Robotech: Live Action Movie!?!?!?!?

I agree. It CAN be cool if they do it right. But there's just too many pitfalls that this movie can fall into.

Well if it flops , hopefully Japan would come up with something cooler in the near future.

For this garbage, they need the great Uwe Boll.

374397[/snapback]

That Tommy Yune art is disgusting. Ugh.

I couldn't of said it better myself. It just pains me to even think of an actual mass released live action film where every other word is "Veritech" much less seeing HG or Carl Macek on the credits. PUKE!!!!

Edited by Skullsixx

I like yune's art, not the best but still enjoyable. I look forward to this with caution but I wont pass judgement until i see more from it, more to the point, i wont pass judgement until it makes it to production. Most anime live action movies never get past preproduction (DBZ, Starblazers/Yamato, Sailor Moon, and Eva). This move makes sense because there are like 500 topics at RObotech.com saying "Cast the Live Action Movie!".

I think that artwork above was one of the other guys doing the Robotech comic books. When Tommy is doing the Macross characters, he tries to keep the stuff looking similar to how Mikimoto did the characters.

Here's an example of Tommy's work (also look on the boxes of the MPC toys):

GIM_423_2_742.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

I like yune's art, not the best but still enjoyable.  I look forward to this with caution but I wont pass judgement until i see more from it, more to the point, i wont pass judgement until it makes it to production.  Most anime live action movies never get past preproduction (DBZ, Starblazers/Yamato, Sailor Moon, and Eva).  This move makes sense because there are like 500 topics at RObotech.com saying "Cast the Live Action Movie!".

374585[/snapback]

I believe EVA is pretty much confirmed. There was an interview with Anno and the ADV dude. I think Weta confirmed it was working on EVA right after king kong.

All I can say is.... I'm glad that it will probably be based on the Macross Saga and New Gen/Mospeada will likely be unmutilated :)

374382[/snapback]

From everything that's been going on with the Shadow Chronicles, I think they (Harmony Gold) are interested more in creating new materials using Mospeada/New Generation as the spring board.

But right now we just have a very small bit of information to go by, so right now all we can do is speculate how any live action Robotech production may turn out.

See I still think a mech show can be done if taken seriously. When we saw ripley in the power loader beating up the alien queen in aliens, we were all convinced. It wasn't cheesy, the ships all looked and felt real, and we cared abut the characters.

I think James cameron need to make a macross movie. Just combine what he did with titanic, (the love story) and the darker aliens movie (violent gruesome deaths, sense of doom, the slimey-ness of aliens in general) and proper FX (loved the abyss and terminator 2) and voila! Live action version of DYRL.

What do you think? Independance day showed you could do the large scale dogfights. Just chuck it in space, using all the latest cg (ie star wars Prequel trilogy but with BSG realism) and you got macross.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I don't think there is any way they can use Macross mecha, they don't own the designs right? I know they own animation rights, but live action is totally different.

374427[/snapback]

Actually, they don't own the rights to use Macross designs in ANY derivative works whatsoever.

They can't them in new live-action OR animated productions. Hence why all the characters in The Sentinels were redesigned.

374430[/snapback]

However, they HAVE used Macross designs in derivative works, repeatedly. Comics and videogames.

If it uses the Macros TV/Robotech:TMS script I'll be a happy camper. :D I'm looking forward to this though if it is so! If the Evangelion L-A movie looks as good as it might, I could only imagine what the Robotech L-A movie would look like! I can only hope both Eva and Robotech movies turn out great!!! (Prays)

Excellent I've always wanted to be in a direct to DVD B movie featuring giant robots!  I was too young to be in Robo-Jock.    Now I have a chance for Robotech! 

I want to play the bossy Veritech Pilot Instructor who always insults the hero by saying things like,

"You think you're good enough to pilot a Robotech?  Robotech is about Robotech.  Robotech isn't about you.  It's about Robotech."

Then later once I see the hero grow into a real pilot,

"By the Robotech!  I was knew he was the Robotech."

lol

374370[/snapback]

That's friggin' hilarious!

Right from the start, Harmony Gold had been B Grade:

- B Grade tapes used for B Grade filming;

- B Grade script written by B Grade self proclaimed creator;

- B Grade dubbing with B Grade dialogues (I puke every time I hear Hikaru being called Rick Hunter);

- B Grade music with B Grade lyrics;

- B Grade Valk toys along with many more other B Grade merchandise...

- B Grade...B Grade...B Grade...all B Grades.

So, how will a Harmony Gold Robotech live action turn out:

B Grade CG!!.

GIVE UP!!! HG!!! :angry:

....so right now all we can do is speculate how any live action Robotech production may turn out.

374603[/snapback]

Let them screw it up once again: with a bit of luck, they'll go to bankrupt or something and their company will sink, allowing Big West to import all their original Macross goodness in the entire world :)

I think James cameron need to make a macross movie. Just combine what he did with titanic, (the love story)...

374638[/snapback]

I've thought about that idea for years... at one point in the live action Macross TV series, Hikaru would be standing with either Minmay or Misa at the front of the Macross with their arms extended out just like Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet with Celine Deon's song playing in the background ("Near... far... where ever you are..."). :p Funny thing is every time I hear that song on the radio, I immediately think of Macross DYRL or my live action Macross movie! :D

Just to due the special effects right I think the film minium budget would have to be 100 million. I don't think anyone is going to invest that much in it. Slash that budget about a dozen times. Expect the same budget and quality of those made for cable, video or sci-fi channel stuff.

Casting will consist of people you don't know but swear you've seen. There might a few soap opera actors and maybe one former A lister. I doubt that stick to Macross. Will be borrowing designs and themes from invid part of Robotech but there will be a complete new story and new characters. They will been trying to introduce Robotech to a whole new audience.

I think the title should even mention Robotech at all. This is because of my preference for Macross but "Robotech" while sounding good for a cartoon doesn't sound mature enough for a movie.

Should end up looking like Star Ship Troopers (II) or Wing Commander.

If they make this I not going to see it. I'd rather see a live action Macross movie with a U.S. Japan co-op with better writers and Shoji Kawamori at the helm as Producer and Director and Mechanical Designer.

A devious but splendours plan. Let’s pray. :rolleyes:

Let them screw it up once again: with a bit of luck, they'll go to bankrupt or something and their company will sink, allowing Big West to import all their original Macross goodness in the entire world  :)

374713[/snapback]

You know, I bet the Macross live action movie was gonna be a whole lot better.

374807[/snapback]

No...

If Gundam can't get it right... there is no hope for Macross.

375103[/snapback]

I think YLM was being sarcastic there... :lol:

They can get Mari Iijima to be Minmay in the Macross Live Action. :D Wouldn't that be a kicker?

I mean it's because it's not likely they'd do the TV series/DYRL story with a 16-18 year old Hikaru. :p

I adore Iijima's voice as Minmay but Iijima live as Minmay...Ah...I think I better stop right here before I am bombarded with hate mails :p.

They can get Mari Iijima to be Minmay in the Macross Live Action. :D  Wouldn't that be a kicker?

375158[/snapback]