SDF Macross Licensed by ADV

3. From all I've heard, ADV's discs seem to be more robust (i.e. none of the cracking issues) than Animeigo's. I'd probably keep the Animeigo set as the "good china," for lack of a better term, and watch the ADV set more frequently.

I'm sorry to pull this off topic, but what is this cracking issue with the Animeigo DVDs? I haven't been keeping up with the latest Macross news like I used to so I'm in the dark about this issue. I bought the Animeigo box set when it first came out, but I haven't watched them in a while. I've been getting the urge to watch the series again, but I'd like to know more about this cracking issue before I do. I don't have the ability to make backups of my DVDs at the moment (ancient computer with no DVD drive). I'd like to know what the cracking is about before I put the originals in the DVD player and turn them into dust! Any info would be appreciated.

310515[/snapback]

What happens with some of the Animeigo DVDs (and I put this at the feet of their icehouse, Koch Entertainment) is that their plastic can be brittle, and so the inside of the hub starts to crack. If you let it go to far, the crack can migrate into the data part of the disc, ruining it.

Betting Animeigo won't even be credited with the remaster.

310397[/snapback]

Harmony Gold has stated that AnimEigo will be credited with the subtitling and remastering job, and the original liner notes which appeared with the originals will be included with the ADV release. This is going to be funny, as ADV's competitor may be included on their packaging.

310490[/snapback]

Actually, you're mixing things up. That was specifically in regards to HG selling off the last of their Animeigo disc stock at robotech.com, you know, the one packaged in the new box. There has been no news as to which subtitles they'll use with the new ADV set.

And come on, considering the cushy relationship they have, do you honestly think HG will stop ADV from subtitling Macross? Hell, do you remember how soon after the Macross announcement was made that ADV made their robotech DVD announcement (and rushed them to market to beat AnimEigo at the release punch). This has likely all been planned for years. AnimEigo didn't pass on the renewal of their contract, they just weren't given the option.

With that said..I'll still definately pick up the new set for one very important reason, i.e. the disc cracking issue. If my AnimEigo disc's hold up, then great, if not, then I want a definate backup. Plus maybe they'll package it in a 6-7 disc thinpak box.

They'll probably re-pack it in the slim cases. I doubt they'll cram the episodes on the discs though. They'll probably keep the 9-disc format...but who knows.

310550[/snapback]

A little info for comparison's sake:

The Australian release, by Madman, of the AnimEigo restored Macross series comes in a box set of 6 discs -- three standard DVD cases with plastic insert trays so that each case can carry 2 discs. It comes with three booklets, one for each DVD case, containing Egan Loo's liner notes.

The ONLY reference to AnimEigo I have found is on the last page of one of the liner notes booklets, where it says "Special Thanks to Animeigo" or something. Well, unless you count the mention of Animeigo's role in the restoration process during the Ishiguro interview on disc 6.

www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?releaseId=3470&method=view

So there you go. I doubt ADV will credit Animeigo with anything more than a brif mention, and certainly not on the cover. Of course, I could be wrong, though.

I kind of hope they do retranslate it, though I'm not a fan of their policies. I'd only want that as I too would think that it's pretty sad that an Animeigo release is put out with ADV logos all over the place.

I'm inclined to side with Keith. Animeigo was most likely not given the option.

i will not be buying the new boxset (once is quite enough).

i will however buy the empty box should they decide to sell it separately (i think it looks nicer then AE's box)

310525[/snapback]

Why buy their box? Why not get the Paul Champagne boxes that were specially made for us members of Macross World? MW members AlphaHX and Mechamaniac put a lot of hard work into having these made, and they also hold the DYRL movie as well as the Flashback 2012 and Macross 20th Anniversary DVD's.

Go here: http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/macross.html

With that said..I'll still definately pick up the new set for one very important reason, i.e. the disc cracking issue. If my AnimEigo disc's hold up, then great, if not, then I want a definate backup. Plus maybe they'll package it in a 6-7 disc thinpak box.

310540[/snapback]

They might pack it in a thinpak, but given their packaging for their old-school series (City Hunter, Mospeada, Southern Cross, etc.) they'll probably do it up in a brickpak.

I've just gotten the Animeigo set like 2 months ago. I don't need any more.

Plus dubbing (to me) just insults the source material. for 'lesser shows' I can deal, but you always lose something in the translation. Macross is too sacred! (seriously, the production value is enormous)

So unless this new set is 'teh bombs', i'm happy with my animeigo.

(oh, and my DVDs aren't tight in the cases...should i still be worried?)

Oh, and those setboxes are SWEET. (first time i've checked them out...). I may have to get one.

Between the fact that ADV didn't dub MOSPEADA or Southern Cross, and the fact that dubbing is a routine practice as opposed to an extravagant expense, I'm inclined to believe 1 was only mentioned so it didn't look like they were saying "Don't blame us, we WANTED to do it right..."

Dubbing is an extravagant expense if you're a small company like AnimEigo. They have limited finances, and it usually doesn't make sense for them to dub things because their primary audience is hardcore otaku.

On another note, with HG and ADV having such a close relationship, maybe DYRL will finally be licensed and released the proper way.

Why buy their box? Why not get the Paul Champagne boxes that were specially made for us members of Macross World? MW members AlphaHX and Mechamaniac put a lot of hard work into having these made, and they also hold the DYRL movie as well as the Flashback 2012 and Macross 20th Anniversary DVD's.

err..i have that box already. both of them in fact. i just like AE's box as well to store other loose DVDs in.

Between the fact that ADV didn't dub MOSPEADA or Southern Cross, and the fact that dubbing is a routine practice as opposed to an extravagant expense, I'm inclined to believe 1 was only mentioned so it didn't look like they were saying "Don't blame us, we WANTED to do it right..."

Dubbing is an extravagant expense if you're a small company like AnimEigo. They have limited finances, and it usually doesn't make sense for them to dub things because their primary audience is hardcore otaku.

Well, the majority of their products are dubbed(just ran through the drop-down list on their site because I've got too much time on my hands).

You still make a good point.

They're smaller than some other companies, and DID spend a large sum of cash on the remaster. They may've already used the "dub fund" on the remaster.

There's also the fact that Animeigo, as a company, has never been big on dubbing anyway. In fact, they freely admit that some of their past attempts have resulted in some of the worst dubs ever made. Animeigo's subs first policy is one thing that always set them apart ("The best movies you'll ever read.").

There's also the fact that Animeigo, as a company, has never been big on dubbing anyway.  In fact, they freely admit that some of their past attempts have resulted in some of the worst dubs ever made.  Animeigo's subs first policy is one thing that always set them apart ("The best movies you'll ever read.").

310754[/snapback]

Waitwait... Animeigo started off dubbing games?

:)

I have the original AnimEigo release with the hologram. I was one of the many who pre-ordered way before they came out. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing this set.

310569[/snapback]

My sentiments echoes Duke's.

But I will say one thing.

One part of me is glad to own the original set. Another part of me feels jipped to pay $250 for it.

Edited by JRock

I have the original AnimEigo release with the hologram. I was one of the many who pre-ordered way before they came out. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing this set.

310569[/snapback]

One part of me is glad to own the original set. Another part of me feels jipped to pay $250 for it.

310888[/snapback]

I can understand That. I waited and only paid $120.00 for all three box sets. :blink: I'll still buy the dubbed set if the dub is good. ;)

310888[/snapback]

AnimEigo was able to do the quality restoration work that they did for this series because of the preorder commitments and payments made for the original 9 DVD set box by people such as yourself.

So think of it as you being partly responsible for the restoration of Macross.

As for anyone, who is concerned with DVD cracking. Why don't you just back up your DVDs. That's what I did. The duplicates play as well as the originals. I'm currently selling some extra AnimEigo sets with the DVD-r backups included. Another thing one can do to preserve thier discs is to store them in a more reliable DVD case.

Edited by VT-102

310569[/snapback]

310888[/snapback]

I payed $290, quit your whining.

But I also got 3 more years of enjoyment out of them. So I consider it a good deal. :)

Actually, you're mixing things up. That was specifically in regards to HG selling off the last of their Animeigo disc stock at robotech.com, you know, the one packaged in the new box. There has been no news as to which subtitles they'll use with the new ADV set.

310540[/snapback]

Well, I guess those few news stories I had seen were wrong then. I'm sure that in one form or another AnimEigo is still going to get credit for the restoration, and I do not see any way for ADV to avoid this. And I'm pretty sure that HG may have purchased the copyright from AnimEigo to use their subtitles. It would be strange to see two different subbed versions out there. But that is my opinion and it is always open for discussion.

310540[/snapback]

Well, I guess those few news stories I had seen were wrong then. I'm sure that in one form or another AnimEigo is still going to get credit for the restoration, and I do not see any way for ADV to avoid this. And I'm pretty sure that HG may have purchased the copyright from AnimEigo to use their subtitles. It would be strange to see two different subbed versions out there. But that is my opinion and it is always open for discussion.

310943[/snapback]

If the coyright rolled to HG on termination of contract, there's nothing Animeigo can do about it.

We already know they're getting crap for the remaster, and a "special thanks" note for the liners.

Edited by JB0

That is definatley one thing the ADV set will lack, ADV's big beautiful thick subtitle font. I actually do hope ADV tweaks the translation a bit though, and ditches the little things like the star trek references. But we'll see.

That is definatley one thing the ADV set will lack, ADV's big beautiful thick subtitle font. I actually do hope ADV tweaks the translation a bit though, and ditches the little things like the star trek references. But we'll see.

310961[/snapback]

Getting ADV to fix a translation is like getting a blind man to fix a half-blind man's work.

You could be sure they'd also 'fix' all the usages of 'Sempai' to something like 'Big Brother' among other things since ADV translations cater to the lowest common denominator.

I highly doubt they'd retranslate it though. Why go to the time and expense when they'll already recieve ready made subtitles direct from HG?

Does anyone really have a problem with Animeigo's translations?  I thought everyone believed it was a good one.

310987[/snapback]

It is, really. It's just that there are a handful of minor annoyances which rather than just being errors, were intentional. A Star Trek quote, some slang that felt out of place, etc.

Overall it's great, better than what ADV would do. But the little issues stand out because the set it otherwise perfect (other than color and saturation issues with the video but that's a whole other topic)

For the people who think they paid too much for Macross when it first came out, keep in mind that without those initial purchasers paying a higher cost to help offset the restoration costs, the set might never have even come out. And we got it a long time before people could buy it at cheaper prices, too.

( release a bare bones version, then a special edition, then a special special edition, then package it with the trilogy with a bonus disc you cant get unless you buy the entire trilogy....)

And then a HD-DVD and a Blue-Ray HDTV edition released in parallel, each with different extras. Of course marketing will claim new tech that can extract high defination video out of those 30 years old footage and some fanboy will still buy it.

Well you know it will happen with Eva.

There is money to be made on this "property". AnimEigo did a poor distribution of it. Sure you could buy the discs on the internet, but it being widely available in stores opens it up to a larger audience to buy. Remember, many people still do not like to buy things over the internet and a dub on it makes it even more appealing to the masses.

Animeigo mentions a little on their website.

http://www.animeigo.com/Products/MACROSS.t

Never saw an Animiego sets in brick and motor stores. Maybe ADV can make that happen......

:p

311241[/snapback]

The box sets are usually Animeigo website-exclusive. They offer them primarily to those who pre-order, and then, if there are any left, they sell them from the website on a first-come, first-served basis.

I'd seen the Macross miniboxes and individual discs in Suncoasts and Towers in a couple of locations. But yeah, Animeigo doesn't have the penetration of ADV.

How well does a twenty year old show sell to the Adult Swim crowd?

310344[/snapback]

I recall them trying with Mobile Suit Gundam... didn't last more than a few months, IIRC.

310351[/snapback]

IIRC, The original MSG wasn't on Adult Swim, just regular CN blocks of programming, presumably Toonami. I don't know for sure what time/day it was on cause at the time, I didn't have CN. But it was NOT on Adult Swim.

Old shows simply aren't marketable on Adult Swim because of the demographic it caters to. Robotech/Macross is an exception, IMHO.

But One Year War Gundam? Forget it...

But yeah, Animeigo doesn't have the penetration of ADV.

311410[/snapback]

[butthead] huh huh..... huh huh, you said "Penetration"... huh huh... huh huh. [/butthead]

311458[/snapback]

Oh, verrrrryyy mature...just keep in mind, I'm no longer your lackey :p