Valkyrie Factory up again. The Valkyrie Factory was truly THE ultimate Macross toy site and it is surely missed. :(

i can't find the pics of the K&M figures....whats the name of that site that has scans of every macross toy known to man?  its not linked anywhere on the site and i'm pretty sure i saw them on there?

415243[/snapback]

I think you are referring to valkyrie-factory, unfortunately last time I checked its gone. man I miss that and jawjaw's site!! Ah the good ol days

415337[/snapback]

gone? thats why you gotta right click any resources you find, one day its there, next day its gone. :( i'm sure someone here saved those images, hopefully they'll see this post and pass them along to graham or one of the mods to add to the homepage.

415463[/snapback]

I did save some from Valkyrie-Factory, JawJaw, and some others. I have some saved html pages too. I started saving when I started to see some sites go. I need to organize it though.

They 1/100 price is questionable. I wish the FP were included in the price. I do not needs stands or big boxes for display. I display out of box. I paid discounted prices for most of my Banprestos(5 or less) so that I have 27 for now. I hope to do the same with the 1/100 scale Toynami's. If the QC is there I will most likely get rid of some of my Banpresto's.

edit:

here is a way to look at some of the old thumnails.

Google Search images for www.me.umn.edu/~ngo

http://images.google.com/images?num=100&hs...F-8&sa=N&tab=wi

415541[/snapback]

I'm late to this thread but I wanted to say that besides the clear canopy, it also looks like the position of the nose gear has moved back a little bit so it now looks a little more accurate.

For this size and scale, these look great. Can't wait to get these guys! :)

God damn these are looking good. These are going to make customizing a whole lot cheaper. Maybe one of our members here will come up with a retractable landing gear kit.

I'm sad not to see a cannon fodder displayed there at the con; I'd love to have at least three of those. Maybe they'll do a three pack? I also demand BATTLE PODS and POWER ARMOR. Hell, they could even do plain armored Zentraedi. Mmmm, fun list time.

Enemy Wave 1:

Regult

Armored Zentraedi

Flight Pod (I forget the name)

Enemy Wave 2:

Q Rau

N Ger

Glaug

Enemy Wave 3:

Scout Regult

Light Missile Regult

Heavy Missile Regult

Destroid Wave 1:

Defender

Tomahawk

Phalanx

Accessory Wave:

Spartan

Valkyrie Armor (sumo type)

Valkyrie Space Booster

I have to applaud toynami for making these things, they should have done something like this sooner. They give the casual fan something fun and afordable, while providing the hard core with something to customize. . . or display at work, whatever. I have been trying to predict the most likely retaill outlets for these new valks. Years ago I would have said Game Stop, but now all I can think of is Suncoast and maybe Tower. Any word on which retailers will cary these?

I say Walmart, Target and Toys R Us.

416726[/snapback]

Doubt it. From what I understand these will be sold in specialty and comic stores. places like Suncoast.

416891[/snapback]

more like odd jobs, odd lots, and overstock.com...and the discount rack at suncoast and gamestop. :lol:

more like odd jobs, odd lots, and overstock.com...and the discount rack at suncoast and gamestop.  :lol:

416896[/snapback]

That is how I got some of my Robotech stuff. Mospeada poseable for $2.50 from Gamestop. Robotech I-Men for $1.50 a piece at Suncoast.

You know what they'll probably do?  They'll probably release a combo VF-1S Hikaru and Strike Parts giftset later that won't be a convention exclusive.

416669[/snapback]

Now THAT would be a great idea.

416865[/snapback]

I hope so too!

You know what they'll probably do?  They'll probably release a combo VF-1S Hikaru and Strike Parts giftset later that won't be a convention exclusive.

416669[/snapback]

416865[/snapback]

I hope so too!

417033[/snapback]

you know what? I'll just ask when I go to the toynami booth at Comic Con. ;):D:p:lol:

416669[/snapback]

416865[/snapback]

I hope so too!

417033[/snapback]

you know what? I'll just ask when I go to the toynami booth at Comic Con. ;):D:p:lol:

417225[/snapback]

Please do. Importers in Southeast Asia (where I am) are charging an arm and a leg for this exclusive!