Robotech: Love and War #4 Cover Image

crasis

Is this from some sort of "alternate history," where Max had his vf-1a painted in his later 1j's paint scheme, or a careless coloring error that no one caught? Either way, I couldn't believe this went to print. I try and try not to be as tough on Robotech as some of you are around here (after all, it pointed me in the right direction those many years ago), but so far their recent efforts (toys and comics of the macross saga era anyway) have been quite careless and shoddy, to say the least.

:unsure:

post-26-1065416329_thumb.jpg

Umm... yeah.

Max flying a VF-1A with his VF-1J Paintscheme?

Aforementioned VF-1A looking like a cross between a Superposeable (bad torso) and ones of those horrid 5-foot monstrosities Toynami put out (really bad legs)?

A cover artist who thinks that the missiles are fired from the THRUST EXHAUST NOZZLES of the Q-Rau?

Good lord, do these comics blow.

I thought that HG wasn't very serious about the Macross franchise, but after seeing crap like this released, I guess they're probably not very serious about the RT franchise- or pleasing it's fanbase- as well!

What's even better is Gamepro's glowing review which leads me to ask: "What the heck are those guys smokin'?"

Yeah, Udon's horribly malformed characters and 5th grade style mecha are definitely the best of the genre!!! No one else can compete!!!

I almost think that Gamepro's reviewers are either A- Getting paid off, or B- getting some serious reacharound action from either Udon or HG in order to write a review that screwed up.

I also try not to be too hard on Robotech, but HG should stop giving the artists Super Posables as reference models. The proportions are horribly off. Or, it could be a marketing ploy to encourage sale of SP's. Perhaps they're hoping to brainwash newbies into thinking that this is how Veritechs should look and that the 1/48's are an abomination. :lol:

[shameless self promotion mode]

If HG/Udon was smart, they'd hire the guy who drew this to do their covers:

MaxM3_MW_friendl_version.jpg

[/shameless self promotion mode]

:rolleyes:

Seriously, I know I screw up my drawings a lot. And I do still post them. But I'm always the first to point out my mistakes and I sure as hell don't call them "professional" or expect people to pay money for them!

Geez.

I try not to be too hard on RT ( :D ) but seriously, the only thing that seperates this new stuff from the original RT comics (I'm talkin' about the Old, old school ones) is the coloring. The actual drawings are just as crappy, only now they're exploiting "Exciting Poses" (circa 1996) for the VF's. Gah...

post-9-1064987226_thumb.jpg

Personally....

I couldnt give a good g@dda@mn if they fragged up the color schemes of every mecha in the show. The story's SUCK! Who give a f$ck if they look nice. I (and Im NOT alone on this) am sick of the shaft that The Robotech Masters segment is getting (specifically The Army of the Southern Cross). <_<

The stories are BAD rehashes of sh@t from the Tv show that in turns violates the Tv series continuity because Tommy has said he doesnt give a rip about the continuity. The only saving grace is that even the comics cannot retcon the show...as the show has been declared what is canon...and that it is to be the gospel when the comics diverge (which they do). Wolfe being in his 50's when he bites the bullet in 2043 is asinine.

Tommy has a twisted vision of the show and that is unfortunate. I dont give a rip if he thinks the ASC is the defacto Anti-Unification League...that ISNT the series and that ISNT good story telling. Its the same sh@t that was in McKinney and that was decanonized...so it make litte sense for me to even give the comics the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

:rolleyes:

Seriously, I know I screw up my drawings a lot. And I do still post them. But I'm always the first to point out my mistakes and I sure as hell don't call them "professional" or expect people to pay money for them!

Geez.

I try not to be too hard on RT ( :D ) but seriously, the only thing that seperates this new stuff from the original RT comics (I'm talkin' about the Old, old school ones) is the coloring. The actual drawings are just as crappy, only now they're exploiting "Exciting Poses" (circa 1996) for the VF's. Gah...

Love your work. BTW does anyone have one of those Macross Linearts which shows how the cutlass transforms?

I'll admit that I enjoyed the first Wildstorm Robotech miniseries because at least it had a new story. I understand HG's desire to restructure the Robotech continuity and don't have a problem with it. To be honest, not a lot of thought was given to continuity when they first hacked the three seperate series together, and I appreciate attempts to fix it.

Love & War is not holding my interest as there are far too many scenes recycled from the TV series - especially ones that are supposed to be suspenseful. Let's face it, we all know how this miniseries is going to end.

I've also been reading comics long enough to know that artistic inaccuraries are a fact of life, and should *never* be the deciding factor when computing one's enjoyment of a series.

The only part of Love & War I liked were the 2 or 3 pages early on that showed Dan & Bowie evacuating Earth...

Edited by Phil

Honestly I'm with 1st Border Red Devil on this. I liked the first mini-series but didn't care for the ending that much to be honest. Love and War borders on horrible in my opinion. While I still really like the art and the coloings, mistakes are bound to happen but this was reported ahead of time and it still wasn't changed, the story sucks. This story was told during the series, scenes from the series were done in their own way instead of how they were done in the show. When I thought they were going to explore Max and Miriya's romance I was thinking maybe it would take place during the reconstration era of the Macross Saga/SDF Macross. A part of the story where we see very little of them other then in a few key episodes. Personally that's what I would have done and dropped the Minmei story completely. It serves no purpose other then to actually ruin the length of the Max and Miriya story with its pressence.

Seriously not thing new is happening here. It was nice to see Dana and Bowie at the beginning of the comics but that's where the good, in my opinion, ends as far as this series is concerned. The transition between times is choppy as well. No statements saying they are jumping ahead a few hours, hours or even days.

Oh well I could care less about these comics. That seems to be clear of a lot of fans as the sales of these comics drop with every issue. They should be in the teen thousands now(18k, etc as an example). Granted I don't like the comics, I don't want to see them doing that bad but its HG and more importantly Yune's fault cause of the lackluster story telling and actually doing stories that matter and that would explain more things. Instead we get this.

Macross Universe has been getting more attention from me anyway. I just like chatting there because of the friends I've made. It still upsets me that Southern Cross gets the short end of the stick. If it and New Generation were pushed as much as the Macross Saga and payed more attention it would be racking in just as much money but then it would force HG to leave Macross alone.

Sorry for getting a little off topic.

Is this from some sort of "alternate history," where Max had his vf-1a painted in his later 1j's paint scheme, or a careless coloring error that no one caught? Either way, I couldn't believe this went to print. I try and try not to be as tough on Robotech as some of you are around here (after all, it pointed me in the right direction those many years ago), but so far their recent efforts (toys and comics of the macross saga era anyway) have been quite careless and shoddy, to say the least.

:unsure:

I've discovered that after a while there's no point in pointing out what's gone wrong in the RT universe. No matter how the fans feel, HG will shaft them some way or another out of sheer carelessness. The guys at the top of HG really just don't care what they do or how the fans feel so long as they get $$$. After I came to terms with that fact I gave up entirely on Robotech and got over it. Glad I did tho. less of a headache and I can pay mroe attention to better series where at least some thought did go into it's continuity. :)

Meh. Aside from the pretty colors, the artwork isn't that much better than the old Comico days. <_<

Do you own any of those Comico issues? I don't think you remember how bad they were.

In defense of the artist of that RT cover....he's making do really with the best he's got. Im pretty sure that Long Vo( the cover artist) has STRONG macross influences....even so when his roomate/mentor "Duc Tran" did the Robotech Vermillion comic years ago for antarctic press....these guys are more figure artists and not much of mech afficionados, hence inaccuracies. Saka(colorist) is usually an amazing colorist...but i think maybe HG had a say in how things are portrayed...even in RT Vermillion comic miniseries "Duc Tran/Locke" treid to put as many macross references...i was even there in his drawing room, with a monkey firmly on his desk and footage from Digital Mission VF-X on repeat. Not to mention M7 sountracks blasting.....but the publisher may have final say on the content and look...I've met these guys in person and Tran/Locke was also a mentor of mine...so maybe don't be hard on them, even though I don't really like Vo's style of drawing.

On the other hand, I am kinda disgusted when I read the RT boards discussion details from the comic/animation story continuity, since none of it is applicable.....its like willfully subscribing to lies when the truth is just as close...even if the comics are bad....i wish they'd really try to capture the feeling of macross in the story....because maybe a Macross->Robotech conversion yields a so-so result.....BUT

I think its far worse to have a Macross->Robotech->Robotech conversion....bad news.

If the guy's not a good mecha artist, get someone who is and have them collaborate on the covers.

Don't send an orangutan to do a chimpanzee's job, and vice-versa.

I can understand if Long Vo is more of a figure artist and less of a mecha artist. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But then the fact remains that he shouldn't be the person drawing mecha on the cover of a mecha-intensive comic.

Edited by the white drew carey

The hands are appropriate for TV series, I think. The Q-Rau firing off the missles even though the missle hatches are closed and the missles appear to be shooting out of the exhaust vents are kind of funny. I'm wondering if the artist even watch the scenes in the series to get an idea of what happen or did he just make it up?

vinnie

Yea sure...

as if the comics weren't doing bad enough. I wonder if it has occured to Tommy that its time to move on from The Macross Saga? <_<

Wait, there's more to Robotech than just The Macross Saga!? :o

;) I totally agree with BRD, someday we can hope... Hell, even ANTARCTIC did a Southern Cross story. Only one though.. Same with Academy, and the closest Malibu got was The Malcontent's Uprising.

Yea sure...

as if the comics weren't doing bad enough. I wonder if it has occured to Tommy that its time to move on from The Macross Saga?  <_<

Wait, there's more to Robotech than just The Macross Saga!? :o

Actually... no.

The Cutlass (indeed) kicks @ss! Awesome illustration IMHO. ;)

~G25