Macross At New York Toy Fair

Harlock Fan

They don't look too much different from the prototypes. I keep thinking that armor is almost a given but I shall wait for confirmation.

Actually, I think that's a confirmation. See that hole on Focker's 1S arm on the first pic...its definitely the hole for the fastpacks

EDITED : oppps... what I meant was theyre gonna release a separate release of the fastpacks with focker in it too....darn it Toyna-crap

aaajin

Edited by aaajin

Actually, I  think that's a confirmation. See that hole on Focker's 1S arm on the first pic...its definitely the hole for the fastpacks

EDITED : oppps... what I meant was theyre gonna release a separate release of the fastpacks with focker in it too....darn it Toyna-crap

371247[/snapback]

Good Eye, I notice that late. I hope too that fasttpacks are comming later. That is what made the later Banprestos nice. Too bad they did not do TV ones for Hikaru, Max and Millia.

I saw that too, but the backpack don't have holes so I guess they are adding something a la 1/55s to install boosters.  They also took the knee caps from the 1/48.

371265[/snapback]

they'll add the holes on the backpack last minute that they'll screw it up. the holes are too big and the fastpacks are loose like hell :D

Edited by aaajin

Considering how good the Macross offer is ...

On Zincpanic they mentioned the possiblity of a SOC VF... now THAT WILL BE SO SWEET.  Just check how cool toys are getting lately, more and more "collectors" toys (wich are NOT McFarlane).  No way I spend on crappy rubbery PVC anymore... for shelf space sake and because my wife will cut my balls if my toys ever goes out of the "toy room".

So my advice would be... dont spend your moolah on crap and save it for the good stuff.

371175[/snapback]

BS. No way!!! :o:o:o

Edited by kensei

See that's just it. The collector stuff toynami released WAS the crap stuff. But if the cheap stuff turns out pretty good I'm interested. If those cheapies turn out better than the MPC, those MPC fans must be undergoing some huge damage control right now for the money they spent.

I will hold off until I hear reviews. I don't like the skinny thigh and think that is one of the weaknesses of it so far.

Somebody mentioned before that if it weren't for the toynami vf1 we might not have even seen the yamato 1/48. Ironic when you think of it. In a strange way it is still good news for fans of macross who couldn't afford to buy the more expensive stuff in large number but wanted a PT cheapie. I think the prob for me with the MPC is they were trying to play up the whole: "these are the best rendition of vf1 you will ever see!" and could kinda get away with the high price due to fanboys not being honest with themselves about whether the money they spent was really worth it for the quality of the toy inside. (ie people opening the box and being disapointed. But to thier credit they improved with later releases)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I don't get all the Macross Purist hate. I welcome more affordable toys in a smaller scale.

I'll admit, in the pics on the Toynami website, the toys look worse. But that's probably because they're still using the old pictures they had waiting from before Toy Fair. I'm betting that the prototypes at Toy Fair were closer to the production model than whatever they took pictures of for the Toynami site.

The opaque canopies are really the weak point here.

With regards to this SOC Valkyerie rumour,

What happened was that when Bandai gave their "hints" earlier this year as to what SOC's would be coming out this year, a "large size" robot was the last one listed. ZP then posted a list of the largest anime robots that had a shot at getting the SOC treatment, the SDF-1 was inculded in their list of posisble candidates.

As it happens, the actual mecha in question is the Gunbuster & so there is no Macross anything currently rumoured for the SOC lines near future.

These 1/100's are looking very nice, I want a couple and they would make great presents for some less zealous fans that I know.

Do not forget this is TOYNAMI.

The same company that uses the term MASTERPIECE to describe FLOPPY LEGGEDED, QC plagued, poorly painted, cheeply made, cheep looking, atrocious POS-and then have the nerve to charge what they do. When a company puts 1/100 of the energy into the toy that they put into the box, there should be red flags.

And did I read that these toys are cheap? Anyone see the tag on the Hikaru? Sheesh.

I hope TOYNAMI goes under soon, and HG hired Yamato to make some real toys. Otherwise, their new project is doomed before it even gets off the ground. They need the 3rd party products to keep this series afloat. And TOYNAMI is NOT the company to do it.

Not to mention that the BETA FIGHTER is taking them what? 2 years to release? I bet you money it will be a wonderful toy. As long as you never take it out of its box.

Way to go HG. Keep it up.

hope TOYNAMI goes under soon, and HG hired Yamato to make some real toys. Otherwise, their new project is doomed before it even gets off the ground. They need the 3rd party products to keep this series afloat. And TOYNAMI is NOT the company to do it.

Toynami's creation is as much a product of Japanese in-fighting over the rights as it is Harmony Gold's. Didn't I hear that HG actually did try to make an arrangement with Yamato only to have Bandai throw a fit? I think it was something like that.....

The same company that uses the term MASTERPIECE to describe FLOPPY LEGGEDED, QC plagued, poorly painted, cheeply made, cheep looking, atrocious POS-and then have the nerve to charge what they do.  When a company puts 1/100 of the energy into the toy that they put into the box,  there should be red flags.

And did I read that these toys are cheap?  Anyone see the tag on the Hikaru?  Sheesh. 

I hope TOYNAMI goes under soon, and HG hired Yamato to make some real toys.  Otherwise, their new project is doomed before it even gets off the ground.  They need the 3rd party products to keep this series afloat.  And TOYNAMI is NOT the company to do it. 

Not to mention that the BETA FIGHTER is taking them what?  2 years to release?  I bet you money it will be a wonderful toy.  As long as you never take it out of its box. 

Way to go HG.  Keep it up.

371621[/snapback]

The 1/100 valks are 19.99

371621[/snapback]

I'm checking out your "looking for" list. Have you seen it? :p

371638[/snapback]

Hey Danth!

Yea. I've seen it. Sadly, there aren't too many choices if you are a fan of Mospeada (Or TNG of Robotech). I would not need another Lancer Alpha had my Toynami arm not broken off. :angry: God, I would hate to see what would happen should I apply a little pressure! That is all I will say about the MPC alphas. Name one person who got a MPC veritech that can stand on it's own, or does not have some sort of QC issue. That toy does not exist. And its a shame! I was sooooooo excited about the MPC veritech. :( Thank god for Yamato's 1:48 line. Now, if only they would pick up Mospeada...

371621[/snapback]

I'm checking out your "looking for" list. Have you seen it? :p

371638[/snapback]

Hey Danth!

Yea. I've seen it. Sadly, there aren't too many choices if you are a fan of Mospeada (Or TNG of Robotech). I would not need another Lancer Alpha had my Toynami arm not broken off. :angry: God, I would hate to see what would happen should I apply a little pressure! That is all I will say about the MPC alphas. Name one person who got a MPC veritech that can stand on it's own, or does not have some sort of QC issue. That toy does not exist. And its a shame! I was sooooooo excited about the MPC veritech. :( Thank god for Yamato's 1:48 line. Now, if only they would pick up Mospeada...

371836[/snapback]

You guys should take this to the MPC thread

Name one person who got a MPC veritech that can stand on it's own, or does not have some sort of QC issue

I've owned about a dozen MPC VF-1s and the only flaw I remember seeing (besides finger prints that could be wiped off) was a paint smudge on the foot of a Max VF-1J. I'm not saying they're great toys but only one significant flaw out of 12 isn't too bad a ratio. Ooh, wait, I just remember I owned a Ben Dixon one where it looked like the "eye" of that battloid was twisted a bit to the side. Still, I'd say that's right on par with my Yamato 1/60 experience.

The Toynami Alphas... well, let's just say they're a bit more fragile. I still love 'em but I've definitely learned to treat them like completed models rather than toys. I've probably owned close to a dozen of those also and at least four had some pretty bad problems (that's ignoring the crooked neck and slightly arched fighter mode that almost all of them have).

Thank god for Yamato's 1:48 line. Now, if only they would pick up Mospeada

You're going to have to keep (or start) praying that Harmony Gold goes under for that to happen. As you probably know, they have the worldwide rights to MOSPEADA which has helped fuel speculation that the Shadow Chronicles OVA they're producing is going to be released in Japan as a sequel to MOSPEADA. Sorry, no Yamato MOSPEADA or Southern Cross goods for you... ever (in all likelihood).

Sorry, no Yamato MOSPEADA or Southern Cross goods for you... ever (in all likelihood).

371841[/snapback]

Or for anybody. Goddammit. :angry: Nobody seems to make good mecha anime anymore and all the cool toy designs are being kept locked up in the 80s. Thank God for Yamato for giving us the 1/48 and the Garland. Although they can't keep the boat afloat by themselves.

Except for Yamato, it seems nobody (not even Bandai) ever pays respect at Takatoku's grave any longer. :angry:

hope TOYNAMI goes under soon, and HG hired Yamato to make some real toys. Otherwise, their new project is doomed before it even gets off the ground. They need the 3rd party products to keep this series afloat. And TOYNAMI is NOT the company to do it.

Toynami's creation is as much a product of Japanese in-fighting over the rights as it is Harmony Gold's. Didn't I hear that HG actually did try to make an arrangement with Yamato only to have Bandai throw a fit? I think it was something like that.....

371645[/snapback]

Just to repeat what I said earlier, back in 2001, HG did try to negotiate with Yamato to release their Macross toys (at least classic Macross anyway), but Big West didn't want Yamato releasing their toys (which Big West, Studio Nue, and Shoji Kawamori had input on) under Harmony Gold's approval - at least while this whole legal mess is going on.

I believe Bandai was also approached about their 1/55th rereleases, but again, Big West had issues.

Hey lets remember that this topic would normal be discussed in the MPC thread but since its timely and is more about Macross and man doll Hikaru that its here.

If the discussion is starting to get old to the point where it looks like it should go the MPC thread it shall.

Actually to me, it looks worse now.  They'll sucker me in when they say there's gonna be enemy mecha in scale with this.  But as of now, the proportions are kinda weird.  Small legs and huge shoulders.  At least the 1/48s look good even with the skinny arms.  I can understand if people want this for the price point though.

371232[/snapback]

Roger from Collection DX and Toybox DX spoke with George Sohn at Toyfair. apparently part of their plan for this scale line is to make destroids and enemy mecha.

Read it here:

http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Featur...ir/2006/Toynami

Actually to me, it looks worse now.  They'll sucker me in when they say there's gonna be enemy mecha in scale with this.  But as of now, the proportions are kinda weird.  Small legs and huge shoulders.  At least the 1/48s look good even with the skinny arms.  I can understand if people want this for the price point though.

371232[/snapback]

Roger from Collection DX and Toybox DX spoke with George Sohn at Toyfair. apparently part of their plan for this scale line is to make destroids and enemy mecha.

Read it here:

372151[/snapback]

You linked to the gallery, I kinda beat ya to it buddy, I linked the report in an above post of mine.

I definitely take it as confirmation that we are getting armor and enemy mecha! I keep having visions of a 1/100 qrau and battle pods duking it out on stands with a 1/100 VF-1S strike or GPS-1 armored valk. The best thing about this 1/100 scale line is the fact that not only is it cheap, but its got potential to encompass many neglected mecha and enemy mecha alike not touched upon on the bigger, more expensive, higher end scales.

And lets hope George Sohn did not forget destroids either.

371232[/snapback]

Read it here:

372151[/snapback]

Dioramas here we come.

371232[/snapback]

Read it here:

372151[/snapback]

UGH! Why must they read my thoughts! Evil Toynami!

*wraps foil around noggin*

How is the gunpod attached to the arm of Max's battroid?  Did they copy the peg used in the Yamato's?

371620[/snapback]

Not quite. The Yamato's use grip shaped impressions in the forearms with a small peg in the middle. These use a slot in just the right forearm with a slat on the gun for holding the GU-11. Copy Yamato? Not even close.

Now, did they copy Bandai's 1/72 HCM? Yes, exactly :)

Edited by Totoro242

• 3 weeks later...