Sony Playstation 3 (PS3)!

On the controller, I actually have a controller made several years ago for the PS1, it was a limited edition controller, it looks almost exactly like that. In fact it was called the "Boomerang" by the gamers at the time, no analog sticks but this was pre- analog controllers.

Anyway, I have to say that it is by far the most ergonomically pleasing controller I have ever used. Until you have held one and played a few games with it you may not like the look but seriously, give this one a chance I think the controller designs is bar far more "right" feeling in the hands than the PS-1 PS-2 standard controller and I love those things.

I like how the d-pad is now slanted to fit the angle of the wrist...

My pet peeve for almost all controllers: when will they slant the axis for the analog sticks? Or at least let the user calibrate the X and Y axis? For some reason my thumb seems to be stuck to X/Y axis relative to my wrist, instead of relative to the controller, hard to pull off certain combos like that :p

The design is alright... and the graphics look more then hi res PS2 games (unlike the PS2).... but whats with the games? Sequels and a remake? WTF... can't we start being original for once? :rolleyes:

Well... a proven game has an audience and that audience is who you can count on to buy the system. Since the system is extremely beta at this point, if they were trying to shove a new game down the audience's throat, the only thing the audience would have to tempt them would be Sony's "word" that it was a good game or a show off a decent trailer. And we all now that kickass trailers can be made for suckass games.

Also, by not trying to push new games, Sony isn't tying the success or failure of the PS3 to games that might perform poorly and they avoid having their system linked with a game that everyone hates.

Returning franchises are pretty much the ONLY reason I'll spend my money on something like this. Basically, all Sony needs to tell me is that Grand Theft Auto will be coming on the PS3... and I'll buy a PS3. It's that simple to me.

Controller looks fine to me, btw.

The design is alright... and the graphics look more then hi res PS2 games (unlike the PS2).... but whats with the games? Sequels and a remake? WTF... can't we start being original for once?  :rolleyes:

Well... a proven game has an audience and that audience is who you can count on to buy the system. Since the system is extremely beta at this point, if they were trying to shove a new game down the audience's throat, the only thing the audience would have to tempt them would be Sony's "word" that it was a good game or a show off a decent trailer. And we all now that kickass trailers can be made for suckass games.

Also, by not trying to push new games, Sony isn't tying the success or failure of the PS3 to games that might perform poorly and they avoid having their system linked with a game that everyone hates.

Returning franchises are pretty much the ONLY reason I'll spend my money on something like this. Basically, all Sony needs to tell me is that Grand Theft Auto will be coming on the PS3... and I'll buy a PS3. It's that simple to me.

I know, but gee, how far can you go with making new games for the same old franchises? I want new poo, I don't want to play the next generation with games from the old generation with prettier graphics

I just checked out all the ign.com insider videos for PS3. WOW. I told myself I was done with consoles, but, just wow. We're at the point now where companies need to spend 5 years on a title, otherwise either the gameplay or the graphics will suck. I definitely understand why they license game engines after seeing how immersive these games are going to be.

I'm intrigued by how powerful the PS3 is supposed to be, but that is by far the ugliest of the three new consoles, and the controller looks damned uncomfortable.

I expect that I'll end up buying one, but I might actually wait awhile for a change. I doubt I can afford one in spring (since I'll definately be buying an Xbox 360 at launch), and the launch games strike me as sequels in series that are past their primes.

I'm intrigued by how powerful the PS3 is supposed to be, but that is by far the ugliest of the three new consoles, and the controller looks damned uncomfortable.

I expect that I'll end up buying one, but I might actually wait awhile for a change.  I doubt I can afford one in spring (since I'll definately be buying an Xbox 360 at launch), and the launch games strike me as sequels in series that are past their primes.

So? The Xbox has shown nothing but uninteresting FPSs, and sequels to games that look like Xbox1 titles. This, my friends, is the face of the next generation LOL

On the Gundam game thing.... well poo Bandai! Yet another 1 year war game, way to go :)

Edited by Abombz!!

I expect that I'll end up buying one, but I might actually wait awhile for a change.  I doubt I can afford one in spring (since I'll definately be buying an Xbox 360 at launch), and the launch games strike me as sequels in series that are past their primes.

So? The Xbox has shown nothing but uninteresting FPSs, and sequels to games that look like Xbox1 titles. This, my friends, is the face of the next generation LOL

I suppose the difference is those "uninteresting FPS" do interest me. I was a big fan of the original Perfect Dark, so I can't wait for Zero. Besides, if I'm going to play uninspired sequels on both consoles, I'd rather play with the Xbox 360. At least it looks like it has a comfortable controller.

PS3 :  Gundam World trailer      TOTALLY AWESOME !   

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748465/vids_1.html

Must be IGN member to view. Please only post non-membership required links.

You can`t save it, just watch it. BTW if you trouble just go to GUNTOA.

OK. My problem is that I tried to view the QT version, but you need to be a member to see that, so I had to deal with crappy WMP.

The trailer's neat and all, but unless that's in-game footage (which I doubt), it's nothing better than what we've already seen from the PS2 with FMV.

The design is alright... and the graphics look more then hi res PS2 games (unlike the PS2).... but whats with the games? Sequels and a remake? WTF... can't we start being original for once?  :rolleyes:

I know, but gee, how far can you go with making new games for the same old franchises? I want new poo, I don't want to play the next generation with games from the old generation with prettier graphics

I agree with Abombz!! Its time for some new blood. But of course Sony is going to use existing franchises to get people to buy the PS3. They did it with PS2 and the PSP. Hopefully some new innovative titles will be mixed throughout the launch.

Tekken 6? Gran Turismo 5? Neither of those two series has evolved much. Especially Tekken, which I love. Another GTA game? yawn snore zzz

The PS3 controller looks alright. Button layout is basically the same. Which I like.

Why's the damned power switch in the back again!?! It's stupid to put an electronic unit's power switch in the back like that!!! Damnit! DAMNIT!!!

Dangard Ace- According the news release, The WiFI/PSP is so that the PSP can be used as a controller, with the the PSP screen giving you tactical information.

Don't panic. There's a switch in the front under the loading slot. It's flush so it probably is touch sensitive. It mars the aesthetic design when you have a flip switch sticking out in the front, so they put it in the back - just like the PS2.

PS3 :  Gundam World trailer      TOTALLY AWESOME !   

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748465/vids_1.html

Must be IGN member to view. Please only post non-membership required links.

You can`t save it, just watch it. BTW if you trouble just go to GUNTOA.

OK. My problem is that I tried to view the QT version, but you need to be a member to see that, so I had to deal with crappy WMP.

The trailer's neat and all, but unless that's in-game footage (which I doubt), it's nothing better than what we've already seen from the PS2 with FMV.

It's supposed to just be a technical demo rendered in real-time. It's not from an upcoming game.

How does this compare spec wise with the 360?

As near as I can tell, the Xbox 360 has more memory, more processing power, and better bus speeds. But the PS3 has an utterly insane video card.

I don't like the look of the thing much, standing up I thought it was a subwoofer from a 3rd rate instant surround sound kit. Laying down I thought it was a printer...

The controller looks quite unconfortable to boot as many have allready said. That said, I swore against PS2 when it came out but there's one sitting beside me now none the less.

I agree with Abombz!! Its time for some new blood. But of course Sony is going to use existing franchises to get people to buy the PS3. They did it with PS2 and the PSP. Hopefully some new innovative titles will be mixed throughout the launch.

Tekken 6? Gran Turismo 5? Neither of those two series has evolved much. Especially Tekken, which I love. Another GTA game? yawn snore zzz

Well... GTA has yawned and snored it's way to selling a pretty insane amount of games, bud. ;):p

But coming from a marketing perspective, it's really too soon for them to push new games yet. From where Sony sits it's a smarter move to push this as an advancement on all they've already built, rather than tie the PS3's future into a game that people may/may not love/hate.

Also, smart marketing would be to sell one thing at a time. Now they're showing off the console itself... the last thing they want to do is divert attention to explaining a whole new game.

The way I see it, new games come out every 5 minutes for both Playstation and XBox. The vast majority of them... SUCK. The vast majority of them also mimic what more successful games have already built.

I don't worry too much that new games won't be coming for the PS3 and XBox 360... I'd worry if any of them were worth $10, much less $50.

As near as I can tell, the Xbox 360 has more memory, more processing power, and better bus speeds. But the PS3 has an utterly insane video card.

When did X360 get 512+ megs of RAM? ;)

The processing power seems to be the same 3.2 Ghz. Which is pretty damned crazy by itself! Not even taking into account that PS3's Cell isn't running at full capacity. The custom video card takes the cake though! TWICE the power of any of Nvidia's own cards and would take around 900-1100 bucks to buy all by itself.

The REAL kicker is that Epic Games' Tim Sweeney(you know Unreal) says it's easy to progam for! Which was(is) the largest gripe that developers have had with both PS's.

The processing power seems to be the same 3.2 Ghz. Which is pretty damned crazy by itself! Not even taking into account that PS3's Cell isn't running at full capacity. The custom video card takes the cake though! TWICE the power of any of Nvidia's own cards and would take around 900-1100 bucks to buy all by itself.

The REAL kicker is that Epic Games' Tim Sweeney(you know Unreal) says it's easy to progam for! Which was(is) the largest gripe that developers have had with both PS's.

512 is pretty much nothing nowadays.

Just the video part of the ps3 spec sounds bit fishy.

Anyone notice that font used on the case is the same as the one from the Spiderman movies? Sony reusing stuff....lol
Since Spiderman and the Playstation are Sony's Cash cows, it's not surprising to see Spiderman movie font on the system...and there was Spiderman music in many of the trailers.

yup. :lol:

Even more awesome than GT5...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17/news_6125243.html

Gamespot announced a trio of MGS games being released by Konami:

MGS4(PS3)

-Online Battle Mode! The roxxor!!! Set after MGS2, Meryl, Otacon, and Revolver Ocelot are all back!

MGS4 teaser

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

-included versions of the two original MSX games(Metal Gear: Metal Gear: Solid Snake) :blink:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/mgs3...ew_6125264.html

Online multiplayer and a 3rd person behind-the-back view, I'm sold! B))

Metal Gear Acid 2

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Since Spiderman and the Playstation are Sony's Cash cows, it's not surprising to see Spiderman movie font on the system...and there was Spiderman music in many of the trailers. :lol:

I didn't even pick up on that. That's pretty funny. I wonder if anything Spider-man now will be made as launch games.

The Xbox 360 was first "leaked" to have 512mb of RAM through the image of a clock on the ourcolony.net thing, but it was firmly announced at the MTV thing. And last I checked, 512 is more than the 256 that they stuffed in the PS3.

Yes, the processing power in both systems is 3.2GHz. But, unless I read it wrong, there's one 3.2GHz Cell chip in the PS3, but three 3.2GHz chips in the 360. While that doesn't exactly translate to the same as having a 9.6GHz processor, that's still better than one 3.2GHz chip.

It's the video card that's the real difference. The Xbox 360 has a slick custom built card, but the PS3s card is insane. Too bad it lacks the Xbox 360's bus speeds, though.

Oh, and for the record, the original PlayStation was very easy to program for, since it used a version of C. Just the PS2 was a bitch to program for.

Both the Xbox and the Xbox 360 should be easy to program for.

Since Spiderman and the Playstation are Sony's Cash cows, it's not surprising to see Spiderman movie font on the system...and there was Spiderman music in many of the trailers. :lol:

I didn't even pick up on that. That's pretty funny. I wonder if anything Spider-man now will be made as launch games.

I don't know if Spidey will make PS3 launch, but a game based on the Ultimate Spider-Man comic book series will be out this fall. Apparently, you'll get to play some levels as Venom.