The Xbox 360 Thread!

1. I'm a Trekkie.  But we are the most cursed, gamewise, of all creation.  ::edit::  OMG!  It's got modified Excelsiors and late-version Ambassadors!  ::end fanboyism::  I also see they modified the Nebula class so that they actually have decent impulse engines.  (Why they weren't designed the same as a Galaxy there I'll never know, there's plenty of room for all 3--and they could easily have gotten by with just the main one) 

2.  I would buy a 360 for KOTOR 3 alone.

3.  Super Mario World.  Greatest system-seller ever.  THAT sold the SNES.  Pack-ins=better sales.  I remember to this day the first time I saw Mario World--JC Penney catalog department.  I *needed* that game. And it delivered.  I didn't need an *SNES*, I needed that GAME. 

4.  If the Revolution had Super Mario 1, 2, 3, and 4 as a pack-in, it'd sell zillions.  I'd buy one.  If not, Zelda Twilight Princess.  (Based on current rumors)

370294[/snapback]

Sometimes, it's uncanny how much you and I think alike, David. I mean,

1.) Agree, but I'm still approaching Legacy with something akin to cautious optimism. I've read a few articles and interviews with the developers, and they're hardcore Trekkies something fierce. They'll have their source material down, it's just a question of whether or not they can pull off the gameplay. And it's not just Excelsiors and Ambassadors... even though I wasn't big on Enterprise, the idea of starting with the NX-01 and ending with a Sovereign has me a little giddy. Hopefully, they'll include the Prometheus, too.

2.) I don't know that I'd go that far, since Obsidian left KOTOR II kind of a mixed bag, but since I have a 360, it's kind of moot, and I'd buy KOTOR 3 anyway. And here's hoping for another Jade Empire.

3.) It didn't hurt that, when I finally got a SNES, not only did it come with Super Mario World as a pack-in, but you could send away to get a free copy of Super Mario All-Stars... that way, I could play SMB3, which I enjoy almost as much as World. Later pack-ins, I understand, had All-Stars and World on one cart...

4.) ...which would be a really nice "freebie" on the virtual console, to get you started. So, agree again.

Oh, and JB0, I'm going to have to agree with you too...

I never liked Mario 64, for the record. Me and 3D platformers don't get along.

I enjoy a good 3D platformer, like Ape Escape. I actually liked Sonic Adventure better than the old Genesis Sonics. But I couldn't get into Super Mario 64. It was a nice 3D platformer for the time, I suppose, but it didn't feel like Mario. Collecting starts to unlock new levels? Bullshit! And where's my fire flowers? Beanstalks? Hidden warps? Other franchises that I prefer to stay in 2D include Megaman, Castlevania, and dare I say it, Zelda.

Zelda---So long as it's overhead 2D, and not side-scrolling 2D. :)

PS---I just picked up MMZ 3. Used, but so utterly mint it could have been sold as MISB. Only GB game I've ever found that was kept in as good condition as I keep mine.

KOTOR 2: Ever read the scripts for all the stuff that was cut out at the end? Makes the game a whole lot better. And ticks you off at how much you missed out on. Starting with a new engine (not trying to learn Bioware's) and hopefully not releasing it months early will make for an experience as good as the original.

PS--anyone perchance reading the new KOTOR comic? My vote's for everyone picking a yellow saber in KOTOR 3.

Edited by David Hingtgen

PS--anyone perchance reading the new KOTOR comic?  My vote's for everyone picking a yellow saber in KOTOR 3.

370436[/snapback]

Haven't read the comic, but if they bring back the KOTOR1 character, I'd once again pick yellow sabers for him, as I had initially decided he was an ancestor and namesake of a fan fic golden 'bladed'-lightsaber Jedi I had created a decade ago (yes, big time SW geek back then :D ).

KOTOR 3 would've made me buy a 360 early if it had been a launch title, despite the annoyances with KOTOR 2 being so hacked up for timing purposes.

Not really a big Trekkie, but looking forward to Star Trek Legacy too. While the military aspect goes against how Roddenberry wanted to emphasize about the franchise, the ships duking it out has probably been my favorite thing about ST...even back in the days of sub-like, few external shots duels between the Enterprise and the cloaked Romulan Bird of Prey in the original series.

Still think Oblivion will be a PC game for me...can't beat all the mods available for the PC version of Morrowind. Will have to wait and see how much mod toolkit availability there will be with the final version of Oblivion...if there's next to none, I might pick the 360 version...lower resolution, but bigger display.

Zelda---So long as it's overhead 2D, and not side-scrolling 2D.

Well, I assumed that was a given. ;)

PS---I just picked up MMZ 3. Used, but so utterly mint it could have been sold as MISB. Only GB game I've ever found that was kept in as good condition as I keep mine.

You have the first two? If you do, you have to get the 4th one as well. It doesn't really tie up ALL the loose ends, per se, but it does seem to be a strong end for the series. And I really do think it'll be the last MMZ, since Inticreates is doing Rockman ZX on the DS.

KOTOR 2: Ever read the scripts for all the stuff that was cut out at the end? Makes the game a whole lot better. And ticks you off at how much you missed out on. Starting with a new engine (not trying to learn Bioware's) and hopefully not releasing it months early will make for an experience as good as the original.

But Obsidian is really all about using Bioware's old engines. Remember, Obsidian is a collection of previous Black Isle employees. They're the people who made Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II with Bioware's Infinity Engine (Baldur's Gate). They're the people who made KOTOR II with the original KOTOR's engine. They're the people who are currently making Neverwinter Nights 2 with a modified Aurora engine from the original NWN. Hell, even Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II was made from someone else's premade engine.

I think it's really the months early part that hurt KOTOR II. It wasn't just the scenes and scripts that were edited out. It was the bugs, glitches, and horrid load times.

Still, like I said, it's kinda moot. I already have an Xbox 360. If Obsidian releases KOTOR III for it, I'm there.

I couldn't get into Super Mario 64.  It was a nice 3D platformer for the time, I suppose, but it didn't feel like Mario.  Collecting starts to unlock new levels?  Bullshit!  And where's my fire flowers?  Beanstalks?  Hidden warps?  Other franchises that I prefer to stay in 2D include Megaman, Castlevania, and dare I say it, Zelda.

I know, but the game was a showcase for the 3D capabilities and graphics power of the '64 and it worked; at that moment I knew we had a great system...

I enjoy a good 3D platformer, like Ape Escape.  I actually liked Sonic Adventure better than the old Genesis Sonics.  But I couldn't get into Super Mario 64.  It was a nice 3D platformer for the time, I suppose, but it didn't feel like Mario.  Collecting starts to unlock new levels?  Bullshit!  And where's my fire flowers?  Beanstalks?  Hidden warps?  Other franchises that I prefer to stay in 2D include Megaman, Castlevania, and dare I say it, Zelda.

370428[/snapback]

Good thing all of those games still get 2D games released, eh?

As for bringing this back on topic, anyone seen the new Bumberman game for the 360?

http://img108.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=l..._X360_F898a.jpg

I enjoy a good 3D platformer, like Ape Escape.  I actually liked Sonic Adventure better than the old Genesis Sonics.  But I couldn't get into Super Mario 64.  It was a nice 3D platformer for the time, I suppose, but it didn't feel like Mario.  Collecting starts to unlock new levels?  Bullshit!  And where's my fire flowers?  Beanstalks?  Hidden warps?  Other franchises that I prefer to stay in 2D include Megaman, Castlevania, and dare I say it, Zelda.

370428[/snapback]

Good thing all of those games still get 2D games released, eh?

As for bringing this back on topic, anyone seen the new Bumberman game for the 360?

http://img108.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=l..._X360_F898a.jpg

370727[/snapback]

Just a few minutes ago, actually.

Top article at Insert Credit right now.

Bomberman + online multiplayer = win.

"First-person bommer" = WTF?

I've had lots of ppl come to work buying 360 accessories recently, but I've had more customers asking me while I'm doing stuff on the show room floor "Do you have any 360's?".......which I gotta tell 'em "No I'm sorry we only get a small hand full of them every month and they go very quickly."

After playing many games over the release of the 360, I have to say PD0 and Ridge Racer do nothing for me now........PD0 is just plain blah in my opinion, but Ridge Racer........its okay, but damn does it get boring after a while. You don't even feel like your going 150+ mph.......you feel like your going 30......

I think it's in another month but I plan on getting a few more games for my 360, on my list for sure is Ghost Recon, maybe Battlefield 2, MAYBE Dynasty Warriors 5.....afterall they all play just about the same.

Lots of games coming out in the late summer and such, but the one I'm really looking forward too and hope it isn't pushed back any further is Gears of War....god I just hope they stop pushing it back.

This is off topic from what some of you've been talking about recently, but I was just thinking about Halo 3 and how it may not be out until next year. I know a lot of people would like to see it come out sooner (including me :D ), but in light of the PS3 not seeing the light of day at least until later this year, it's expensive price tag (which looks to be at least $500 - I know it isn't going to be $900, but Sony better get some damage control going because this number is quickly sinking into people's psyches), and that the best quality games are way off on the horizon, I can definitely see why Microsoft is pretty content in keeping Halo 3 under wraps. Hey it's possible that Halo 3 could be ready to counter the PS3 after all! :p

Tomorrow marks the 3 month anniversary of my 360 and it's still going strong. :) Hope to finish up Call of Duty 2 soon and get to work on one of my other three 360 games (PDZ, RR6, or DOA4). Looking forward to Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (why does that sound like a GBA game title? :p ) and possibly Blazing Angels.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to wait another week after Ghost Recon comes out......bills again towards the end the start of the month....

I've also added Chrome Hounds to my want list........mmmmmm does that game look nice.

... I can definitely see why Microsoft is pretty content in keeping Halo 3 under wraps.  Hey it's possible that Halo 3 could be ready to counter the PS3 after all! :p

372434[/snapback]

If MS releases Halo 3 it's be to prep the audiences for the Halo movie and not to counter the PS3.

What I hope doesn't happen is that the 360 gets all of this cross-platform games that barely get changed. Hell I saw the new Superman game and about puked! :blink: It was bad and it's coming to the 360 & the PS2.

I sooooooo can not wait till next year to actually start seeing next gen games!!! <_<

Hey everyone!

I don't know if this has been asked before but

i would like to know if its ok/safe to vacuum the air vents of the console

to prevent dust from collecting on it ???

Thanks

Mark

I vacuum the vents on my consoles every year or so.  Use the mini-blinds/brush adapter.  :)

375557[/snapback]

*looks at GameCube*

That's not a bad idea... my computers get it often enough, but I've got 3 game machines with active cooling that are pr'ly full of dust monsters.

Course, I need one of those damn security bits to get the 'Cube's case open and do it right. But the DC and PS2 won't fight me too much.

If MS releases Halo 3 it's be to prep the audiences for the Halo movie and not to counter the PS3.

375540[/snapback]

It was my way of saying the PS3 might be delayed far enough into the future that Halo 3 might end up coming out at the same time the PS3 is launched. :) Though Halo 3 is probably a ways off, I wouldn't surprised that they show something at the upcoming E3.

I think in the 360 manual its recommended that you keep the vents clear from dust using a damp cloth or something that wont ruin the casing or the components inside.......its also on "360 for dummies" which is an interesting book to read.

Finally saw a premium at Target without having to wait in line or sign up in advance and decided to go for it. I got Madden and Full Auto. Also updated for the backward compatibility and was playing KOTOR (the only game I kept when I sold off my original XBOX). Pretty noice!

Looks incredible with 1080i output on my 1080p 60" SXRD.

:D

I do like NBA games... anyone here have any personal anecdotes on whether 2k6 or Live is better?

I do like NBA games... anyone here have any personal anecdotes on whether 2k6 or Live is better?

376889[/snapback]

I have NBA 2K6 and it looks and plays awesome. Bunch of options, good controls, good character models and camera angles (I once walked by a tv at Best Buy and assumed what was on the screen was an actual real game and not a video game until I turned around and they did a closeup). Haven't tried NBA Live yet (planning on renting it at some point), but from most of the reviews and comments I've seen, it looks to be on par with the rest of EA Sports' initial 360 games: Looks a little prettier than its current-gen versions, but has been stripped down a bit. Given how limited Madden and Tiger are (FiFa I can live with), I'd probably stick to 2K6.

If you're a really big basketball video game fan, though, you might be better off renting or borrowing both just to be sure....might be some quirk you prefer in one over the other.

I vacuum the vents on my consoles every year or so.  Use the mini-blinds/brush adapter.  :)

375557[/snapback]

*looks at GameCube*

That's not a bad idea... my computers get it often enough, but I've got 3 game machines with active cooling that are pr'ly full of dust monsters.

Course, I need one of those damn security bits to get the 'Cube's case open and do it right. But the DC and PS2 won't fight me too much.

375566[/snapback]

Not really. All you need is either an air can, or a compressor with a blower attached to it. Blast the air into the Gamecube, and use a vacumn cleaner to suck the dust up. Works wonders.

Makes me want to go and dust every console I have... (Sega Genesis, all the way up to the recent batch)

375557[/snapback]

*looks at GameCube*

375566[/snapback]

Not really. All you need is either an air can, or a compressor with a blower attached to it. Blast the air into the Gamecube, and use a vacumn cleaner to suck the dust up. Works wonders.

I wanna open it anyways. :p

I should be picking up Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter later today. :)

Who else plans on getting it?  Who's interested in playing multiplayer either competively or coop play?

378132[/snapback]

I wasn't going to get it, considering that it came out at the same time Burnout did. Burnout's really more my thing. Plus, I hated the original Ghost Recon.

But, I hear that the GR series has evolved to the point that it's not really at all like the original. And GRAW is getting excellent reviews. I might just check it out after all...

I guess alot of people are giving it like a 9 and what not......but the visuals do look nice awnd I hear the sun light is killer too....makes it very difficult to see certain things cause of the enviorment your in.

I however saw REALLY nasty ratings for Full Auto : / I was seeing a bit of it at a friends place on his 60 inch wide screen HDTV....and I wasn't impressed.

GRAW's pretty downright fun so far. It's still got the tense feeling of not being able to take too many hits, but in many cases it's not a 'one-hit and you're down' level, except with headshots and/or the harder difficulty. You're still moving from cover to cover, though, which is the important and fun thing (I like running'n'gunning from time to time, but I generally prefer this style).

In some ways, it feel like a Full Spectrum Warrior, but with only one squad and you directly controlling one of the guys. Just wish your buddy's AI was a little smarter or conservative. When set on assault, they behave like your typical brash online person...sometimes running single-handedly at enemies. Enemy AI is mixed. Sometimes they'll come running out straight over a buddy's body like a Battlefield 2 medic, making an easy target, but I've also seen them do some nice distraction fire while a guy or two tries to flank (and I've seen this in random places in instant action mode too, so I know it's not just scripted for particular moments).

GRAW's single player mode is very, VERY pretty. Has all the right kinds of filters and camera movements to make it feel like you're watching some kind of combat footage. Haven't progressed very far yet, so can't comment on anything from Mexico City's appearance, which looks pretty dead on. In fact, if you stop and think about it, something just feels wrong and if you spend anymore time on it you suddenly realize what it is...the whole city is a ghost town. No civillians, no animals. It's like they evacuated the whole town just so Ghost Recon and the baddies can play. I'm not entirely sure if that's a negative or a postive on just how much the place otherwise looks real.

Mulitplayer mode is a little toned down graphically from single player. Less filters make it look more typical-PC shooter (sorta like Battlefield 2). Still pretty. My biggest disappointment with multiplayer is that you can't use the really cool 'stick to cover' feature that's in multiplayer...would've added a lot to the gameplay elements and would've made suppressing fire a bit more useful since you could more easily pin someone down in a not so mobile position (and, alternatively, they could potentially get lucky shot in between your reloads). Oh well.

Burnout Revenge is also cool. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves wreckless crashing in racing games and either hasn't played a Burnout in a while or who really would love to see a full blown online version. If you've played Burnout Revenge for any serious length of time, though, you won't really get much new here, as expected. It's definitely prettier and really nice in HD, but gameplay-wise, it's the same. I fortunately never got to play much of Burnout Revenge on the XBox, so it works for me.

Online is really cool, though. Like how it marks off a couple of target players at the beginning of each race based on how experienced they are, their ranking, their points in the current series, or what kind of takedown history you two have. Sometimes this WILL cause teammates to deliberately betray and take each other down for personal satisfaction...not sure if I really like that nuance or if it bothers me...sorta swining wide on both sides on that one.

I was psyched about Full Auto, but the demo available online sorta left a 'bleh' taste in my mouth and the subsequent reviews that basically made it seem like the game didn't get much better or deeper than the demo turned me off completely. Have it upcoming as a rental, but if you want vehicular mayhem, I'd go with Burnout. I think what I'm REALLY looking for in a car-fighting game is a good and pure modern day new version of Carmageddon (mostly like the first one with maybe some touches of the first sequel). No guns....at best a few simple trick power-ups like oil slicks maybe (or the big punching fist for those who played it), but otherwise pure crashing and races where you could either come in first place, win by wiping out your opponents, or even win by running over the most pedestrians.

Ooops...rambling...

Had the chance to play it (GRAW) for a few hours last night (I played a little bit of the quick action game and a bunch of online play). Very impressive! :) The graphics are very detailed and awesome, loads of multiplayer/online options (unlike COD2), lots of weapons... I like what I've played so far. :)

Just a few gripes, though. I'm still used to being able to jump and being able to go over ledges in other shooters like COD2 and I wish it were easier to use your other weapons on the fly, but at least the grenades are much more effective to use then in COD2!

Edited by Apollo Leader

it's an ugly console, but i must admit the graphics are impressive... especially new games coming at the end of March.

378761[/snapback]

WHAAAAAAT?

The 360 is the best looking console on the market, not to mention it sports the best 3D controller ever.

378811[/snapback]

Gotta disagree. I'd call the PS2 a nicer-looking machine.

As for best 3D controller... that was claimed by Sega in 1996 with the "Nights" gamepad. Though there have been challengers, none have yet dethroned it. Which is really, really sad.

The 360 pad is nothing more than MS taking a generally decent controller with some remarkably good ideas(the gamepad has been stangnant for so long that ANY real change is remarkable) and then throwing a a hard-won decade of controller evolution away because some dumb-expletive kiddies can't accept that the pinancle of perfection is NOT in fact an SNES pad with extra bits glued on at random. I'm actually surprised they kept the analog triggers.

The 360 has 2 major sins, relative to XBox1 pads:

1. Double shoulder buttons.

ALWAYS a bad idea. Period. End of story. I hate you, Sony.

2. Orphaning start in the middle of the controller.

Pause should always be readily accessible, and the only controllers to get this right in the modern era are the Genesis and XBox1. This is, perhaps, the greatest crime perpetrated by the NES*.

While they never really worked out the kinks of the original XBox layout(6 face buttons was strangely confusing for MS), I firmly believe that the XBox S pad was a better controller than the 360 pad.

*Not to say the NES was a bad system. In fact it was a rather nice one. I can't hate any system with standard output connectors. But it had some very BAD ideas in it. Most died rather swiftly(hell, hardwired controllers were nixed before the FamiCom was ever exported). A few... didn't.

The NES brickpad is still setting controller standards twenty years later, and it was a horrible input device to start with. About the only things done right were the physical construction of the d-pad and action buttons. Those were just glued onto a rectangular box with no thought to playability. Pause wasn't even considered a possible feature when the pad was designed(for proof, look at the complete lack of start and select on the Famicom's player 2 pad).

Controller evolution essentially stopped dead in its tracks with the SNES. Any new changes are either haphazardly glued-on extensions of the SNES pad or mocked by the market until they are abandoned.