So Who Actually Likes Macross?

yellowlightman

SDF - 9/10

DYRL - 10/10

FB2012 -10/10

Macross II - 4/10 (and it only gets that 4 because of Jiggly Geena)

Macross Plus OVA - 7/10

Macross Plus ME - 9/10

Macross 7 - 10/10

M7 Dynamite - 9/10

Macross Zero 10/10

Only really like SDF Macross and DYRL. Gave everything else a chance, but they just didn't have whatever it was that made SDF special to me  :p

369557[/snapback]

Have you seen Orguss or Megazone 23 Part 1? The something special might be Ishiguro Noboru's direction. I saw Orguss and mz23 and was like, "Wow! This has that something special Macross did that its sequels don't!"

370246[/snapback]

I haven´t seen mz23 but I know what you mean Ginrai! I´ve just watched Orguss recently and it had the same epic yet personal touch to it or whatever it is

that makes SDF Macross so special.

Admittedly Orguss has about the same guys teaming up - Mikimoto chara design, Haneda for the musical score and Miyatake for mecha design -so it cannot be that bad- but what makes both series worth watching is the chemistry between those elements and a good story. Storytelling is even better in Orguss IMO ´cause everything is more straightforward and there are less recapturing episodes etc.

Only really like SDF Macross and DYRL. Gave everything else a chance, but they just didn't have whatever it was that made SDF special to me  :p

369557[/snapback]

Have you seen Orguss or Megazone 23 Part 1? The something special might be Ishiguro Noboru's direction. I saw Orguss and mz23 and was like, "Wow! This has that something special Macross did that its sequels don't!"

370246[/snapback]

I haven´t seen mz23 but I know what you mean Ginrai! I´ve just watched Orguss recently and it had the same epic yet personal touch to it or whatever it is

Admittedly Orguss has about the same guys teaming up - Mikimoto chara design, Haneda for the musical score and Miyatake for mecha design -so it cannot be that bad- but what makes both series worth watching is the chemistry between those elements and a good story. Storytelling is even better in Orguss IMO ´cause everything is more straightforward and there are less recapturing episodes etc.

370455[/snapback]

Ahah, sounds like I'd better to check out Megazone23 and Orguss! :)

Ahah, sounds like I'd better to check out Megazone23 and Orguss! :)

370458[/snapback]

Just stay away from Orguss 02, it's as bad as, if not worse than Macross II.

370507[/snapback]

Which still rates it higher than Macross 7. :D

370455[/snapback]

I definitely think that Orguss has tighter plotting than Macross, and the character relationships are just as rich or richer than SDF Macross. But note the lack of Kawamori... I think Ishiguro Noboru's contributions to what made the original Macross so great are largely ignored. But you should check out mz23 Part 1. Mikimoto only designed one character, Eve, but Hirano's style is not dissimilar, and I think I may actually prefer Shinji Aramaki and Hideki Kakinuma to Miyatake (and Kawamori). But it has that same combination, that epic/personal thing. Dunno about the score off hand, but it works for me. mz23 also has a pretty tight plot (though there are some things that seem like red herrings since they were elements it lost when it became an OAV instead of a TV series), but obviously it has to be more focused because of the short length. But I think that's something that the later Macross shows just don't have.

Macross II doesn't really have much personal going on, Macross Plus is a bit too concerned with being serious and mature and doesn't quite have the -fun- of SDF Macross, DYRL, Orguss, or mz23 Part 1, and it never feels epic to me. Macross 7 doesn't feel that epic to me, and while I enjoy the character relationships, I just don't think it goes anywhere that interesting. I mean, Mylene NEVER chooses between Basara and Gamlin, which frustrates me, plus I'm just not that into the relationships. I FEEL the connection between Hikaru and Minmay and Misa, and I FEEL the connection between Kei, Mimsy, and Sray, and I FEEL the connection between Shogo and Yui. I don't feel that way about the connection between Mylene, Gamlin, and Basara. I love Mylene, but I'm not in love with the other characters, and their relationships don't do much for me. And Macross Zero... wow, just no emotion at all. I don't care about Shin or Sara at all. I like Mao, but Shin never seems the slightest bit interested in her, so again, no connection, and while I love Roy, I again see no real connection with Aries/Alice/whatever. I feel like she's one of those girls Roy fooled around with before he gave himself to Claudia. One of the ones that didn't matter. I just am not feeling the connection.

SDF Macross, Orguss, and mz23 all have that connection for me. Does anyone else know of any other anime that has this? Part of it has -got- to be Ishiguro Noboru. I'm almost certain this feeling is an Ishiguro Noboru thing, because while I love the other Megazone 23 OAVs, only part 1 has that connection. I mean, it can't JUST be an Artland thing. Artland worked on part 2 as well and that feeling just isn't there. But maybe that's down to Ichiro Itano directing it?

Just stay away from Orguss 02, it's as bad as, if not worse than Macross II.

370507[/snapback]

I like Orguss 02, but not really as a sequel to Orguss. It has really none of what I loved about Orguss, but I am pretty interested in the scenario of, "What if a mideval feudal society dug up giant robots?" I like that idea a lot, but it should have been explored in something that wasn't supposed to be a sequel to Orguss.

What they need to do: get what was good with macross plus and Zero (dogfights) SDF:macross, (relationships) and combine it with the epic feel of DYRL. (ie a whole world's army at war against another world's armies with all the gritty violence seen in DYRL)

I think one of the reasons I didn't like Macross 7 is due to the small scale fighting. (only between a small group of aliens and a single ship) Sure it is pretty much peaceful in the macross universe at that time, but next time (if there is one) I want huge battles (like in DYRL) and long list of different characters (SDF) with more modern mecha. (perhaps have a more advanced civilisation than ourselves that had developed up from survivors of the thought-extinct PC but who are something different altogether and who are hostile)

Without a new hostile race I don't think there is much reason for another epic story. The one thing that macross II achieved was it at least created that threat of being totally defeated by a much better armed race who knew what they were doing. UN spacy didn't just go uncontested forever so it was interesting to see "how did they get out off this one?" (using the assumption that music was now useless established at the beginning of the ova) and watch it to the end. Destroids got some action as a last line of defense from the ground, (I hate how they are now useless :D) and ace pilots can't win a whole war so there was a definate "this is the end of the world" feel to it with humans throwing everything they got rather than sitting back relaxed.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Sure it is pretty much peaceful in the macross universe at that time

Actually, I dunno. The begining of Macross Plus depicts VF-11's in combat with Zentradi forces from one of the countless fleets still roaming the galaxy.

What they need to do: get what was good with macross plus and Zero (dogfights) SDF:macross, (relationships) and combine it with the epic feel of DYRL. (ie a whole world's army at war against another world's armies with all the gritty violence seen in DYRL)

I think one of the reasons I didn't like Macross 7 is due to the small scale fighting. (only between a small group of aliens and a single ship) Sure it is pretty much peaceful in the macross universe at that time, but next time (if there is one) I want huge battles (like in DYRL) and long list of different characters (SDF) with more modern mecha. (perhaps have a more advanced civilisation than ourselves that had developed up from survivors of the thought-extinct PC but who are something different altogether and who are hostile)

Without a new hostile race I don't think there is much reason for another epic story. The one thing that macross II achieved was it at least created that threat of being totally defeated by a much better armed race who knew what they were doing. UN spacy didn't just go uncontested forever so it was interesting to see "how did they get out off this one?" (using the assumption that music was now useless established at the beginning of the ova) and watch it to the end. Destroids got some action as a last line of defense from the ground, (I hate how they are now useless :D) and ace pilots can't win a whole war so there was a definate "this is the end of the world" feel to it with humans throwing everything they got rather than sitting back relaxed.

370640[/snapback]

Well, there is always the Supervision Army. From what I got from the original series, they are still big, bad, and on the prowl. I would also imagine that they have access to far more firepower than the Varauta had in Macross 7.

The story told in Macross II was interesting for the reasons you cited above. In a way, it's a shame that it isn't a part of the official continuity in some way.

Love them all. Some more than others:

1)DYRL: 10/10...Love it with a PASSION!

2)Macross: 10/10....See #1

3)TV Series: 8/10....love it but it's gotten just slightly old to me now

4)Flashback 2012: 10/10 LOve it with a passion!

5)Macross 7: 8/10 screw the haters! This is highly underrated and I think I like it slightly better than the original TV series now.

6)Macross Zero: Dunno, haven't seen it yet :(

7)Macross II: 6/10. It's OK, but gets good marks for the ridiculously beautiful songs sang by Ms. Hiroko Kasahara.

8)Macross 20th Anniversary Special dvd: 10/10....this goes without saying :)

Without a new hostile race I don\'t think there is much reason for another epic story. The one thing that macross II achieved was it at least created that threat of being totally defeated by a much better armed race who knew what they were doing. UN spacy didn\'t just go uncontested forever so it was interesting to see \"how did they get out off this one?\" (using the assumption that music was now useless established at the beginning of the ova) and watch it to the end. Destroids got some action as a last line of defense from the ground, (I hate how they are now useless :D) and ace pilots can\'t win a whole war so there was a definate \"this is the end of the world\" feel to it with humans throwing everything they got rather than sitting back relaxed.

370640[/snapback]

Well, there is always the Supervision Army. From what I got from the original series, they are still big, bad, and on the prowl. I would also imagine that they have access to far more firepower than the Varauta had in Macross 7.

The story told in Macross II was interesting for the reasons you cited above. In a way, it\'s a shame that it isn\'t a part of the official continuity in some way.

370803[/snapback]

Upon reading this, the Marduk in Macross II appear to be the Supervision Army but renamed don\'t they? Micronized humanoids that control the Zentradi for proxy warfare?

I persoanlly loved Macross II. It was more of the same as DRYL, but upgraded and a shame it was tossed into an alternate universe. It would be awesome to see a Macross VFX 3 sequal (Movie promo, then TV series) featuring all the mechs under various uses.

Have the UN Spacy blackops background with the use what you got premise in a series of small tactical operations which leads to a showdown with the Supervision Army contained in big epic war story to wrap it all up.

Before I get too off topic (my choices in order)

1) DRYL + Flashback non music video scenes (I consider these two to be together) PERFECT STORY TELLING, PERFECT PRESENTATION. The benchmark in Anime.

2) SDF - Macross - Good story telling, good action, but feels dated compared to DYRL. A must see to setup DYRL/Flasback properly.

3) Macross II - More of DRYL, but with a lower budget feel. Good presentation overall.

4) Macross Plus (OVA - did not see the movie yet for the extended ending) - Great story telling, great action. Very focused sub story of the Macross universe. I need more!

Make a Macross VFX movie already!!!

5) Macross Zero - Great action, great animation, great presentation, great telling... I actually didn\'t mind the tree hugging aspect as it brings about a different view on the conflicts. I LOVED the ANTI-UN vs UN antaganism. 3 sides, and a good setup for the Macross story as a whole.

We need more side stories during Space War I with VF-0S, SV-51s starting the war and the eventual introduction of VF-1s. What the hell happend to the Anti UN anyways? None snuck on board the SDF-1?

6) Macross 7 (have not finished watching this yet. First 15-20 or so episodes are slow, but it really picks up afterwards. The overly reused footage is crap. How many times did they reuse the VF-11 and Varutas blowing up in space already? Anybody ever did a count to confirm?

Overall, I love the series as whole... It fills in universe even more and makes rewatching each series more enjoyable.

Edited by Neova

370803[/snapback]

Maybe its just me, but Macross 7 really destroyed any interest in seeing the Supervision Army for me.

370803[/snapback]

Maybe its just me, but Macross 7 really destroyed any interest in seeing the Supervision Army for me.

371131[/snapback]

Me too.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone

oh wow!  You guys don't like Macross 7 so it's time to start ruining this thread!  WOW, I never saw that coming! :rolleyes:

371204[/snapback]

Exactly. :rolleyes:

371208[/snapback]

I love how the M7 fan runs behind a respected member and agrees as opposed to confronting on his own. How Macross7 of you.

You know what guys? This thread is about Macross, and Macross7 (unfortunately) is part of that, so my hatred isn't off topic.

Hatred of M7 is OK, but we all know where this is going. It starts off with one suggestedly gay picture then it's a whole slew of gay comments about A1's balls and muscles from the A1/DT Happy Happy Tag Team and their little followers.

Its not about it being "gay", its about the generic, feminine, Sailor Moon bad guy rejects used in macross 7. That skater isn't all that far off from the Protodeviln, outside of his constume being too tame.

I watched all 50 episodes, alot of you seem to be forgetting that. I put my time in.

So did I.

I guess we're all to stupid to realize that "generic, feminine, Sailor Moon bad guy" = gay.

How can we forget that you watched and hate M7? It's not like you haven't had your chance to remind us.

And all this business about running behind my back to express opinions is stupid. When you guys start this thread hijacking that involves other members jumping on the bandwagon about how gay M7 is (or whatever the cause is), it's suppose to be funny and "on topic". But when one member agrees with me they're being pussies. At least I don't IM people to back me on topics they feel they need help in. It's totally hypocritical and laughable if anything.

Edited by >EXO<

Look at it this way:

Macross antagonist before Macross 7:

post-1088-1140207162.jpg

Macross antagonist after Macross 7:

post-1088-1140208163.jpg

371191[/snapback]

So...

Pre-7 = comic relief and tentacle rape rejects.

Post-7 = a bad guy you can really hate.

371233[/snapback]

That makes no sense.

When you guys start this thread hijacking

371231[/snapback]

Excuse me? This thread is a discussion about liking Macross. My post is totally on topic. Your posts trying to make this some sort of "us against them" debate is what is taking it off topic. If you don't make another one of your ranting posts, you'll notice how quickly this thread goes back on topic.

When you guys start this thread hijacking

371231[/snapback]

Excuse me? This thread is a discussion about liking Macross. My post is totally on topic. Your posts trying to make this some sort of "us against them" debate is what is taking it off topic. If you don't make another one of your ranting posts, you'll notice how quickly this thread goes back on topic.

371245[/snapback]

figure skaters are part of Macross? Since when? You're obviously stretching things there. Maybe if you wouldn't make fun of M7 and critique it justifiably it would have never went off topic!

Edited by >EXO<

I think what would be best is for both sides to slowly back away from this. Let's not blow out another thread with bickering. Please stay on target, on topic and off of each other's backs. Please?

371248[/snapback]

Agreed.

I like the concept in Macross 2 of the main character not being a soldier... That was kinda cool.

371251[/snapback]

I agree here.

That's one of the things I enjoy about Macross' sequels. We're not being hit with rehashes of Hikaru over and over, so each new story lets you see the Macross universe from a diffrent perspective.

Even the ones I didn't like added to the depth of the world.

I like the concept in Macross 2 of the main character not being a soldier... That was kinda cool.

371251[/snapback]

I agree here.

That's one of the things I enjoy about Macross' sequels. We're not being hit with rehashes of Hikaru over and over, so each new story lets you see the Macross universe from a diffrent perspective.

Even the ones I didn't like added to the depth of the world.

371279[/snapback]

I also like how Hibiki starts out being an anti-war biased sissy, but sees how (at times) killing your enemies is an important tallent to have.