Toys You Always Wanted

Okay time to share. I'm sure when you were young there were some toys that really caught your fancy but no matter how much you begged they never bought them for you. Did you eventually find these toys as an adult or still searching?

Some of mine:

A Bandai 1/55 VF-1

The price was affordable back then but for some reason they made me get Matchbox crap. One Xmas I got enough Matchbox Robotech toys to equal the price a VF-1. Never did get a one. Got a Jetfire as an adult and a Yamato.

Any Gijoe figure from 1983 or 1984

They decided I would collect Star Wars when I wanted Joes. I eventually nearly got all of the figures from this two years.

The Terror Dome

Too expensive they say and well now it really is too expensive.

Tomax & Xamot Figures

Their excuse? Too expensive considering it is the same figure. I ended my

buying myself loose.

That Spiderman Ski-mask in the sears catalog

Was it that expensive? You want me face to freeze?

jazz transformer, alaways saw it in the catalog but never in any stores near me

the original superposeable spiderman figure, my friend had it, again, never saw it in stores

the supersoaker that had the big backpack watersupply, too expensive

and my parents were always afraid of springloaded projectiles so i missed out on alot of those

Back when I was in the 5th grade 8 years ago, I always wanted a green VF-1 Valkyrie when I first fell in love with Robotech/Macross and saw it for the first time on CN old school Toonami. I also wanted that green and purple Transformers tank Megatron action figure 12 years ago. I'll think of more toy's later......

First off, great topic, bringing back some memories for sure. Secondly here's the brief rundown of the ones that got away from me as a kid:

1. The mammoth USS Flagg Aircraft Carrier from GI Joe. During Christmas the year this was released my local Sears had one of these in a display window with Skystrikers and all. Talk about clever marketing.

2. The original Star Wars AT-AT Walkers. Back when the original line was coming to a close that very same Sears had a Hoth diorama set up with two or three of these beasts gunning down some poor rebel troopers. I barely remembered the movie at that age but that image hasn't left me since.

and last but not least,

3. The Megaforce Goliath: Mobile Battle Headquarters. This was the biggest vehicle released in the line. I owned just about all of the other large vehicles in this line and i remember having some large scale battles between the two armies with these giant vehicles as the staging points for their respective armies (V-Rox "Nato" and Triax "Warsaw Pact"). It was such a highly detailed line of toys and i really loved them, but around the time the Goliath came out i was getting more involved with youth sports and for that matter video games when i was at home so my parents decided to donate most of my toys to Charity at Christmas time. There was no way i could rally them to buy me one last Megaforce vehicle and both of my armies ended up losing their never-ending war without a shot fired in the final battle. <_<

Edited by Veritas

Toys, ...............I missed out when Lazer Tag first came out. Everyone in my neighborhood had one. I wanted the Rifle real bad and a Star Base, managed to buy a rifle at K Bee Toys and stashed it at a friends house but that didn't last long and had to return it. The closest thing I came to getting one was when Survivor Shot first came out, they worked with the original Lazer Tag Guns. This was in my late teens years after Lazer Tag went under, but the guys from the neighborhood still had their Lazer Tag stuff so I was finally able to play.

As a child, i never expected much in the form of presents and toys cause my parents stinge on toys. I only got one (or 2) annually from birthdays. On the rest of the 355 days, i'll just "pretend" i had them toys i wished i had by burning their images into my mind when reading catalogues and looking behind boxes at the toy department. (early symptoms of future adult obsession :lol: )

Anyway these were the ones i thought they SHOULD'VE considered for my birthday toys.

Optimus Prime by Hasbro

Too expensive they said. But almost every kid on the block has one! :(

Rhino from M.A.S.K by Kenner

Badass toy which can "ram" any other MASK toy out of the table.

Starmax bomber from Starcom

MAGNA-LOCK....ON!

and this is a dream come true, and i know i'll never get it:

Fortress Maximus by Hasbro

1 word. HUGE.

Edited by wolfx

and this is a dream come true, and i know i'll never get it:

Fortress Maximus by Hasbro

1 word. HUGE.

403199[/snapback]

Dang Wolf, how could i have forgotten Fort Max of all the toys heh. Truth is as a kid i never knew he existed i never once saw him in the stores, or on TV and i never saw any of my friends with one either. Only after i hit my teens did one of my friends bring up the subject of him and ever since i've wanted one as well. Not too long ago i picked up the repainted Brave Max they released in the Car Robots line (RID over here), and as much as i love it, it's still not the original. Oh well.

OK, I'm back with some more toys:

AT-ST walker from Star Wars Kenner

Millenium Falcon by Kenner

Super Soaker XP-150

Fat Green Game Boy

Micro Machines Night Attack Playset

All of the Star Wars Micro Machines Playset and the Military Micro Machines

Double Dragon Dragon Mobile from the DD cartoon

Vinnies Red Bike from Biker Mice from Mars

F/A-18 Hornet and Alien Attacker from ID4

Power Rangers MegaZorda and DragonZord

........and like always, more on the way when I think of more

I'm sure there were many toys, but I'm more than happy with my collection of crap nowadays. :D

Oh wait I wanted a Han Solo frozen in carbonite block from the Star Wars toy line, but they were out of production by the time I was old enough to want one. :p

I wanted a refit Starship Enterprise toy, but they didn't make any good ones when I was a kid. I never liked the small metal and plastic ones, then later the micromachines plastic ones were too small. Then Art Asylum came out with that nice big one which I bought and is awaiting me to open it back at my parents.

Wanted various Transformers toys, I got some, others... well I'm glad I didn't get more, because it always pissed me off that they could only transform and they couldnt really pose in their various forms.

I always wanted a good lightsaber toy. Not the flashlight ones with the plastic tube, I had those and broke those. :p I wanted something good which didn't exist yet. Now I have an FX lightsaber, hot damn am I pleased. :D

3.  The Megaforce Goliath: Mobile Battle Headquarters.  This was the biggest vehicle released in the line.  I owned just about all of the other large vehicles in this line and i remember having some large scale battles between the two armies with these giant vehicles as the staging points for their respective armies (V-Rox "Nato" and Triax "Warsaw Pact").  It was such a highly detailed line of toys and i really loved them, but around the time the Goliath came out i was getting more involved with youth sports and for that matter video games when i was at home so my parents decided to donate most of my toys to Charity at Christmas time.  There was no way i could rally them to buy me one last Megaforce vehicle and both of my armies ended up losing their never-ending war without a shot fired in the final battle.  <_<

403196[/snapback]

Megaforce! That's a pretty cool line. It had little miniature die cast military vehicles and the action sets were bigger tanks, planes etc that opened up and you could launch your smaller die cast tanks, helis, ICBMs, jets, VTOLS from. That line was pretty short lived though iirc.

I on the other hand suprisingly have the Goliath, which made me the happiest kid evar. The huge thing had everything u ever needed to wage war. In normal mode it was a huge ass tank with tank deployment ramps on the sides. When deployed, the thing becomes a huge mobile land-based aircraft carrier, with runways, a deployable mine sweeper (which has a cool gimmick to deploy a small die cast tank onto the ground) and a mega cool control tower.The control tower has 2 turrets beneath the 2 helipads . You can park tanks along the height of the control tower which had little compartments, and the tanks are deployed or parked with an elevator!

This thing i could say was the best toy i ever had as a kid. It was detailed as hell and the designers really went through every detail on how to make a kid's play fun. I'm sorry you didn't get it, Veritas. I still have it now, but as it was inherited to my little bro, it fell literally to pieces. A sad shadow of its former self. :(

Back when I was in the 5th grade 8 years ago, I always wanted a green VF-1 Valkyrie when I first fell in love with Robotech/Macross and saw it for the first time on CN old school Toonami.

*shudders at the thought of ANY Toonami being considered "old-school"*

Let's see...

The die-cast lion Voltron set. I never got past Yellow and Green. And they broke.

Sky Lynx. Saw it on a shelf, thought it looked awesome. Didn't get it.

Optimus Prime. I got PowerMaster Prime, and then the Gen2 reissue, but it wasn't the same. Mainly because I was a heck of a lot older, and a hell of a lot less forgiving of a toy with such limited articulation.

Jetfire. I got one from a friend much later, but it looks like he lost a duel with Starscream. His armor's broken, his gun is gone, and there's some nasty gouges in the nose like a dog chewed on it.

Pretty much anything from MASK. I wanted MASK toys, but I wanted Transformers more.

The "SDF-1" toy. How could anyone NOT want it?

An NES. I got one eventually. From my cousin after the PS and Saturn came out.

And just to scrape the barrel a little... a BioDread Strike Fighter. Captain Power was one of the few shows where I really wanted the badguys.

That's probably all the signifigant stuff.

3.  The Megaforce Goliath: Mobile Battle Headquarters.  This was the biggest vehicle released in the line.  I owned just about all of the other large vehicles in this line and i remember having some large scale battles between the two armies with these giant vehicles as the staging points for their respective armies (V-Rox "Nato" and Triax "Warsaw Pact").  It was such a highly detailed line of toys and i really loved them, but around the time the Goliath came out i was getting more involved with youth sports and for that matter video games when i was at home so my parents decided to donate most of my toys to Charity at Christmas time.  There was no way i could rally them to buy me one last Megaforce vehicle and both of my armies ended up losing their never-ending war without a shot fired in the final battle.  <_<

403196[/snapback]

Megaforce! That's a pretty cool line. It had little miniature die cast military vehicles and the action sets were bigger tanks, planes etc that opened up and you could launch your smaller die cast tanks, helis, ICBMs, jets, VTOLS from. That line was pretty short lived though iirc.

I on the other hand suprisingly have the Goliath, which made me the happiest kid evar. The huge thing had everything u ever needed to wage war. In normal mode it was a huge ass tank with tank deployment ramps on the sides. When deployed, the thing becomes a huge mobile land-based aircraft carrier, with runways, a deployable mine sweeper (which has a cool gimmick to deploy a small die cast tank onto the ground) and a mega cool control tower.The control tower has 2 turrets beneath the 2 helipads . You can park tanks along the height of the control tower which had little compartments, and the tanks are deployed or parked with an elevator!

This thing i could say was the best toy i ever had as a kid. It was detailed as hell and the designers really went through every detail on how to make a kid's play fun. I'm sorry you didn't get it, Veritas. I still have it now, but as it was inherited to my little bro, it fell literally to pieces. A sad shadow of its former self. :(

403208[/snapback]

:(

Yeah the line died a pretty quick death, premature in my view.

http://www.toyarchive.com/Megaforce/Protot...isplayUnit.html

It looks like at the time that the Goliath was released they had more vehicles on the horizon, like the Triax Heavy Class Black Heart Bomber but they never saw the light of day. I'm not sure why the line died off so quickly, most likely it was poor sales, but what with Micro Machines being so popular at the time i really thought this line was one of the greatest ideas ever. It combined the genius and detail of the Micro Machines with the military look and feel of stuff like GI Joe only on a larger scale! I can only imagine poor sales without the contribution of a cartoon, comic or movie to build the line around might have led to the line's premature downfall. <_<

BTW there was a Megaforce movie released around the time of the toy line but as far as i remember it had nothing to do with the toys and on top of that it was a huge steaming pile... even as a kid!

Edited by Veritas

!

I FORGOT!

I wanted XPanders toys.

They were these miltary-ish vehicles, and you tripped a button or switch that released a clip, and they folded out into a gun platform or seomthing.

I got a jeep and a 3-wheeled motorbike thing, but the line died before I could get anything else.

!

I FORGOT!

I wanted XPanders toys.

They were these miltary-ish vehicles, and you tripped a button or switch that released a clip, and they folded out into a gun platform or seomthing.

I got a jeep and a 3-wheeled motorbike thing, but the line died before I could get anything else.

403216[/snapback]

Yes, I remember those! For nostalgia, i looked high and low for these a little while back but i forgot the exact name of the line. I had the jeep as well, but like you said the line disappeared soon after i started seeing them on the shelves.

EDIT: Here we go:

http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/index.php?a=xp

now that information could have helped a couple of months back. <_<

Edited by Veritas

Practically every toy made from from 1983-1989.

By the time my parents decided to give me enough money to buy toys, it was already 1990 and those toys weren't available anymore and I could only gaze at the few catalogues I had and hunt garage sales and thrift stores.

!

I FORGOT!

I wanted XPanders toys.

403216[/snapback]

Yes, I remember those! For nostalgia, i looked high and low for these a little while back but i forgot the exact name of the line. I had the jeep as well, but like you said the line disappeared soon after i started seeing them on the shelves.

EDIT: Here we go:

http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/index.php?a=xp

now that information could have helped a couple of months back. <_<

403220[/snapback]

Thanks for the link veritas. I remmebered sometime back when i asked the boards here about Xpanders and if that name was right cause i can't seem to find any info about it on the net. Nobody seemed to know about this line. I have the gunboat one. When expanded, it has a sub, a amphibious vehicle and a black fighter on the back. Pretty cool line. I liked the toy soldiers it came with. ;)

PS: if you bought the figures seperately, they have better painted-on details than the ones that came with the vehicles. They look pretty cool too. How i wish i could still find them.

Edited by wolfx

Thanks for the link veritas. I remmebered sometime back when i asked the boards here about Xpanders and if that name was right cause i can't seem to find any info about it on the net. Nobody seemed to know about this line. I have the gunboat one. When expanded, it has a sub, a amphibious vehicle and a black fighter on the back. Pretty cool line. I liked the toy soldiers it came with. ;)

PS: if you bought the figures seperately, they have better painted-on details than the ones that came with the vehicles. They look pretty cool too. How i wish i could still find them.

403246[/snapback]

Not a problem Wolf. I know where you're coming from about not finding info on it. I must have tried every name under the sun but Xpanders. Expanders, Expandables, Expands, you name it i probably tried it. I thought it was a pretty neat toy line too, but like the link points out it never caught on and died after only the intial six releases. Speaking of which i don't think i eve saw the figures packed individually. The ones that were packed in pretty detailed alright, but a little light on the paint apps if i recall. Would have been nice to have figures painted like the ones that were released in G.U.T.S.! Anyone remember that line?

I had a friend with the jet and helicotper, if I recall.

403250[/snapback]

Those were probably two of the cooler vehicles in the line. Not so sure about the base modes though. Probably the Tank had the best vehicle/base combination from what i can see from the pictures. I think i only saw these toys on the shelves in one or two trips to my local TRU before they disappeared completely. <_<

Edited by Veritas

One word: Jetfire.

But I grew out of TF and really wasn't into toys so much as as games.

Now that I have taken a 20 year break, I am buying the stuff I couldn't get as a kid. It all started when I decided I needed to get robotech vf1. Then I started to get yamato vf1 and I am interested in other stuff too.

Really though, I would much prefer the masterpiece prime to the vintage original thanks to the advances in quality since then. Really like the alternators for this reason because they look really good in thier alt form. I don't really regret now that I couldn't get everything (I had voltron) because back then not all toys were as cool as they are today. I thought even as a kid the robots didn't look that great. They were rough aproximations of the characters and that was good enough for most little kids. Other stuff was around like Heman, thundercats, lego kits, macross models, gi joes etc and for a while I was too absorbed with star wars to really worry about TF I couldn't afford.

Part of the reason I am interested in old school stuff though is nostaglia. I just saw the original animated movie of transformers, and think that it would be cool to own the toys of these characters as this was a part of 80s history. (really who didn't get jealous when they saw thier friend at school with the coolest toys? Everyone was into them)

PS: Oh yeah now I remember: the most wanted thing for me was a toy of the Legioss from mospeada. When I saw all the cool modes it could transform into I was pissed that such a toy couldn't be found. Even today as an adult, for a modern toy all we have is the toynami. I wish there were other competing toy companies making some of this for nostalgia reasons and aimed at the hardcore collector market. (not on mainstream popularity)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Speaking of which i don't think i eve saw the figures packed individually.  The ones that were packed in pretty detailed alright, but a little light on the paint apps if i recall. 

If by "a little light on the paint apps" you mean "completely devoid of paint", you do recall correctly. :)

A jetfire, and a Millenium Falcon. Too expensive in Panama were I used to live. My parents didn't concieve a toy costin $50.00 plus. :(

I soooooo wanted that Jetfire. I remember the box standing tall in the shelf.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add the Millenium Falcon to the list! I don't know what is worse though, parents not willing to get it at all or what my parents did. They bought the dang thing, brought it home then decided it was just too big and returned it. Never mind, what my parents did was worse :blink: Especially since I was in my room getting my figures ready for their new ship.

Back in 1983 or '84, my grandfather took me to Cavite City, Philippines to get me a toy and as I passed by a small vendor my eye caught sight of a kanzen henkei 1/55 vf-1j !!! ... heh heh ... but he said "nope" for 1,000 pesos...that was a lot of dough.

and almost 23 years later ... i got something better; 1/48 1J with GBP armor!

hee hee.

Speaking of which i don't think i eve saw the figures packed individually.  The ones that were packed in pretty detailed alright, but a little light on the paint apps if i recall. 

If by "a little light on the paint apps" you mean "completely devoid of paint", you do recall correctly. :)

403258[/snapback]

Hmm, really? I thought they had painted faces and hands at least? I mean a light spackle of tan on the face and hands, nothing detailed. I must be mistaking them with maybe some of my G.U.T.S. figures that i had... hmm but those were bigger i think...

GUTS!

Edited by Veritas

BANDAI 1/55 Valks. I wanted one of these when they first came out, but my folks figured they were just too expensive. Funny thing is when the time came for me to get these things because I can personally afford them, I never did! The reason was I became infatuated with something that's even more gorgeous: The YAMATO 1/48's! ;):D

Jetfire. I didn't know about its origins at the time.

A TIE fighter - for some reason, the only version available in the UK when I was growing up was the Darth Vader version, but I always wanted the "normal" one.

X-Wing pilot - I asked for this figure several times. I only ended up with B-Wing pilots. Again, it would seem at the time these were like gold dust in the UK.

Edit: completely forgot, a Dai-X and X-Bomber toy. It wasn't until much, much later that I found out these actually existed. I now own three Dai-Xs of various types. :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Stuff that I always wanted as a kid, but never could get due to family budget problems.

* G.I. Joe Skystriker... it's a blatant ripoff of an F-14. It's huge, has swing wings, retractable gears. Which is why I wanted it so bad. I didn't care for the weird Astronaut looking pilot, I would have thrown him out.

* As a kid, I watched and actually loved Robotech, namely for the Macross Saga. My friend who still lived in San Francisco was telling me about a version of Macross. Namely the intense fighting between Millia & Max... from what I learned many years later to be DYRL?. He saw it while visiting Japantown in San Francisco. I didn't see DYRL? until 2001 or 2002.

* G.I. Joe Stormshadow... because back in the 80's, Ninjas were like, totally cool and s**t.

* Transformers Soundwave... next to Thundercracker, he was my next favorite one in the show. Not sure why.

* Star Wars X-Wing... Come on! An X-Wing for goodness' sakes!

* Star Wars AT-AT... I wanted the AT-AT toy more than the X-Wing. When I saw Empire Strikes Back as a kid, I thought the AT-AT was the nicest thing since sliced bread. It's always been in my mind somewhere. Only many years later, when Master Replicas produces their Studio Scale AT-AT for a huge amount of money, that I get one.

* My friend had a nice, die cast, transformable Macross Valkyrie. I can't recall the maker but it was all official and not one of the many knock-offs back then in the 80's. It wasn't a Bandai 1/55, since it was just over half it's size. It was also one of the Brown VF-1A's. I used to be so jealous of my best friend for having it :p I still recall that the pilot name on the side of the canopy was "LT. WARMAKER K." That's where I get my forum name from.

* One of those big, Legioss toys. 'Nuff said!

Edited by Warmaker

Malibu Barbie!!!

err... I mean TRANSFORMERS!!!

and, and...

G.I. JOE!!!

Umm... seriously. As a whole we all learned after my depressing 1980 Christmas here Santa brought me NOTHING on my list that it was typically wiser that I'd get a couple Lego sets and then money from Santa and my family and then buy the toys I wanted afterwards.

So, when I look back on it. I have no regrets about what I did or didn't get.

Veritas, you keep hitting all my favorites. I remember guts, they were all the rage on the playground, everybody had them, except me. I was sorta uncool, until I came back from Japan one Christmas with a Super Deformed Dom, Kampfer, and VF-1J. I remember the look on other kids faces... screw your guts, my blue Kampfer with 2 Bazookas and Pzfausts, was waay cooler.

As for Mega Force, I had all the small sets for the V-rocs. Its something I'd probably end up collecting again, now I remember their names, and can look them up on ebay. Thanks!

Veritas, you keep hitting all my favorites. I remember guts, they were all the rage on the playground, everybody had them, except me. I was sorta uncool, until I came back from Japan one Christmas with a Super Deformed Dom, Kampfer, and VF-1J. I remember the look on other kids faces... screw your guts, my blue Kampfer with 2 Bazookas and Pzfausts, was waay cooler.

As for Mega Force, I had all the small sets for the V-rocs. Its something I'd probably end up collecting again, now I remember their names, and can look them up on ebay. Thanks!

403420[/snapback]

Haha, good to hear. You must have felt like the coolest kid in school when you walked into the playground that day with those Gundam figures and Valk that you knew no one who'd been out of the country had ever laid their eyes on. You should have traded them for like 5 Guts each, could have had an army in no time! :D

Yeah Megaforce, was just such a great line, i really wish they had been able to pull together just one more series. The small sets had some of the best value in the amount of detail and paint that came at such a low cost. The large vehicles are even better with the amount of detail and playability they were able to cram into them. If you didn't have any of the larger ones or just medium sized ones i suggest taking the plunge and maybe picking up a Tar-Trax or a Thunderwolf, and maybe if you're really crazy about it, a Thorhammer... or a Goliath! :D

For me, it was three Tranformers. Optimus Prime, Wheeljack, and to a lesser extent Thrust.

I was kind of spoiled, when it came to toys, so I don't know where the communication breakdown was that kept Prime escaping my grasp. Wheeljack I saw once, and only once. If I remember right, I'd already gotten another TF that day.

With Thrust, I was kind of falling away from TFs. The movie had come, and wiped out all the characters I cared about. The toys weren't as cool anymore, either. Even the handfull that were based on real vehicles didn't really look like real vehicles. They had huge hinges sticking out of them. It's not that Thrust was very realistic looking, but I was always a sucker for sleek VTOLs.

While he wasn't as cool as the original Prime, and I was starting to get a little old to be playing with toys, I was so happy day I got that Power Master Prime. He's only one of two TFs that suyrvived my childhood. Sadly, years of storage have taken their toll.

Megaforce---I loved that line, and just a few days ago was trying to remember what it was called...

Anyways--actually, since I was quite specific in what toys I did and didn't want, I rarely got stuff I didn't want, and usually got the stuff I did. Even back then I knew to pass up on several little toys in order to get a single larger one. One G1 seeker or headmaster is worth a BUNCH of TF minibots. I honestly can't really think of anything I didn't get that was important.

Well, there was G1 Hot Rod. But that was due to availability. It was to the point that my parents actually gave me the money for him (and I was like 7) to buy him if I EVER found him. Never did. Nor could any grandparents, aunts, etc. I never, ever found a G1 Hot Rod for sale and never got him soley for that reason.

Strangely I never remember asking for Omega Supreme, yet I got it for my birthday. As opposed to Trypticon, which I begged for about 6 months straight and got for Christmas. Equal price/size, yet very different "want" levels.

Still, LEGOs were the hardest to get. They're just plain expensive. (Actually, I think they're cheaper now than they used to be, accounting for inflation--still expensive though, but not so outrageous as they were). Even back in 1989 the big pirate ships retailed for $110. Of course, the 2 largest LEGO ships are still among the best sets ever, and frankly the best pirate ship toys ever. Now if they only made the 16-wide hulls in black, I could make the Black Pearl... (yes, I have saved ONE set from childhood--the Black Seas Barracuda, set 6285, best LEGO ship ever)

Ironically, that is one of the few sets ever re-released...

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6285 Black Seas Barracuda, 1989

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6286 Skull's Eye Schooner, 1993

Edited by David Hingtgen

I also remembered back when I was a kid, I wanted more of those cheap cap guns

you could get from the dollar store. Me and my cousins used to play cops and robbers whenever I came over their houses.

In truth I always just wanted more building things like lincoln logs, wooden blocks, legos and mega blocks just to use for playsets and scenery with my action figures. I used to build forts out of lincoln logs to put all my acton figures and build walls out of wooden blocks put the figure on top of them just to lob projectiles at the wall and see them fall like they do in the TV commercials. Man that was the times.