Robotech and HG license debates

NOT SO FAST..................

ABOVE SAYS THAT THEY (BW) THOUGHT IT WAS TO EASY......FOR A DEAL TO BE STRUCT. NOT ABOUT PULING OUT OF A FUTURE AGREMENT BECOUSE OF HG. BW ALREADY KNOWS WHO IS WHO ON THE LEGALITY ISSUES.

JUST THAT MAYBE, MAYBE, IT IS BETTER TO WORK ON A BETTER PROPOSED DEAL THAN WHAT THEY HAD PENDING FROM PAST ARRANGEMENTS.

YOU KNOW.....DON'T SCREW IT UP AGAIN AND MAKE SURE WHAT BOTH SIDES ARE GETTING..... :p

OR WE MIGHT START A HG/BW DEBATE PART DEUX :blink:

ALL OVER AGAIN :p

HEHEHE

• 3 weeks later...

No real news, just want to put in a link to a relevant discussion that appeared elsewhere on the site:

Toycom becomes Yamato USA

Until I saw that thread, I'd been wondering about statements by Graham and by a Yamato employee over on another BBS, to the effect that Yamato doesn't have rights to distribute Macross toys in the US. This was puzzling, since I knew that Toycom had obtained that right from Big West, and Toycom had later been bought out by Yamato.

It turns out that, according to the referenced thread (with Kevin of Valk Exchange providing the details), Toycom signed an agreement with HG that it wouldn't distribute Macross toys, before Toycom was bought by Yamato.

So BW gave Yamato a license for distribution in Japan, while Toycom got a license for North America. Toycom's license is useless due to their agreement with HG. Big West at one point granted a toy distribution license to "Sunwards", but news articles on the web from around July, 2002, state that HG also threatened Sunwards with legal action, and while I haven't turned up anything regarding an agreement or settlement between Sunwards and HG, it's clear that Sunwards hasn't done anything with the license.

The importance of this information (such as it is) is that Yamato's "admission" that they lack NA rights for Macross doesn't really tell us anything about BW's stance.

Sorry for rehashing something that was probably already known to old-timers, and probably for boring nearly everyone else, but since we don't have access to the old forums, this helps settle a piece of the puzzle.

• 4 weeks later...

JUST TO ADD.

FROM ROBOTECH.COM

(POST BY Odyn AND Darkwater

Animation magazine Nov. 04

NEW ROBOTECH SERIES INFO

It will be a 90 Minute Feature on DVD and VHS coming on out in 2005.

It will have characters from all three chapters of Robotech. “With Bernard and a new cadre of characters that will battle a new menace.” (hopefully not phantom)

The article states that it’s 40% CG and 60% 2d. The 3d software used has been Alias’ Maya, Discreet’s 3ds max, Shake and Combustion. Tatsunoko is noted as playing a strong role too.

Ford Riley wrote the Script and Kenji Terada was consulted to help out too.

Ford Riley

"Megas XLR" (2004)

"ChalkZone" (2002)

"¡Mucha Lucha!" (2002)

"Teamo Supremo" (2002) (and story editor)

"What's with Andy?" (2001)

"Teacher's Pet" (2000) (and story editor)

"Angela Anaconda" (1999)

"Recess" (1997)

"Timon and Pumbaa" (1995)

This list was taken from IMDB, so it might not be 100% accruate.

Kenji Terada

(FROM ANIME NEWS NETWORK)

BAOH (OAV) : Screenplay

Cat's Eye (TV) : Script

Dancougar - Super Beast Machine God (TV) : Screenplay

Dirty Pair (TV) : Script

Kimagure Orange Road (TV) : Episode Director, Series Concept

Kimagure Orange Road OVA : Screenplay

Kimagure Orange Road: Summer's Beginning (movie) : Screenplay

Kimagure Orange Road: The Movie : Screenplay

Maitchingu Machiko-sensei (TV) : Script

Plawres Sanshiro (TV) : Script

St. Luminous Mission High School (TV) : Original story

Ushio & Tora (OAV) : Screenplay

Wedding Peach (TV) : Script

FOR MORE INFO THIS MONTH, CHECK ARTICLES IN THESE MAGS.

this week - Animation Magazine

Oct. 27 - NewType

Nov.(?) - Anime Insider

At least they're getting an anime writer to help pen the script...and they're actually crediting him with it. I always thought that HG's M.O. was to deny the nation of Japan even exists... <_<

I fail to see how more Robotech could affect your love of Macross since this is going to essentially be a sequel to Mospeada.

It doesn't. I was joking around with the idea of what the response of a Macross site would be to that question. :rolleyes: It is sad that HG can't get anything truly original off the ground though, but I digress.

Do we really need more Robotech? Of course, this being a Macross site, I think I know the answer I'll get.

I fail to see how more Robotech could affect your love of Macross since this is going to essentially be a sequel to Mospeada.

It's not going to be a sequel to Mospeada, it's gonna pick up where the Mospeada portion of Robotech left off. You don't think they're gonna mine the Macross saga? You think Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes won't show up?

There's a good chance you won't see logans and hovertanks though... ;)

Do we really need more Robotech? Of course, this being a Macross site, I think I know the answer I'll get.

It's not going to be a sequel to Mospeada, it's gonna pick up where the Mospeada portion of Robotech left off. You don't think they're gonna mine the Macross saga? You think Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes won't show up?

There's a good chance you won't see logans and hovertanks though... ;)

Hahahaha!!! Yeah no logans or hovertanks... The ONLY thing HG has ever done right is knowing what sucks and NOT pushing it on the public. IE: SC stuff.

Hahahaha!!!  Yeah no logans or hovertanks... The ONLY thing HG has ever done right is knowing what sucks and NOT pushing it on the public.  IE: SC stuff.

Well f*ck you and the white horse you thought you rode in on...... :angry:

Ouch! While his phrasing may not be the most tactful, AgentONE does have a point. Southern Cross was arguably the least popular segment f Robotech, back in '85 and today.

Hahahaha!!!  Yeah no logans or hovertanks... The ONLY thing HG has ever done right is knowing what sucks and NOT pushing it on the public.  IE: SC stuff.

Ouch! While his phrasing may not be the most tactful, AgentONE does have a point. Southern Cross was arguably the least popular segment f Robotech, back in '85 and today.

Im sorry, I have to third that,,,Sales of those items kinda proves so, So in saying that, I dont think they will use that part of the "franchise"

HAHAHA..

I just saw this post after I replied to you in the "post-25-1077316877.jpg Shadow Force to the RESCUE!!post-25-1077316877.jpg thread.

I forgot about the fact that you are nuts about SC... Don't take it personally. I just wipe my ass with HG and their pooch-screw prducts.

Don't hate me because I don't like SC... That would be like me hating people for not agreeing with me that Conan The Barbarian is the greatest film of all time and should replace the bible. Amazingly enough there are a ton of people that don't agree with me.

I'm sure they'll use SC characters though. Hopefully they bring along Marie and Nova. I liked SC for the armor designs, military structure and for 2 of their mechs. The Hover tanks and the AJAX. In the Robotech Art books there's a cool pic of Dana with short hair and a kickass hoverbike, IIRC.

Im sorry, I have to third that,,,Sales of those items kinda proves so, So in saying that, I dont think they will use that part of the "franchise"

I'll fourth that. When I was buying my ROBOTECH DVDs, I thought maybe I'd buy the Southern Cross segment just for completion's sake.. but I decided against it. I did buy the Macross and New Generation segments, but I realized I'd never watch Southern Cross if I had bought it. I agree that unfortunately for Southern Cross fans, that general feeling toward the series is probably why we're not seeing related product today.

Besides the old ROBOTECH action figures and hovertank by Matchbox, I think the only other Southern Cross merchandise I saw were the original SDC Southern Cross armored pilot figure kits from Japan.

In the Robotech Art books there's a cool pic of Dana with short hair and a kickass hoverbike, IIRC.

Yeah, the Thunderclapper combat hovercycle. HG turned it into a pin years ago (I managed to find one on Ebay a year ago). A wallscroll of this pic (colorized) might have been a better choice than the Nurse Dana....

post-26-1098451060.jpg

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

In the Robotech Art books there's a cool pic of Dana with short hair and a kickass hoverbike, IIRC.

Yeah, the Thunderclapper combat hovercycle. HG turned it into a pin years ago (I managed to find one on Ebay a year ago). A wallscroll of this pic (colorized) might have been a better choice than the Nurse Dana....

Thunderclapper? Is that what you get after you get a Thunderhummer?

:lol:

HELLLOO NURSE :o

Heh...nice. ;)

It is indeed the most 'atmospheric' segment of the overall show, the rest being more focused on pure action IMO :)

Actually....I find the Macross and Mospeada to be less action oriented than Southern Cross (especially the later eps. of SC with all the space battles).

Oh, we are into the license debates thread? :rolleyes:

It is indeed the most 'atmospheric' segment of the overall show, the rest being more focused on pure action IMO :)

Actually....I find the Macross and Mospeada to be less action oriented than Southern Cross (especially the later eps. of SC with all the space battles).

Well, Mospeada has combats in almost every episode but not obligatory very entertaining, at least for everyone. And Macross presents the best fighting scenes IMO though they're not some in each episode. SC has its load of action aswell but it's less 'spectacular' overally methinks... :)

On the other hand, it's the part of the show where you learn the most about the overall story: it links Macross and Mospeada together while giving to them their RT-esque essence... Therefore I understand perfectly that the majority of the members in there dislike it: it's very 'logical' in fact :p

DR.MOVIE IS DOING THE CG

DR.MOVIE WORKED ON

MACROSS PLUS

MACROSS 7

YUKIKAZI

BUT NO MACROSS ZERO???? WHAT GIVES???

THING IS, NOW THAT WE KNOW WHO IS DOING THE CG, AND WHO IS WRITTING THE STORY.

WILL THE NEW SERIES BE ANYTHING LIKE THE OLD?

WONDER IF YOU GUYS KNOW IF SOME OF THE OLD ANIMATORS STILL WORK AT THE SAME COMPANY?

:unsure:

DR MOVIE NEWS

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...any.php?id=1175

DR.MOVIE OFFICIAL SITE

http://www.drmovie.biz/english/company.htm

Edited by MEMO1DOMINION

Since this might be fodder for this thread, I just wanted to say right now that there is going to be at least one or more Macross related developments on the Harmony Gold end of things that might be announced VERY soon. I have absolutely no idea what they are, but just keep your eyes peeled.

Finally, an on-topic--if maddeningly vague--post!

Thanks for the information (seriously), but can you give a source or some indication how you know this?

Psychic powers! He can feel the incoming lawsuits through the force!

Finally, an on-topic--if maddeningly vague--post!

Thanks for the information (seriously), but can you give a source or some indication how you know this?

Psychic powers! He can feel the incoming lawsuits through the force!

It's as if millions of Macross fans all cried out at once, and were suddenly silenced.

By 'suddenly' I mean they wandered off and returned to their daily lives after another year or so of litigation.