Macross Zero Questions

Isoquant

I have SDF Macross, DYRL, and Macross Plus, and now I'd like to give Macross Zero a shot. I've been reading that alot of Macross fans have mixed feelings about this series, and for the most part it seems to not be as well regarded as the others.

Also, I'm not sure what version to get. I've seen a "Perfect Collection" listed on some anime vendor websites, but is this version legit? I know my "Perfect Edition" of DYRL isn't all that great. If I can manage it, I'd like to get a nice copy of it and not some poorly transferred bootleg with bad sound.

I'd gamble that you'd like Zero. The character and mecha designs are beautiful, and the story gives us the usual peace, love and war story triangle that's typical of the Macross universe.

Did I mention that the mecha designs are beautiful? Even if you don't like the story itself (I vomit from pacifist garbage), you'll watch the series again and again just for the intense mecha battles...Zero will make a VF-0 lover out of you...

Yep, Fx is bootleg. Worth buying because there aren't that many options. As for me, the picture quality is not good enough. Pixelation. I wonder why are people praising it then? I'm going to get the Japanese Dyrl someday, and load the subtitles for it. Though that's pretty pricy dvd IIRC, but it doesn't matter in this case.

Edit: D'oh, I should've read more carefully where I was replying, I was talking about the Dyrl Fx... :p

Edited by Sdf-1

I'll admit I haven't seen Zero yet either. Just the first ep. (Talk about a cliff-hanger, been a few years) And due to having dialup, it'd take several more years to d/l the rest. Some day (maybe 2012) there'll be high-quality US-licensed subs, but until then---what "Region 0" release to buy has the best subs?

I have SDF Macross, DYRL, and Macross Plus, and now I'd like to give Macross Zero a shot. I've been reading that alot of Macross fans have mixed feelings about this series, and for the most part it seems to not be as well regarded as the others.

Also, I'm not sure what version to get. I've seen a "Perfect Collection" listed on some anime vendor websites, but is this version legit? I know my "Perfect Edition" of DYRL isn't all that great. If I can manage it, I'd like to get a nice copy of it and not some poorly transferred bootleg with bad sound.

372205[/snapback]

I've got a bootLeg from ebay and though the subs get off track towards the last episode its not horrible. It could have been bettter. Overall the story is ok. You dont see much interms of the SDF1 or multiple types of mecha being tested like MacPlus. The end really had me asking WTF just happened and how does this tie into the Macross universe?

It's completely incomprehensible, which erases any possibility of a good story. You'll get the gist of the story, but the details will be lost, and it's the little things that count the most...

I'll admit I haven't seen Zero yet either.  Just the first ep. (Talk about a cliff-hanger, been a few years) And due to having dialup, it'd take several more years to d/l the rest.  Some day (maybe 2012) there'll be high-quality US-licensed subs, but until then---what "Region 0" release to buy has the best subs?

372227[/snapback]

Why wait until 2012... try a DSL line.

I liked Zero's ending. The role to be filled by the VF-1 is made, Roy's future as a distanced womanizer is realized, while Shin and what's-her-face embark on a spiritual journey of some sort...

I thought they needed to explain how the hell Aries got injured. They must have cut lots of stuff out.

It was pretty obvious how Aries got injured. Even without them showing it, it was pretty clear that Aries was critically injured when some of the damaged equipment that supported the head of the bird-human collapsed ontop of her, even though the scene changes just before it happens.

Yeah but did you feel it was rushed like a lot of people?

I thought they needed to explain how the hell Aries got injured. They must have cut lots of stuff out.

373560[/snapback]

It would have been nice if the series was a little longer, but the great combat sequences, superb animation, and beautiful ending made up for that one little fault.

I loved Zero!! I got a really good fan sub collection off of ebay. the first episode appears to be ANBU but the others aren't I don't think. I remember when they where first released Anbu had the best subs for episode 1 but someone else had better subs for the rest of the series. There was another thread awhile ago about who had the best subs for Zero and I pointed out the seller on ebay, who I bought my collection from, to some people here and they seemed to like it as well. I'm sure if you do a search you can find that old thread with the seller to look for on ebay.

Chris

I'd love to have a copy of that DVD, but the auction links are now long expired and it seems that just about every seller mentioned is "no longer registered" with Ebay. Is there a specific cover to look for? There's a zillion "all 5 eps" out there now, ranging from 1 to 3 discs, and I'm certain there's multiple 1-disc versions out there.

Any help/links appreciated. :)