Which Console? Part 2!

Gaijin

We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. We are closer to launch of the next 2 big ones...has your answer changed?

• XBox 360
    • Sony Playstation 3
    • Nintendo Rev
    • I want more than one
    • Screw the new consoles, I love my Gameboy Advance

Ahem ahem remember this , it also available on PS2.

400873[/snapback]

A friend of mine has that game, acording to him and several others who've played it, it's apparently awful.

I think other 2nd/3rd party characters would be best who've actually been on a Nintendo system.  If that be the case, Soma from the recent Castlevania games would work well, he's a recent character, has a fairly unique attack lineup, and he could have an alternate Dracula-form.

My one distant hope would be Roy Focker doing drunken-boxing. :p

400881[/snapback]

The one character everyone really wants to see tapped is Sonic. I think the absurd rate at which that EGM 4/1 joke spread and how long it kept going attest to that.

Mario VS Sonic is a battle we've been waiting for since 1991.

Sure Sega SAYS there's a truce, and sure they SEEM to support Nintendo systems now, but we all know they're just waiting for the right time to spindash through something and turn Mario into so much spaghetti sauce.

There's too much bad blood for them to ever TRULY be allies.

i know is against the image nintendo wants to give to its customers but i think i would be funny if the characters have a special move wich sends their foes to a better place in a hilarious way.

and yes, about that mario vs sonic thing: I WANT BLOOD.... or at least see an old Sonic fan drop a couple of tears after an humiliating defeat.

there is nothing better than to see someone cry after defeat, specially if he is a pokemon fan...

Er, Sony announced the launch date. November 17th for N. America, this year.

401154[/snapback]

I don't belive it will be release this year seeing most launch games won't be ready till next year.

be like buying a car but there will be no gas to buy till later.

Edited by Zentrandude

Final Fight CD rules. If only Final Fight Streetwise could have been as noteworthy.

In regards to console choices, I support the console that will give me THIS:

We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves in an interview with Computer and Video Games, via Gamespot.

Now Sony is publicly stating their belief that fanboys will buy it just because it says PlayStation. Kinda makes you wonder why there are so many Sony loyalists...

From what I read, the PS3 can play all region games. I guess I can pop in my Macross PS2 game with no problems or mods.

401132[/snapback]

I hope it is backwards compatible with all American and Japanese tittles. I hope Bandai releases a Macros game for the PS3, so we can finally play Macross without having spend extra cash.

Er, Sony announced the launch date. November 17th for N. America, this year.

401154[/snapback]

I don't belive it will be release this year seeing most launch games won't be ready till next year.

be like buying a car but there will be no gas to buy till later.

401158[/snapback]

It'll be released. But not on store shelves. Even at 600 the launch hysteria will move it. You saw eBay for the 360, right?

From what I read, the PS3 can play all region games. I guess I can pop in my Macross PS2 game with no problems or mods.

401132[/snapback]

I hope it is backwards compatible with all American and Japanese tittles. I hope Bandai releases a Macros game for the PS3, so we can finally play Macross without having spend extra cash.

401310[/snapback]

Don't count on it. Whereas the PS2 had a PSX processor and the GBA had a GBC processor, last I heard, the PS3 is going to use emulation, like the 360. And apparently, SCEI thought that emulation was going to be easier to set up than it's turning out to be.

401132[/snapback]

401310[/snapback]

Don't count on it. Whereas the PS2 had a PSX processor and the GBA had a GBC processor, last I heard, the PS3 is going to use emulation, like the 360. And apparently, SCEI thought that emulation was going to be easier to set up than it's turning out to be.

401351[/snapback]

They've also promised backwards-compatibility with the PS1 and 2 at E3, though it certainly wouldn't be their first broken promise.

Either way, PS1 emulation should be trivial. It uses a standard processor, so there's no shortage of documentation, and the entire system is weak enough that there's plenty of headroom. Especially if they wrap PS1 AV calls to PS3 AV hardware functions(which reduces compatibility, though the software could detect and special-case known issues).

PS2 is, of course, far more powerful as well as featuring more proprietary components. But Sony has all the specs for them.

And they may have imbedded an Emotion Engine somewhere, making it a PS2-style half-emulation. As I understand it, the PS2 ONLY has the PS1 CPU, and everything else is emulated as opposed to being genuinely compatible.

PS2 is, of course, far more powerful as well as featuring more proprietary components. But Sony has all the specs for them.

And they may have imbedded an Emotion Engine somewhere, making it a PS2-style half-emulation.

Let's not forget that the Xbox 1 used an off-the-shelf Pentium III, and ran on Microsoft's on Direct X software. And what's the ratio of backwards compatible to not backwards compatible there?

Bottom line, I wouldn't count on backwards compatibility as a selling point for the PS3.

And they may have imbedded an Emotion Engine somewhere, making it a PS2-style half-emulation.

Let's not forget that the Xbox 1 used an off-the-shelf Pentium III, and ran on Microsoft's on Direct X software. And what's the ratio of backwards compatible to not backwards compatible there?

Bottom line, I wouldn't count on backwards compatibility as a selling point for the PS3.

401555[/snapback]

Time will tell.

Kikizo > Games > News > Article

: discuss article : related articles :

Sony Denies UK PS3 Rip-Off

The UK remains as one of the only major regions with solid release details and now Sony is playing defense against new reports.

Almost everyone was shocked by Sony's price revelations for the PlayStation 3 last week, but the Brits watching were confused.

While the company revealed that it would be selling two models of the PlayStation 3 across North America and Europe and laid out the prices there too, it was quiet on its plans for the UK. Now Sony has come out to refute talk that has sprung up that it will only be bringing the more expensive, fully featured model to the UK.

The brouhaha stems from comments made by Sony's Ray McGuire, who told trade paper MCV that it was looking like the system would ship in the UK in one configuration.

"The lower-end 20 GB version of PlayStation 3 has no WiFi, no HDMI and none of the other slots in it, so it's really a question of where we would position it," McGuire told MCV. "It's more likely that we will only launch the 60 GB version."

"We have time to watch the yen and be flexible, but that 60 GB version looks like £425 in the UK at the moment. High trade margins in the UK are likely to see it come in with that kind of street price, though it's ultimately up to retailers."

In the US the 60 GB model will sell for $599, while in Europe the tax-inclusive price has been set at €599 ($765). The rumoured price of £425 in the UK amounts to $800, or $680 before tax - an $80 premium.

Many publications reported on this as confirmation that Sony would ship only the dearer of the two models and at a wallet-busting price to boot.

P L E A S E V I S I T O U R S P O N S O R :

But when confronted with these statements, a Sony spokesperson told Kikizo that these publications were jumping to conclusions, with the source calling the price "speculative".

Sony is currently "favouring" the 60 GB model, but the company insists that it hasn't ruled out the possibility of bringing both over.

Time is on Sony's side in this matter. That people are having this conversation at all so far from launch is a rarity, as hardware makers usually hang back until the last minute to nail down their component and manufacturing parts before setting a final hardware price, just as Microsoft did last year when it waited until nearly two months before launch to reveal the price of the Xbox 360.

Sony said that there's still "lots of discussion" to be had with retailers and other parties before the final details are revealed.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200605/098.asp

401555[/snapback]

The XBox 360 also has a much less signifigant power jump than the PS3.

I was actually surprised they claimed compatibility at all after they changed processor families. Didn't really look like the power was there.

Which is probably why they're special-casing individual games.

I'd bet an ACCURATE XBox emu can't run on the 360, so they use a "close enough" emu and special-case games to remove glitches.

I still think MS farted up badly by locking games they hadn't special-cased yet.

They should've opened the thing wide up, and just pinned a warning saying something like "This game has not yet been tested and we cannot guarantee proper behavior until yaddayadda."

Wow you guys are speaking greek with all the specs you know about the different systems. Now that the pole seems invalid, which system do you think is the best one to get? I am saving up for one, but unfortunately I can only get the one. PS3 being a reach at $600. Right now I am leaning toward xbox360, but figured I would get some opinions first. I tend to like shooters, rpgs, D&D type games, command and conquer style games, and even the turn based games (although I am not sure these are made anymore). Fighting games like Tekken and such bore me though. What do you guys think?

Like Yellowlightman said, wait and see what system as the games you like. Tech specs can only help one speculate on graphical power, and in that category Sony is putting so much high end into the PS3 there's almost no question it will have the best graphics (though those of us who remember the PS2 launch hype will remain skeptical on that until the games are playable).

As far as games, we can only make educated guesses at this point, beyond the few titles that have been announced. However, if you put a high priority on FPS games and RTS games, keep an eye on the Wii. It's controller seems like a fusion of a gamepad with a PC gamer's keyboard and mouse, with some additional functionality on top of it all. The Wii will almost certainly handle FPS games better than any other console, and will probably be the only console to do RTS games in a decent manner. E3 impressions from the gaming media only seem to confirm this.

However, if graphics are very important to you, the Wii will have the weakest visuals in this generation, as Nintendo is trying to get the system out at a lower price tag than the competition. It'll still be a leap over the Gamecube, just not nearly as much as the 360 or the PS3.

If graphics are a big issue, but so is price, the 360 might be your best bet. It's likely to have plenty of FPS games, if you don't mind gamepad controls for console FPS games. However, Microsoft has had trouble getting Japanese 3rd party support in the past.

Speaking of developer support, I'd wager it's not a given that Sony will retain the lopsided lion's share of the developer support that they've enjoyed for the past two consoles. With that price tag, a lot of people are likely to wait for a price drop, or possibly two. If developers see Microsoft and Nintendo gaining in market share, developers will have a lot more incentive to develope for all three consoles, rather than focusing on just one.

I am saving up for one, but unfortunately I can only get the one.

You won't get a definite answer to your question until next year, at the earliest. Until the consoles and their developers have had a chance to "grow" and develop their respective must-have killer games, no one can make a logical choice between any of the systems. The smart thing to do for the budget conscious would be to sit tight with the current 3 systems and wait until those next-generation killer-apps start showing up, then choose...

Edited by myk

Wow you guys are speaking greek with all the specs you know about the different systems.  Now that the pole seems invalid, which system do you think is the best one to get?  I am saving up for one, but unfortunately I can only get the one.  PS3 being a reach at $600.  Right now I am leaning toward xbox360, but figured I would get some opinions first.  I tend to like shooters, rpgs, D&D type games, command and conquer style games, and even the turn based games (although I am not sure these are made anymore).  Fighting games like Tekken and such bore me though.  What do you guys think?

401808[/snapback]

As others have said, I would wait. Form what you say you like, I think PC games could hold you up until the new consoles drop prices or have worthwhile games.

No sense in buying an overpriced gadget that has next to nothing. There still isn't an XBOX 360 game out that makes me want to say "WOW" and for the price of a next gen console you could have your PC's graphics card souped-up and get a lot of games.

Yeah. For example, checking out the 360's lineup for 2006 put me to sleep. Sure, there are games that would be worth checking out, but nothing that screams MUST BUY NOW, like when I first saw Super Mario 64 debut on the N64 many moons ago...

Yeah.  For example, checking out the 360's lineup for 2006 put me to sleep.  Sure, there are games that would be worth checking out, but nothing that screams MUST BUY NOW, like when I first saw Super Mario 64 debut on the N64 many moons ago...

401823[/snapback]

Now THAT justified getting a newly released console.

Thought this rumor was put to rest, but...

Sony to prevent resell of PS3 games.

So basically, once you've bought a PS3 game, you're stuck with it. I can understand why Sony might want to create a business model that would encourage sales of new, unopened games instead of used ones which result in no additional sales and revenue for Sony, but if a player is stuck with a game "forever", aren't people going to be much more picky on what they buy resulting in even less sales of new games? What about people being able to rent games from like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video?

If this is true, Sony has just shot itself in the foot again.

That will so utterly kill Sony. If that's the case, I will own like 10 PS3 titles in the next 5 years. And I'm not paying 600 bucks to play 2 games a year. I've played quite a few PS2 and XB games over the years, but the "permanent" collection is like 20 and 10, respectively.

I gotta agree with what Yellowlightman said as well. Instead of just going out and riding the bandwagon in terms buying the hottest system that's out at the moment, I'll just wait around to see if that system has a selection of games that really captivate my interest. But I wonder if it' really worth it to buy a PS3 since it cost 600$ though. Sure, PS2 is better than the X-B0X in terms of game selections and X-BOX is better than PS2 in terms of graphics at the cost of having few blockbuster titles like HALO MechAssault and Sudeki. However, I'm thinking about getting a PS3 since all the other video game companies are all up on SONY's nutsack and as a result of this, these companies usually make all the good and appealing games and make me want to go out and get the system.

Does anyone remember the "Divx" DVD's and DVD systems back around 1999 or so (I believe it was exclusive through Circuit City)? It followed basically this same model (if Sony does this with the PS3). When you bought the disc, in a way you weren't buying the disc, just the rights to play it. Divx died off pretty quickly...

Edited by Apollo Leader

Yeah.  For example, checking out the 360's lineup for 2006 put me to sleep.  Sure, there are games that would be worth checking out, but nothing that screams MUST BUY NOW, like when I first saw Super Mario 64 debut on the N64 many moons ago...

401823[/snapback]

Not even Gears of War?