In anticipation of KILL BILL Volume 1 & 2.

UN Spacy

that box set is so cool. wish the r1 set is as good as that. but it wont cuz we suck.

Dude, is your sig in reference to William Hung!?

IE the She Bangs guy. My GF knows him, they are in the same department at Berkeley.

• 1 month later...
that box set is so cool. wish the r1 set is as good as that. but it wont cuz we suck.

Dude, is your sig in reference to William Hung!?

IE the She Bangs guy. My GF knows him, they are in the same department at Berkeley.

No way. Small world eh? I was in Berkeley (near Telegraph Ave.) right after the A's game. Such an interesting bunch of folks.....a GREAT college town. Plenty of cute looking girls walking to and from campus. :p

BTW.....we're only a week away from Volume 2.

If you haven't seen the NEW trailer then check it out here.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/kill...ume_II/trailer/

B))B))B))

Who else does she fight other than Elle (Daryl Hannah) and Bill (David Carradine) in Vol. 2? If those two are all that's left, sounds boring to me. To be honest, I didn't care for much of the fighting in Vol. 1 other than with the Crazy 88s (that was some good sh!te :D ).

Who else does she fight other than Elle (Daryl Hannah) and Bill (David Carradine) in Vol. 2? If those two are all that's left, sounds boring to me. To be honest, I didn't care for much of the fighting in Vol. 1 other than with the Crazy 88s (that was some good sh!te :D ).

Ah.....I think there's Bud (Michael Madson). But from what I've seen in the trailer he doesn't do too much fighting. :p

I think a good deal of Volume 2 will be used to show the Bride's past and more importantly, her training to become an assassin by Master Pei-Pei, played by the irrepressible Gordon Liu.

P.S.: Look for a load of good ol' fashioned Desparado esque gunplay when the Bride meets Budd (Madsen's character) B))

Edited by wakobi

Vol. 2 won't be an action fest like vol. 1. Those who whined vol. 1 was a mindless slaughterhouse flick with no clever dialog or writing will be happy to know that they'll get what they wanted in spades in vol. 2.

Still debating whether to pick up the vol. 1 DVD or wait for both parts to come out in 1 package as they were meant to be...

Still debating whether to pick up the vol. 1 DVD or wait for both parts to come out in 1 package as they were meant to be...

Wait! I've ehard the Vol 1 DVD doesn't have much at all in extras and pale sin comparison to the overseas release. Most likely Trantino will release a dual movie set (ya know one of those Special Ultimate Superbit 5 Star Criterion Collector's Edition) sometime in the future with everything. Might as well wait for that.

Also hoping a box set comes out for the Matrix as I refuse to buy any of those films seperate and extra DVDs seperate.

The Matrix Online section of the Matrix Revolution DVD contains interviews with the an earlier development team that's no longer onboard, something of an oversight that the DVD production team didn't get rid of but will be removed in future pressings. Might wanna get the "error" version since it won't be available in the future. B))

Well....it's only two days away. Is anyone going to catch a Sneak Preview? :lol:

It also looks like they cut out Michael Jai White's (the black dude) scenes all together. :(

Arghhh.....just wasted money on the Hong Kong DVD release of Kill Bill. Not only does it feature the crappy black and white fight scene, which sucks as here in Hong Kong we were originally treated to the glorious full color uncensored theatrical release, but also it has no English subtitles, which really sucks as a lot of the film is in Japanese. This is pretty unusual for a HK DVD release as being a so-called 'international city', with a large expat population, most DVDs here come with both English and Chinese subs. Oh well, that'll teach me for not doing any research before I buy.

Anyway, after doing a bit of research, it seems like the only DVD release which features the full color fight and has English subs is the Japanese R2 version, which is due for release on April 16th. I've already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon.co.jp. If you want to see the film how it is supposed to be seen now you know which version to order.

As I've watched both color and black and white versions of the fight scene with the Bride against the Crazy 88s my opinion is that once you have seen the color version, you will never want to see it in black and white again and after all, color is originally the way Tarantino filmed it.

Lastly.....censorship sucks!

Graham

Reported from Dark Horizons

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040410g.php

DavisDVD reports that filmmaker Quentin Tarantino has some major plans for his latest opus, Kill Bill. While promoting the second volume of the series, opening theatrically on April 16th, Tarantino revealed that he plans to recut both films together for a special theatrical release later in the year.

"We did a special version [of Volume 1] for Japan that's only been shown in Japan and Hong Kong, and I kept the rights to that," Tarantino said. "I'll put the Japanese version together [with Volume 2] like I would if it was one complete movie, and then I'll release that throughout America and Europe in arthouse engagements."

Tarantino also promises more extensive DVD plans for the revenge films. "I'm going to do a special collector's edition of both of them once I'm finished with both of them," he said. Also in the talking phase, Tarantino is considering the possibility of releasing stand-alone supplemental discs. "One of the things that I saw that I liked... was what the American Pie guys did with their 'Beneath the Crust' documentaries. I want to do the same thing [for Kill Bill]."

Listening to the radio this morning, there was a report about the quality of the DVD was substandard and grainy. Also there were basically close to no extras on the disk. Did anyone get to view it yet?

Maybe I'll just wait for the box set. <_<

Well....it's only two days away. Is anyone going to catch a Sneak Preview? :lol:

It also looks like they cut out Michael Jai White's (the black dude) scenes all together. :(

Was that guy in the first one?

Listening to the radio this morning, there was a report about the quality of the DVD was substandard and grainy. Also there were basically close to no extras on the disk. Did anyone get to view it yet?

That's a bunch of poo-poo. I watched it last night and the quality is superb.

How could it be a bad transfer when the film is less than a year old? :blink:

From the DVDJournal.com -

Miramax presents Kill Bill Volume 1 in anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1), and both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS audio. A fine transfer, this title probably is best enjoyed at high volume.

They ain't kidding, either. The sound rocks.

But waiting for the box set is probably a good idea. I wouldn't have bought the disc myself, but my g/f loves it and bought it herself (now she has almost 10 DVDs on the shelf... I have over 300 :p )

This bit about the box was posted on thedigitalbits.com

First up, according to the latest issue of Video Business, director Quentin Tarantino has big plans for both Kill Bill, Volume 1 and Volume 2 on DVD. The director has been quoted as saying that he cut an alternate version of Kill Bill, Volume 1 for release in Japan, that will be released in the States eventually. This version contains both new footage and omissions. He also plans to assemble a complete 4-hour version of both films together for art house theatrical screenings. Look for a multi-disc "major special edition" of both films on DVD, which may include significant deleted scenes (including the original introduction to the character of Bill, who originally fought Michael Jai White, as well as the original scene at the wedding chapel). Tarantino is also reportedly considering releasing additional stand-alone supplemental discs after the main DVD release. He was apparently inspired to do this by Universal's recent American Pie: Beneath the Crust DVDs.

Okay Quentin... we're ALL for a killer Kill Bill mega special edition, believe me. But the Beneath the Crust additional bonus disc idea is lame. Beneath the Crust did little but piss off fans who had already purchased multiple versions of the American Pie films on DVD - you could only get them by buying yet ANOTHER version of the films. Our advice is just release one massive special edition with everything, and if you really have to do more, wait for high-definition. Just our two cents.

I'm just glad to hear the color version in the Japan release will be available eventually here.

Ya I bought the DVD last night. Best Buy had a thing where you could buy Resivoir Dogs with Kill Bill for 19.99. I had some extra paypal money so... My region 2 copy will be here some time next week. The Japanese release date is April 16th.

The sound is awesome. The video looks great. I've read a few bad reviews of the video. I dunno what they are talking about. Extras are a making of the film and that lame Japanese band playing some tunes...not much.

Edited by dejr8bud

Well....it's only two days away. Is anyone going to catch a Sneak Preview?  :lol:

It also looks like they cut out Michael Jai White's (the black dude) scenes all together.  :(

You can see a couple of his scenes in the original Volume 1 trailer (you can't miss him....he's the only black dude doing kung fu). :lol:

Anyone catch Uma Thurman on Conan O'Brien last night (kekekekekeke)?

QT is supposed to be on tonight. B))

Thanx for the reminder about Conan, I almost forgot, well actually I did. Can you believe there are like 5 dorks standing inline already at the theater next door? WTF

Thanx for the reminder about Conan, I almost forgot, well actually I did. Can you believe there are like 5 dorks standing inline already at the theater next door? WTF

:blink:

For Kill Bill? :lol:

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I think the only movies I've waited in line for (at least an hour or more) were truly worth it (never overnight....that's just fanboy loser-ish).

Listening to the radio this morning, there was a report about the quality of the DVD was substandard and grainy.  Also there were basically close to no extras on the disk.  Did anyone get to view it yet?

That's a bunch of poo-poo. I watched it last night and the quality is superb.

How could it be a bad transfer when the film is less than a year old? :blink:

From the DVDJournal.com -

Miramax presents Kill Bill Volume 1 in anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1), and both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS audio. A fine transfer, this title probably is best enjoyed at high volume.

They ain't kidding, either. The sound rocks.

But waiting for the box set is probably a good idea. I wouldn't have bought the disc myself, but my g/f loves it and bought it herself (now she has almost 10 DVDs on the shelf... I have over 300 :p )

This bit about the box was posted on thedigitalbits.com

First up, according to the latest issue of Video Business, director Quentin Tarantino has big plans for both Kill Bill, Volume 1 and Volume 2 on DVD. The director has been quoted as saying that he cut an alternate version of Kill Bill, Volume 1 for release in Japan, that will be released in the States eventually. This version contains both new footage and omissions. He also plans to assemble a complete 4-hour version of both films together for art house theatrical screenings. Look for a multi-disc "major special edition" of both films on DVD, which may include significant deleted scenes (including the original introduction to the character of Bill, who originally fought Michael Jai White, as well as the original scene at the wedding chapel). Tarantino is also reportedly considering releasing additional stand-alone supplemental discs after the main DVD release. He was apparently inspired to do this by Universal's recent American Pie: Beneath the Crust DVDs.

Okay Quentin... we're ALL for a killer Kill Bill mega special edition, believe me. But the Beneath the Crust additional bonus disc idea is lame. Beneath the Crust did little but piss off fans who had already purchased multiple versions of the American Pie films on DVD - you could only get them by buying yet ANOTHER version of the films. Our advice is just release one massive special edition with everything, and if you really have to do more, wait for high-definition. Just our two cents.

I'm just glad to hear the color version in the Japan release will be available eventually here.

Thenks Boss!

I'll pick it up if I can find it cheap. I'll give it to my nephew, it's his favorite movie so far...

Well....it's only two days away. Is anyone going to catch a Sneak Preview?  :lol:

It also looks like they cut out Michael Jai White's (the black dude) scenes all together.  :(

You can see a couple of his scenes in the original Volume 1 trailer (you can't miss him....he's the only black dude doing kung fu). :lol:

Anyone catch Uma Thurman on Conan O'Brien last night (kekekekekeke)?

QT is supposed to be on tonight. B))

No clue who you are talking about.

I just saw Kill Bill last night. What a disappointment, the fights sucked balls and it wasn't very entertaining.

Man, I really wanted to see it too after hearing how good it was.

I think you might have seen the wrong movie, maybe you accidently put "Gili" into the DVD player... Or possibly you were sitting on a tac whilst watching, hence ruining your experience.

Kill Bill was my #1 movie for last year.

I just saw Kill Bill last night. What a disappointment, the fights sucked balls and it wasn't very entertaining.

Man, I really wanted to see it too after hearing how good it was.

I thought KB1 was well done but a bit short. Anyway I'm anticipating getting a Kill Bill DVD set with both flicks since I'm not gonna see the second film in the theater. As the anti-social person I am :o:p:lol: I suspect there's gonna be CosPlayers in line. Whether it's Go-Go or Crazy 88 my buddies would just call them "FREAKS" :p. Seriously though I've no desire to see it there, but that's just me. B))

Anyone order the Premium box set? I did!!!! only 93 dollars shipped!!! go to hmv.co.jp you can browse in english too.

That's sounds like a real big premium box set. :blink:

Does it also include a samurai sword? :lol:

I'm checkin the website right now (either THAT or E-Bay).

I was on the fence about seeing this movie as I really liked Reservoir Dogs a lot, I liked Pulp Fiction, I didn't care too much for Jackie Brown and I was anticipating the sliding scale of enjoyment of Tarantino films would continue with this one as well. I bought it on DVD last night and decided to pop it in the player.

Two words: Terribly Dissapointed.

This is not a Tarantino film. I don't know what it is but it is not Tarantino. The trademark witty banters? Not there. The Trademark stranger than fiction plot twists? Not there. The quirky characters? Not really there either.

I now know why I did not go to see this film in the theaters. It's shallow, self absorbed and all it's "style" and "substance" that people kept attributing to it are merely stolen from other, better movies. The action is played out, the dialogue is boring and completely un-funny and the plot is just about a straight arrow with little to no twists, turns or suprises... all things I would not expect in a true Tarantino film. I generally do not put much faith in movie critics but they where mostly right on this one. The movie almost feels like someone trying their hardest to imitate Tarantino's style but failing miserably in the process. Tarantino seems to be using special effects, editing tricks and quick camera cuts rather than his talent in this movie... I rate this movie as Tarantino's Phantom Menace. I know the man can do better but he basically phoned this one in IMHO. If you like to see nonsensical cartoony hack and slash then this is the movie for you.

I think I will go see KB2 just to see if perhaps all the plot, quirky dialogue and true Tarantino film making went into the second part of this movie... because so far part one is just a blood-soaked mess.

I saw an interview with Tarantino where he claimed Kill Bill was 'the' movie he wanted to make. I don't think he is out to make the most brilliant, original films in history - just cool ones. The same goes for Lucas where he claims he is making the Star Wars films for kids, not fanboys. While the new Star Wars films are just boring, I thought Kill Bill rocked. It was fun to watch and I liked the characters. I felt like part of the style was that it was supposed to look like old samurai films.

That's the problem though, outside of swords and samurai combat it looks nothing like the old samurai movies. It has some of the themes of those movies but not the feel or the look. To me, the movie feels far too "rip off" and less "homage". Too much blood... way too much blood. I guess people are supposed to laugh at that sort of thing but it just put me off as being stupid. It works in anime but not in a live action movie. Even when the big fight scene went into black and white it still came off as a shallow imitation of anime, not a classic samurai movie.

Plus the dialogue! Ugh! "I will collect your F**king head."... my ass. Lucy Liu came off as wooden as she has in every other movie she has been in... I'm actually glad they killed her. One positive note to this movie: while watching it I wanted all the characters to die... and guess what, they did!

If the movie was supposed to be this shallow, cliche and predictable then Tarantino did a good job. As for this being the movie he always wanted to do I would have rather seen this be his first movie... if it was he most likely would be directing cereal commercials or writing for Fangoria today rather than making more movies. Seriously, compare this movie to his first movies... they are so different it is not funny.

I liked Tarantino's first offerings and this one is nothing like them. This movie is all hollywood celluloid sellout and not the quirky, subtle evil of his first films. I fell in love with the young, eager, ear cutting, shooting Travolta on the can Tarantino... not the "Tarantino doing Tarantino doing the old movies" person that made this movie.

From the sound of your review, JSA... it sounds like you kinda expect QT to make the same "style" of film over and over again.

I've got a bit of a different take on it. Personally, I dig the varied styling. To me, Jackie Brown is a great movie, but it's a very faithful take on Elmore Leonard, as opposed to being anything like Pulp or Dogs.

Same thing pretty much goes for Kill Bill, in my opinion. It's definitely more of an homage to bloody kung fu than anything else. Personally, I thought KB1 was like seeing a great visual director tackle material that most "Auteurs" dismiss completely.

Too many authors, directors, etc usually follow up success with trying to repeat a formula... which is usually a bad thing as they continually get worse and worse. I think it's safe to say that QT's films haven't gotten worse, just different.

Of course, that all depends on whether you like what the results are, which I do... I hope he doesn't try to revolutionize the chick flick or anything. Then he'll likely lose me completely. ;)

Well, that is my problem then. The monkey danced for me and I loved it. I want the monkey to keep dancing, not play the piano.

Director's change to stay fresh all the time and still keep their edge. Look at the Coen brothers, their movies are all "alike" but still different and I love every one of them and so do a lot of people. I think Tarantino just gets off watching blood spurt from stumps. :p

Edit! Edit!:

I have my thoughts in a nice package now: This movie is Tarantino's "Jersey Girl". He has changed his mythos in new directions and I am not with him.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

I was kinda dissapointed with this movie as well. I lost interest is excessive gore around the same time I grew hair on my balls. The only thing I really liked was the swords. There were some really nice designs in this flick.