In anticipation of KILL BILL Volume 1 & 2.

UN Spacy

Chiba???? lol He couldn't Hold Gordon Lius jock strap. :p Just kidding. :D Chiba is the man. I loved him in Kill Bill. It was cool to see him play a diff sort of character. The theatre where I saw Kill Bill showed previews of a few of his films before KillBill. Have any of you guys seen Ichi the killer? I'm thinking of seing it 2nite.

Yeah, this movie rocked! I liked how Quin over exaggerated the whole blood spilling from limbs thing. That's like so old school. Same with Uma wearing the yellow suit, man that reminded me of bruce lee when he wore that in enter the dragon? Or was it another one? Anyway was that intentional? I felt it was. And yeah sonny was awesome. I just wished they sonny training uma. Overall, I give this movie an A. I can't wait till the second one comes out, although I wish the whole samurai sword fight thing was saved for the second movie. Now I'm guessing the rest of the movie is going to have just guns and then when bill comes around it'll be the next sword fight. Can't wait! :p:D:lol:

Same with Uma wearing the yellow suit, man that reminded me of bruce lee when he wore that in enter the dragon? Or was it another one? Anyway was that intentional? I felt it was.

it was Game of Death, yeah, and when I first saw her in the outfit, the first thing that popped in my miind was bruce lee.

why do we have to wait till Feb. to see the next part!! argh, can't wait.

Hopefully, the last fight will be another awesome sword fight.

anyone know what Uma's character name is supposed to be? all that BLEEPING makes me wanna know

:lol:

Yeah, what was with all of that bleeping? And there was a couple of intentionally choppy edits, I assume to give it that crappy Drive-In feeling, that I thought were a little unnecessary.

Overall, I thought this movie was very good, but not perfect. Hopefully the second part will fill in some of the characterisation that I felt was missing. The action scenes were excellent, as was the soundtrack and the pacing, but I felt that there just wasn't enough story to be a truly great film. And I really hope that Lucy Lui gets more screen time in the second volume.

Daryl Hannah will have a swordfight against Uma in volume 2.

This volume 1 and 2 business is all based on part of Miramax's greed. Quentin had a 4-hour cut and wasn't willing to cut it down any further. Instead of releasing the film as-is, the greedy fat $%*#s at Miramax decided to split it into halves and make twice the money instead.

If the "intentionally choppy edits" you refer to are the red dots on a empty, white screen that may flash a few times througout the film (I didn't notice them when I saw it but many reported being annoyed by these interruptions when they saw the film), it's a tracking devise Miramax inserted into the film so they can ID which theaters the bootlegs are being made from.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

I gort mixed feelings about this movie. Some parts were really good and some parts blew chunks. The fight with Gogo was excellent, but the Lucy Lui finale was awful. I know Lucy Lui is some sort of black belt or something and she's done great martial art sequences in other movies. All I can say is Woo-ping Yuen must've took the day off when they filmed that scene.

The scene with Sonny Chiba and his helper was excellent.

And yeah, WTF is the deal with her name? Any guesses? How about Alabama? lol

I went in with high expectations, and left more than satisfied. The directing was flawless, I love the drawn out sequences, only a handfull of movies that ever tried it, actually got away with it. The sound effects were placed perfectly, and the humor timing was top notch. I wouldn't change a thing, and I definatly am looking forward to Febuary for Vol. 2. The DVD will be released about the same time for this movie, so that's awesome. Animation kicked ass, and Uma Thurman pulled her part off great (I had doubts on that role, but not now ;) ) and of course the bodyguard for Lucy Liu, well, she was just sexy.

He rules.  He's just about as cool as my favorite sushi chef.  :D

Chiba???? lol He couldn't Hold Gordon Lius jock strap.  :p  Just kidding. :D  Chiba is the man.  I loved him in Kill Bill.  It was cool to see him play a diff sort of character. The theatre where I saw Kill Bill showed previews of a few of his films before KillBill.  Have any of you guys seen Ichi the killer?  I'm thinking of seing it 2nite.

i feel sorry for you guys.

Ichi the Killer (or Koroshiya 1 if you prefer) was awesome. I have NEVER seen a movie like that before, and I've seen messed up stuff before. One of the best manga to movie translations.

Easily the most violent movie out there. Especially when Kakihara cuts off his tongue.

Make sure you watch the uncut one!!

Anyone else find this scene to be one of the funniest in the movie, besides of course Wucy Woos table speach?

I think the sushi chep scene was the best in the movie. Better than the table speech scene. Great dialogue.

The only thing that bothered me about the movie was when they decided to go black and white, you could totally tell Uma's stunt double was some short stocky Japanese guy. Don't get me wrong, I think the sword fights were awesome, but the black and white thing just added to much contrast. Maybe Quentin should of added the black and white in a different scene.

This just looks like a remake of 'Point Blank' (remade as Payback) with kung fu and a chick as the lead role. Is QT just doing another unathorised remake or am I wrong?

I think the sword fights were awesome, but the black and white thing just added to much contrast. Maybe Quentin should of added the black and white in a different scene.

From what I've heard the whole black and white scene is going to be shown in the United States (if THAT particular scene was shown as it was supposed to be then it would have recieved a NC-17 rating).

On the other hand (in places such as Japan) THAT particular scene is going to be shown in color. It all has to do with the censorship........ :ph34r:

i loved "pulp fiction" so i'm definately going to check this one out tonight. plus i'm with "exo's " earlier comment. i'm going to see deadly asian school-girl w/ her ball & chain. i'm a simple man to please :p

While Gogo and her ball and chain was cute, O-Ren's secretary was certainly hot. No mention of her in the trailers or anything.

Personally. I thought she was the most attractive actress in the entire movie (I still love Uma though........Pu$$y w@g0n).

When I saw the name Julie Dreyfus I thought the actress from Seinfeld was going to be in the movie. Hahahaha.

Here's Julie Dreyfus (with ol' QT) as Sofie Fatale. B)

post-26-1066064177_thumb.jpg

While Gogo and her ball and chain was cute, O-Ren's secretary was certainly hot.  No mention of her in the trailers or anything.

Personally. I thought she was the most attractive actress in the entire movie (I still love Uma though........Pu$$y w@g0n).

When I saw the name Julie Dreyfus I thought the actress from Seinfeld was going to be in the movie. Hahahaha.

Here's Julie Dreyfus (with ol' QT) as Sofie Fatale. B)

They should change her name to Eileen Fatale... ;)

damn,i left before the credits were done :( ,but this movie was badass. all i can say is mmmmmmmm-gogo ubari......very nice. i bet we'll never get to see lucy liu with her scalp cut in half again either hehehe. she was damn violent in this flick.never seen her in a role like that. :ph34r:

Just got back. Greatest movie I've ever seen! The *ONLY* other movie that trumps it is...

Scooby Doo: The Movie

Questions...

Wasn't Sofie Fatale played by Monica Belluci? Why wasn't she credited in the movie?

What happened to the alledged cameo from Samuel L Jackson? Edited out?

Who's character did Gordon Lui play? I don't remember seeing him in the film at all.

Originally posted by Lastblade

Oh yah, to those who love the Samurai Shodown series like I do, well, you will get a treat!!! You will see!

Please elaborate...I have all 5 SS games and cannot figure out what you are referring to...

Originally posted by RichC2

My friend commented that 3 couples walked out of his showing during the anime sequence... I honestly don't get the hate toward stylized animation.

Those people should be kidnapped, tied to their chairs and shown the last four episodes of Berserk

Originally posted by Gcomeau

I think the music totally made this masterpiece(never thought i'd hear Zamphir in this flick..or any flick).

You can thank The RZA(from former rap group The Wu-tang Clan) for that. He did the score.

btw, someone on another site mentioned there was an epilogue after the credits, but I didn't see one, did anyone else get one?

The "epilogue" seen in the critics screening was re-edited prior to wide release so it was shown before the credits rolled. The scene in question is where Bill reveals the fate of The Bride's child, so you did not miss it.

Wasn't Sofie Fatale played by Monica Belluci? Why wasn't she credited in the movie?

Because she wasn't in the movie. Sofie Fatale is played by Julie Dreyfus, a French who's actually fluent in Japanese.

Who's character did Gordon Lui play? I don't remember seeing him in the film at all.

He's the bald guy wearing the Kato mask, leader of the Crazy 88s. He'll return as a different character in Vol. 2.

Please elaborate...I have all 5 SS games and cannot figure out what you are referring to...

Hattori Hanzo, who appears in all the Samurai Shodown games, is named after a legendary ninja.

i loved "pulp fiction" so i'm definately going to check this one out tonight. plus i'm with "exo's " earlier comment. i'm going to see deadly asian school-girl w/ her ball & chain. i'm a simple man to please :p

Definatley the best fight scene in the whole movie, you can almost feel the blows from that ball thingy as it slams into Uma.

I picked up a preview DVD from Best Buy (movie and games trailers) and KILL BILL's trailer was on the DVD. It was interesting to see some of the clips from Volume 2 (in the trailer). Michael Jai White (showing off his weapon skills), Darryl Hannah (now wearing all black and kicking thru the air), and Uma fighting some old Sensei. Very interesting.........

I get the feeling that the last two KILLS (before Bill) will involve some heavy gunplay. B)

Ok, I have to put my twice cents worth (this doesn't seem to have been mentioned before),

I personally liked the movie, however, my wife was disgusted at the level of gore and violence that was shown. I was a bit surprised, in none of the reviews I have read (including this thread) was there much mention of the excessive gratuitous gore that was displayed on screen. I was caught abit off guard by it but accepted it, however, my wife was appalled that everyone in the theatre could sit so cavaliar through it all and take it all in without wincing or much reaction other than laughter. I tried to explain that it was part of the humour, that the blood gushing out of the severed limbs and torsos were exaggerated beyond belief, a homage to "old school" samaurai/kung-fu films - the absurdity of it told the viewer to not take it too seriously. But even I was at a loss to explain the split torsos when the samurai blades were torn out and the internals just exploded out all over everyone and onto the camera with the lens still dripping. A few carefully selected shots of blood spewing would of been enough to convey his message to the "old" films that were his inspirations - I find really no excuse for the continued and sustained on-slaught of these depictions. Have we been so desensitized to a point where such graphic violence and death is now just common place and widely accepted?

Now remember that I said I liked the movie - and I do. The fight choreography was tremendous (having met Master Ping himself - and been pulled up on his wire-rig harness for fun) I have a enormous amount of respect for the planning and execution of the fight sequences especially with so many combatants all at once. The cinematography was fantastic, and served the story well, the black & white emotional detachment that Uma had during the main fight sequence juxtaposed with a "blink" to the darkened blue background silouette fight scene was flawless. The slow-mo a-la "reservior dogs" scene of Lucy Lui and gang entering the restaurant to the Kill Bill theme was just "cool". The introduction of the anime sequence for background onto O-Ren's character was inspiring and of course who can deny the appeal of the school-girl body guard reference - Tarantino defly demonstrates his understanding of the genre and the Japanese culture. However, the best parts of the movie are not its graphic depiction of gore and blood splattered relentless everywhere. In fact, I would say its in spite of that.

There are necessary depictions of gore, such as Lucy Lui's beheading of her crime bosses for bringing up her origins - but its was nicely counter-balanced with her sarcastic speech dialog and served to further her character. It made a point, just like the brains splattered all over the rear windshield in "Pulp Fiction". However I don't really see the case for the extended bloodshed and projectile gushing of the internals that were so promenantly displayed throughout the extended fight sequences - and even I am at a loss to explain this. All I can say is a warning to those who have yet to see this film - its a good film on many differently levels, but be prepared for the exaggerated gore that will assault you - unless you are accustomed to such (if so, than I feel sorry for the state of our society) IMHO. On its most simplistic of terms it may be; "just a guy's movie".

Edited by wm cheng

I was a bit surprised, in none of the reviews I have read (including this thread) was there much mention of the excessive gratuitous gore that was displayed on screen.

The amount and level of violence in this film is pretty much a well known fact before it came out, but I am pretty sure many reviews have made a point to state the obvious.

I was caught abit off guard by it but accepted it, however, my wife was appalled that everyone in the theatre could sit so cavaliar through it all and take it all in without wincing or much reaction other than laughter.

It's called cartoon violence. Like you said, when the violence was so outrageous and obviously fake, a la Asian kung fu and crime flicks, laughing at and with it is only natural. It's the same reason everyone laughs when Wile E. Coyote meets a violent fate and why Itchy and Scratchy is popular. People raised in the old country probably won't get it, since they were taught to react with horror towards any kind of violence.

A few carefully selected shots of blood spewing would of been enough to convey his message to the "old" films that were his inspirations - I find really no excuse for the continued and sustained on-slaught of these depictions.  Have we been so desensitized to a point where such graphic violence and death is now just common place and widely accepted? 

Actually that was the whole point. I am pretty sure most of the audience jolted when Bill put that bullet into The Bride's head, or when Vivica's character tried to shoot Uma through the KABOOM cereal box, even if they knew it was coming. Having a few select shots in the main action setpiece instead would make them feel more violent or simply as sight gags. I think the sustained carnage was meant to give resonance to volume 1's final thoughts on revenge, and it also helps the audience feel how draining it must be by the time The Bride gets her showdown with Oren Ishii.

Edited by Jolly Rogers