Light Saber

I had one of those plastic non-collapsing ones back in I think 1980... when you swung it around like a mouth-breather it made a whistling/humming noise. I fondly remember bashing several things with it back then.

Nowadays I feel like Graham does... sure they are neat and all but owning one, and admitting to it, is like shooing a giant dork flare into the sky for all to see. Plus with as much as those things cost my money is better spent buying things that go bang or parts for the cars. $300 is an awful lot of money for what is basically a glorified paperweight.

I have one of the small scale MR Vader lightsabers.

Had a MR Luke ESB, but someone else is giving it a good home (BSU, how's my baby?) right now (everything is always still my baby even long after I've sold it,)

He's resting comfortably at home, safe in his acrylic display case opposite his "Daddy" saber." :D

i have the old school hasbro one from 1980 something and it still works! :)

i was kind of in the market for one a while back but the MR's don't light up, the FX are totally budget, the parksabers are cool but cost way too much. maybe one day if i'm feeling exceptionally dorky, i'll pick one of them up. :p

the FX are totally budget,

Actually, from the reviews I've read the latest crop of FX sabers are almost identical to the regular non-functional prop replicas. If you like the ROTS designs, they're highly recommended.

really?

but does the sound chip still suck balls like the older ones? i got to play with the FX one a while back and the sound effects were kind of *makes fart noise*. its not as a bright as the PS and it takes like 6AA batteries as opposed the PS which only takes 1-9volt. plus you can upgrade the PS to be even brighter with an additional 9V.

eh, what do i care, i don't own one and the only one i want is the darth maul saber but its like $450+ and its not even licensed. :huh:

but does the sound chip still suck balls like the older ones?  i got to play with the FX one a while back and the sound effects were kind of *makes fart noise*.  its not as a bright as the PS and it takes like 6AA batteries as opposed the PS which only takes 1-9volt.  plus you can upgrade the PS to be even brighter with an additional 9V.

The sound is supposed to be greatly improved over the earlier generation FX sabers, and the LEDs are brighter too. Check out some of the prop forums for a better review than I can give you. They seem to love the new ones, and those guys are picky as hell.

And since you mentioned him, there's apparently a movement in the prop community to boycott Parks Sabers. He apparently kept an original piece he had borrowed for replication for far longer than he had agreed to, then returned it with parts missing and others replaced with his own reproduction components and denied the whole thing. Again, check the RPF for details.

Edited by bsu legato

I've never owned a toy lightsaber. We just used to use sawed off broomsticks when I was a kid.

I bought one for my godson a few years back and I played with it a little.

I'm holding out until one day science catches up with what's actually cool and I can get a real one. I'll probably be 113 years old.

but does the sound chip still suck balls like the older ones?  i got to play with the FX one a while back and the sound effects were kind of *makes fart noise*.  its not as a bright as the PS and it takes like 6AA batteries as opposed the PS which only takes 1-9volt.  plus you can upgrade the PS to be even brighter with an additional 9V.

The sound is supposed to be greatly improved over the earlier generation FX sabers, and the LEDs are brighter too. Check out some of the prop forums for a better review than I can give you. They seem to love the new ones, and those guys are picky as hell.

And since you mentioned him, there's apparently a movement in the prop community to boycott Parks Sabers. He apparently kept an original piece he had borrowed for replication for far longer than he had agreed to, then returned it with parts missing and others replaced with his own reproduction components and denied the whole thing. Again, check the RPF for details.

well that sounds cool then, i'll check out the FX sabers again since they're a bit more affordable. :)

PS getting boycotted? he did what? thats totally f-ed up! but who knows, maybe the person who lent it to him could be lying too? that guys been making sabers for a long time and i can't see why he would ruin his rep over this. :unsure:

WTH is RPF? :unsure: rebelscum prop forum?

WTH is RPF?  :unsure:   rebelscum prop forum?

LINKY

The thread about the transaction gone horribly awry is HERE

The thread about the boycott is HERE

damn thats cold, they totally blew up his spot over there. i guess he deserves what he gets for the obnoxious responses he sent to that dude.

Hey I was just curious, those light sabers you find on walmart or gamestops websites....the Anakin and Vader ones that are 100 bucks....those worth the cash at all? Can you mess around with them like you can with the Hasbro's? I was just curious...

Hey I was just curious, those light sabers you find on walmart or gamestops websites....the Anakin and Vader ones that are 100 bucks....those worth the cash at all? Can you mess around with them like you can with the Hasbro's? I was just curious...

yeah those are the FX sabers. you can swing away(not like a madman) and they make sounds. as BSU said, the new epi 3 FX sabers are a lot better than the older ones. the only thing that bothers me about them is that the blade doesn't come off.

I think Hasbro is supposed to be coming out with a "build your own" saber kit with different handles and blade colors.

I think I saw it on the Entertainment Earth site (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS84850&variation=&lg=1&) for about $40. Looks interesting, but I have to wonder how good it'll really be.

PS

I'm not up to speed with hypertext, so I don't know how to put the link in my message in a better way.

Oohhh a build your own kit would be very cool. To be honest, if I was good with molding and crap I'd probably be in the works of my own custom light saber for myself and a co-worker of mine. We're just swinging away with the Hasbro's we got nearly a month ago.

Actually we were here at work and we got ALOT of room in the section we work at being a huge parts department....and he and I challenge eachother a few times a week.

Well I was walking thru the lil walkway cause its just between shelves is like 2 feet of walk way...small small.

So as I'm walking down there I hear foot steps and the "CCHHHHRRRZ" for the power up and went "Aw crap!" as I got to the end and turned to my left of the corner I had mine swung out and met his like clock work.

We did some classic moves from the oldie films and I busted up some new stuff and before I knew it....I jabbed him in the eye...... :unsure:

I had a Hasbro Vader one, but I broke it fighting with my friend in the park.  He had the Luke one...

Ouch.

You shold've cut his hand off. :p

Who says I didn't? :huh:

Same friend who bought the Force FX Master Replica Anakin saber showed me today that he actually home made one with some metal and rubber pipes and a chopped up windshield wiper. It was actually pretty impressive.

I had a Hasbro Vader one, but I broke it fighting with my friend in the park.  He had the Luke one...

Ouch.

Same friend who bought the Force FX Master Replica Anakin saber showed me today that he actually home made one with some metal and rubber pipes and a chopped up windshield wiper. It was actually pretty impressive.

:o

Can you get a picture of it?

I've got several of the MR .45 scale sabers, plan to get ROTJ Luke and AOTC OBi-Wan soon.

Just bought a Vader ESB FX last week. BTW, Borders (yes, the book store) and GameStop sell them for $99, much better than BestBuy's $120. I wanted Anakin, but Vader's all I could find. Will probably still snag Anakin's when I find it. REALLY want a Qui-Gon, maybe late next year they'll have one. Anyone have both a Vader and a blue one to do a brightness comparison? I do think a blue one would be brighter, based on both photos and how blue LED's seem inherently brighter than red.

Also have the Hasbro ROTS color-change. Good for practicing how to twirl a saber. :) (Though FX's are much easier---smaller diameter, better balance). But if you should drop an FX while practicing....

PS---no matter how hard I try, I cannot photograph my FX to get the "white core with colored aura" effect. Anyone know how? Lots of people seem to get it without even trying. Pretty sure it involves over-exposure. I can make it appear pure yellow though. :)

yellows not a bad color lol...maybe over the weekend I'll go check out borders but I think I'll get one eventually before the movie comes out, anakin or vader don't matter to me.

Personally I don't really like the color change blade...while the blue shows up decently, the red is piss poor during the day time...so unless its in the middle of the night or lights out, I can't proudly express my red blade of death....

reading this thread makes me think of the episode of "the venture brothers" on adult swim when dr. venture has the yard sale, one of the monarch's henchmen buys a "lightsaber" and then tries to fight brock with it.

for the record, i had a $5 knock off of the hasbro ones back in college. me and a couple of my buddies went to see the special edition of ROTJ in the theaters, then went to a bar next door. at about 2 in the morning, we were drunk as all hell and stopped in a convenience store on the way home for some snacks. they had the fake hasbro sabers there, we each got one and proceeded to make fools of ourselves by having our own little saber duel in the dorm lounge. i think we all broke them in about 20 minutes.

right now, i wouldn't mind getting one of the MR props to display but $300 is way out of my price range. I would only be willing to spend around $50 for one.

Ouch.

:o

Can you get a picture of it?

Well, I'll ask him, but my wife went back to China to visit her parents, so I won't have my digital camera again until the end of the month.

I got something for you guys if you wanna check it out.....course I"m like REALLY far away....http://groups.yahoo.com/group/project_macross/files/ its IMAG0018.ASF, 4 second movie with me! ......and a light saber!

the bigger, the more lights, the longer, the more expensive light saber you own, the more you are compensaiting for other things. Like an old man that buys a corvette ect.... :ph34r:

the bigger, the more lights, the longer, the more expensive light saber you own, the more you are compensaiting for other things. Like an old man that buys a corvette ect.... :ph34r:

That's obviously not true, as my light saber I really want has no blade, no light, costs nearly nothing, and is actually small enough that I can grasp in my hand comfortably, and I KNOW that I need more compensation than most.

I don't have a lightsaber.

Just a glow-in-the-dark piece of latex.

here's my FX one I bought today.....the only good picture I could take with me holding it....

Man...

you should take pic of the hilt, not the glowing stick :blink:

I have the Hasbro Vader one from 1995 and 3 or 4 of the el cheapo(but retractible fully into the hilt) ones.

I was very very tempted to buy the Anakin ROTS one. If they had the Obi-Wan ROTS/ANH hilt that would have cracked me. Thats my favorite.