Gundam Plamodel Thread - II

the new Zakus should be enough prove already that Bandai plan on coming around full cricle as the 100 mg being and improved version of the first. What was #2? Was that the mg Zaku? Now that the generation of the first mg has grown and hopefully can appreicate the improvement/evolution that has taken place.

I honestly have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, just hope that #100 is anything but a reversion RX78-#.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a question, how many of you fully paint your gundam models? I usually leave mine if they are molded in colour and just paint the small details that aren't in colour. I'm not really great at painting anyway :(

The only model I've fully painted was MG Black Rick Dias to Red, but I've left a lot of brush strokes on it :(

I paint mine. I did like you described on mt second MG RX-78[G] and only painted the details, but it doesn't look that hot. I haven't done a Gundam model in a while now tho... last thing I did was my MKII v2, and I've got an assembled PG Gundam sitting on my work bench just asking for a sweet custom scheme and some minor detail mods, and a few boxed MGs...

I paint all my MG kits: 90% airbrush, 5% gundam markers, 5% good ol' paint brush.

The latest fad in Japan is to not paint the kits and make it look like they are, or something like that. ^_^ Read about it at Dannychoo's blog: No-paint technique

I prefer to paint them 'cuz it lets me hide mistakes (within limits, of course) I might had made during build up. ;)

Edited by godfather

70/30 with Gunpla. Last two I painted were 0080 war in the pocket 1/144 Rick Dom II and Kampher, Particularly because the Kampher is molded in aweful colours. I'm originally a modeler anyways so it doesn't bother me to do the work for that. (I just repainted a VF-1S strike into this scheme. After playing as Anaval Gato in Gundam: the Ace pilot, I'll likely pick up the Mass Production Gelgoog and do it in his colours, and take the char prototype and do it as a Johnny Ridden Machine.

Lately however I've been trying to get better at the no paint method, but this is really tough too. (godfather beat me to the link) I just did a Powered GM with this method and it went so so. I find if you mess up cutting things off the sprue, you can be in a world of trouble. Its fun though, to a point. It prevents me from using my two favorite products in the world.... Mr Surfacer and Tamiya putty.

Edited by Noyhauser

I prefer painting. But that's due to having a slight background in painting. Also, I prefer doing things with a certain look or with a certain personal touch so that usually involves some painting.

I also prefer to paint all my kits , it takes time and i have a huge backlog of kits i need to finish but in the end they look much better.

chris

:o so most of you have the right equipment, I only got paint brushes and spray paint. I usually try to avoid painting because I'll mostly make a mess of things, like leaving brush strokes, paint being too thick or something else. My MG kits are mostly left unpainted apart from small details and i also do the panel lines. I have painted older kits and non gundam kits fully as well, though they are not as great as the ones shown in the pictures of hobby magazines.

Kung Flu, I only have paint brushes and spray paint as well... check out some of my stuff either in my sig links or search for my threads on hobbyfanatics.com It's all in going easy on the spray paint, and using thinned down brush coats.

Kung Flu, I only have paint brushes and spray paint as well... check out some of my stuff either in my sig links or search for my threads on hobbyfanatics.com It's all in going easy on the spray paint, and using thinned down brush coats.

What kind of paint do you use, I like using acrylic, but now my local model shop only stocks enamel, which is the paint i have most difficulty with.

What kind of paint do you use, I like using acrylic, but now my local model shop only stocks enamel, which is the paint i have most difficulty with.

I would suggest shopping online for acrylics then. Image Anime.com, Ehobbies.com, or HLJ, PlaJapan.com has supplies of Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo acrylic paints.

I use acrylics. Clean-up is easier and I don't need a fume hood just to paint a small piece. I have used enamels but the smell of the paint and solvents eventually drove me to acrylics.

Hey guys, how do you eliminate brushstrokes from showing up? Such a n00b question but something that has eluded me for years.

That's a though thing to accomplish. Usually, the best way to avoid brushstrokes, but far from guaranteed, is to do the following:

1. Have good quality paintbrushes (sable or equivalent).

2. Do NOT use the brushes on mixed mediums (have a set of brushes for enamels/oils and another set for acrylics).

3. Use paints you've found to work well for you (brand and type... some do well with enamels and others with acrylics; some like Testors and other Tamyia. The best paint is the one that works for you).

4. The paint must be thinned with the proper thinner to the correct consistency (out of the bottle is usually too thick).

5. Always brush in a single direction overlapping the previous stroke, and take your time.

Edit: Another thing to note is that flats are generally easier to work than glossy paints, and some colors brush/cover better than others (I have the hardest time with white and yellows, both flats and glosses, but the gloss ones are definitely worse).

Edited by mechaninac

I know what you mean on lighter colors. I remember working on my Aestivalis. THe blue went on nice and smooth, but the orange required coat after coat after coat. Two coats of blue, versus up to ten for orange. I'll never use that orange brand again.

For my Mk-II, I been used spray cans with some brush work. I really like how she came out, but the paint were pricier than the model. Especially when it took three yellows to find one I liked (though I brushed that for the most part). I still haven't painted the yellow on the shield yet.

I keep meaning to post pics, but I can't seem to get my friend to give me the shots taken on his camera (I use film). I have a few cell phone pics if anyone wants to see.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Thinner paint works better for eliminating brush strokes, for me at least.

Also--white, orange, and yellow are less opaque than they used to be. Why? No lead. Lead is what's used to make quality, opaque pigments for those colors. But since stupid little kids still like to eat paint chips that flake off, it's not allowed in model paint. You'll never find a nice opaque yellow nowadays---you just need coat after coat.

I hate to admit it, but the MasterGrade kits have made me a lazy modeler. I don't think I've painted a model kit in years.

Here Here! I'm not into battle ravaged Gundams, I like mine looking like they just came off the assembly line ready to kick ass. I've painted a few, like the Mk.II titans and my Zaku's. I personally think they look better with panel lines, a few paint marker details, and the dry transfers. For some reason though, I do paint weapons sometimes.

help me out with something: I have store credit I haven't used, should I go with a MG Perfect Gundam or use my 45 in credit along with 22 dollars and get a Zeta 3 Unicorn?

The Zeta-3 is actually pretty nice looking, better than the original TV Zeta color scheme IMO.

The Perfect Gundam on the other hand is one of the ugliest mecha in the Gundam universe IMO. I can't help but laugh everytime I see it.

Just my 0.2 cents.

Graham

I can't help but think the Perfect Gundam would look so much better if it was either all white or maybe with a touch of orange trim and nothing else besides lots of markings, and considered a test type setup... but yeah, as it stands, it's got waaaay too many Gundam colors to it.

The Zeta-3 is actually pretty nice looking, better than the original TV Zeta color scheme IMO.

The Perfect Gundam on the other hand is one of the ugliest mecha in the Gundam universe IMO. I can't help but laugh everytime I see it.

Just my 0.2 cents.

Graham

I agree, I'm gonna go with the Zeta 3. I have all the other versions, why stop now?

so according the gunota, there's a OYW ver. RX-78-2 in TV colors coming out in july, but it will not be the MG 100... also, there will be a HGUC Blue Destiny Unit 1...

btw, anyone get the BD unit 2 kit? does it look as nice as it does in the pictures?