Robotech: Love and War #4 Cover Image

crasis

Love your work. BTW does anyone have one of those Macross Linearts which shows how the cutlass transforms?

Well I have some time after all, here you go...

Thanks! Gee that looks complex.

Well, what do you expect. Look at RT 2004....no new information, and whenever anyone asks for any over there they get dogpiled on.

Yes and no....

Hey fans,

We have not forgotten your desire to hear more about the R2K4 project. Once we provide more information, your wait will have been worth it.

Tom Bateman

ROBOTECH.COM

From what little Ive gathered...the series IS in production. One of the reasons for the long delay with no news was that the series was still in preproduction....which is ok with me. I would rather the series have an extended preproduction so that they get the kinks worked out. That was one of the largest problems with The Sentinels was the fact that it had almost no preproduction. Thats why the stories left something to be desired.

We'll see. The direction the comics are going in has me worried about how the series will turn out. Honestly thought while I am looking forward to the new series, really not as much as before, I'm really more interested in the what the new series by SK is going to be and seeing how Macross Zero is going to end. But that's getting off topic, lets get back to the comic and the wrong coloring.

Interesting this is after the comic went on sale RT.com put up a image of the cover with the correct coloring.

http://www.robotech.com/gallery/galimage/v...mage.php?id=671

GIM_671_2_3845.jpg

Due to an unforeseen mixup, this variant cover was never published. Look closely and note that Max's VF-1A features a unique color scheme. The preliminary version that actually ended up getting printed used his VF-1J color scheme.
Edited by Effect

As far as I'm concerned, until I see it on TV, Robotech 2004 is the cartoon equivalent of vaporware. Any other production would have announced something by now, but as usual the HG brigade is pulling it's usual stunts by coyly telling fans "R2k4? Ohh...you'll see. *snicker* You'll see."

As far as I'm concerned, until I see it on TV, Robotech 2004 is the cartoon equivalent of vaporware. Any other production would have announced something by now, but as usual the HG brigade is pulling it's usual stunts by coyly telling fans "R2k4? Ohh...you'll see. *snicker* You'll see."

Thats called bad marketing. What they are doing is, they are waiting till 1 month before RT hits TV to start hyping it, expecting its former power to help push it in such short notice, so they expect that by the end of the week its announced, RT is in everyones mind.

Unless the show is outstanding... it will only be swallowed by the wave of anime hitting the US right now. And its a pretty bad idea if you ask me.... it will be competing with Gundam SEED, its not a battle they can hope to win. <_<

There aren't even character concepts, early design concepts, voice cast, the story, anything. In my opinion... it won't be out in 2004.

i used to buy both cover variants from this series but lately i find 1 out of the 2 to be completely hideous. some of you may know that i am an RT supporter but even I cannot in good consciousness support the subpar art work that is being produced. thankfully at least one of the covers is decent enough to pickup :|

Due to an unforeseen mixup, this variant cover was never published. Look closely and note that Max's VF-1A features a unique color scheme. The preliminary version that actually ended up getting printed used his VF-1J color scheme.

IE- Someone screwed up.

"Variant Cover" my ass. :lol:

No, sir! The EDSEL isn't a horrible mistake! It's a Variant Automobile!

:rolleyes:

Edited by the white drew carey

Thats called bad marketing. What they are doing is, they are waiting till 1 month before RT hits TV to start hyping it, expecting its former power to help push it in such short notice, so they expect that by the end of the week its announced, RT is in everyones mind.

Agreed. They rely far too much on the fans anticipation, instead of actually selling the product.

Sounds like nickpicking to me............

If it was just the hands, then I'd agree. The paint job is pretty major, though. I'm glad they redid it with the correct colours. Still, the missles firing out of Millia's exhaust pipes is the equivelant of someone drawing a guy firing a gun, but with the shots firing out from the targeting scope.

Unless the show is outstanding... it will only be swallowed by the wave of anime hitting the US right now. And its a pretty bad idea if you ask me.... it will be competing with Gundam SEED, its not a battle they can hope to win. <_<

There aren't even character concepts, early design concepts, voice cast, the story, anything. In my opinion... it won't be out in 2004.

I couldn't agree more to be honest. I have felt that way for the longest time and don't see my opinion changing anytime soon.

Edited by Effect

Sounds like nickpicking to me............

Nah... it's not nitpicking. It's outright criticism of the poor quality of the artwork. :D

Speaking of which, in regards to the Q-Rau on the cover- Do you think the artist had the common decency to at least trace the original, or do you think they used the cheap-o shortcuts they've utilized before and just cut & pasted it the original source material*?

*as seen on page 172 of Perfect Memory, as well as other Macross and RT-related materials.

Speaking of which, in regards to the Q-Rau on the cover- Do you think the artist had the common decency to at least trace the original, or do you think they used the cheap-o shortcuts they've utilized before and just cut & pasted it the original source material*?

*as seen on page 172 of Perfect Memory, as well as other Macross and RT-related materials.

Hence my earlier comparison to the Comico series. Nearly 3/4 of the mecha in those rags were "traced" from the line art.

i think you're misreading it (or i'm misreading you). they're not claiming that the wrong colour scheme is a variant issue. they are saying the second cover (ie. the variant issue; each RT comic has an A and a B cover) was improperly coloured.

IE- Someone screwed up.

IMO they look worse when they do this. They should just ignore their mistake. It almost makes them look like they spend their days reading MW, and once they saw this thread... :mellow:

We'll see. The direction the comics are going in has me worried about how the series will turn out. Honestly thought while I am looking forward to the new series, really not as much as before, I'm really more interested in the what the new series by SK is going to be and seeing how Macross Zero is going to end. But that's getting off topic, lets get back to the comic and the wrong coloring.

Why didn't they photoshop the correct open missle hatches onto Miriya's Quadrano while they were at it? Everything they do is half-assed and always will be.

Edited by Jemstone

i think you're misreading it (or i'm misreading you). they're not claiming that the wrong colour scheme is a variant issue. they are saying the second cover (ie. the variant issue; each RT comic has an A and a B cover) was improperly coloured.

It looks to me like they're saying the variant cover was never published.

The cover doesn't look that bad. To the casual fan it looks good enough. The fanboys will always find something to bitch about. If that showed up in the fanworks section here at MW I'd bet you'd all be raving about it. Especially with the messed up paint job of the Max VF-1A. That would probably considered a great idea or cool custom pic.

Grow the F**K up already <_<

The cover doesn't look that bad. To the casual fan it looks good enough. The fanboys will always find something to bitch about. If that showed up in the fanworks section here at MW I'd bet you'd all be raving about it. Especially with the messed up paint job of the Max VF-1A. That would probably considered a great idea or cool custom pic.

I'll tell you what I'm sick and tired of: People always pining in saying "If it was in the fan art section you'd rave about it!"

A-Face it. In the opinion of many people here, the artwork sucks.

The "Veritech" looks like crap and is incredibly ill-proportioned. The Q-Rau has some serious mechanical issues in regards to it's missiles. The only well drawn thing on the page IS the Q-Rau because it's cut and pasted from the original Japanese material. The artist couldn't even take the time to draw the it himself... And that's what he gets paid to do!!!

With every cover I've stated that I like the coloring work and this one is no exception. It's the drawings themselves which blow chunks. The problem we have with the paintscheme is their simple inability to follow an extremely easy continuity. Without knowing who's fault it is, we can't really blame anyone specific. But it's still an incredibly bad error.

B- Moving on to your statement about the Fan Works- Yes, we rave for the fan works.

Why? Not always because they're always good. We give major kudos to the fan art submissions because someone drew it simply for their own personal enjoyment and the love of Macross. We provide constructive criticism which has helped many of our fan artists (including myself) on their next project. And we eagerly anticipate their next work.

Not because the do it for pay, and not because they have to.

If this picture were done by BoB, Bake-Art, >EXO< or any one of our members, I would comment on the extremely poor quality of the VF. But I wouldn't rip into them because they are not expecting the luxury of money for their work.

Meanwhile, these chodes a Udon are supposed to be Professionals and yet can't even get their details straight.

Do you now understand why we praise the Fan Art and yet lambast the "professional" work?

Grow the F**K up already  <_<

Right... that's pretty mature.

But of course! The fan works section is just that.... fan works. No one there claims to be a professional. <_<

Hehe, are you guys kidding? people are pretty crude in the fanarts section when they want to. I received some comments that weren't even considered "constructive". If you're going to claim to be an 'artist', you'd have to take all that with a grain of salt, especially in a field where fanboyism is rampant.

I don't think there's a problem getting artist that are true Macross/RT fans that could draw acurately. I just don't believe HG/WS is willing to pay or look for them. Why get someone that is good at figure drawing in a mecha heavy series? have you seen Udon's figures? They suck!

Great colors though...

I'll tell you what I'm sick and tired of: People always pining in saying "If it was in the fan art section you'd rave about it!"

I'm guilty for saying this before... but this was due to people trying to pick apart Yune's drawing more because they were anti-RT...

The "Veritech" looks like crap and is incredibly ill-proportioned. The Q-Rau has some serious mechanical issues in regards to it's missiles. The only well drawn thing on the page IS the Q-Rau because it's cut and pasted from the original Japanese material. The artist couldn't even take the time to draw the it himself... And that's what he gets paid to do!!!

With every cover I've stated that I like the coloring work and this one is no exception. It's the drawings themselves which blow chunks. The problem we have with the paintscheme is their simple inability to follow an extremely easy continuity. Without knowing who's fault it is, we can't really blame anyone specific. But it's still an incredibly bad error.

B- Moving on to your statement about the Fan Works- Yes, we rave for the fan works.

Why? Not always because they're always good. We give major kudos to the fan art submissions because someone drew it simply for their own personal enjoyment and the love of Macross. We provide constructive criticism which has helped many of our fan artists (including myself) on their next project. And we eagerly anticipate their next work.

If this picture were done by BoB, Bake-Art, >EXO< or any one of our members, I would comment on the extremely poor quality of the VF. But I wouldn't rip into them because they are not expecting the luxury of money for their work.

Meanwhile, these chodes a Udon are supposed to be Professionals and yet can't even get their details straight.

Do you now understand why we praise the Fan Art and yet lambast the "professional" work?

Grow the F**K up already <_<

And like I said the fanboys will always find something to bitch about.

If that was a Mikimoto or Kawamori drawing, the MW fanboy squad would be drooling. Sorry its true.

EDIT Added Kawamori

Edited by dejr8bud

Its Art (sort of). some people will love it, some will hate it. some people thing Monet is great, some think hes absolute crap. some people like Robert Frost, some don't. disagreements over it are common. not liking something because its not pleasing to the eye doesn't necessarily make one a "Raving Fanboy".

If that was a Mikimoto or Kawamori drawing, the MW fanboy squad would be drooling. Sorry its true.

EDIT Added Kawamori

translation:

"Oh Noes!!1 My "fan works" analogy didn't work so let me pull another one out of my ass."

No. If that were a Kawamori or Mikimoto drawing, everyone would be complaining how they were slipping.

Sorry its true.

Vostok 7

EDIT Added Kawamori

translation:

"Oh Noes!!1 My "fan works" analogy didn't work so let me pull another one out of my ass."

No. If that were a Kawamori or Mikimoto drawing, everyone would be complaining how they were slipping.

Sorry its true.

Vostok 7

Yup! The VF-0 gets a lot of crap too...

"why does it look more futuristic than the VF-1?" "why does it have a better looking cockpit?" "What kind of crack is Kawamori on?"

No one can escape the MW fanboy scourn!

NO ONE!!!

Not even the great froating head...

:lol:

Its Art (sort of). some people will love it, some will hate it. some people thing Monet is great, some think hes absolute crap. some people like Robert Frost, some don't. disagreements over it are common. not liking something because its not pleasing to the eye doesn't necessarily make one a "Raving Fanboy".

Disagreements are fine. Constructive criticism is ok with me but on MW whining and nitpicking is the norm.

Disagreements are fine. Constructive criticism is ok with me but on MW whining and nitpicking is the norm.

Hate to jump into an issue that I don't really care about, but that isn't fair. The gripes are real and grounded and I wouldn't consider what is going on here as whining... now what goes on in the Toy forum, that is a different story.

Grow the F**K up already <_<

EDIT Added Kawamori

Better to have ppl criticizing something contructively then having a bunch of fanboys that have orgasms over every little piece of art. B)

IMO.... Mikimito is overrated crap. Kawamori did the VF1 and the VF19... thats it. Most of his non Macross shows suck, and you know how I feel about Macross Zero and 7. The only thing I would atribute Kawamori to is good mechanical design. <_<

Hate to jump into an issue that I don't really care about, but that isn't fair. The gripes are real and grounded and I wouldn't consider what is going on here as whining... now what goes on in the Toy forum, that is a different story.

I believe that the critism on this thread holds up. But I also see what dejr8bud is saying as true. If they would've hired someone that draws like Mikimoto, then they'll be taken down as a wannabe and unoriginal.

IMO, some comic books SHOULD be treated like animation. You give the artist lineart and tell them to follow it. But instead we have a bunch of kids who consider themselves rock stars and their interpretation of the product is way off from what it's suppose to be. If that artist wants to be original, then start your own comic book with your own designs.

In Japan most of the creators have their own books. And they stick to it until it's done. Here in the U.S. we have a bunch of contract players jumping from one high profile gig to another. Even artist with their own creations can't sit still and finish what they've started. Example, Joe Maduriera. He starts Battle Chasers and decides that he doesn't need to finish it because he enjoys video games more. Crap like tht wouldn't fly in Japan, I don't care how good you are.

Back to the problem that is Robotech. What I guess I'm trying to say is that Udon, and the fact that they suck, is not the problem. The only way to make it work is to get a program (an outline for your project), a good all encompassing story, a definite look for both your characters and mecha (lineart and color schemes), and tell the freaking story. For god's sake, get a good editor that looks at boththe artwork and the continuity.

But what do I know?... for as we type these things could be flying off the shelves...