Remembering your first valk

BoBe-Patt

I don't know if anybody has started this topic yet but I just want to see what your first valks were. Well, my first valk was actually jetfire back in the day. I remember watching robotech and playing with my jetfire at the same time and was wondering why they looked so much a like! :p And the funny thing was I had the matsushiro version of jetfire so I was wondering why there was the robotech symbol on the wing of a transformer? :D Anyway, that was my first original valk. Well, my first reissue or new released valks, was the yf-21 and vf-11b. I bought those two together at anime expo. As for the vf-1 line, it would be the 1/60 hikaru vf-1a by yamato. I was stoked when this thing first came out! Man I must have paid like 80 bucks for one, but I was happy! My next valk was the bandai reissue vf-1s roy. I skipped the vf-1j cause I didn't like it much, but I eventually bought one and the rest is history! Now I'm deciding what valk to buy next, either a 1/48 vf-1s hikaru (when it comes out of course), or the elint/super O. Man it's hard to decide now that I've bought so much and have no more money! :p:D:lol:

So what was your first valk? :rolleyes:

First I had Jetfire... many, many years were passed with just my imagination substituting Jetfire for Skull-1.

Then came the Joon's valks... I had the Millia and Hikaru 1J's. And that godawful Red, White, and Blue valk.

Then came bootleg Bandai Mac 7 valks.

Then came Yamato's YF-22 & VF-11.

Then came the incredible Bandai reissues and Yamato 1/60 & 1/48's.

It's a good progression... each one better than the last. Except for Jetfire, who still has a place near and dear to a brother's heart.

A Macres bootleg valk a few years ago. I know I didn't have a Jetfire, although I'm not sure if my brother did or not, I think he might have. After that I got a Takatoku Misa, then a Bandai CF. I only got my first Yamato in June and I only have 2 (not that much of a fan of the 1/60s, although I'm probably going to get the Hikaru VF-1S.) And now I've got a decent sized valk collection (by normal standards, not MW.)

First VF: Takatuko VF-1S (Grey color Focker)

My Mom bought me my first VF 20 years ago from a store in Berkeley California called Iron Horse. It was a store that primarily sold Japanese toys like Godzilla. I have had that same VF on my bedside table for all of those 20 years. No yellowing at all, it looks EXACTLY like it did the day I got it.

My very first valk was a half completed Gerwalk model that I found in a pile of stuff some friends of the family gave us. It wasn't painted and the backpack hadn't been put on yet. It was cool then cuz its arms and legs moved and the wings did as well. Trashed it. #2 was 1/60 VF-1S Yamato. I swear I could break stuff with that thing.

My first Valkyrie was a CF VF-1J SD Valkyrie then Jet Fire way back when Robotech was out (Hasbro couldn't design their own Jet Fire so they steal one from the Macross toy line) it's tail wing/backpack and chest plate broke off when I was transforming it took it a apart then used the parts to fix my nephew's jetfire that he got from the son of my brother in law I took the liberty taking apart both an recontructing them. The backpack on ther other, was a problem since it too broke off. However he played for a while until it broke and the shoulder hinge. I warned him about taking outside to show off with hhis friends that it wasn't ready yet. My CF VF-1J SD Valkyrie disappeared after it's right leg broke off. I believe my mother had something to do with it's dissapearance even though she said she dosen't know what happend to it. :lol::angry:

My first Valkyrie was a CF VF-1J SD Valkyrie then Jet Fire way back when Robotech was out (Hasbro couldn't design their own Jet Fire so they steal one from the Macross toy line) it's tail wing/backpack and chest plate broke off when I was transforming it took it a apart then used the parts to fix my nephew's jetfire that he got from the son of my brother in law I took the liberty taking apart both an recontructing them. The backpack on ther other, was a problem since it too broke off. However he played for a while until it broke and the shoulder hinge. I warned him about taking outside to show off with hhis friends that it wasn't ready yet. My CF VF-1J SD Valkyrie disappeared after it's right leg broke off. I believe my mother had something to do with it's dissapearance even though she said she dosen't know what happend to it. :lol::angry:

Jetfire, although he stayed Jefire for only a couple of weeks, I painted the black and yellow chest stripe, the leg stripes, used UN spacy decals from 1/100 model kits, put un spacy kites on the wing and on the tail fins where the skulls should have been, painted the nose white, all with sloppy and goopy testors hand paints. And, I painted the armor black (must have been color blind). my very first custom, must have been 13 or so........

The first valk I got to play with was a Jetfire. I also played with two of the original Gakken Alphas... None of these were mine though... A kid on my block had them, and use to let me "borrow" them for a few weeks at a time.

So my first Valk that I ever owned? Was the Rick Hunter MPC. :lol:

Then I found Yamato, and the Hikaru 1A was the first one there. After that, it's all a blur. :D:p

My first valkyrie was the 1st issue Bandai VF-1A Hikaru. I saw someone playing with one on our plane ride to the U.S. My family and I were migrating from the Philipines. We had stopped over in Japan and I saw the valkyrie was being sold at the airport giftshop. I got my mom to buy me one and I never even knew what I had until 4-5 years later. Man I played the hell out of that toy. All my friends were jealous because I had an actual "Robotech" toy while everyone else had Jetfires.

I believe my very first valk was a Takatoku 1/100 VF-1J Hikaru, if I recall correctly. I remember walking around with my dad in a drive-in theater swap meet about 20 years ago. A seller had a load of anime toys from series I had never seen. He had the larger 1/55 scale versions but my dad was not paying the higher price, so I had to settle for the 1/100. Anyway, what I remember the most is sticking out the valk out of the car window in fighter mode on the way home. The toy lasted a couple years and was probably thrown out by mom.

My first Valkyrie was the 1990 VF-1S re-issue that I bought for $70 shipped in about 1995 or so. I loved that thing. I put on all the armor and transformed it a couple of times then left it for display. My next valk was the red, white, and blue Joons that I bought for $50 shipped. I figured I did alright when I saw it go for $100 on ebay. After that I bought pretty much everything that came out. It's only recently that I've slowed down.

My first Macross model was a Revell "ROBOTECH" VF-1J 1/72, and the first ever Valkyrie toy for me...Macross Plus VF-11B from Yamato. I still think it's one of the best looking variable fighter designs of any of the series and Yamato did a fairly nice job with it in 1/72 (actualy closer to 1/68) with the exception of the too-small tail fins and elbow bulges and sliders (too conspicous but necessary in so small a toy I suppose). Man I wish they'd release an ultimate version of this gorgeous vehicle in 1/48 scale...one can dream. :rolleyes:

Edited by mechaninac

i got a joon's? VF-1J back when i was 9 or 10 years old. i don't know if it was a joons for sure, but my dad was on business in korea, so i assume was. :unsure:

i remember i let a kid in my class borrow it and he broke the antenna's off the head. :(

EDDIE MORGAN FROM P.S. 215 IN BROOKLYN....

IF YOU'RE OUT THERE, I STILL HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN WHAT YOU DID, YOU ROTTEN BUM!!! :angry:

Edited by haterist

My first Valk. Original Bandai Joke machine. VF1S bought for me in Dinkytown MN by my grandmother. I was the only kid that had one of these. Price she paid...$7.99. I had many friends try trading me Jetfire for it but I never would...I like Jokes too much and hated the red on Jetfire...Later I gave this to my cousin who still has it. Its in mint condition with well over 2000 hours of play behind it. He still even has all the parts and box.

The little thing is indestructable.

Transformers Jetfire. Sold it at a yard sale (box, armor, everything...) For about $10 many moons ago. I still wake up screaming sometimes.....

Finally someone who shares my pain. I did the same thing except I think I let mine go for less than $10. :angry: I also had the box and all the parts in near perfect condition. The only thing that keeps me from screaming at night is the hope that some poor kid got a hell of a present and never forgot it.

First VF: Takatuko VF-1S (Grey color Focker)

I have had that same VF on my bedside table for all of those 20 years.

What do you do when you bring the chicks home?. :D

Do you hide it?,

or tell them "He's gonna watch, and you're gonna like it!" ;)

Well, it is on table next to the bed I have at my parents house... I don't do much porking there. Mostly the porking takes place at my appartment where there are no VFs (I would keep one around if my roomates weren't such drunkin maniacs).

My first was a Jetfire...

I was watching the first episode of RT way back in 86 when it premiered, and when I saw the profile of the plane, I felt a chill run over me. I dashed into my bedroom, came back with ol' JF a couple of seconds later, and confirmed my suspicion.

Jetfire ceased to be on that day.....

EDIT - My first REAL valk was a Takatoku Max type bought at Mr. Big's Toy Land in Waltham Mass. when I was stationed in Mass. in about 1989 or 1990.

I remember to this day that he had a STACK of Taka valks that stretched from floor to ceiling (I am really not kidding here).

Wanna guess how much I paid for it?

Edited by Mechamaniac

I was visiting my brother in Berkeley, CA, in 1985 when I first saw the chunky monkey VF-1's and Alphas at Comics & Comix on Telegraph Avenue. I'd been a fan of Robotech since the first season (I checked in right around episode 24) and I wanted a 1/55 VF, but the price was too steep (probably $30!). I later found a 1/100 Skull Leader knockoff in SF Chinatown--pretty sure it's the one pictured here and here. The text on the back included a bizarre summary of the Macross story that seemed to be correct for the first few sentences before veering off in a completely unrecognizable direction.

I was happy with my 1/100 and might never have gotten into more Valk collecting, were it not for the fact that I asked a college friend to hold some of my stuff for me while we were moving things into storage. He foolishly and inexplicably left a box of items outside his dorm room door, and much of it including the Valk was stolen/scavenged. The loss rankled and over the years I tried to find a replacement, settling for a few model kits from yard sales (still unbuilt), until I started seeing reissues, Yamatos, MPC's, and Banprestos in various shops. Did some research and started with a Banpresto 1S Strike, then a 1/48 Hikaru 1A, followed by some cheap bootlegs for kicks, some Bandais/Matsushiros for playing/collecting, and most recently, a 1/60 Hikaru VF-1J which, thanks to Chowser, even has TV-accurate missiles.

Whoops, gotta run!

Edited by ewilen

Mine was a VF-11B, hips didnt fail till two weeks after I got it. That initial bad experience with Yamato quality (or lack of) did little to stop my lust for valks :D