Quamtum Leap!

Okay Quamtum Leap! I was never a super fan but I would watch from time to time. What a great concept for a cheap sci-fi show. Its science fiction which sounds like it could be expensive but he's always end up in the past so you do it for cheap. Still there is one thing I always wondered about...

Sam sometimes ends up leaping into a woman. Now if she's has an intimate partner Sam will have to play her part. Now to other people Sam is a she with female parts. When Sam looks down I assume he sees his male parts. I don't recall him looking at his hands any differently. Only when looks in a mirror does he see what everyone else sees.

So when he has to do it as a woman what the hell happens? :lol:

This leads up to the question about going to the bathroom. Say Sam wakes up as a woman (but doesn't know it yet) with the urge to urinate. As a man on the inside he's gonna natural do it standing while handing the equipment. Does hit the target or get piss all legs and hand?

Since this post was today, you must be serious...

Sam gave birth as some women he had leapt into, didn't he? I wasn't an avid dedicated watcher of the series but was usually entertained by it if there was nothing else on. He was affected by the biology (ie hormones, etc) of his host IIRC. So when he leapt into someone retarded, etc, he didn't have his full mental faculties and had to struggle. IOW, if he leapt into a woman, he wouldn't have all of the male 'compulsions' to scratch, etc. At least on a physical level. Hypothetically, any mental quirks should still be present, so if he was mentally addicted to a certain activity, that would/should still follow.

Either way, I could see him pissing on his/her legs/floor maybe the first couple times. Then he would get it right. IOW, us seeing him is an audience convenience... and him seeing himself is "residual self image" ala Matrix.

Can we give roy a short 3day vaction from the boards for using the "Q" word?

386859[/snapback]

So you want to ban Roy for 3 days?

LOL!!!11 :lol:

386860[/snapback]

You'll have to run that one by Graham, and even he doesn't frequent the boards as much as Roy. :rolleyes:

What am I the only one here who doesn't ponder such important questions while driving on the road with friends?

Oops that counts as a question. I forgot my quota. Okay gonna have to extend that ban two an entire week now.

Yeah but there are just some questions you don't ask, well, aloud.

386869[/snapback]

Why I got this feeling it's the time for graham to jump in and says something dirty? :unsure:

Edited by Zentrandude

I actually enjoyed Quantum Leap. It was on at some hour where I got to catch quite a bit of it. I'm pretty sure they did the right thing and gave the whole series an actual finale episode and that's cool and I wish more shows I enjoyed got decent send-offs.

Anyway, I think it'd only take him peeing on himself once to learn that he should check a mirror before attempting to go. Also, if he does pick up some of his hosts mental attributes as well then he probably knows something is up. I think though, that while he might see his penis, if he went to put a finger on it he'd find it wasn't there. I have to imagine that he feels only what his host feels.

the show was fun but had many contridications, infact I remember one later episode where plays a parapalegic (guy got his legs blown off) and at the end of the episode he stands up, sans legs. it was a good fun concept but scientifically had a great many issues.

I never really cared for the show after I noticed he was mostly going to the 40', 50's and 60's decades. I don't know if they ever explained why that was, but I felt it catered too much to the baby boomers. There was a past before the 40s you know. Its true!

I actually enjoyed Quantum Leap.  It was on at some hour where I got to catch quite a bit of it.  I'm pretty sure they did the right thing and gave the whole series an actual finale episode and that's cool  and I wish more shows I enjoyed got decent send-offs. 

Anyway, I think it'd only take him peeing on himself once to learn that he should check a mirror before attempting to go.  Also, if he does pick up some of his hosts mental attributes as well then he probably knows something is up.  I think though, that while he might see his penis, if he went to put a finger on it he'd find it wasn't there.  I have to imagine that he feels only what his host feels.

386875[/snapback]

i dont remember exactly how it ends But he Never goes home. :( something happens and he fixes Als marriage by letting the wife know that he surived some war. Then a narrator say that he keeps jumping and thats about all i remember

I actually enjoyed Quantum Leap.  It was on at some hour where I got to catch quite a bit of it.  I'm pretty sure they did the right thing and gave the whole series an actual finale episode and that's cool  and I wish more shows I enjoyed got decent send-offs. 

Anyway, I think it'd only take him peeing on himself once to learn that he should check a mirror before attempting to go.  Also, if he does pick up some of his hosts mental attributes as well then he probably knows something is up.  I think though, that while he might see his penis, if he went to put a finger on it he'd find it wasn't there.  I have to imagine that he feels only what his host feels.

386875[/snapback]

i dont remember exactly how it ends But he Never goes home. :( something happens and he fixes Als marriage by letting the wife know that he surived some war. Then a narrator say that he keeps jumping and thats about all i remember

386956[/snapback]

Yeah it was like to save his brother's (father's) life he had to stop Al from getting rescued in Vietnam or something, but then he fixed it again. But I know it went longer than that.

There were other leapers like him I recall that he finds out about in the final episode. And at the time the bartender revealed he was one of "god's helpers" mentioning that the tasks will get harder and harder so Sam decides to keep leaping and helping people. It puts a whole new spin on it making him "chosen" as opposed to a victim of an accident with no purpose who only wants to get home. Rather than being unwilling to keep it up, his attitude changes and he decides he wants to keep leaping.

Good series. Each episode was something new. Although I here people were divided about the ending being happy and wanted a predictable ending where he lives happily ever after. But imo, not getting home keeps the story open ended and more adventurous. (kinda like that dungeouns and dragons cartoon where those kids were stuck in the fantasy world)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Its been ages since I saw an episode of Quantum Leap, but I recall enjoying the series in a lightweight, episodic TV sci-fi kinda way. :D

As for why he lept in to situations that were all mid- to late- 20th century... I seem to recall that his jumps were limited to events that happened within his own lifetime... meaning he couldn't jump 'beyond' his birthdate.

As he was 'fixing' glitches in the past, that naturally ment no 'forward' movement 'into' the future, beyond the present. The premise of the show seemed to indicate a clearly linear nature to time... which only underscores that it was a show written well before the current sci-fi fascination with alternate/ parallel concurrent existences... for that we had Sliders! :lol:

:rolleyes:

386875[/snapback]

If that would be the case then, if I where him, and I would leap into a hot chick, I'd be like: 'Screw you with your time fixes, I'll be in the shower all day'. :D

I do remember the episode where he had to give birth. I seem to recall him having a conversation with Al early on where he's eating Jello and onions and can't understand why he has the urge to eat it. He appeared to be in a very immense amount of pain at the end of the episode when the birth finally happens. Whether or not that pain is, in fact, physical (as such as events like only childbirth or getting a watermelon shoved up your ass can bring), or entirely mental (he sees one thing and feels another) is really difficult to say.

For obvious reasons I'm sure the writers never even thought that someone would question it like this (but then, they dont' know our moderator, now do they?)... hence such things will go forever unknown.

I don't remember which episode, but he did at some point swap places with Al (I seem to recall Al was playing a war-hero that had just returned from WWII in Europe). Don't remember how long that lasted for or how close to the end of the series that was, just that it was one of the last times Sam Beckett got to see his wife.

Edited by Skull Leader

I've never watched this show.

387056[/snapback]

Lucky SOB :lol:

only thing worst than this show is that one simular called jumpers i think, it stared by that fat kid in stand by me.

Edited by Zentrandude

I never really cared for the show after I noticed he was mostly going to the 40', 50's and 60's decades. I don't know if they ever explained why that was, but I felt it catered too much to the baby boomers. There was a past before the 40s you know. Its true!

386951[/snapback]

You're right about the baby boomer pandering, but his leaping into those decades was part of the show's premise: to jump to any point in time within one's own life time; therefore, he could not leap into the middle ages for example, and he could not go beyond the point when the "accident" happened. Although, there was one episode where he leaped into his own great-great grandfather, or something, during the American Civil War, because of a extreme DNA correlation with his 1860's relative, IIRC. In any event, if Sam were, say, 35 years old when he first leaped in the mid 1990's, he'd be able to leap within a 35 year temporal span.

There was something similar called "Sliders" but i never knew what that was about.

387072[/snapback]

Ah yes, Sliders... really cool premise, mediocre execution and lack of imaginative possibilities for alternate realities in the first season, and did a major "jump the shark" starting the second season when it became thoroughly unmatchable.

Well i watched it ( its still on sometimes here), it was good dont think too hard SciFi. I saw most of the episodes and Although I am not a quantum leap Groupie or what not, I have a reallly good memory for stuff like that.

Yes he did leap into a woman twice i think.

Yes he was also a chimp

He miss jumped in to Al and was able to come home for a couple of episodes.

He did end up in the U.S independance war.

He also went to Nam as his brother

I recall that he also had to play at being his father too.

If I remember rightly he jumped just before having to actually give birth.

He Also actualy fathered a child too who grew up to be come a scientist who actually worked on the Quantum Leap project in 1999 . Although she worked for Sam he and she didnt know he was her father until after he jumped from the body of the guy he was being who was her father.

He later jumped back into the same man, and if i remember correctly told the mother what happened.

The last episode was all religious in context. Sam dosent go home he just keeps on jumping and suposedly helping people.

The best bit though was the use of the British actors to play the evil quantum leapers who wanted to mess up time. It was the whole equals and oposites thing, Ying yang if you will.

British actors make the best baddies. Wuh Wha ha ha ha !!!!

There endeth the Quantum Leap lessons

Dont bother wasting time posting that you think Im a geek. Its been said too many times already.

Edited by big F

Does anyone think the "final" episode of Quantum Leap was shot all the way back during season 1 or 2? When the last episode of QL was aired, the footage seemed to look a little grainier (or at least shot differently) then the episodes of the last few seasons. Also, the only people that Sam leaped into that were mentioned in the last episode were only the people Sam leaped into during the first, maybe second, season.

Does anyone know the reason behind this? Was the "final" episode shot early on because they thought the show was going to be cancelled after just one or two seasons?

Edited by Apollo Leader

Does anyone think the "final" episode of Quantum Leap was shot all the way back during season 1 or 2?  When the last episode of QL was aired, the footage seemed to look a little grainier (or at least shot differently) then the episodes of the last few seasons.  Also, the only people that Sam leaped into that were mentioned in the last episode were only the people Sam leaped into during the first, maybe second, season.

Does anyone know the reason behind this?  Was the "final" episode shot early on because they thought the show was going to be cancelled after just one or two seasons?

387196[/snapback]

It's entirely possible...after all, look at the nature of the show. You either really liked it or you thought it was stupid, not too many people riding the fence on it.