The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Thread

JValk

I can't believe I've become a haruhi fan...watched the 2 "seasons" and looking for the theatrical version of disappearance with no luck, reading the translations too.

I can't believe myself! Like Pete, I used to think this was "another anime for lolicons" (as if I had enough "mileage" to know what generic means)...until I heard more and saw the Adventures of Mikuru Asahina on youtube. I now even have a figma nagato yuki figure and another revoltech version with Shamisen.

I can't believe I've become a haruhi fan...watched the 2 "seasons" and looking for the theatrical version of disappearance with no luck, reading the translations too.

I can't believe myself! Like Pete, I used to think this was "another anime for lolicons" (as if I had enough "mileage" to know what generic means)...until I heard more and saw the Adventures of Mikuru Asahina on youtube. I now even have a figma nagato yuki figure and another revoltech version with Shamisen.

Hehe, welcome aboard!

I'm sure a lot of anime fans have been turned off by the hype and the moe reputation of this show initially, which is a shame but somehow it seems to convert people quite easily when they see the real deal. ^_^

Welcome to Haruhism...he..he...

I don't think it'll be possible to find a watchable version of "Dissapearance" until the dvd comes out in Japan. Let's hope that it comes out with subtitles in english like the 2nd season did.

Thanks for the welcome to haruhism!

I had no idea there was a M7 reference in the Haruhi TV series, until I saw the preview and laughed, pleasant surprise.

I just saw this interesting slideshow made with scans of the film strip, given away to moviegoers as souvenirs. And on this page you will find a two part cam rip of the entire movie, horrible quality, and I sadly could not contain myself, watched most bits with some fast forwarding.

As far as I can tell they've been very true to the novel.

Thanks for the welcome to haruhism!

I had no idea there was a M7 reference in the Haruhi TV series, until I saw the preview and laughed, pleasant surprise.

I just saw this interesting slideshow made with scans of the film strip, given away to moviegoers as souvenirs. And on this page you will find a two part cam rip of the entire movie, horrible quality, and I sadly could not contain myself, watched most bits with some fast forwarding.

As far as I can tell they've been very true to the novel.

I'd agree that it was very true tot he novel. Heck, in it's two hour, forty minute running time, I could've read the novel itself.

I've had ASOS brigades adventures up on my store website for two months (not there now). But as with everything else in Poland, getting people here into Haruhism is extremely hard. Then again, 4 years ago nobody here liked Gundam and Macross either - that's changed. But Haruhi will be difficult mainly because, beyond the moe reputation - there is also the "problem" that there are no giant transforming robots (although there is a space ship battle)...

Anyways, I remember the one anime convention I went to here (with my SOS-dan t-shirt), I heard from one dude that I'd be very popular in France. That was disheartening, since the basic premise was "people here are too dense to like Haruhi."

But then again, there WAS a girl cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya :-) Sometimes - that's enough ;)

Pete

Now Returning to the Obscurity of Non-Posting for a little while longer

I was surprised during my last trip to Paris a few weeks ago, I knew they'd be some manga, but there was a lot more than I expected. Haruhi Suzumiya novels were translated and officially published in French for example, together with a ton of other manga. I must admit, I am not so familiar with all, but so it happens that by living in Hong Kong, it is easier to stumble upon them and maybe one or two with catch my attention.

Eh..battleships? you mean that strategy game designed by the Computer Club guys?

I was surprised during my last trip to Paris a few weeks ago, I knew they'd be some manga, but there was a lot more than I expected. Haruhi Suzumiya novels were translated and officially published in French for example, together with a ton of other manga. I must admit, I am not so familiar with all, but so it happens that by living in Hong Kong, it is easier to stumble upon them and maybe one or two with catch my attention.

Eh..battleships? you mean that strategy game designed by the Computer Club guys?

"Day of the Sagitarious"

• 2 weeks later...
Bandai just announced that they've also licensed Disappearance!

::BLU-RAY BLU-RAY BLU-RAY BLU-RAY:::

Yup, read about it too. But as far as I understand it's been licensed for cinema release with no mention of a blu ray release, right?

Yup, read about it too. But as far as I understand it's been licensed for cinema release with no mention of a blu ray release, right?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-...haruhi-suzumiya

End of first paragraph: "Bang Zoom! Entertainment is co-producing the English-language adaptation, and a DVD release will ship at a date to be announced later."

So while there's no mention of Blu-ray specifically, there will be at least a DVD release.

• 3 weeks later...

I was fiddling around with my Tsuyara Figma and got out the Emily head.... I put it on the Mikuru body but it looked out of place and didn't really fit well.... I then went and put it on the Tsuyara body...

Anyways....

Looking at Emily's face... is SHE Tsuyara with a whig??? :o

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

In case you guys haven't heard yet, Bandai announced last week that they're also going to release the ONA series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya chan, & Nyoro~n Tsuruya chan in a 2 disc set sometime this summer.

Wait, what?? When was it released? I haven't heard anything.... of course.. I've been a bit busy with real life... laugh.gif

On an unrelated note though.. I saw this on Ngee Khiong's Blog... I have no idea if it was intentional or not... but now I want SOS Gundams. happy.gif

post-907-127502931847_thumb.jpg

And while on the subject of mecha.. I found this by accident and couldn't help cracking up at fact that this is exactly how I imagined that "End of Haruhi" bit earlier. :lol:

post-907-127502937656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

And while on the subject of mecha.. I found this by accident and couldn't help cracking up at fact that this is exactly how I imagined that "End of Haruhi" bit earlier. :lol:

post-907-127502937656_thumb.jpg

Somehow they all fit their EVA characters really well. Yuki would cosplay Rei like no one else!

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up because yep, it's that time of year again. laugh.gif Who wants to hang up wishes that we get a Disappearance release and the 10th novel this year?

There hasn't been much news recently, but the preview for novel 10 is sounding interesting. I can't find the actual text yet, but the summary is enough to get me very interested.

Apparently Disappearance has also been playing in a few select theaters, but I don't know where for sure, or how often. Anyone who went to AX hear anything new?

On that note, it's probably time I finished watching the second season. tongue.gif I only watched Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, and the first episode of Endless Eight before deciding I'd just wait for it to finish, then marathon both seasons in order.

Edit: I think I just nearly had a crossover aneuryism.. I went clicking through voice actor lists in a bit of random boredom...

Ok, so... Wendee Lee is Haruhi in the sub. She was also Vanessa in the original Robotech dub.

Aya Hirano was Mena Roshan in Frontier, one of the Quarter's bridge bunnies.

Mind = blown. :wacko:

So, now have SOS Bridge Bunnies running through my head.

Along those same lines though... I now have this sudden curiosity to hear Aya Hirano play Minmay in a Macross: The First anime. :ph34r:

Edited by Chronocidal

For those who haven't heard yet, check out your favorite importer, and you'll see both seasons of Haruhi in one bluray set this October for about $300/$400 (depending on where you go).

So tempting, but still so damned expensive. I'm torn on whether or not I can afford it smile.gif As for dissapearance, it actually was officially licensed by Bandai, it's just a matter of when we'll get it.

Edited by Keith

Holy... $300-$400??? How can it be that much? I mean, the whole series costs, what, maybe $100 for both seasons on dvd? I know I saw season 1 for about $40 a while back.

Unless this is some ultra-super-extra-special-with-cookies version that includes a complete set of the novels, Haruhi-Chan, a bluray of the movie, and a complete set of SOS Figmas, I almost can't imagine what would make it cost so much. I mean, it's only twenty eight episodes about 25 min in length.. maybe each box set comes with a random real-life wearable copy of one of Mikuru's outfits? :blink:

Unless of course, this is like the ultra-completist edition, and they include separate copies of the episodes in all the different variations they aired. That would give you...

1. Original broadcast version of Season 1 with Kyon/Haruhi argument teasers

2. Second version of Season 1 in chronological order with Yuki Descriptions and any changes made at that point

3. Second broadcast version of extended season 1 episodes with season 2 interlaced

What I almost wish they could do was put all the episodes on one disc, and just let you pick the order to view them in, and which version of the episodes and teasers to watch (original, edited, or rebroadcast). But that'd be asking a llittle much to fit on one disc I suppose.

Then imagine the extras they might have...

-Sing-alongs for all the songs, maybe karaoke tracks

-Dance-along instructional videos (kind of a no-brainer actually)

-original and translated commentary tracks

-art galleries

-music galleries

-included SOS armbands/shirts :lol:

etc..

I suppose they could bundle Haruhi-Chan with it, considering it's due to get a full release too, I think. And come to think of it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bundle some of the main soundtrack albums with the box set, and I'd be much more likely to pick it up that way, especially if it contains the orchestrated one, "Suzumiya Haruhi No Gensou."

Holy... $300-$400??? How can it be that much? I mean, the whole series costs, what, maybe $100 for both seasons on dvd? I know I saw season 1 for about $40 a while back.

Unless this is some ultra-super-extra-special-with-cookies version that includes a complete set of the novels, Haruhi-Chan, a bluray of the movie, and a complete set of SOS Figmas, I almost can't imagine what would make it cost so much. I mean, it's only twenty eight episodes about 25 min in length.. maybe each box set comes with a random real-life wearable copy of one of Mikuru's outfits? :blink:

It's actually very cheap (relatively speaking) for a full anime season on Blu-ray. Kyoani's other Blu-ray season boxes like Clannad and Kanon cost around 55,000 yen (around $600) per 24 episodes.

Japanese anime DVDs/Blurays just cost so much more as they target a very small market. Haruhi was an absolute record selling title for a late-night-anime in the mid 2000s by selling around 40,000 DVDs. We've debated anime pricing of original Japanese material before in other threads, some accept those prices, some won't.

Edited by Bri

Honestly, I'm already planning on picking up Blue Sub 6 on bluray when it comes out, and I'm sporatically picking up Frontier bluray volumes, I may just wait and see if Haruhi eventually gets a U.S. bluray release.

Honestly, I'm already planning on picking up Blue Sub 6 on bluray when it comes out, and I'm sporatically picking up Frontier bluray volumes, I may just wait and see if Haruhi eventually gets a U.S. bluray release.

I'm hoping they'll come around to that too. I think Haruhi Suzumiya is been popular enough in the West to merit such a release.

The japanese blu rays are just a bit too highly priced for my budget. I actually enquired from my supplier how much it would cost me to get Legend of Galactic Heroes on blu ray, and granted it is 110 episodes, but $2800 for the 4 boxes is juuuuussst a tad much.

• 1 month later...