What's Better: Toynami Or Yamato Fps?

Vermillion21

Another question: what's better, Toynami made or Yamato made fast packs for their respective valkyries?

:D

Or am I going to get "yelled at" for even trying to compare the two?

I just got a Yamato FP set with the stealth and love 'em!! I don't own the Toynami fast packs, because I was really let down by their MPC valks, so I am just curious to get feedback from those of you who do own 'em. I've seen the sets sell on eBay for almost twice the cost of the Yamato versions!! Poor uninformed bidders ....

:lol:

dont touch em. they'll blow away!.

magnets...they use magnets to stick the leg fastpacks on the valk....which shouldnt be done on the already crappy MPC line....parts fitting etc would be worse..

I dont know why but I like the magnets on my YAMATO VF-0S...they fit like....how would I say this...they fit perfectly well ! prolly because the slim profile of the VF-0S fastpacks justify it's magnets use..

I dunno, I always thought the MPC "armor" made the MPCs look better - they transform a Kate Moss-looking battroid into, well.... Kate Moss with big calves, big forearms, and backpack thrusters ;) .

In battroid and gerwalk, the armor relies mostly on clips to attach, so there's not too much reliance on magnets. The fighter mode is a floppy mess. But, the stickers actually stay on the armor, unlike stickers on the Yamato fastpacks. If you can get them for cheap and you want to not have to hide your Toynamis in shame, give a set a try.

I like the MPC armor. I would say it would be for display only. The magnets in the legs sometimes do not hold well. The if you are nice to get a set the magnets do not repel. The 1/48 is the best. But to be fair to Toynami all my MPC's have armor.

58FP_Alltops_2.jpg

The MPC Armor was better than Yamato's 1/60 armor (although, as mentioned previously, the leg armor has a tendency to pop off). That's just my opinion though as it really does seem to add a lot more to the appearance of the MPCs themselves and I prefer the smoother look. The 1/48 is, of course, king. Remember though, MPC armor used to be easy to get for $19.99 and now is selling for much more. Sometimes MPC armor sells for as much as 1/48 armor and that's just not right.

Edited by jenius

Another question: what's better, Toynami made or Yamato made fast packs for their respective valkyries?

401571[/snapback]

This question is supposed to be a joke, right?

Graham

401668[/snapback]

Graham - you are right on!!

:lol:

Actually, I was honestly wondering ... ever since I got the super stealth, I love the fast packs on my valkyries. Since I do own 2 MPCs, I was curious if it was even worth trying to get one of them a set of fast packs.

Right now I only have two 1/48's, the other being a Hikaru VF-1S. I'm debating whether to upgrade it to fast pack ... or just wait to save for either the GDB armour or another 1/48 valkyrie instead. Tough decisions ahead ....

:rolleyes:

Wish I had a bigger budget.

<_<

Edited by Vermillion21

dude, you got a hikaru VF-1S and no FP? it's like hikaru naked, man! i know what you are going through dude. when i purchased my first 1/48 (it was a roy) and i didnt have a FP, it looked good. but once i found a deal for the FP and i put it on the valk, it looked awesome. so, my advice to you, go get it and you will love it and you will forget all about the rest unless it's the classic bandai 1/55 such as seeker and ostrich (not those are priceless). peace, kyatsu

Right now I only have two 1/48's, the other being a Hikaru VF-1S. I'm debating whether to upgrade it to fast pack ... or just wait to save for either the GDB armour or another 1/48 valkyrie instead. Tough decisions ahead ....

Wish I had a bigger budget.

<_<

401690[/snapback]

Sometimes MPC armor sells for as much as 1/48 armor and that's just not right.

401589[/snapback]

I am trying to get a few of the Robotech MPC's but the prices are so high on them. Especially the Appendix armor they can go for as much as the MPC figure themselevs on Ebay. I hunted down a nice MPC Miria for a very decent price but looking for her Appendix is thae hard part without having to pay a lot of money. So I havent baught Miria yet.

I am trying to get a few of the Robotech MPC's but the prices are so high on them. Especially the Appendix armor they can go for as much as the MPC figure themselevs on Ebay. I hunted down a nice MPC Miria for a very decent price but looking for her Appendix is thae hard part without having to pay a lot of money. So I havent baught Miria yet.

Yep, I've been watching Max & Miriya's appendices go for $150 each and more at times! That's ludicrous. When a Max appendix demands the same price as a super Max 1/48 you know something is terribly wrong in this world. Be aware that Toynami has reissued Hikaru's armor already once, they may reissue all the armors again soon. After all, the armors were never described as a limited edition item and none of them are numbered.

Yep, I've been watching Max & Miriya's appendices go for $150 each and more at times! That's ludicrous. When a Max appendix demands the same price as a super Max 1/48 you know something is terribly wrong in this world. Be aware that Toynami has reissued Hikaru's armor already once, they may reissue all the armors again soon. After all, the armors were never described as a limited edition item and none of them are numbered.

401723[/snapback]

Yea totally when I can get an Miria for about $45...why would I spend 3 times as much for her armor peices. And at that price point I might as well get an 1/48th! Your absolutely right about the price's being ludicrous.

I didn't know however about the Apendix's not being numbered and about Re-issues. Thanks for the info! :)

I only have a Hikaru VF-1S v1/48 but dig grab a f/p set and gbp set for it. I also have a stealth with f/p on the way. 2 1/48 and 50+ 1/55's...

I'd suggest getting a dixon mpc for those who don't have a mpc yet. Yeah I prefer the bandai re-issues but at $20 a dixon isn't a bad toy. F/P for it aren't that bad so long as you don't go for a max or milla set :blink: . All I know is as soon as somebody is willing to trade me a boxed bandai seeker for my max and milla armor sets I am soo trading them :lol:

Maybe they can do a limited release if they are scared? Kinda like what they did with CF.

To the OP: yeah you need fast packs for DYRL valks. Doesn't look right without the super upgrade.

Tv series valks like the CF I don't mind naked as it makes more sense that they would fight on earth most of the time with just normal weapons. FAST pack would just limit how they can fight. (ie imagine fighting as a battroid on the ground using the cover to limit where you can be seen from, then needing to change into gerwalk and then fly quickly to another location?The FAST pack would just get in the way and hinder your ability because you wouldn't really be able to fly in fighter.)

In DYRL they ejected the FP in scenes against he zentradi on earth. So they are not a requirment for looking good for all valks, just that if you have a set you can stay true to their appearance in the movie. (where most of the time they are in space)

It was only really to the end of the series that the characters used the FP. I personally think it would be a good idea if they re-released the tv CF and have a set of custom brown FP like how they have them for super max and super mila :D (seriously I would buy a 'super cannon fodder' with brown tv fast packs as a set.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well, Yamato clearly ripped off Toynami's idea for the leg armor in their latest valkyrie toy (the vf-0s), so that tells you something. I've heard some people here loudly deny this fact, but they haven't produced anything resembling good evidence, and the resemblance between the two is so obvious that you'd have to be a rabid Yamato partisan not to concede it.

Well, Yamato clearly ripped off Toynami's idea for the leg armor in their latest valkyrie toy (the vf-0s), so that tells you something.  I've heard some people here loudly deny this fact, but they haven't produced anything resembling good evidence, and the resemblance between the two is so obvious that you'd have to be a rabid Yamato partisan not to concede it.

402043[/snapback]

Mad DOG!! Rabies bite! Bad dog! Bad dog!.....Medic!!

Well, Yamato clearly ripped off Toynami's idea for the leg armor in their latest valkyrie toy (the vf-0s), so that tells you something. I've heard some people here loudly deny this fact, but they haven't produced anything resembling good evidence, and the resemblance between the two is so obvious that you'd have to be a rabid Yamato partisan not to concede it.

But I think someone on the robotech forums had the idea first as a custom before the magnets were used for the MPC. Can't be sure, since I'm too lazy to check, but I used to hang out there. Anyway what really matters in the end to me is if the toy is good as a final product though. It can have all the cool features in the world and lot of details but if it has hit or miss QC then I get worried. They are expensive master piece toys and we should expect highest grade quality for them.

In the abscence of the 1/48 I would probably be a toynami fanboy. :D

Now I wonder if toynami will try to make a GBP armor for MP vf1. Ripping off each other is good for us the consumer in the end if it means you get the best features from all the competition at the end of the day. In fact if they made high quality bootlegs of the alphas which never broke I would probably end up buying a few.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Agreed. I should've picked up the Max's when Tony was selling them by the BUNCH.

Please Graham. Can you make it happen?

402013[/snapback]

Please Graham tell Yamato to reissue DYRL VF-1A 1/48 Max!!!

Have you seen my signature?!?

Okay, so I'm still doing more photo shoots and right now an MPC Roy is up with super armor. Here's a pic to show off the wears. Eventually I'll be doing the 1/60 Strike Roy and you'll be able to compare. I will say I had forgotten how easy it was to knock the leg armors off completely on this thing.

roysupermpc1smaller1ol.jpg

Sorry, I'm working on shrinking it, in the meantime this is a good chance to check out the detail.

Edited by jenius

LOL, the Yammy 1/48s better trounce the Toynami MPC fast packs. I think it kinda works by scale though:

First place goes to Yammy 1/48 FP

Second place Toynami 1/55 FP

Third place Yammy 1/60 FP (very close to second since they don't have that stupid middle attachment point and link directly to the backpack)

Honorable mention: Takatoku 1/55FP for being the innovator

I always find it strange the the Fastpacks on the Toynami seems to point up small bit.., which is very notice able.. it should be aiming at the same point as their nose of the plane.

it's almost as similar to the nose of their Alpha it looks like it's pointing up too. :angry:

I thik it's better off that they make a boat or something because all their plane/fighter form looks weak.

I know it's probably not canon, but I repainted the Toynami FP's for the VF-1S black. (Personally, I just think the black armor looks better on Skull-1 than the armor's original teal color.)

Clearly, the Yamato FP's have more detail. And the leg armors (the inner part, not the covering) on the Toynami FP's sometimes have a tendancy to plop off.

But Toynami didn't do too bad of a job in engineering the actual Fast Pack boosters. Some people might not like how they look asthetically-speaking. But those things are sturdy as hell.

I've never really paid much attention to Toynami 1/55 FPs before. I didn't know that their leg FPs had removeable covers like the Yamato 1/48 FPs.

So which came first, Toynami 1/55 FPs or Yamato 1/48FPs?

Graham

402108[/snapback]

Yeah, I never noticed that either. Huh.

I think the Yamatos came first, though.... can't remember.

Okay, so I'm still doing more photo shoots and right now an MPC Roy is up with super armor.  Here's a pic to show off the wears.  Eventually I'll be doing the 1/60 Strike Roy and you'll be able to compare.  I will say I had forgotten how easy it was to knock the leg armors off completely on this thing.

roysupermpc1smaller1ol.jpg

Sorry, I'm working on shrinking it, in the meantime this is a good chance to check out the detail.

402103[/snapback]

Thanks for posting the pic jenius! Yep, I definitely think the 1/48 Yamato fast packs are way better!! Guess I won't bother trying to acquire them for my MPCs. I'm better off saving the cash for more Yamato stuff!

:D

The FP does look abit funny.

A quick fix for your Hikki Fast pack urge until your toy budget grows: put your stealth fast pack on your hikki, you won't be disappointed . Scroll down to Post No.9 :D

Right now I only have two 1/48's, the other being a Hikaru VF-1S.  I'm debating whether to upgrade it to fast pack ... or just wait to save for either the GDB armour or another 1/48 valkyrie instead.  Tough decisions ahead ....

401690[/snapback]

Edited by Mowe

i dunno why but i dig the MPC Fastpacks.... well... compared to when i had only Yammie 1/60's and MPC's.... the scale of the fastpacks on the 1/55 MPC's looks a whole lot better than the scale on the 1/60's.... i always thought the 1/60 Fastpacks were too small..

however.... the 1/48 FP's are something of their own.... sigh.... too bad the cost of them is almost twice as much as retail MPC FP's.... the quality of them shows in the price....

i do like the paint job on the MPC FP's though.... the macross kite symbol tamp printed adds a nice touch w/out having to sticker it up....

i recently bought 4 appendix A's to put on all my MPC's but i haven't had the chance to display em yet.... i need another Detolf....

The FP does look abit funny.

A quick fix for your Hikki Fast pack urge until your toy budget grows: put your stealth fast pack on your hikki, you won't be disappointed .  Scroll down to Post No.9  :D 

Right now I only have two 1/48's, the other being a Hikaru VF-1S.  I'm debating whether to upgrade it to fast pack ... or just wait to save for either the GDB armour or another 1/48 valkyrie instead.  Tough decisions ahead ....

401690[/snapback]

402493[/snapback]

Thanks for the info Mowe ... I hear ya: my VF-1S Hikaru is "naked" and needs some add ons. Actually, I'm fairly certain that I'll buy the GBP armour next ... it looks way cool. Unless I cave and get a VF-0S instead ..... decisions, decisions....

:)

Edited by Vermillion21