In anticipation of KILL BILL Volume 1 & 2.

UN Spacy

My R2 boxset showed up today. pretty cool. its a shame the US doesn't get a box like this. I'll take some pics tonight. Video/audio quality are the same as the R1 disc. It has English subs but when the characters talk in Japanese there are no subs. Plus it has a Japanese dub. There seems to be more extras on the DVD too. I'll compare when I get a chance.

About the color fight scene. Much better. Plus there are few different angles as well. Also something I noticed. When Uma has Sofia in the trunk of the car, they show her cutting off Sofia's other arm. Blood sprays all over the trunk etc.

Saw vol 2 this past weekend. Pretty good. I was entertained. Its a contrast to the first film that's for sure. More story/character driven and more realistic violence.

I'd like to see a version with the two films edited together.

EDIT: Actually after further review the subs are there but you have to turn them on. But then all of the dialogue is subtitled. Unlike the R1 version where they pop just for the Japanese dialogue.

Edited by dejr8bud

Thats kinda weird man... because right after you said that I checked my copy of the Japanese release I got over the Net on the weekend and they do show the scene you talking about with her in the trunk...BUT right before that when Sophi is rolling down the snow covered enbankment to the hospital as she is rolling you can clearly see her right Hand is unharmed You can see her Hand when she is rolling down the slope....... :ph34r:

My R2 boxset showed up today. pretty cool. its a shame the US doesn't get a box like this. I'll take some pics tonight. Video/audio quality are the same as the R1 disc. It has English subs but when the characters talk in Japanese there are no subs. Plus it has a Japanese dub. There seems to be more extras on the DVD too. I'll compare when I get a chance.

There's no English subs for the Japanese dialog on the R2 version?!!! Arghhhhh!!!!!!

Oh well, I'm gonna have to order an R1 version as well then so I can have English Subs for the Japanese bits, then pop in the R2 disc when it's time for the big fight.

Oh well, that means I'll have bought a R1, R2 and R3 DVDs in my quest for the perfect Kill Bil vol.1 home viewing experience.......sigh <_<

Graham

Uhhhh.... I might just be missing something but the spoken Japanese in KB1 is not subtitled at all. I looked around on my DVD for the fuction to turn on the subtitles but it just subtitles the spoken English and not the Japanese.

Edit: I have the R1 disc, widescreen. If anyone knows how to turn on the subs for the Japanese dialogue I would love to know how as it is one of the things that I still strongly dislike about the first part.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

The scenes involving Hanzo and his apprentice in the sushi bar was subtitled in the theatrical release. Check your DVD and see if that scene was subtitled (it should be).

I'm holding out for the super duper edition that reunites the 2 parts as they were meant to be seen, with all the extras that should have been included.

There's no English subs for the Japanese dialog on the R2 version?!!! Arghhhhh!!!!!!

Oh well, I'm gonna have to order an R1 version as well then so I can have English Subs for the Japanese bits, then pop in the R2 disc when it's time for the big fight.

Oh well, that means I'll have bought a R1, R2 and R3 DVDs in my quest for the perfect Kill Bil vol.1 home viewing experience.......sigh <_<

Graham

Actually after further review the subs are there but you have to turn them on. But then all of the dialogue is subtitled. Unlike the R1 version where they pop just for the Japanese dialogue.

Edited by dejr8bud

Actually after further review the subs are there but you have to turn them on. But then the all of the dialogue is subtitled. Unlike the R1 version where they pop just for the Japanese dialogue.

Phew, that's OK then. Actually, I haven't had time to look at my R2 KB1 DVD yet as it only arrived yesterday.

Graham

The scenes involving Hanzo and his apprentice in the sushi bar was subtitled in the theatrical release. Check your DVD and see if that scene was subtitled (it should be).

OK,

The only way I can get the subs to kick in is to select "English for the Hard of Hearing" and it now subtitles everything... it even goes as far as subtitling sound effects, music and noises.

When I watched the DVD the first two times through no subs of any kind came up on screen durring any part... I just ran auto play, I guess it does not sub anything when you just autoplay it.

The only way I can get the subs to kick in is to select "English for the Hard of Hearing" and it now subtitles everything

Then you know what you gotta do. Go to an indoor range and shoot some .44mag or .50AE without hearing protection. Then you'll qualify as hard of hearing :p

Graham

Then you know what you gotta do. Go to an indoor range and shoot some .44mag or .50AE without hearing protection. Then you'll qualify as hard of hearing  :p

Graham

WHAT?

YEAH, YOU CAN USE IT!

:p

Damn, now that I figured out how to make the stupid stubtitles kick in I'm having to re-watch part 1 again all the way through to pick up all the stuff I missed before. This movie makes a lot more sense when you know what everyone is saying... the only drawback is now I'm used to my movies subtitling everything from jet engine noise to rockabilly music to woosh woosh noises. :ph34r:

... but I'm still noticing a few scenes that are not subtitled still or are just subtitled fo-ne-ti-ca-ly and it's kind of annoying... but still, at least being able to tell what they are saying now for most of the important scenes is a big help.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Damn, now that I figured out how to make the stupid stubtitles kick in I'm having to re-watch part 1 again all the way through to pick up all the stuff I missed before.

:D:D:D

You might want to check out the Sound Setup section for the movies in your library that has "sound problems" on your super duper 6.1 sound system. Most movies allow you to configure the soundtrack to take advantage of DTS and other setups, but autoplay does not always configure to best take advantage of your sound system.

KB1 DVD autoplays on my system and the DTS, 5.1 PRO LOGIC and DIGITAL lights all light up on the DVD player and receiver like a christmas tree. My DVD player has a setting that you can set the autoplay start criteria, i.e. sound mode, picture mode, screen ratio, junk like that. I remember going in and setting all those setting to the max when the Hi Fi store people installed my system last year. The issue, people keep telling me, is with the volume encoding on the center channel audio track. All the speakers are playing at regular volume but the center (dialogue) seems like it has such a low volume level.

Those same people have also told me that my system is meant to be used "cranked" with the volume up around 15 on the dial but I live in a town house and a volume level of 15 on my Denon dial would sound like someone was actually fighting the Crazy 88's in my living room to the nice old lady next door. I played the movie back just now on my PC which has a 5.1 digital speaker setup on it and it sounds just fine... once again the dialogue is a little low but I can hear it better. Of course the center channel PC speaker is like two feet from my head. :p

My KB1 PB came with a special treat not part of the set. It is the Rider suit DVD case. It is a vinyl zippered jacket for the DVD case. I bought the set from HMV for a total of 93 dollars and it didnt mention the Rider suit. Cool huh?

9a_1.JPG

Edited by Solscud007

I've seen a few of those slip covers on ebay. Pretty neat. 93.00 shipped is a good price for the boxset(I paid around 80.00 shipped from amazon.jp). Check ebay if you want to see insane prices. Some ended at 200.00. Other places are charging around 150.00.

I have a pet peeve. My R2 DVD came with a discount ticket for Kill Bill 2 when it opens in Japan. You'd think the US version could have came with one.... <_<

Edited by dejr8bud

I saw the movie. Loved it. Gordon Liu kicks ass. The Bride's real name is corny. But I have one question.

Why didn't Kevin Smith thought of that Superman Analogy?! That part sounded like something he would've wrote to the word! Makes me wonder if that was a nod Kevin Smith's movies, as it's kinda out of place (but interesting nonetheless).

It has English subs but when the characters talk in Japanese there are no subs.

That is not true. I watched some of mine (havent watched all of it) but the fight scenes and the anime part are in japanese but have english subs. Like when Oren speaks japanese when her and Kiddo fight. It is subbed.

Of course the special features are not subbed. liek itnerview with animator and such.

I checked out the special features.

There are the following

Interviews: Quentin, (some producer guy), Uma, Sonny Chiba, Lucy Liu, Chiyaki (gogo)

there is a full shot by shot story board shown with the animated sequence.

There is a photo gallery and animated sketches.

There is sort of an enemy list of the 6 groups/people she fought in the movie. (kidna shows you the fight scenes and only the fight scenes.

1. Copperhead

2. Crazy 88

3. Gogo

4. Crazy 88

5. Johnny Mo

6. Cottonmouth

Interview with animators

Sort of on-the-set home video

Trailers: original movie As whole and Trailers for Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

And TV spot commercials.

Edited by Solscud007

It has English subs but when the characters talk in Japanese there are no subs.

That is not true. I watched some of mine (havent watched all of it) but the fight scenes and the anime part are in japanese but have english subs. Like when Oren speaks japanese when her and Kiddo fight. It is subbed.

Of course the special features are not subbed. liek itnerview with animator and such.

Ya I figured that out lol I was in hurry when I was checking it out earlier.

I dunno "special" DVD covers usually only serve to get in the way. I like the normal boring cases, they stack nice and allow for easy access.

Still, if  you're into that... (like the Aliens jap dvd set) they are kinda neat in their own way.

Ya I'm a sucker for special packaging like that. I'll have to see if I can find one of those.

Hey Solscud007 any idea what the "other" Japanese subtitle track is for?

I haven't had a chance to watch to all of the DVD yet.

Edited by dejr8bud

I dunno "special" DVD covers usually only serve to get in the way. I like the normal boring cases, they stack nice and allow for easy access.

Still, if  you're into that... (like the Aliens jap dvd set) they are kinda neat in their own way.

Ya I'm a sucker for special packaging like that. I'll have to see if I can find one of those.

Hey Solscud007 any idea what the "other" Japanese subtitle track is for?

I haven't had a chance to watch to all of the DVD yet.

I dunno I thought it might have been a hearing impaired one but It didnt do much. I only entertained it for like a few minutes. Also I hate that there are no subs for the japanese speaking parts when using the first japanese subtitile track. I guess they assume there arent too many hearing impaired people in japan. or something.

And here is the money exposed shot!!! whooo damn sexy dvd!!!! haha :D:p

By any chance, is this the package that comes with the shirt, sword etc. I was wanting to get one of those, and just curious to know what quality the 1/10th scale sword was. Any help appreciated, thanx.

Yes it is. THe 1/10 scale sword is pretty good. I give it a 9 out of 10.

It comes separated (handle/grip, blade, hilt/guard, sheath, stand, red felt/carpet, Kill Bill sign.

The sign and stand does not need to be assembled. The sword does. The blade is not full tang. "tang" mean that the blade is one solid piece of metal that runs all the way to the bottom of the grip where the pommel would be. The 1/10 scale is like 1/4 tang. It just plugs into the grip and stick 1/4 the way in. The blade does have the Hanzo Hattori logo. The sheath is detailed but the ropes are molded into the sheath rather than actual thread. The stand allows for the sheath and sword to be displayed separately. And it all sits on a little red felt carpet. With a little sign that says "Kill Bill." Because the sword is rather small the details are a not exactly to proportion. Like teh Hanzo logo is a little big.

I will take pictures tonight when I get home.

• 3 months later...
Has anyone here picked up Vol. 2? The movie itself is good, but you have to check out the deleted scene where Bill faces Michael Jai White in a swordfight.

I saw short clip of that on Ebert and Roeper.....looks very NICE.

Do you guys think QT is gonna release a better DVD release of Vol 1 and 2 down the road?

I sure hope so because I'm gonna pass up the initial releases and wait it out. :ph34r:

Do you guys think QT is gonna release a better DVD release of Vol 1 and 2 down the road?

I sure hope so because I'm gonna pass up the initial releases and wait it out. :ph34r:

Miramax has already said that they plan on releasing several different versions on DVD. Stupid thing for them to say, but they said it.

I heard Quentin refer to the theatrical version as the "Directors Cut", but you know there are more goodies out there that didn't make it into the final cut. The swordfight on Vol.II is a prime example.

I bought Vol 2 in best buy in Tuesday, and got the free box to hold both volumes. Haven't watched it yet.

This is all the Kill Bil money they're getting from me though, even if a later release has the full color crazy 88 fight, which you know is going to happen in the Special Editions that will come out soon. I loved Kill Bill, but I'm not double dipping on it.

Edited by Anubis

I bought vol 2 on Tuesday to go with my volume 1... since my old system bit the dust in a lightning strike last month and I'm on my new system now the old sub issues that I was having are long gone. Guess it must have just been that Sony player I had. My new Toshiba PSDVD player even subs the different actors in different colors... Kiddo's speaking in green while Hanzo speaks in yellow, things like that. Rewatched part one last night before bed and will watch part 2 tonight... when my wife is out (she still hates part one, too much blood).

KB 1 and 2 in progressive scan with a DTS system backing them up is better than in the theaters... I may never go to a movie house again.

Has anyone here picked up Vol. 2? The movie itself is good, but you have to check out the deleted scene where Bill faces Michael Jai White in a swordfight.

That was great! It screamed lates 70's early 80's kung-fu flick. :D