1/48 Recast Head With Led

Neova

Would you buy these recast LED heads? Also specify quantiy  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy these recast LED heads? Also specify quantiy

• 1/48 VF-1A
    • 1/48 VF-1J
    • 1/48 VF-1S
    • 1/48 VF-1D conversion - Captain's approval only!

Working on a new project for MWers. Would you guys buy a 1/48 recast head with light up white LED function (electronics, LED, battery all included) but you must assemble it yourself.

It will be a modified resin or high impact polymer head that you must paint with a clear resin lens, lasers, head, screws and possibly an extra neck piece or use the existing neck pieces.

If Hi Impact Polymer is used, it will be ~90% color matched to the DYRL Valkyries or TV if enough orders for that version comes through.

Back side of the head will be cut and made into a toggle switch.

VF-1J, Vf-1A and VF-1S can be done.

VF-1D can be done with the Captain's approval ONLY. Probably just the two nessesary 1D head pieces for those who already have the kit.

I need a minimum of 20 total pieces per version to get started. You can order 1 or more. 3 week lead time from GO to mailing.

Estimated price is 15 USD for the resin head or 20 USD for high impact polymer. Price is before shipping. The more orders we get, the cheaper it gets.

Edit - Can do recast heads for ~ 10-11 bux a head with clear resin lens but same limit applies as I need to do 20 at a time to get the price down.

LED Head prototype. Not final yet. Details to be added. Hollow Lasers may be included.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...e=post&id=31946

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...e=post&id=31947

Edited by Neova

Since Rohby's been MIA for awhile what about just recasting standard 1S heads with different color lens (blue, green, yellow, clear etc)? No matter the case, I'd def. be intrested in picking up at least a couple of these either way (with or without LED) since i broke off one of the lasers on one of my old heads :( and need a replacement that isn't super glued, plus it would be good to get some spares too.

;)

Since Rohby's been MIA for awhile what about just recasting standard 1S heads with different color lens (blue, green, yellow, clear etc)?  No matter the case, I'd def. be intrested in picking up at least a couple of these either way (with or without LED) since i broke off one of the lasers on one of my old heads :( and need a replacement that isn't super glued, plus it would be good to get some spares too.

;)

375059[/snapback]

I think I could get a least a J Head (should look great with the GPB ;) ) and an S for my Strike VF-1S ;)

Polymer sound's good for me

Are the visors crystal clear and colourless?

Is it possible to provide hollow metal head lasers too?

Is it a straight recast or will it be modified to allow easy change of batteries?

The normal recast heads can be cemented and puttied, this is probably different right?

Edited by aurascope

Are the visors crystal clear and colourless?

Is it possible to provide hollow metal head lasers too?

Is it a straight recast or will it be modified to allow easy change of batteries?

The normal recast heads can be cemented and puttied, this is probably different right?

375859[/snapback]

1) The visors will be clear and colorless. You must paint this yourself or if we get enough orders for a color (EG Green), I will try to get it done for everyone.

2) I believe Fulcy is offering hollow head lasers right now. If he becomes too busy, I can look into it with a machine shop. Might add a bux or two or with enough volume, probably included.

3) Modified. There will be a cut that fits at the back of the head, where you see the horizontal panel lines.

It will serve double duty as opening / button / electronics assembly. The whole back piece will be attached to the electronics so you basically pull out the piece, replace the battery and pop it back in. A SMALL button will be inserted for on / off.

We will try to make this piece universal for all the heads, and perhaps the recast heads will have this cut also, so you can swap in the electronics later.

4) The head assembly will be nearly the same as the originals. You CAN putty and seal it up, except for the removable back piece for changing batteries and electronic replacement.

It will weigh a bit more so we will do some testing to make sure this is feasible.

Worst case is to provide straight recast heads. Best case is with all the goodies at a great price.

post-1322-1141368436_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neova

Worst case is to provide straight recast heads. Best case is with all the goodies at a great price.

375982[/snapback]

To tell you the truth i'd be all for just the standard straight recast heads, but i'm not sure what everyone elses opinions on this are.

I'm all for another round of recast heads with improvements, but i don't see the appeal or realism of an LED eyepiece. Weren't the eyepieces just an enclosure for optical/FLIR sensors?? Besides, all my goshdarn pics of my 1/48s have the camera flash effect if i wanted to see valk eyes glowing :p

I think this is a fantastic option. If we can have recast heads with LED, and metal head lasers in one package. It's better to get everything with one-stop shopping. Those who don't like it can putty up the thing or have a dummy component inserted to fill up the space. The VF-1S is readily available now, makes the necessity of having straight recast diminished. Having said that, depending on the price of the LED heads with hollow metal head lasers, I'll be up for anywhere from half a dozen to one dozen. Depending on the price. I have 2 dozen VF-1S waiting to be painted. I can't wait till my new job settles down to paint the. Heh.

I'm all for another round of recast heads with improvements, but i don't see the appeal or realism of an LED eyepiece. Weren't the eyepieces just an enclosure for optical/FLIR sensors?? Besides, all my goshdarn pics of my 1/48s have the camera flash effect if i wanted to see valk eyes glowing :p

376010[/snapback]

The same can be said for PG Gundam heads, the eyes are just optic sensors, but Bandai still made them with the LED option, this merely increases the display value of the model, haven't you guys seen the lighted eyes of a evil robot, masked in shadows, about to make his kill in anime before? Hell yeah, I want this!

Edited by aurascope

Shin,

All plastics and resins are a type of polymer (or material). The high impact ones are not as "brittle" as regular high cast resins and flexes a bit so its more ABS like. It can take more impact pressure than regular resin.

It would suck to have the heads chip or crack if dropped.

Note: The head lasers can snap if dropped but this is a limitation of design vs material unless that whole piece is machined of metal.

Also, it didn't save in the original comments regarding the picture above but that is supposed to show off the lighting effect.

The original thought was to detailed up and ETCHED with cuts inside the visors to show "stuff". This will show off the LED function a lot more than HG's lit Veritechs. I had considered providing holographic foils for behind the visors, but it seems etching it with some internal panel lines looks just as good if not better.

This item was originally intended for the detail nuts / customizers and not just an offer for straight up recasts since the release of the new 1S' may have made that point moot.

It appears there may be enough interest to do a small one shot run for the 1S head and cast a few extras heads for those guys who need a replacement. I will start on the prototype soon.

whooot! i was wanting a regular 1S if i can still put my name down for one thanks!

the tripped out one sounds cool i must say, so I look forward to seeing how it comes out, and you might convert my opinion into getting it :D

and i like the sound of the high impact polymer too......sounds,... tough... ;)

Is it possible to machine the whole visor out of metal and still retain the hollow barrels? That would be a splendid upgrade option for those who have the stock VF-1S. But it has to be high precision since metal cannot be worked with as easily as plastic. Will it be expensive?

Edited by aurascope

Hey Anthony,

Would it be possible to replicate the switch mechanism found on those light-up Gundam heads? IIRC don't the Gundam heads use a "magnet" switch, where you can turn on the lights by passing a magnet over the head...if it's possible perhaps that would keep the original look of the VF heads.

I'm not sure how feasible it is, but you might get away with one mold for two options...one with lights, and one without for those that just want a straight recast.

I guessing some would have reservations of how the head would look if there was a switch in the back.

I would like a VF-1S head with all the bells and whistles....light-up visor, hollow metal head lasers. And I think that hologram backing behind the visor would be a very nice touch.

The ultimate would have you make the heads such that a talentless oaf like myself wouldn't have to do anything but pop the old head off and put the new one on to have that "I just customized my valk" look. :D

Get some of your money back!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5550334/

363584[/snapback]

Hey Neova,

Any idea of the numbers you're going to need to fill before you can justify moving ahead with just a standard VF-1S recast and if so, how many orders you'll need for the Head to have an LED light option?

I'm sure if you can list a ballpark estimate, more people would be intrested in signing up for orders.?

Get some of your money back!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5550334/

363584[/snapback]

Pay Pal, as an establishment, is the Enron of the Internet community. Anyone who makes a living screwing people out of their money the way they do and not get jailed for it deserves to be put down like a rabid dog. The CEO should be publically decapitated and a flaming rod shoved through his anus.

They have screwed me over so many ways I will be bull legged for the rest of my life.

But, uh, don't get me started. :D

a recast of just the 1s head would be nice :D:)

376762[/snapback]

I would take several of each. I really don't think the LED is nessasary, but I will take several heads for custom jobs any way I can get them.

I have a resin 1S head, and it is pretty dope. I traded it off someone here at Macross World (aaajan, I think), and have been looking for others like it since.

A recast will do well, I think.

a recast of just the 1s head would be nice :D:)

376762[/snapback]

I would take several of each. I really don't think the LED is nessasary, but I will take several heads for custom jobs any way I can get them.

I have a resin 1S head, and it is pretty dope. I traded it off someone here at Macross World (aaajan, I think), and have been looking for others like it since.

A recast will do well, I think.

377574[/snapback]

hey, its aaajin!! :angry:

j/k :p

Edited by aaajin

VF-1S LED Head is in the works right now. I was thinking of the push down method and will see if this is feasible after the head has been disected.

Since the head will be modified, if time permits, we will "detail up" the head to look more like Hasegawa's sculpt before recasting it.

The cheeks may be fatten up a LITTLE (0.5-1mm) on each side so it doesn't look like it hasn't eaten for weeks from full frontal view.

If you guys have other details you want to add or suggest, please advise now before we finalize the sculpt. I hope to have a prototype for showing soon.

Please keep your postings on topic here. Thanks.

VF-1S LED Head is in the works right now. I was thinking of the push down method and will see if this is feasible after the head has been disected.

Since the head will be modified, if time permits, we will "detail up" the head to look more like Hasegawa's sculpt before recasting it.

The cheeks may be fatten up a LITTLE (0.5-1mm) on each side so it doesn't look like it hasn't eaten for weeks from full frontal view.

If you guys have other details you want to add or suggest, please advise now before we finalize the sculpt. I hope to have a prototype for showing soon.

Please keep your postings on topic here. Thanks.

378011[/snapback]

Looking forward to seeing the prototype. When do you think you can get one finished?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish there was someone doing recasting for the 1S head that would make the mold front/back rather than side to side. I hate hate HATE the seam going down the middle...

But yeah, the holographic and hollow lasers sound really cool. The LED I'm so-so on. I certainly would rather have it and not want it than want it and not have it...

LED head visors is an option that I think people will like. It seems that the LED gimmick has been given a bad name for HG's sins. Don't ever think that HG owns this gimmick. I for one would rather see the LEDs in the wing tips and such or possibly simulate leg thrusters.

376682[/snapback]

I agree. Only light up parts that should emit light. The camera assembly in Valkrie heads should not light up.....only in the Robocrap world and other silly toys.

Edited by peter