Scoop! 1/60 VF-0S from Yamato!

MCC

Just wondering should I try emailing my old contacts at Yamato about the incorrect head lasers?

They haven't spoken to me in more than a year, but I guess it can't hurt.

Graham

314178[/snapback]

Are you sure there weren't any black out periods the last time you saw them? What could you possibly have done??? :blink::p

314218[/snapback]

Well there was that incident where Graham supposedly drank his own weight in whiskey and marched up to Yamato HQ and peed on the front door... but I'm pretty sure the cameras never caught his face. :lol:

Just kidding, newbs. Graham can't drink his own weight in whiskey. It must have been beer.

Heh...hey guys since apparently this will not have any diecast(says ABS/PVC on ad),...anyone getting the feeling this willl be...

CHEAPER?

YES!!! More affordable is good! Although I do not mind paying more for some diecast. ;)

314236[/snapback]

Nope. The Qrau is 99.9% plastic (except screws), still expensive.

If they saved a couple of cents per valk by not using diecast at all, those two cents are going in their pockets. :lol:

I'm thinking yamato will have the common sense to incorporate past experience and at least make the important and most vulnerable to crack parts metal. (just like the 1/48)

As something extra however, I just hope they'll at least tampo print the main markings this time around. I hope I hope I hope..

Edited by Nani?!

Goddamn, I have to stay away from the boards more often! First I come back after the boards were down and see Rohby's amazing JM valk, and now I come back from vacation and see there is a freakin' 1/60 VF-0 on the way! What's next? :lol:

I'm looking forward to following the progress of this beauty. If it's done like the 1/48s we should all (er, most of us) be very happy indeed! B))

Good to see yamato look into mking it a larger scale.  I still may not get this but then again, I havent seen M0.  If I did, I am sure it will inspire me to buy it and possibl piss off my GF  :rolleyes: . Now if Yamato make the yf-19FP, Destroids, enemy battlepods,  and the 1/48 2 seaters, I am set.

314214[/snapback]

You should see it man.

It's not every year we get a macross series (more like every 5-7 years at that) and Zero is definitely worth the time (only five episodes). You'll definitely appreciate the vf-0 valk more when you see it in action. I could be wrong but yeah, what's holding you back?

314224[/snapback]

I need to get my hands on the M0 to see it. Alas, what is holding me back? My wallet is screaming at me. Maybe I shouldnt bought 32 CFs...

Unbelievable !!! I always knew that my Macross dream toy would come in a near future. Yes :D

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait ... :p

I'm for the SV-51. Despite its spindly appearance, it represents something new and different, which interests me. While I like the VF-0, to me it is just a VF-1 upgraded to today's aircraft aesthetics, making it prettier in my opinion, than the VF-1, but still basically a VF-1 by transformation and basic look. I wish Mr. Kawamori had put a little more imagination into the VF-1's predecessor, making it a unique transforming design. Alas, it's his baby. I'm just glad Yamato still shows interest in the license, and I will most likely add a VF-0 to my collection should they produce them.

And yes, Graham, the "needle" on the front is a pitot tube used to indicate airspeed(I work on planes for the USAF)

[quote I wanted to despise yamato and move on and now they make this. :(

sigh... I'm confused...

I despise Yamato-but I love their Macross products. B))

Since there has hardly been any Macross toy news for the longest time, I haven't hardly bothered looking in here anymore! :D

This is great news that the VF-0 is getting a large, detailed toy.

Graham, if you see this, do you remain in touch with Yamato at all anymore? Yamato should remember that you were pretty much their number one salesman for the "unofficial" international market! :D

I'm for the SV-51. Despite its spindly appearance, it represents something new and different, which interests me. While I like the VF-0, to me it is just a VF-1 upgraded to today's aircraft aesthetics, making it prettier in my opinion, than the VF-1, but still basically a VF-1 by transformation and basic look. I wish Mr. Kawamori had put a little more imagination into the VF-1's predecessor, making it a unique transforming design. Alas, it's his baby. I'm just glad Yamato still shows interest in the license, and I will most likely add a VF-0 to my collection should they produce them.

And yes, Graham, the "needle" on the front is a pitot tube used to indicate airspeed(I work on planes for the USAF)

314375[/snapback]

I gotta disagree with the upgrade part man. The canopy is more bulbous, the plane is bigger, has "interim" engines that are not as reliable as the VF-1 engines, (much like the TF-30 on the F-14A ...until the FINALLY got the long awaited more reliable much more powerful GEF110), has more drag, has a normal HUD, heavier, and possibly slower due to drag and weight.

The VF-1 has glass canopy HUD, more reliable engines, sleeker, less drag, more advanced transformation(though not by much), more armor options, and looks more aerodynamically sound...seriously the VF-0 to VF-1 to me is like comparing an F-15 to an F-22.

The VF-0 is the bridge between the gap of the modern fighter and variable fighter.

But hell I'm a sucker for vintage fighters...and the VF-0 looks vintage and badass to me.

If we go for the "maximum similarity with the F-14" like we usually do with the VF-1 and VF-0, I would say the VF-0's nose pitot is for alpha, not airspeed.

Or it could very well be for multiple things, like the F-16's.

I live in hope. Your past reviews were the most thorough and objective critiques of the Yamato products. The reason I purchased a Yamato 1/48 was based in part on your review and I should have listened more to your critique of the 1/60 before I purchased one :(

Edited by Mr March

I live in hope.  Your past reviews were the most thorough and objective critiques of the Yamato products.  The reason I purchased a Yamato 1/48 was based in part on your review and I should have listened more to your critique of the 1/60 before I purchased one :(

314563[/snapback]

I most definitely concur...

Graham's preference of the 1/48 vf-1S hikaru actually tipped my decision to buy one over the Roy version and dog gone it I'm glad I did. Roy 1/48's are still in production while the hikaru is a rarity. So yeah, his reviews are definitely an influence to my purchase decisions.

Now imagine if yamato actually was nice enough to provide a near complete proto for the review as well... woah... :o

imagine that.....................

Edited by Nani?!

314375[/snapback]

I gotta disagree with the upgrade part man. The canopy is more bulbous, the plane is bigger, has "interim" engines that are not as reliable as the VF-1 engines, (much like the TF-30 on the F-14A ...until the FINALLY got the long awaited more reliable much more powerful GEF110), has more drag, has a normal HUD, heavier, and possibly slower due to drag and weight.

The VF-1 has glass canopy HUD, more reliable engines, sleeker, less drag, more advanced transformation(though not by much), more armor options, and looks more aerodynamically sound...seriously the VF-0 to VF-1 to me is like comparing an F-15 to an F-22.

The VF-0 is the bridge between the gap of the modern fighter and variable fighter.

But hell I'm a sucker for vintage fighters...and the VF-0 looks vintage and badass to me.

314467[/snapback]

Shin,

Dude, you definitely know your specs, and most certainly the VF-1 is a superior aircraft; however, my comment was merely aimed at the VF-0's appearance, i.e, angled panels, panel lines, exhausts, etc. all created to give a contemporary "stealth" appearance inherent in nearly every American fighter/ bomber since the F-117. Since stealth technology was still deep black when Shoji Kawamori designed the VF-1 back in the early 80's, he did not incorporate those external features into that particular design. Thus, in my mind, it was an upgrade in design from only an aesthetic point of view. To a non-Macross fan who knows anything about military planes, the VF-1 looks dated next to the more contemporary looking VF-0. However in all other respects, the VF-1 is the better design.

Thanks for the comments; guess I needed to clarify my position. Also, personally I love both designs, although the VF-0 gains points with me for the reasons stated above. It's all about the angles, man!!!!!

314375[/snapback]

314467[/snapback]

Shin,

Dude, you definitely know your specs, and most certainly the VF-1 is a superior aircraft; however, my comment was merely aimed at the VF-0's appearance, i.e, angled panels, panel lines, exhausts, etc. all created to give a contemporary "stealth" appearance inherent in nearly every American fighter/ bomber since the F-117. Since stealth technology was still deep black when Shoji Kawamori designed the VF-1 back in the early 80's, he did not incorporate those external features into that particular design. Thus, in my mind, it was an upgrade in design from only an aesthetic point of view. To a non-Macross fan who knows anything about military planes, the VF-1 looks dated next to the more contemporary looking VF-0. However in all other respects, the VF-1 is the better design.

Thanks for the comments; guess I needed to clarify my position. Also, personally I love both designs, although the VF-0 gains points with me for the reasons stated above. It's all about the angles, man!!!!!

314635[/snapback]

Ah its cool man. I understand now. For some reason I might actually like the VF-0 better than the VF-1....just looks more like a rugged fighter to me...which I like. I love the addition of LERX, and the robot mode head is pretty menacing on the S. The variants are pretty cool as well. And while the VF-1 is all advanced and glitz, I love the feel of the VF-0..gives off the impression of being a warhorse.

Graham please do a review! I miss your reviews man. If you do any of the reviews you promised a few months back(VF-1J wFP, FP set), then that would be great too! I think we ALL miss your reviews man!

And once I get my VF-0 I will be doing a review for ringofcollectors/rocuniverse.com as well.

Comparing the Yamato fighter mode lineart to the Hasagawa fighter mode lineart, it appears that the Yamato has a smaller canopy.

I guess this was done to make it easier to fit under the chestplate and heatshield in battroid mode.

Graham

313846[/snapback]

Graham, where did you get that picture of the Fast Pack VF-0A? I was planning on buying another 0 to paint like that but if hasegawa is gonna produce a kit like that I may just wait.

Chris

Ah its cool man. I understand now.  For some reason I might actually like the VF-0 better than the VF-1....just looks more like a rugged fighter to me...which I like.  I love the addition of LERX, and the robot mode head is pretty menacing on the S.  The variants are pretty cool as well.  And while the VF-1 is all advanced and glitz, I love the feel of the VF-0..gives off the impression of being a warhorse.

314642[/snapback]

I am with you, the VF-0 dose look the rugged fighter look. I will admit when I first saw it I fell in love with it. I love the design changes that has gone into it, but like you siad, "it gives off the impression of being a warhorse."

the only thing that makes the VF-1 more advanced is its compact size.

looks wise the VF-0 was DEFINITLY designed in 2003 or whenever Kawamori-san drew it because it looks like an upgraded VF-1 to me, not the other way around. basically what M'Kyuun is saying.

looks wise the VF-0 was DEFINITLY designed in 2003 or whenever Kawamori-san drew it because it looks like an upgraded VF-1 to me, not the other way around. basically what M'Kyuun is saying.

314731[/snapback]

Definitely, some may contest to the belief that the vf-0 is a prototype platform of new technologies that the vf-1 might implement in their production but will never be introduced because of cost factor which in a realistic standpoint is possible. This happens all the time from x-planes to futuristic car prototypes.

314735[/snapback]

Way to cover for timeline inconsistencies! I agree wholeheartedly...companies cut corners all the time due to design, material, and manufacturing costs. Applied to the VF-0 and VF-1, Mr. Kawamori most likely designed the Zero as a larger, bumpier fighter so as to emphasize the more streamlined, compact design of the VF-1. It makes sense. What I do like on the VF-0 over the Vf-1 is the chining, contemporary angled panels, and the head design. Both are great designs, and deserve shelf space. :p

314731[/snapback]

Your just judging it by looks. While there is no doubt in my mind that the VF-0 definitely looks newer and its obvious Kawamori designed it in 2002 rather than 1981, if you break it down the VF-0 comes off older...primitive even, not as advanced.

THe F-14A had TF-30 engines. They sucked...caused a lot of flat spins, pilots hated them, the F-14 was underpowered as a result, and it was not even supposed to power the F-14 in the first place!(the ATE was supposed to power it). Not to mention the engine was unreliable and though kind of groundbreaking for its time by all means was not the BEST to power a powerful fighter of that nature. Maybe a civilian airliner that just travels, not a mean fighting beast that has to defend a fleet and dogfight or intercept depending on situations. So years later the GE F110 came into play, the engine was the total opposite of the TF-30, it was reliable had MORE power, and the F-14 was finally not underpowered. Pilots were happy, and everything was happy ever after.

The VF-0 has an engine that isn't supposed to power it either! It was meant to have the engines on the VF-1 but those engines were not ready in time. The VF-0 has a regular HUD. The VF-1 by DYRL time has a HUD imposed on the windscreen. Not to mention the VF-1 has the better engines. The missles on the VF-1 also have sleeker folding fin missles. The VF-0 does not. The VF-0 is bigger and presumably harder to handle not to mention heavier and undoubtedly slower(there was a comparison saying that the SV-51 was meant for combat to begin with where as the VF-0 was a test fighter for the most part....technology demonstrator?). The VF-1 has more booster options....and armor enhancements. All the VF-0's stuff are test things. Remember the key point here is that the VF-0 is an interim fighter in itseld, and I believe it was meant as a technology demonstrator.

THe VF-0's got the stealthier aspects presumably. And to me I think it looks better.

Looks and aesthetics wise...yes I agree it is better. Its a warhorse you look at it and you know its deadly. But component and technology wise? No. It's like comparing and apple seed to a grown apple. The seed is the beginning stage, the apple is the final result.

Either way I hope we get more pics of the toy! This lineart has me drooling and it looks to be further along designwise(on paper) then tha 1/.100 did!

Actually, airliner engines are far more reliable than fighter engines. They have to be. Basically: 300 passengers on 14 hour flights, hundreds if not thousands of those flights around the world, 24/7. Versus say a few F-14's on patrol, with 2 people each, as needed, on 2 to 4 hour CAPs (and that's stretching it). Far more lives are at stake with the airliner's engines. And you can't eject from an airliner. A PW2040 and a F119 have the same power, but the fighter's engine runs far faster and hotter, because it has to get the same power in like 1/10 the size and weight. You trade reliability and maintenance ease for the ability to get the same power in a much smaller package.

It always comes down to space and weight on a plane.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The VF-0 has an  engine that isn't supposed to power it either!  It was  meant to have the engines on the VF-1 but those engines were not ready in time. The VF-0 has a regular HUD.  The VF-1 by DYRL time has a HUD imposed on the windscreen.  Not to mention the VF-1 has the better engines.  The missles on the VF-1 also have sleeker folding fin missles. The VF-0 does not.  The VF-0 is bigger and presumably harder to handle not to mention heavier and undoubtedly slower(there was a comparison saying that the SV-51 was meant for combat to begin with where as the VF-0 was a test fighter for the most part....technology demonstrator?).  The VF-1  has more booster options....and armor enhancements. All the VF-0's stuff are test things.  Remember the key point  here is that the VF-0 is an interim fighter in itseld, and I believe it was meant as a technology demonstrator. 

Good observation and comparisons shin.

but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, macross, though as realistic as it can be, isn't, and doesn't really try to be for that matter.

I think we're just giving ourselves a headache trying explain the continuity between two different anime fighters that are reversed both at the time designed by kawamori and their existence in the macross timeline.

Also one point I might mention as just FYI is that both the yf-19 and the 21 are "bigger" sized fighters than the vf-1, and they're set in the timeline ahead of it. I'm just mentioning it since I hear alot of people using that as a bullet point to say that smaller size serves as an advancement in valkyries, which those two examples state otherwise.

Anyway, lets just continue to talk about how gosh darn happy we are the vf-0 is actually coming out in kick ass 1/60 scale. This caught me so off guard that it's actually giving me hope that we might see a yf-19fp someday.

Props to the classic vf-1 but next gen valks all the way!

Graham, where did you get that picture of the Fast Pack VF-0A? I was planning on buying another 0 to paint like that but if hasegawa is gonna produce a kit like that I may just wait.

Chris

That pic is from the new September issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine just released a few days ago.

And yes, Hasegawa will be releasing the VF-0A with booster in September or October. This was announced a few months ago already.

Graham